Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Re: Regional Championship THE South Webster Jeeps vs Berlin Hiland

Post by IVCguy »

I think the challenge SW will have is being defended constantly close without breathing room. It's hard to adjust to. The Northside Christian coach cited that as a primary issue his team had against Hiland. He said he tried other sets but Hiland had them well-scouted and were prepared. Exactly. If you haven't seen it, it's difficult to simulate in practice and adjust to once the game starts.

How quickly SW shows they can handle the pressure put on them offensively by Hiland's defense will be something I will be looking for tonight early. Conversely, how Hiland is dealing with the two biggest match up issues they have on both ends with SW.

Max Preps has Hiland rated the #8 team in D4 and SW at #9.

Enjoy everyone.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

What year was it that SW won the state title?

Crazykid33
Waterboy

Post by Crazykid33 »

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

I think I've seen Eli Roberts at least 8 times in the last two years and you cannot deny he is a talented basketball question. I haven't anything about his prospects as a next level player, though I am not really privy to those conversations. Does anyone know any schools currently interested and reaching out to the kid?

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:35 pm I think the challenge SW will have is being defended constantly close without breathing room. It's hard to adjust to. The Northside Christian coach cited that as a primary issue his team had against Hiland. He said he tried other sets but Hiland had them well-scouted and were prepared. Exactly. If you haven't seen it, it's difficult to simulate in practice and adjust to once the game starts.

How quickly SW shows they can handle the pressure put on them offensively by Hiland's defense will be something I will be looking for tonight early. Conversely, how Hiland is dealing with the two biggest match up issues they have on both ends with SW.

Max Preps has Hiland rated the #8 team in D4 and SW at #9.

Enjoy everyone.
IVCguy, I had a question you may know. I was trying to think back throughout the years for this question and I think I have to be missing someone. Who was the last Hiland boys basketball player to go to college and play basketball as a recruit? I know there has been some good basketball players who went on to play baseball in college (Andy Miller, Todd Ropp), but I can't remember any guy who played basketball in college since Seger Bonifant and Dylan Kaufman. If those are the last ones, that is a crazy drought for Hiland and makes what Coach Schlabach done the past decade look even MORE impressive. To win 8 straight districts and have multiple final four appearances without a college basketball player is just insane.

For South Webster fans that don't have a clue about Hiland, this is their standard. They win with anyone.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I wish our own South Webster Jeeps the best tonight vs "the machine" the Hiland Hawks ... watching Hiland beat Southside Christian it was simply a "methodical" beat down ... Hiland is plays fundamentally sound basketball - when they are playing their best AND in control of the game ... I don't by that Hiland is the underdog - they have played as tough as schedule as can be had no matter the division - they are prepared in that they are familiar with "whatever" an opponent can/will throw at them due to their strength of schedule ... yes they are down size wise - "down a Yoder" if you will that of 6-8 sr. Alex Yoder ... BUT they are so well "oiled" /"schooled" they have overcome that setback, morphed into a new version of themselves ... they beat a "huge" size-advantaged Linsly WVa team - after seeing Linsly twice this season - that in itself is all I need to know ... The Jeeps will NEED all men on deck tonight ... understand that the game WILL BE a game of runs - it's basketball - their response to the runs will determine this one ... and YES! they need HIM to be HIM tonight, to get tough, draw on his talent and get it done ... Sommer has to play a HIM like game as well ... with solid contributions on the scoreboard from everyone else - they don't have to have the game of their lives - just have to keep the defense of Hiland honest ... going to be fun !!! I'm leaving now !!! my loan was approved! - I can get a pizza & Water with a box of Peanut M&M's on the side ... life is good !!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Crazykid33 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:04 pm2006

That's what I thought. The OH$AA website had it all screwed up and I couldn't find it on the history page until I clicked on the field of 64 tab.

I just noticed that the team SW beat that year in the final, Columbus Grove, knocked off the AP #1 team in Ottoville in the District semi-final game.

Thanks!!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Good luck Jeeps

Crazykid33
Waterboy

Post by Crazykid33 »

Best of luck to the South Webster jeeps tonight as they take on Berlin Hiland!

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

All the best to my Jeeps! Leave nothing on the court and let the chips fall where they may.
Win or lose, I am proud of these guys and am looking forward to next year as well!!

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

allOhiotraveler wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm
IVCguy, I had a question you may know. I was trying to think back throughout the years for this question and I think I have to be missing someone. Who was the last Hiland boys basketball player to go to college and play basketball as a recruit? I know there has been some good basketball players who went on to play baseball in college (Andy Miller, Todd Ropp), but I can't remember any guy who played basketball in college since Seger Bonifant and Dylan Kaufman. If those are the last ones, that is a crazy drought for Hiland and makes what Coach Schlabach done the past decade look even MORE impressive. To win 8 straight districts and have multiple final four appearances without a college basketball player is just insane.

For South Webster fans that don't have a clue about Hiland, this is their standard. They win with anyone.
Oh, gosh. I would have to look at the rosters and make some calls. Andy Miller played baseball in college - I know that for certain because he is an extended family member. Lol. Not sure about Todd Ropp. I think he played basketball in college.

Hiland will generally have a DII-III college player or two on their roster. More III than II.

Someone else may have kept track of this better than I have.

The girls have produced quite a few mid-major DI type of players over the years, but a ton of DIII and II.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

12-6 Jeeps after 1

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Basketball is much easier when the ball goes through the basket for you. Very hard for Hiland right now. Lol

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

Jeeps owning Hiland 21-7. Truly surprising. But it’s early.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

23-9 3:40 2nd

JEEPS WANT IT BAD

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

If the board is right, South Webster just missed its first shot with about 4 to go in the second quarter

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

I think they are handling Hiland's defensive pressure just fine. Lol.

Hiland needs to keep this thing within reach by half.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

allOhiotraveler wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:22 pm If the board is right, South Webster just missed its first shot with about 4 to go in the second quarter
And Hiland is stone cold. My guess is this evens out to be a close game late in the 3rd quarter or early 4th.. we’ll see.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

23-12 Jeeps halftime. Hiland three to end the half. They’re calling fouls for Webster but on the floor

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:09 pm
allOhiotraveler wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm

Oh, gosh. I would have to look at the rosters and make some calls. Andy Miller played baseball in college - I know that for certain because he is an extended family member. Lol. Not sure about Todd Ropp. I think he played basketball in college.

Hiland will generally have a DII-III college player or two on their roster. More III than II.

Someone else may have kept track of this better than I have.

The girls have produced quite a few mid-major DI type of players over the years, but a ton of DIII and II.
Hiland girls always have college basketball players, D1-D3. But I really can't recall the last Hiland guy who has played basketball in college, though I always do assume they have a college player.

Return to “Boys Basketball”