Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #9

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
earp
S

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #9

Post by earp »

PFloyd,I just watched WSAZ and they had South Point winning that game at Peake! :?:

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

earp wrote:PFloyd,I just watched WSAZ and they had South Point winning that game at Peake! :?:

:|

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

I was at the game. Trust me, South Point did not win. They led most of the game but in the last quarter it fell apart for them. Peake won by 7.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia is 6-9 now.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Chesapeake seizes control of OVC race
Mark Webb/The Herald-Dispatch

GRANT TRAYLOR

The Herald-Dispatch

CHESAPEAKE, Ohio -- It took three quarters for Chesapeake boys basketball coach Ryan Davis to finally get what he wanted out of the Panthers on both ends of the court Thursday night.

In the fourth quarter, Chesapeake scored 28 points while getting after the basketball on the defensive end to earn a 68-61 win over South Point in a battle of the Ohio Valley Conference leaders.

"I thought we played a little tentative early," Davis said. "It took us until a little ways in the second half and especially in the fourth quarter to get a little more aggressive."

The game was expected to be a shootout between a pair of AAU teammates as Chesapeake's Nathan Copley and South Point's Blake Barnes took center stage.

However, this game was about the supporting casts, and Chesapeake got much better support for Copley.

"Their role players stepped up a little bit, and today ours didn't the way they are capable," South Point coach Chris Barnes said.

Austin McMaster led Chesapeake (12-3, 7-0) with 18 points. Center Colin Kennedy added 16 points. Trent Saunders netted 10 points while grabbing 14 rebounds.

Their contributions helped offset a night when Copley shot 4-of-13 from the field. Copley still finished with 17 points with an 8-for-8 performance at the foul line.

McMaster hit the game's two biggest baskets to lift the Panthers to a lead they didn't relinquish in the fourth quarter.

The Panthers had one possession in the fourth quarter that lasted nearly two minutes before McMaster scored a layup off a back-door feed from Peter Hintz to give Chesapeake a 47-45 lead.

Less than a minute later, the game was knotted after a Greg Taylor layup, but McMaster got free and hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key to trigger a 10-2 run that seized control of the game for the Panthers.

While McMaster and Kennedy took care of the offensive end, the defensive play of Saunders on South Point's Ethan Prater was important.

Prater did not have a field goal after the first possession of the second half, and Saunders' defense allowed the Panthers to focus on Barnes, who saw his looks get harder as the game progressed.

"For three years, he's been a great post defender," Davis said. "To his credit, with Colin underneath, he can go out and defend the perimeter as well. He can step out and guard a big or a small forward if they are there. He's done a great job for us and does a great job on the boards."

Barnes finished with 22 points, but had just two field goals in the second half and finished 7-of-23 shooting. Prater finished with 14 points.

The Pointers' duo came out hot from the floor and led South Point to a 14-4 lead early with several of the shots coming from deep. South Point (10-6, 6-1) was 9-of-18 from 3-point range.

Cody Taylor added 11 points for South Point in their first loss of the conference schedule.

Chris Barnes said the defeat does not deter his team from its goal of an OVC championship.

"It was a knock-down drag-out between two undefeated teams (in the conference)," Barnes said. "I told my guys after the game that all they did was what they were supposed to -- hold serve at home. Now, we have to take care of Rock Hill and Coal Grove so we can do the same at our place. We still have a chance at the title if we take care of our business."

The rematch is Feb. 19 at South Point.

SOUTH POINT 16 12 14 19 -- 61: Barnes 22, Mitchell 5, Prater 14, C. Taylor 11, Winkler 5, G. Taylor 4.

CHESAPEAKE 12 15 13 28 -- 68: Pe. Hintz 7, Copley 17, McMaster 18, Saunders 10, Kennedy 16.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks for the game info ovc fan ... looks and sounds from the read that this one was as good as it was billed ... two very good basketball teams in South Point and the 'Peake ... both well coached (Coach Davis - peake and Coach Barnes - Point) ... the rematch Feb 19th will be a dandy with the home court advantage going to SP ... lots of post season implications imo, IF the Peake can beat Point in a hostile environment like SP, it bodes very well for Coach Davis & Co. to do well in the 2nd season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the season is coming into the "train wreck" part , where teams due to cancellations are trying to fit the regular season into 10 days or so of available game days ... just read on the South Webster thread that SW has 4 games in the upcoming week - wow! I'm sure there are many others that are in the same season ending regularly scheduled menu PLUS makeups to get played before the post season starts ... tough on the kids ... time for the "court side" men to do their magic in keeping legs as fresh as possible, subbing from down the bench - we'll see who has been able to play deep down their benches , getting valuable pt for some of those 7,8,9 roster players ... team depth will play a big factor as the regular/makeup seasons come to a close ... whatever the schedules bring us we'll be watching from the Cheap Seats as the Road to the Convo is coming into view ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Pink,,,,strap yourself in,,,the fun is just starting.....some teams will respond and some will not...this next two weeks is going to be one crazy ride for the kids...and then just when these two weeks are over guess what,,,we start the cut-throat part of the season---PLAYOFFS you just have to love high school basketball!!!!
wipalawalt

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... wipalawalt ... no doubt about it - THIS is the time of the year that I enjoy the most - games at the end of the season that DO mean so much ... seeding for sectional play but a week away ... the "survive and advance season"begins with sectional play ,THEN we have the "3 Weeks of the Convo - Basketball Thirty" ... old pfloyd is still trying to figure out how to get down on the main floor scorers table with the "napkin stats" book or even the "Pfloyd 'puter" lol ... may have the credentials this year with the one and only Pfloyd Tour Purple Hippo T-shirt LOL ... you think Mr. Horvath of "basketball thirty" announcing fame has heard of the "purple hippo" ? - I doubt it lol ...

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

Might as well get the elite (8) cranked up for tomorrow. God knows the next one on 2/14/10 will be interesting with all the makeup games.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia is 6-9

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... question for the SHL folks ... on the C103 website ... it shows the Eastern Brown record at 9-5 ? I have them at 11-3 on my napkin stats sheets? the C103 site shows EB with 2 forfeits??? 1 to Western Brown and 1 to Georgetown both in the Holiday Tourney - what's the scoop?

N B Heat
Freshman Team

Post by N B Heat »

pfloyd Valley is 11-4 on the season , not that it will make a difference just wanted to update you they won at West Fri. night.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

NB Heat ... thanks for the update - this time of year with ALL of the makeup games, schools trying to get the games played as dates come open ANY and ALL help with game results, records is greatly appreciated ... this next week will be a napkin stat nightmare LOL !!! snow moving in again Monday night and Tuesday ...

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

pfloyd wrote:... question for the SHL folks ... on the C103 website ... it shows the Eastern Brown record at 9-5 ? I have them at 11-3 on my napkin stats sheets? the C103 site shows EB with 2 forfeits??? 1 to Western Brown and 1 to Georgetown both in the Holiday Tourney - what's the scoop?

First I've heard of it...I'll ask around.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”