Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 16th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Westfall won 76-53. Gibson 21 and Boring 19 for the Mustangs.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

I have seen Fairland and Vinton County. There is no doubt in my mind that Fairland can play with VC. Beating Belpre by 11 does not convince me that no solid team can play with VC on a neutral floor. The last time I checked, FH was leading Belpre 53-23 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The JVs finished the game. Yes, that does not mean FH is better than VC, but it does say VC can be contended with by a lot of teams.

Now, can teams on VC's schedule contend with them? Not likely, but the audience at the Convo will see soon enough.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Top two then everybody else.

VC will have a nice record but really folks they play the weakest schedule of any D2 school in the southeast. Will they beat any D2 or D1 school before the seeding meeting (or do they even play one)??

a_c_m
SEOPS H

New Boston

Post by a_c_m »

New Boston is 4-2 on the year with wins over South Gallia, Symmes Valley, Ironton St.Joseph and Clay. The losses were to Sciotoville East in OT and West.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good opinions across the board ... it's great when your opine is supported by facts etc. ... agreeing to disagree is the name of the game ...

... 5 of 6 games at home so far ... the New Boston wins over So. Gallia/SV/Ironton St. Joe were ALL at home ... the only road game so far this season was at Clay (a win) ... East/West both beat NB at the Glenwood Gymnasium ... I'm not sold on the Tigers - lets see what happens tomorrow night with their 2nd road game of the season - this one at Green ... ALL seniors minus 2 juniors on the NB squad - 4 of 5 starters off of last years 4-17 team are back ... we'll watch 'em ...

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

fighting_falcon wrote:Top two then everybody else.

VC will have a nice record but really folks they play the weakest schedule of any D2 school in the southeast. Will they beat any D2 or D1 school before the seeding meeting (or do they even play one)??

Before you start your uninformed coments you need to do your homework. VC has already beat a D2 school in Athens by 50+. As for the rest of their schedule they have to play 10 conference games in the TVC Ohio and 2 from the hocking by contract. That leaves 8 games Jackson D2, Waverly D2, Huntington D3(I Think), SouthEastern D3(I Think), Philo D2, Waterford(will probably win Hocking Division), Zane Trace D3 and Athens D2. This is not a bad schedule considering Waverly, Jackson and Southeastern traditionally have decent programs. Reguardless what you you think of VC's schedule they belong at # 3 until someone proves they deserve it more.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Orestes wrote:I have seen Fairland and Vinton County. There is no doubt in my mind that Fairland can play with VC. Beating Belpre by 11 does not convince me that no solid team can play with VC on a neutral floor. The last time I checked, FH was leading Belpre 53-23 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The JVs finished the game. Yes, that does not mean FH is better than VC, but it does say VC can be contended with by a lot of teams.

Now, can teams on VC's schedule contend with them? Not likely, but the audience at the Convo will see soon enough.

Was this game in Belpre or Fed HOck? Lets hold this coment until after Belpre travels to McArthur. VC will win that game by 20 +.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

pfloyd-chilli plays North College Hill this saturday, not Winton Woods.

Mhs82-off night? you get 40 and probably the game of his life out of your superstar and wanna call it an off night? you got beat when you were at your best.

Bluegrass, while i agree that VC is the 3rd best team regardless of who they play, that schedule is unbelievably weak. but VC cant help that, all they can do is win the games on their schedule. it will just be tough to tell how good they are b/c those teams are all nobodies. Waverly, Jackson, Southeastern, in other years might prove to be measuring sticks, but all 3 are down bad this year.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I would take the dragons over the V.C. any day but I'm biased. The top 2 are untouchable.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the pocket schedule has Winton Woods ... either way it will be a good game ...

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chillicothe does play 3 time defending champion north college hill at US bank arena in cincy.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Waverly, Jackson, Southeastern, in other years might prove to be measuring sticks, but all 3 are down bad this year.

Yes, but those games were scheduled sometimes two years in advance.

What schedule do you prefer them to play? They are bound by conference affiliation to play 13 TVC games, 10 in the Ohio Division and three of the Hocking Division. However, Coach Combs has never been afraid to sit at the big table, Waverly, Philo, Jackson, Athens, Huntington, Zane Trace and Southeastern. Schools with solid programs and in close proximities of VC. Who do you expect them to play? ASVSM, North College Hill or Oak Hill Academy, oh wait Wellston done that and people on this forum called them stupid. So it is intriguing that people can second guess or belittle a team's schedule when they have little or nothing to give to the said school.

There is fine line between scheduling to be competitive and tested than scheduling to be beaten and discouraged. I assume you are hoping for the latter.

I have seen Fairland and Vinton County. There is no doubt in my mind that Fairland can play with VC. Beating Belpre by 11 does not convince me that no solid team can play with VC on a neutral floor.

Why do you continue to bash VC? All we have done is nurture our youth program, have established junior high coaches, develop players, have a very sound support system and have coaches who are committed to the kids and the program. And that equates to wins and we have won with class. Our program is no different (maybe the exception of tradition), than that of Wheelersburg, Warren or so on. Our hope is to be fortunate enough to mention with all of the established programs, in time. Until then it is ok for you to kick us around, especially if you feel better.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If you are arguing your strength of schedule and Athens and Jackson are you positives...you don't play a tough schedule.

Jackson has 3 SEOAl titles in 80 years and ZERO in 16 years...and have been to the district like 5 times in their history.

Vinton County is VERY good........they willl not upset or come close to anyone who is figured to beat them in the tourney.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

I wasnt on here saying Jackson and Athens were benchmarks on VC's schedule. I was saying traditionaly Waverly, Jackson and Athens have competitive programs and are D2 teams on VC's schedule. This was in response to fighting falcons post that VC plays no D2 programs. And in Hawkeyes defense these schedules are made a couple of years in advance. There just are not a lot of D2 or D1 schools in the area to play. I think VC has done great things with thier scheduling from previous years. Not to mention next year there will be no ties to the Hocking division and I would expect to see a stronger schedule.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I92, strength of schedule? Where is the formula for that in Southeastern Ohio High School Basketball Ratings? Let's not bring the BCS into this.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

In all honesty playing tougher potential games like Logan Elm, Warren, Marietta, Circleville or tougher smaller schools like Burg, North Adams, Adena....I don't think it does anything to them getting past Chilly in the tourney. I do believe that such type games would give them an even better chance of beating the teams they may face like Logan Elm, Gallia Academy, Warren Local and Greenfield....I believe they can beat those teams anyways.....but would be more likely to beat them playing a little tougher schedule.

Best of Luck to them.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

hawkeyepierce wrote:
I have seen Fairland and Vinton County. There is no doubt in my mind that Fairland can play with VC. Beating Belpre by 11 does not convince me that no solid team can play with VC on a neutral floor.

Why do you continue to bash VC? All we have done is nurture our youth program, have established junior high coaches, develop players, have a very sound support system and have coaches who are committed to the kids and the program. And that equates to wins and we have won with class. Our program is no different (maybe the exception of tradition), than that of Wheelersburg, Warren or so on. Our hope is to be fortunate enough to mention with all of the established programs, in time. Until then it is ok for you to kick us around, especially if you feel better.

If I were Fairland, I would be insulted. I didn't realize that saying Fairland could play with VC was considered bashing the Vikings. I have said plenty of times that VC has a good team. I just said Fairland could play with them. I apologize if any feelings were hurt.

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

DShanton: Our best was against Upper Sandusky - Chilli was a bad game. Dante played well, no one else got off the bus. But it happens, Chilli did not have a great game against the Tigers the year before. Logan Elm had a bad half against McClain a couple years ago also. Vinton County had an off second half against Chilli last year - they played right with you the first half. My point is that the best team can have an off night (or even half) and get knocked out be a team playing great on that particular night. Chilli is a very good team, but if they don't come to play 32 tourney comes around, there are several teams that can send them home early.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

mhs82-any team with an elite ball handling guard will have their best game against Upper. my beef is the fact i believe Chilli was the better team, period, and you speak as if they only won because McClain was "off". All of Dante's heroics werent enough to beat Chilli when it had almost always been enough his whole career except when they played a better team in the tournament. which is what happened last year.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Chillicothe was easily the better "team" last year. The best player almost carried his team to a victory though.

It was an awesome game to everyone who went to watch that had no dog in the fight.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”