Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Which team would YOU have as the Preseason #1 :

Total votes: 0

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

Post by pfloyd »

... it's finally time - the last weekend of the "regular" season was in the books last week, while quite a few teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio are still putting on the pads Friday and Saturday night as they have been invited to the "2nd Season" on the Gridiron ... for some of us THE SEASON is just around the corner - High School Basketball Season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... to this end the Preseason Elite 8 is being posted to get ALL of Southern/Southeastern Ohio "thinking" hoops, thinking about how not only THEIR team fits into this years mix but the teams in each of the seopsters viewing area as well ...

... the 2008-09 season will be unlike any we have witnessed for many years - I for one have been following high school hoops Below the Line for longer than I care to admit - it is the first time that I have had to account for the "move in" variable as a major factor in what will be taking place on the hardwood ALL ACROSS Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... one will be hard pressed to find a league in Southern Ohio that does NOT have that "species" of animal - "a move in" - that will not be a deciding factor in the outcome of this years league play ..; more importantly a league that doesn't have "a move in" that will play a major role in determining representative teams in the "one and done" season as well ... for those of us in the cheap seats the addition of the "move in" factor just makes the hoops more exciting, gives us hoops junkies a chance to watch the SEO masters of court side - the coaches - work to develop a chemistry , work to develop TEAM on the court ... should be exciting ... to that end here is the first edition of Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio for the 2008-09 campaign ...

Pfloyd’s Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Preseason

1. Chillicothe ... Coach Kellough LOST Ray Chambers, Humpty Hitchens, Stu Beverly to graduation BUT before they took their games to the next level they left CHS, their fans and more importantly the underclassmen for the Cavs with a State Championship - THE GOAL to reach for every year from now on for EVERY CHS hoops athlete that puts on a Cavalier uniform - can't leave a legacy better than that ... Coach K has the nucleus of another fine ball club led by Seth Dawes, Caleb Knights ... some big shoes to fill for the newcomers to the Cavs varsity ... CHS imo won't hold onto the top spot this season but as the State Title holder they deserve the chance to defend, someone will have to take it away from them ...

2. Zanesville ... Coach Aronhalt has developed one of those "programs" that reloads every year ... losing players the caliber of Logan Aronhalt, Cedric Harris, Andre Harris, Shane Centers would have the "normal" hoops team looking to gain experience, with maybe a run the NEXT year ... BUT we ARE talking about "the 'ville" and the "system" here - solid fundamentals at both ends of the court, a JV team from last year that as been IN the system, KNOWS the system, AND knows what putting on the ZHS uniform means - championships, district/regional/state expectations every year ... Joe Prati will be the 'big man on campus" for the Blue Devils ... look for the 'ville to continue their winning ways entering the 08-09 season ... as with Chilli - the road will have bumps in it this season, but the "system", the "coach", the "schedule" will have the "'ville" ready for the post season when all is said and done ...

3. Logan Elm ... Coach Stiverson has taken a page out of the books of the best coaches in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - built a "program" that year in year out can/does hold it's own with the best in Ohio ... when you start talking hs hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio Logan Elm inevitably is mentioned in the top 5 every single year ... great defense, outstanding perimeter shooting, solid fundamentals ... hmmmmmm sounds a whole lot like Zanesville/Chillicothe descriptors to me .... the Red & White of LE would have been good with the senior year of Tim Congrove, Chad Holbrook to work with BUT Coach Stiverson has added size in the paint with Logan Hauserman (Adena) and MORE perimeter shooting/ballhandling w/ the addition of Teays Valley guard Brandon Amann - can you say loaded ! this doesn't take into consideration the LE JV contributions yet ... look for LE to start strong and keep improving right on down the Road to the Convo ...

4. Ironton ... Coach LaFon has built a reputation for himself for developing very physical, defensive minded footb - I MEAN BASKETBALL squads ... speed, defense, the services of 8-9 players per game ... this year should be more of the same WITH ,in my opinion, more basketball talent to work with on the floor, a "deeper" 8-9 players - Dustin Green (one of the best players in SEO), Johnathon Schweikart, Tim Kochendoerfer, Lukas Morris, Erin Edens AND the additions of the Big Man in the Middle & Behind the Arc Michael Lamb (Fairland) along with PG from WVa Malcom Morton ... I am excited to see this team on the floor together - a handful every time they step on the hardwood...

5. Piketon ... Coach Lisath has quietly assembled one of the most talented teams in ALL of Southern Ohio ... size, ballhandlers, defense, perimeter shooting, the ability to get to the rim - good luck coming away with a "W" vs Jordan Brabson, Jordan Miller, Evan Legg, Cody Smith, Keenaw Brush et. al. ... my understanding is that the Redstreaks took their show on the road playing teams from the Cincinnati area this past summer and represented themselves just fine ... shhhhhhh - they are talking 20-0 in Piketon this season ...

6. North Adams ... Coach Young ... a 19-4 finish last year, losing to Fairland in the Convo ... look for the Devils to be better than last season ... Kraig Unger, Sam Louden, Tyler Rothwell, Carter Nehus, Tyler Jimison, Chase Burns, Andrew Roades, and Alex Newman all return to take the Green & Gold back to the Convo District play ...

7. Oak Hill ... Coach Persin and the Oaks were Regional finalists last season, this year Coach Norm has virtually the same team back on the floor Kyle Ondera, Jesse Sloan, Westen Hale, Ryan Borden, and JD Hale ... the Oaks look to be THE team in the SOC - I know Wheelersburg with Stegman & Co. WILL be a force again BUT 5 of a kind (all 5 returnees) beats a pair - at least in the preseason LOL ...

8. Portsmouth ... Coach Shoemaker has the luxury of working with all 5 of his returning starters from last season - Cory Reeves, Andrew Bendolph, Jacob Stevens, Nate Cadogen, Anthony WIlliams , throw in Forrest Johnson and "move in" Tory Horne ... the Trojans are out to stop a 6 season losing record skid that is "unPortsmouth like" in itself , dreams of challenging for the SEOAL can be realized this season IF as trojandave has said since summer ball started - IF PHS buys into "defense being the key" on every possession ... look for the Trojans to have a breakout year - the talent has been assembled - we'll be watching from the cheap seats to see IF the Red/White and Blue are in fact a TEAM to be reckoned with or but a good collection of "individual" athletes ...

... there you have it the Preseason Elite 8 for the 2008-09 hoops season ... lots of wiggle room for the Treehugger Wannabees to move on up as the season progresses - the Wheelersburgs, Greenfield McClains, Warrens of the world are lurking, waiting their opportunity to jump back into the familiar territory - the Elite 8 ...

... Treehugger Wannabees...

Warren
Greenfield McClain
Wheelersburg
Logan ... best group of "basketball skill" athletes in a long time for the Purple
Alexander
Adena
Vinton Co.
West Union
Waterford
Manchester
Peebles
Zane Trace
Fairfield Union
Portsmouth East
Northwest
Fairland
Belpre
Trimble
Federal Hocking
Chesapeake
Reedsville Eastern

... End Table Teams ...

Eastern Brown
Minford
Meigs
Waverly
Eastern Pike
Western Pike
South Point
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Marietta
Southern
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
Jackson ... Coach Larry Jordan deserves to make at least the End Table List
Gallia Academy

... there you have it , as always "I'm Pfloyd and I approve this list" - couldn't resist the political season intermixed with Hoops season LOL ... the list is out for debate, feel free to agree, disagree - give us information on teams we (me) may have left off the list, teams that we should be watching as the season draws near ... opinions BACKED by information are more than welcome and encouraged ... bashing of teams, posters is discouraged and you will find few if anyone who will respond or acknowledge your posts ...

... a big welcome back to all of the past readers, posters of the Elite 8 from both the old huddle and seops ... the Purple Hippo and I are looking forward to yet another great regular season as we begin yet another trip down the Road to the Convo ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good.....nothing anyone can really debate.....though many will..including myself!

A lot of info. What's the bigtime frosh for Chilly's name?

I would have Oak Hill higher, they have all returned from last year are very, very, talented, well-coached and again....experienced with each other.

I would look for Peebles to move up your list.

Good Job

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Ironman92 ... thanks - I don't mind anyone disagreeing with my list , as long as they have valid facts to back up their argument ... you have never disagreed with me - have you? LOL ...

Chilly has the freshman big boy at 6'7" Malik London up front with 6'5" Dawes and 6'5" Ron Smith ... the youngster will have to grow up fast with the schedule Coach K has put together ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What did Waterford lose?

I see VC, Waterford and Western Pike making moves up the chart.

A lot of moving of players it seems.

I'm not sure West Union will be that strong......but have certainly done well the past few seasons.

Guru
Waterboy

Post by Guru »

Why didnt Valley make any part of this list?! Guess its a good thing to fly under the radar ;-)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... guru ... when a team hasn't made any ripples the last couple of years , AND even if they have some studs coming up for this season, they have to do it on the court when the season gets underway ... believe me IF the Indians of Lucasville start taking care of "bidness" on the court when play begins they WILL be on the radar of my committee of one - me ... would be good to see the Valley fans and ball club back in the Convo - what do the Indians have coming into this season that we should be watching for? size (do they have the 6'8" towers back!!!) ? give us some insight into this years Lucasville squad - thanks ...

Guru
Waterboy

Post by Guru »

The Indians will be returning 3 starters in Cameron Arbaugh(1st team SOC)Who Led the Indians in scoring and rebounding last year, Zach Utley who has proven to be a good scorer capable of dropping 20 on a given night, and one of the purest point guards I have seen in a long time in Treg Cunningham. The Indians dont have much for size B.J. Coleman is the biggest coming in at 6'5". What the Indians do have is shooters!!! They have 5 or 6 guys who are more than capable of shooting 35+% from 3 (Cam Arbaugh, Zach Utley, Josh Winters, Blake Yates, Treg Cunningham,Brian Zimmer, and John Webb). With the run and gun style Coach Villinger likes to play this team will be very dangerous.

I also wanna add that this same Indian team beat a fully stocked Portsmouth team at Cedarville's team cmap this summer.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Guru thanks for the heads up on the Indians - sounds like a team for the committee of one - me to keep an eye on as the 2008-09 campaign opens up in a few weeks ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Good stuff pfloyd.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a question for those of you who follow high school hoops Below the Line - does your team have "Open Gyms" with other schools? ie. Logan having Athens players attending Open Gym in Logan, then Logan players going to A'town for Open gym ... is this something that is done a lot around Southern/Southeastern Ohio? ...

balla4life
Riding the Bench

Post by balla4life »

fairland beat portsmouth at cedarville too. and we beat valley

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

They beat both without their starting point guard Matt Bloomfield. I look for the dragons to make some noise this year. We will be quicker than just about anybody the question will be rebounding.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd: Our starting 5 from last year's tourney game vs. Zane Trace was Andrew Bendolph, Forrest Johnson, Corey Allison, Anthony Williams, and Nate Cadogen......all 5 are back for this year.........Jacob Stevens, Zack Link, and James Lawson are back as well for their senior seasons......Corey Reeves graduated and came off the bench late last season. Junior Tory Horne(5-11) will figure very prominently in the Trojans' rotation.....I watched him in open gym and he has a very smooth game. He will make PHS deeper at the 2 or 3.

Corey Allison is about 6-3 now, while Williams is 6-6 and Cadogen is 6-7. Bendolph is 5-9 and Johnson is close to 6-1. Stevens is 6-1, Link 6-5, and Lawson 5-10......6-3 senior Nick Nelson will contribute.........Coach Shoemaker has a lot of options in his rotating lineups. Junior Patrick Underwood, 6-2, and sophomore Tre Underwood, about 6-3, should see some good minutes as well. Hopefully junior London Malone will decide to come out.......he would give us more depth at guard.............

The official roster hasn't been determined yet........but this is the bulk of what the Trojans will look like in 2008-09.

Portsmouth plans to really push the ball up the court...........and I think they have the depth to do so. Look for a good bit of full court or 3/4 court pressing from the Trojans.

As I have said before, if the Trojans commit themselves to defense......and they have shown signs of that in open gym, there's not a team on their schedule or in SE D3 they can't beat............offensively, they will be very tough to defend..............it will be tough for teams to zone them or man up.......they have 5-6 kids that knock the 3 down and can kick it down low to Williams or Cadogen for points in the paint.

Portsmouth was up and down during the summer because they didn't commit on the defensive end........but it seems the tide is turning..........the kids are finally getting it that trading baskets is not the way to win, especially against the good teams............hopefully they will come out with an "attitude" on D vs. Greenfield McClain and carry that throughout the season and tournament.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

With the transfer, Portsmouth is as talented as anyone in southeastern Ohio. Trojandave, I kow that you have been looking forward to a season like this for a few years. I look for the Trojans to be a handful all year long.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pembrook burrows: It has been a LONG 6 straight losing seasons that we have been through........I have sat through every game............and some of those games were over by the first quarter. I know we will be good, but how good we will have to wait and see. It could truly be a special year. I sure hope so.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good stuff trojandave ... thanks for the PHS rundown ... all ANY team who wants to join the ranks of quality teams has to do is look at the successful teams that make tourney runs ... it's ALL about DEFENSE - that tough man to man that forces an opponent out of their rhythm, moves players from those 'favorite" spots on the floor they are used to shooting from, forcing the big men inside to work to get that entry pass from the perimeter ... that pressure forces "tired" passes, poor judgment in shot selection ... td you and i both know that defense for 32 minutes puts "W's" on the handy dandy pocket schedules ... Portsmouth is one of the teams that I'm looking forward to seeing ...want to get to Chilli to see that PHS vs Greenfield McClain game - I'm sure I'll see AND HEAR you there dave LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pfloyd - My old tree-huggin, pink floyd listening, basketball junky of a pal ... The top 8 looks terrific! I need to learn how to use the graphics on this website, like I had down to a science on jjhuddle ...lol

[color=#40FF40]Now, for any rebuddle on your admissions of the top eight teams in southeastern Ohio ... Im gonna have to get back to ya ... I've been schooled in the 'arts & science of the BCS college football rankings formula' ... That's where Ive been the past four years ya know, training, learning, etc...etc... on how to rank and solve complex equastions involving athletic teams ... Just so I could add some contrast to your 'liberial' ideology when it comes to southeastern Ohio basketball teams ... :mrgreen: ... Since im now BCS certified, I can't offer up a top 8 until at least two-to-three weeks into the season, that's the mandate for any certified BCS ranking official.
[/color]

Since I will be attending waaaay more games than ever before this season, my insight, especially in the TVC-Ohio & TVC-Hocking should be quite stellar ... Not only that, I will be at just as many girls basketabll games so maybe ol 93 'Dog will add some luster to the original top 8 and add my own 'Girls" top 8 in SEO and just let you handle the fellas ...

I'll be back soon to add my 2-cents into the world of SEO Hoops! I know you've probably missed your counter-part and wrote me off for dead Floyd; But their can't be a Ying w/o a Yang ... A Tree Hugger w/o no Tree ... A Hippy w/o no grateful dead to follow ... A Floyd lover w/o The dark Side of the Moon in his CD collection ... I would say you can't have a Chieftain w/o a Bulldog to fight with; but we both know that went down the drain ... DARN IT!

Peace Floyd

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... read your first post earlier - figured it was just my "old timers" acting up on me BUT seeing your post this go around makes me believe that "the 93dog" just might make it through the upcoming season AND camp out with old pfloyd at the Convo during the "3 weeks of the Convo" come Feb/March ... my take on 93dog doing all of the TVC action both boyz and girlz is the dog is doing some tv/radio/newspaper action ... what do you have going there 93dog? ...

... as far as the Elite 8 ? you are more than welcome to take on your old role in posting your Elite 8 - it was a good thing we had going when we did our thing on the huddle a few years back , enjoyed the back and forth ... learned a lot about the hoops of Southern/Southeastern Ohio when we both did the Elite 8 ... when the 93dog disappeared I just kept doing what I do - watch high school hoops, keep my napkin stats, and reporting on the teams/players/coaches Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

... here on SEOPs you'll find some great posters as well - they know their stuff - jottings, gahs, locos, I92, b618, daniC, of course all of our Portsmouth huddlers Ozzie, trojandave,biggdowgg ... VC's - hawkeyepierce, not even going to try to name others I will miss too many of them which isn't fair to the job they do in helping to keep me and all of us informed during hoops season ...

... I'm sure we will run into each other as the season gets rolling ... I've started putting together a calendar of "must see" games including some scrimmages that should be outstanding to watch from the cheap seats ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... congratulations to all of the football programs Below the Line that have ended their outstanding seasons on the gridiron this past weekend ... a few days off for those athletes that are coming out of football before turning their attention to getting into basketball shape ... the OFFICIAL day for hoops season to begin is tomorrow - Nov. 10th - tryouts, or initial practices as it is for most ... looks like Logan Elm/new Lex are still playing FB into the 3rd extra week of the post season - good luck to both - stay healthy ... I know Logan Elm head coach Doug Stiverson has to be holding his breath every play with Adam Blake, Logan Hauserman both on that advancing LE football team ...

... to everyone else - WELCOME ! hoops scrimmages are but a week away ... I'm pumped and ready for the indoor stuff to start ... the cheap seats are awaiting those of us who enjoy the game of basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... IM still giddy here after celebrating southeastern Ohio's first STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN 27 YEARS!!!

EXCELLENT JOB SPARTANS!

BTW Floyd ... Have you noticed a certain young Spartan hoops player that you and I scouted about four or five years ago? Come on now, think ...

She was our "MVP" at the Southeast District finals at the convo ...lol... A tough, solid rebounding machine with ball skills and who scored at will verse three and sometimes four other boys trying to defend her ... GRINSTEAD! lol ... I can't wait to see her in action this year as a high school player since I do believe I personally labeled her the next Katie Smith after seeing as her as 4th grade superstar ... lol

One last thing, I can't believe nobody told you why I returned to the sports scene yet ... I may not have my expertise knowledge making its way to the preps page or the huddle that much - but, you could have found 93DOG all over the Athens County landscape this fall if you were to have looked at some other sources of reading besides the internet ... lol

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”