Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Which team would YOU have as the Preseason #1 :

Total votes: 0

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

Post by pfloyd »

... less than 2 weeks until the Pfloyd Preseason Elite 8 hits SEOPs ... Oct. 31st ...

CoachClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by CoachClaytor »

I totally agree ironman, d4 should be very competitive this season, as it has the past few seasons.

oak hill71
All State

Post by oak hill71 »

Ironman92 wrote:Coach Claytor.......D4 is up for grabs I think, with every team having a chance....except for maybe Western Pike.

Seriously,

Western
Manchester
Whiteoak
Trimble
Waterford

and maybe Oak Hill will be ok

Considering Oak Hill returns all of their starters from a team that made it to the Regional Finals last year, I think they will be better than ok.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

^^^somebody cant read sarcasm... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a well deserved honor was bestowed on the late Jim Myers - former Editor/Sports Editor of the Logan Daily News, a 50 year fixture in the sports community of Hocking County, and the state of Ohio - the school board last night voted to name the new basketball facility on the new Logan High School campus the "Jim Myers Gymnasium" ... Jim Myers WAS basketball in Logan/Hocking County ... NOW - Jim Myers will continue to be a fixture in Logan Hoops both girls and boys for years, and years with the naming of a facility where he would have spent countless hours preparing the youth of Hocking county for play on the hardwood ... the naming of the gym gets the pfloyd seal of approval ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... trojandave ! ... a new hoops "stud" for P'town? ... Tory Horne? his brother Justin is 6'5" - what kind of size does Tory bring to the floor for the Trojans? ... PHS brings back its experienced starting five from last seasons cast of characters PLUS another athlete in Tory Horne - trojandave I KNOW you stayed to watch the Open Gym - what's T. Horne bring to floor for the Trojans? ... PHS keeps moving up the Preseason "napkin stats" list td ...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave/bigdogg,

Quit sandbagging. The P-Town hoopsters will be for real this year. Nothing like having experience. You have the experience, talent and depth. They belong in the TOP 8. They will be there all year.

The Cavaliers are looking pretty good (minus all the football players). We will hopefully be a few weeks behind (if we can get a playoff run going). However, the young kids are working hard.

For an early look, Dawes is going to be a stud. If the stripes let him play, he may not see but one or two that can match his physical size. He is much stronger and looks quicker then last year.

We don't have Knights, Smith or Benson (all starters most likely) due to football, but I do see better (experience) depth this year. Coach K. will have his hands full determining who the 6-10 guys in the rotation are. The others will push. With a very talented sophomore class (combined with the lean and long London (frosh), this group of 20-25 kids is going to be nice. Look for us to start peaking around early January as we did 2 years ago.

I will be posting the Chillicothe Hoops Showcase info (Fri Dec 5 and Sat Dec 6th) in the coming weeks. Cavs do kick it off on Sat night with a rematch with Cincinnati North College Hill and that talented bunch. We will also get to showcase the P-town Trojans vs Greenfield McClain in the night cap. McClain as always will show up with the D and patient offense. Will be interesting to see this matchup.

Will be checking in soon....

GO CAVS!!! 2008 D2 STATE CHAMPS!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hitchbone64 wrote:trojandave/bigdogg,

Quit sandbagging. The P-Town hoopsters will be for real this year. Nothing like having experience. You have the experience, talent and depth. They belong in the TOP 8. They will be there all year.

The Cavaliers are looking pretty good (minus all the football players). We will hopefully be a few weeks behind (if we can get a playoff run going). However, the young kids are working hard.

For an early look, Dawes is going to be a stud. If the stripes let him play, he may not see but one or two that can match his physical size. He is much stronger and looks quicker then last year.

We don't have Knights, Smith or Benson (all starters most likely) due to football, but I do see better (experience) depth this year. Coach K. will have his hands full determining who the 6-10 guys in the rotation are. The others will push. With a very talented sophomore class (combined with the lean and long London (frosh), this group of 20-25 kids is going to be nice. Look for us to start peaking around early January as we did 2 years ago.

I will be posting the Chillicothe Hoops Showcase info (Fri Dec 5 and Sat Dec 6th) in the coming weeks. Cavs do kick it off on Sat night with a rematch with Cincinnati North College Hill and that talented bunch. We will also get to showcase the P-town Trojans vs Greenfield McClain in the night cap. McClain as always will show up with the D and patient offense. Will be interesting to see this matchup.

Will be checking in soon....

GO CAVS!!! 2008 D2 STATE CHAMPS!!!

Dave and My self, have learned to wait and see things develop.

we had, what was going to be a really good team, a few years back, only to found out, right before b ball season started, that 3 seniors that was a big part of things, decided they was not playing their senior year.

so from then on, we like to see a game or two, and go from there 8)

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

TrojanDave posted this on jj.s.

Since it seems that it is public knowledge now, reportedly Portsmouth is supposed to getting a very nice transfer this week in Tory Horne, a 6-0 junior from Port Clinton and the brother of Shawnee State player Justin Horne. Tory averaged 14.0 PPG for the Redskins as a sophomore, and although I have not seen him play, is reportedly very quick with a nice all around game.....he scored a high of 26 points vs. Sandusky last season. He will be a nice addition to the Trojans' desire to full court press teams.

he also posted , that it was official, and Horne did enroll at Portsmouth, on Monday,and participated in open gym.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

So what is his residency status, is he staying with his brother at Shawnee State? :122248

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

OakHill71....anyone who posts what I did about Oak Hill is either too ignorant to even respond to or they are being sarcastic.

I was being sarcastic.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

biggdowgg wrote:TrojanDave posted this on jj.s.

The depth for the Trojans just got deeper. If the kid can gell quickly then that will be a nice rotation in the backcourt. I can see the Trojans going with 3 or 4 smalls with one big from time to time. Tough to slow down.

Since it seems that it is public knowledge now, reportedly Portsmouth is supposed to getting a very nice transfer this week in Tory Horne, a 6-0 junior from Port Clinton and the brother of Shawnee State player Justin Horne. Tory averaged 14.0 PPG for the Redskins as a sophomore, and although I have not seen him play, is reportedly very quick with a nice all around game.....he scored a high of 26 points vs. Sandusky last season. He will be a nice addition to the Trojans' desire to full court press teams.

he also posted , that it was official, and Horne did enroll at Portsmouth, on Monday,and participated in open gym.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... less than a week away from Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Preseason Edition ...

... a good mix of established "systems" , teams trying to return to a level of play from days gone by , teams that are knocking on the door - needing only for the season to start to "unleash" their potential .... yes there are the potential "sleepers" - those teams that on paper beg to ask the question "who are these guys?" ... and finally we'll have a group of teams that "are" in the mix because of what the head coach, the program traditionally brings to the table - teams that reload , teams that can't even spell rebuild ...

... looking forward to "letting the beatings begin" come next Friday Night - how appropriate Halloween Night as the official night that HS Hoops talk in Southern/Southeastern Ohio begins with the Pre-Season Edition of Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the first meeting of the "committee of one" has just broken up ... word has it that the hour long discussion focused solely on coming up with a preliminary list of the top 8 teams ... about 25 teams were scratched down out on "napkins" , arguments for and against were presented, discussion of head coaches of the teams under consideration , "systems"/"programs" vs teams were laid out ....... the next meeting of the "committee of one" will convene Tuesday evening with the Elite 8 on schedule to be released Friday Night - Halloween Night ... the agenda shows that those on the "Treehugger List" will be etched out with the Elite 8 to be finalized ...

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

CAGE STANDINGS
(2007-08 All-Games)
(Final)
GAHS, Opponents
Team W L P OP
*-Chillicothe……….25 2 2006 1341
Wheelersburg.. 21 3 1422 1066
Zanesville……… 21 3 1761 1168
Greenfield……. 19 4 1156 902
Chesapeake…… 17 6 1521 1261
Warren Local…. 15 7 1246 1193
Ironton……………. 13 10 1323 1311
Logan……………… 12 9 1359 1190
Rock Hill………. 11 10 1137 1169
Fairfield Union 11 10 1104 1102
Portsmouth………. 9 12 1377 1580
Meigs……. ……… 9 13 1295 1334
Gallipolis…………. 8 14 985 1133
Marietta…….…… 7 15 1207 1284
River Valley……. 6 15 1299 1374
Jackson…………… 3 18 1021 1473
Athens……………. 1 20 1090 1684
*-State Champions
SEOAL Only
Varsity
(Final)
(North Division)
Team W L P OP
*-Zanesville…… 13 1 1051 599
Warren Local… 10 4 811 713
Logan………….. 9 5 908 846
Marietta…….. 4 10 729 822
Athens…………. 1 13 686 1110
Totals 37 33 4185 4090
*-League champions
(South Division)
Varsity W L P OP
Chillicothe……… 13 1 1055 598
Ironton…………. 8 6 753 790
Portsmouth…. 7 7 944 951
Gallipolis………. 4 10 624 748
Jackson………… 1 13 642 1026
Totals 33 37 4018 4113
Combined 70 70 8203 8203
SEOAL Reserves
(Final)
(North Division)
Team W L P OP
*-Zanesville………. 12 2 865 499
Warren Local…… 11 3 731 618
Logan…………….. 8 6 723 662
Marietta…….. 5 9 602 674
Athens……………… 3 11 634 860
Totals 39 31 3555 3313
*-League champions
(South Division)
Team W L P OP
Ironton…….. 10 4 704 554
Gallipolis……. 7 7 600 658
Portsmouth 6 8 623 655
Chillicothe…… 6 8 680 668
Jackson………. 2 12 443 698
Totals 31 39 3050 3238
Combined total 70 70 6592 6592
Sectional Tournaments
Division III at Jackson
Feb. 11 result:
Ironton 64 Rock Hill 52
Feb. 12 results:
Chesapeake 64 Wellston 34
Federal Hocking 60 River Valley 55
Division IV at Waverly
Feb. 12 result:
Zane Trace 80. Portsmouth 74
Feb. 13 results:
Division I at New Albany
Independence 62 Logan 48
Feb. 13 result:
Division II at Wellston
New Lexington 59 Jackson 53
Meigs 75 Athens 58
Feb. 15 results:
Division II Sectional Finals at Wellston
Marietta 56 Sheridan 47
Gallipolis 50 Fairfield Union 49
Division III Sectional finals at Jackson
Ironton 57 South Point 53
Wheelersburg 73 Belpre 35
Division II Sectional Finals at Southeastern
Washington CH 57 Circleville 51
Logan Elm 78 Northwest 46
Feb. 16 results:
Division 11 Sectional Finals at Southeastern
Chillicothe 78 Hillsboro 50
Greenfield 48 Unioto 28
Division II Sectional Finals at Wellston
Warren Local 68 Meigs 57
Vinton County 44 New Lexington 33
Division III Sectional Finals at Jackson
Chesapeake 57 Federal Hocking 56
Fairland 67 Alexander 60
Feb. 18 result:
Division I Sectional Finals at New Albany
Zanesville 88 Columbus St. Charles 51
Division II District Semifinals at OU
Feb. 21 results:
Chillicothe 77 Marietta 47
Logan Elm 51 Warren Local 32
Feb. 22 results:
Vinton County 60 Washington C. H. 59
Greenfield 43 Gallipolis 35
Feb. 23 result:
Division I District Semifinals
at Columbus Fairgrounds
Zanesville 64 Dublin Jerome 52
Feb. 24 results
Divison III District Semifinals
At Convocation Center, Athens
Ironton 71 Peebles 60
Fairland 66 North Adams 50
Huntington 72 Chesapeake 56
Wheelersburg 70 Piketon 35
Feb. 29 results:
Division II District Finals at OU
Chillicothe 49 Logan Elm 48
Vinton County 56 Greenfield 55
March 1 result:
Division I District Finals
Columbus Fairgrounds
Newark 53 Zanesville 48
March 1 results:
Division III District finals
At Ohio University
Fairland 68 Ironton 61
Wheelersburg 61 Huntington 47
Mar. 5 results:
Division I Regional Semifinals
At Fairgrounds Coliseum
Newark 70 Trotwood-Madison 64
Division II Regional Semifinals
At Ohio University
Columbus Ready 46 Wheelersburg 44
Sugarcreek Garaway 67 Fairland 57
Mar. 6 result:
Division II Regional Semifinals
At Ohio University
Chillicothe 89 Vinton County 42
March 9 result:
Division II Regional Finals
At Ohio University
Chillicothe 71 Meadowbrook 49
March 13 result:
Division II State Semifinals
At Ohio State University
Chillicothe 78 Poland Seminary 70
March 15 result:
Division II State Finals
At Ohio State University
Chillicothe 70 Toledo Libby 69 (ot)
Chillicothe Division II State Champion
(First SEOAL Team In
83 Years To Win State Crown)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Jottings for the "stats" from last season ... was reading down the list of games played - some great contests we were privileged to be able to be witness to ... wow ... the Chillicothe vs Logan Elm game stood right out there ... I'm sure we will be in for more of the same in the season that IS ...

... I hope you continue to keep the running records of all of the GAHS opponents this season as you have in all of the seasons past to present ... can't remember a season gone by that you haven't kept us all informed - thanks ... from those of us who have had the pleasure of your "stats" from jjhuddle days to SEOPs ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the committee of one - me held an "unscheduled" meeting this evening to work on the TreeHugger Wannabee List and the Teams that will be starting out on the End Table in the preseason ... a very good working session if I don't say so myself ... the Elite 8 looked good after having 24 hours to let the selections sink in, not much movement from last night ... the Treehugger Wannabees & Teams on the End Table are more fluid lists for sure ... I'm sure these lists will have a little different look come Friday Night when the Elite 8 goes up on SEOPs ...

... probably the biggest factor of uncertainty to start this 2008-09 regular season are the number of "move ins" or "move outs" in all the leagues in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ... unbelievable the numbers of players moving from school district to school district in all of the leagues not just one or two ... we have "imported" players from Australia at 6'5" (Eastern Brown), a 6'9" foreigner for Trimble named Nemanja ... PHS draws down from Northern Ohio with another athletic swing man in Tory Horne ... Adena adds to the Clay Roll, Buddy Barnes duo Ben Bowers from Unioto ... Ironton pulls the big man from Fairland - Michael Lamb and goes into that foreign country of West Virginia to pick up PG Malcom Morton ... Logan Elm loses one big man to graduation only to have big man Logan Hauserman from Adena join the Braves along with sharp shooting Teays Valley . guard Brandon Amann ... Jackson loses one to Wellston, Wellston grabs Casey Love from Oak Hill, Prater from Vinton Co., and a player from Jackson ...and on and on the merry-go-round turns ....... this is only a portion of the transient players in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ..... my head is spinning trying to figure out who gets all the players to be named later !!!! ....

... things will sort themselves out - what chemistry comes together as TEAM and which mixture is but a collection of individuals ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PFLOYD ... MY OLD PALL!

A lot of these folks on the SEOP web site probably don't remember the originations of the "ELITE 8", or what was really 93DOGS TOP 8 IN SOUTHEASTERN OHIO!
:mrgreen:

TRULY ONE OF THE GREATEST THREADS IN THE HISTORY OF JJHUDDLE - 93DOG & PFLOYDS TOP 8 OR ELITE 8 WAS A PIECE OF WORK THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED, PRINTED, FRAMED, BRONZED, BOOKED, ETC...ETC....

Now, for this year and a possible comeback? maybe, I will be seeing A LOT more games and teams than I ever had before so my knowledge and experience getting to watch so many games, players and teams is intriguing if I were to put that knowledge back to work with the weekly top 8 ... lol ... problem is floyd, I will already be doing a ton of writing so I'm not sure my brain and figures can take it ... but we'll see.

Send me an e-mail via this website so i can tell a few things ...

Peace - my long-haired, sixties music listening, basketball junky of a friend.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just remember 93bulldog......"Whiteoak" is one word!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: I have watched Tory in open gym, but he has been nursing a sprained ankle for about a week now. But Thursday the ankle wasn't bothering him that much.......and I liked what I saw. He has a solid jumper from the outside but showed he can also drive to the bucket. He looked smooth and under control to me.......

Tory most likely will play the 2 or 3 in the Trojans' rotation.....he's about 5-11......and he will give us another legitimate threat from the perimeter.......Portsmouth right now has about 6-7 guys who can score from the outside, so it will be even tougher to zone the Trojans............combine that with the inside presence of 6-6 Anthony Williams and 6-7 Nate Cadogen........and PHS will be a very tough team to defend.

One thing that the coaches want is for our kids to PUSH the ball up the court. We want to beat teams down the floor, and take full advantage of our athleticism. PHS should have a deep enough rotation to push and keep pushing the ball..........

hitchbone64: Good to see you posting again.........Portsmouth and Chillicothe should have two great games this year........and I really am not sandbagging.......I am optimistic, but we really haven't proven ourselves on the court yet........no question the talent is there, now we just have to go out and post W's..........and of course step up the D..........that is what made your Cavaliers state champions.......not just outscoring people, but by scoring and getting stops, over and over and over...........

We want that same mindset at Portsmouth, and it seems like the kids are now realizing that trading baskets is nothing more than trading baskets, and not the way to win games, especially against the good teams..........everybody from coaches to fans and anybody else has been reminding them of how they need to get an "attitude" on defense.

Can't wait for the start of the 2008-09 season............6 straight losing seasons are coming to an end this year for our Trojans.........and we have a chance to be VERY GOOD.............how good we shall see.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”