Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Bronc21
All Conference

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason

Post by Bronc21 »

danicalifornia wrote:I'll make my yearly argument for Coach Hoops and the Unioto Shermans! Yes, we lose our top 3 scorers and a nice role player off of the bench, but after losing CC20 for half of the year, several underclassmen were able to step up and a new spot shouldn't be overwhelming for anyone.

Returning with year to be
Logan Swackhammer, 6'1 Jr. Averaged 9.2 PPG and 4.9 apg. Was only a handful of assists away from a school record. Swack set a single game assist record (14 vs Adena) and also had a stretch where he completely took over at times scoring the ball. A bit more freedom to get his shot and he should have another outstanding campaign. A sleeper for SVC POY, imo.

Brandon Kennedy, 6'1 Jr. Averaged 10.8 ppg, shot 46% from 3. Was one made 3 away from entering the state record book for 3pt accuracy in a season. This kid can shoot and showed flashes of being able to get to the tin as well. Another year in the weight room will help his game just that much more. BK is a stud

Gabe Fisher, 6' Jr. Averaged 5.2 ppg and 4.6 rpg. Started a good bit the 2nd half of the season. Freak athlete who can score on the interior and even shot 36% from 3. He works his tail off in the offseason and will only get better.

Peyton Hill, 6'5 Jr. Averaged 5.1 ppg in 14 games. Hill had a couple of huge games after sitting half of the year after transferring. Strong, good footwork, and crazy athleticism will carry him far. Had a breakout performance today at the Hidden Gems Showcase.

Clay Edler, 5'8 Sr. Unioto's spark plug who does all kinds of little things to push the Shermans. Makes winning plays.

Casey White, 6'1 Sr. Lanky shooter who got tougher as the year went on. Shot 34% from 3, but was around 45% once the calendar turned to 2016.

Newcomers: Nick Adkins (6'5 Jr), Trey Ivey (5'11 Sr)

Improvements to the schedule are coming as well. Maybe not the preseason #1 again this coming year (I'd go with Fairland personally) but it should be another great winter in Frenchtown.
you forgot to mention senior to be 6'5 Gavin Ogan returning Dani...

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Pfloyd should be nothing but good things out in beaver for my eastern pike eagles. I look for season 2 with coach barrick to be a good one with the boys having another year of experience with coach barricks system. eagles return pretty much all of their scoring.

Ethan leist- honorable mention all state,1st team coaches and AP district 14,1st team soc and 1st team all southeastern ohio.

Clay Martin- 1st team soc, 2nd team coaches and AP district 14 and 3rd team all southeastern ohio.

Tyler Hale- honorable mention district 14.

add in Evan leist who will be a great PG, Quentin Alley, Gabe Gambill 6'5, Dalton Tomlinson 6'4 and Mike Miller 6'3 all are good ball players with another year of growth and learning. I'm sure all the eagle faithful are just like me and can't wait to see this team next year GO EAGLES.

GO EAGLES
EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Agree brown 22, really excited for year 2 under coach barrick, expectations r gonna b high. Along with the names u mentioned , a couple other names to throw out there are soph to b Cody weaver , I think he is a talented player , I am excited to see how he improves his game over the summer , and another name is freshman to b Hunter Cochenour , if he can add a little muscle over the summer , and get a little more aggressive on the defensive side of the ball it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the varsity level next year, he has a chance to b a special player for the Eagles over the next 4 years.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

East returns the entire team off of a team that went to the District Finals, returning a core group in Lowe, Brown, and Scott. Brown who arguably the best player in D4. Along with role players who will be a year older. If one of them step up and give another threat from deep or get a transfer that will provide that they could very well be in the top 8 of the pfloyd rankings.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Way-too-early SOC II prediction:

1. Burg
2. Oak Hill
3. Minford
4. South Webster
5. Waverly
6. Valley
7. Northwest
8. West

As for top 8, really only see Burg challenging for consideration in a down SOC II next year. POY likely between Holden and Zimmerman.*

Go2thebasket
Waterboy

Post by Go2thebasket »

Being the most familiar with SOC 1, one of those schools like Western, as mentioned East or Eastern or even Clay or ND as almost everyone of them bring back there starting 5 and will get better and could crack the top 8 at some point. Probably only Western or East with their deeper tourney runs could make the preseason Top 8. I like Western's coach and the Perdue kid is tough plus I'm hearing they may benefit from a couple transfers. East will only get better if they all stay healthy as most of them (Brown, Lowe, Scott - D1 lineman most likely) all play football and are pretty good at it, Eastern with the Leist brothers and Martin and the rest of the boys using the vertimax will be out jumping the competition, Clay having got knocked off the pedestal will be interesting to see how they respond - Gilliland led them in scoring and averaged a double double but King is their floor general and does the best at creating his shot and disrupting the other team, Hinze I'm told actually led them in assists and when 'on' can change a game quickly and Riffe was their 4th player to average double figures this past year and lastly ND is always tough as Mader gets his teams to play a grind it out half court physical game, they will defend you especially Kayser and with a tall penetrating guard in Turner and an athletic forward in Butteoyte (sp?) I wouldn't want to take them for granted. Green will not be a push over as those freshmen (Kimbler, both Carvers) will be sophomores and NB and SV would have decent years if not for the having half of their schedule against the schools already mentioned. The team to do the best in SOC I will be the team that forces the other team to play their tempo and their style of game.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Go2thebasket: nice summary of SOC I for next year. First time in a long time you can argue that it may be stronger than SOC II from top to bottom. Really not much separating Eastern, East, Western, Notre Dame and Clay. Green will be better and Symmes Valley is always a tough game. I could very easily see 2 SOC I schools in D4 regionals next year.*

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan loses 4 starters. But they have a ton of young talent. Starting lineup could feature 3 sophs, a junior and a senior. New coach will have a full cupboard of young talent for the next few years.

Live Like A Champion!
Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Vinton County should be strong again this season with Tristan Bartoe running point avereraged around 18 a game.Derick Jones averaged around 14 a game and 5 rebounds.Both are working with trainer and playing AAU. Then you have Na ylen Yates witch came on strong in post season and is working with a trainer and all three including Caleb Montgomery is in weight room and with trainer .Bo Mcyintire suffered knee injury will be back with his hard work and therapy Then u have 6 foot 8 inch Bryce Damron and young Jake Speakman that can handle the rock then you have Two post players in Eligh Griffy and Camron Hammond which are young but talented and Shawn Mcarty who can flat out shoot the rock needs to get stronger very athletic

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Sorry to forget Nevin Yates for vc very talented and working hard

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Next year the TVC will be Athens vs Vinton. My guess is co champs 13-1

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Will be fun to watch hope Lutz rehab is going good.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Kind of sucks he has to miss part of AAU. He just got on OBC this year

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Yes it does very good athlete I have watched him play since 5th grade great parents to.

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Waiting on the preseason picks excited.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Don't forget about FU and MT. They both return A LOT from their Convo runs last year.

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Miami Trace should be tough they do return alot very athletic.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

OVC prediction..
1. Fairland
2. Portsmouth
3. Ironton
4. South Point
5. Chesapeake
6. Coal Grove
7. Gallia Academy
8. Rock Hill

ROLL PEAKE
LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Trojans lost the player of the year, finishing 2nd would be strong in deed

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If the Trojans can somehow make up for the HUGE loss of Kyre Allison, then I think they could have a very good season.......but filling that hole in the lineup is much easier said than done. There is some talent coming back, but collectively they will have to step up their game. Senior Kendal Reynolds is only about 70 points from joining the 1,000 point mark at PHS. When he does pass that mark, he will be the 4th player in Coach Eugene Collins' 8 years to reach that coveted milestone. Wayne Evans, Dion McKinley, and Kyre Allison have already joined that exclusive club.

Fairland deserves to be the preseason Pfloyd #1 team, and also should be tabbed as the prohibitive favorite in the OVC. They went 14-0 last year in conference play, and it will be interesting to see if they can repeat that mark in 2016-2017. They certainly will get Portsmouth's best effort along with everyone else.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”