Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Post by Coach Kelley »

Piketon played great team ball tonight and beat Westfall 81-60. Westfall was undefeated in the league until tonight, so this moves Piketon into a tie for first place with Westfall. This game was over early and Piketon had way too many weapons...5 players in double digits for the streaks...Piketon outrebounded Westfall 42-24 (napkin stat)...Best game of season for the streaks from start to finish...Defense was outstanding! 5-9 from 3' land, and around 80% FT shooting for the game...

Piketon:

Jordan Brabson 18pts, 11 rebs., 2 blocks
Evan Legg 18 pts, 5 assists
Cody Smith 16 pts, 6 rebs.
Caleb Southworth 12pts, 11 rebs., 3 blocks
Keenan Brush 11pts, 5 rebs, 3 blocks

Westfall:

Zak Smith 20pts,
Bryant Gibson 12pts,
Travis Burleson 11pts.

Piketon now 10-1 (6-1)....another big game Friday night at home versus Zane Trace....Piketon has some debt to repay from its only loss of the season! Should be a fun game at the Oven.

Floyd, we'd love to have you over for a visit in the land of the infamous lion!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

From the Northwest Territory...

Canal Winchester 74 Logan Elm 70
CW- 8-2. 5-1
CW - Five scorers in double figures, led by Aaron Barber with 17 points and 13 rebounds.
CW - 26 of 46 from the field.
LE - Brandon Amann 28 points, six rebounds. Tim Congrove 13 points and Tyler Pritchard 10.
LE - 8-1, 4-1
LE - Without point guard Adam Blake due to illness. Illness going through several members of the team right now.

Take nothing away from CW - they are a very, very solid team. The best team LE has played thus far. When you are that hot from the field like they were, that'd difficult to handle.

Rematch - Feb. 14 at Canal.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Jimmy, I have to agree with Bob. Until last night, the Streaks have been bothered by bouts of selfishness. Last night, there was none to be seen. Maybe a couple of ill advised shots, but a 21-point win against the league leading team is one I'll take anytime. The Streaks are now 10-1, Zane Trace on Friday. Hopefully, the Streaks come out with the same fire that they had last night. I liked how they pounded the ball inside to set the tone, then shot over and around the zone when it sunk in to protect the middle. The defensive intensity and overall hustle was great to see.

Coach K, whatever you guys did in practice, keep on doing it! Go Streaks!

Tcat wahoo
Waterboy

Post by Tcat wahoo »

Good game last night at LE. Too bad Adam Blake could not play. 21 total 3 pointers made and CW was 11 for 16 from the arc.
Amann had a great game with 28 points. The Refs were inconsistant, missed a lot, but they were bad both ways.
LE won the reserve game in OT, and LE won the Freshmen game 40-38.
Did Pfloyd make the trip?

UNC_23
Waterboy

Post by UNC_23 »

North Adams beat Lynchburg last night...
NA:77
LB:31

Lynchburg not that strong of a ball club....
NA has Eastern @ Eastern friday night...Should be a good game...

I also think NA should move up in the rankings Pfloyd...People say they don't play in a tough enough league...But i don't think they know the talent that this ball club has..They really do have tremendous talent throughout the WHOLE team..In my opinion, I think NA and Piketon should switch spots...

peeblesportsfan1391
Riding the Bench

Post by peeblesportsfan1391 »

UNC_23 wrote:North Adams beat Lynchburg last night...

I also think NA should move up in the rankings Pfloyd...People say they don't play in a tough enough league...But i don't think they know the talent that this ball club has..They really do have tremendous talent throughout the WHOLE team..In my opinion, I think NA and Piketon should switch spots...

I agree with u UNC that people underestimate the talent and depth NA has but i don't know if i would quite put them above Piketon... I do think however these two teams could eaisily be tied at the #2 spot.

Also pfloyd watch for Peebles in the next couple of weeks to really start stepping their game up. They had a rough game against Whiteoak that they should have won big, but played tired, in the end they ended up pulling it out, but I really look for Peebles to play hard and possibly run the table the remainder of the season

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FLOYD ... YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO THESE SCORES BUDDY ...? THX

Im tracking all these teams and recording their results but im missing a few and need their results ... thx!

Rock Hill @ Coal Grove (Jackson sectional)

South Point Vs Portsmouth (12/30/08) ... Did they play yet?

Sheridan Vs Morgan 1/06/09 (Wellston sectional)

Fairfield Union Vs Circleville 1/13/09

New Lex Vs Sheridan 1/13/09

Symmes Valley @ Western 1/9/09 (Athens sectional)

Beaver Eastern @ Green 1/9/09

Thx a million if anyone can help out on these

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ABOUT YOUT TOP 8

Well, im still kinda of sniffling about my Southern Tornadoes taking one on the chin, but I guess I can 'somewhat' agree with your 8 .... THIS WEEK ANYHOW.

I guess i gotta give ya props for allowing the Athens County Spartans to have their own slot .... :mrgreen:

Ive been eyeing my J.A.W. breaking sectionals (Jackson, Athens, Wellston) and I must say, the teams in those sectionals are absolutly taking a beating this past week! Oak Hill, the top dog in DV has slipped, Ironton lost two then Wheeleresburg goes and losses to Oak Hill .... Go figure.

Oak Hill, Southern, Waterford and possibly Trimble look like they have the best chance to be convo bound in D-4

D-3 ... God only knows, but if Alex keeps winning and the Burg, Peake and Tigers keep beating up on themselves, the Spartans could waltz right into the #1 seed.

D-2 ... Wow ... Marietta, Warren, Vinton County, Athens, Fairfield Union, Sheridan ... Man, that is gonna be a competitive place to be in Wellston ... Tell me what coach wants to play Gabe Hill and the Marauders after earning a #2 or #3 seed? Ouch.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Circleville-Fairfield Union is being played Thursday - today.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

93bulldog............I can tell you that Sheridan killed New Lex 67-33.

Also the Fairfield Union vs Circleville game was rescheduled for today the 15th but I know both schools are out today so probably no game.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I agree North Adams is a very good team, but the schedule they play makes it very difficult to know just how good. Is Peebles the only team they've beaten with a winning record? Based on what I've seen the SHL is way down. As for Piketon, their schedule has been grueling, playing Div. II schools on the road and winning, playing at Columbus Mifflin, and beating Cincinnati Clark Montessori, beating 7-0 Adena at Adena, beating Westfall when they were undefeated in the league, beating Waverly at Waverly in the Holiday Classic. I think at 10-1 they deserve where they are right now.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:

I agree North Adams is a very good team, but the schedule they play makes it very difficult to know just how good. Is Peebles the only team they've beaten with a winning record? Based on what I've seen the SHL is way down. As for Piketon, their schedule has been grueling, playing Div. II schools on the road and winning, playing at Columbus Mifflin, and beating Cincinnati Clark Montessori, beating 7-0 Adena at Adena, beating Westfall when they were undefeated in the league, beating Waverly at Waverly in the Holiday Classic. I think at 10-1 they deserve where they are right now.

Waverly is there most impressive win,as Montessori and Mifflin are both down......and I believe Waverly would beat both Adena,and Westfall.......North Adams in my opinion is the better team.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

jimmy the greek.
are you saying piketon should be above chilli also? ive seen piketon play twice. although pretty decent, chilli is at worst 40+ better than piketon. as is logan elm....

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

bronc21 wrote:jimmy the greek.
are you saying piketon should be above chilli also? ive seen piketon play twice. although pretty decent, chilli is at worst 40+ better than piketon. as is logan elm....

Chillicothe and Logan Elm are great ball teams,but to say there 40pts.better than Piketon is ridicilious.Piketon has a nice ball club and could compete with anyone in the area......although they definitely did'nt deserve that #1 vote in AP poll.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

beaverlover, you are exactly right that they are probably not 40 pts better. Chillicothe and Logan Elm are around 30 points better.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

North Adams

w WhiteOak 57-42
w Lynchburg 67-47
w Chesapeake 80-79
w West Union 86-55
w Peebles 73-61
w Manchester 75-60
w Peebles 77-67
w Lynch Clay 77-31

North Adams stands at 8-0 , half of their wins vs the same 2 teams Lynchburg Clay/Peebles ... Peebles & Chesapeake give NA 3 quality “W’s” … outstanding group of starters in Louden, Unger, Jimison, Latham, Nenus … a bench of Rothwell, Roades, Burns, Newman – what’s not to like …

Piketon

w Clark Montesori 67-56
L Zane Trace 44-55
w Huntington 69-61
w Col Mifflin 75-60
w Paint Valley 74-41
vs New Boston ppd
w Western 72-58
w Waverly 65-60
w Adena 68-58
w Southeastern 72-68
w Unioto 58-46
w Westfall 82-61

Piketon in my opinion has played the tougher schedule to date … 10-1 going into Friday’s rematch with Zane Trace who put the only blemish on the RedStreaks record … quality “W’s” over Western/Waverly/Adena/Westfall … the wins over Clark Montesori/Columbus Mifflin are good wins – 2 very quick and athletic teams from outside of Southern/Southeastern Ohio , a team has too see how they stack up versus other teams with athletic talent, speed, teams that like to pressure the ball, teams that want to pick up the pace of the game both Montessori and Mifflin fit the mould … 2 good wins no matter what M&M’s records are … Southeastern has a very good, well coached ball club that no one wants to take for granted as a “w” same with Huntington HS … bottomline imo Piketon has proven themselves to be worthy of their #2 spot … Legg/Brush/Brabson/Holton/ Smith/Helton - not a bad lineup right there ...

… Chillicothe? The Cavs are doing everything right … learning to win with defense on a nightly basis … the CHS run to the D2 State Championship is THE one motivator card that only Coach Kellough can pull out to hold up to his team – every single player in the Cavs system has seen one of the “must have” qualities of a championship team – defense … the Cavs ARE playing defense, ARE winning , WILL continue to win … at this point in the season CHS has put the void left by Humpty, Chambers behind them – they have new go to guys on offense… these players Dawes/ Knights/ Smith/ Turner/ Benson/ VanVolkenburg “aren’t” looking for Hitchens & Chambers anymore , they are looking for THIS YEARS Cavs out on the floor and what each of them bring to the table … finally Chillicothe will get even better when the 6-8 freshman London gets into the lineup – the defense instantly gets better if that’s possible (as they can get into the passing lanes even more, get into their transition game even more, they can take more chances on the perimeter with the big shot blocking/shot altering machine as backup in the paint) … for now the Cavs ARE sitting in 3rd place on the Elite 8 list – could they beat Piketon? They have lost to Logan Elm at the Hat – are they not as good as LE due to the loss? … the season unfolds, teams play out their own destiny … the cream does rise to the top … the top? It’s like anything else – once you get there everyone wants a crack at you, hard to stay on top … as usual the Cheap Seats are THE best seats in the house no matter who you support to watch everything unfold down on the court … gotta’ love high school basketball Below the Line …

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Pfloyd, I agree that Piketon has played the tougher schedule so far and has the tougher schedule for the total season. But, by the end of the year anybody who has beaten Manchester will consider it a "Good" win. Because they are every bit as good as Western and would clean up in the SOC small schools. Same could be said for Whiteoak - by end of season they will make some noise. SVC is definately stronger conference (than SHL) this year from top to bottom but not every year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jimmy C ... I agree - Manchester had big expectations placed on them right from the "get go" ... they haven't lived up to those as yet imo ... one thing is certain the SHL always represents come tourney time ... we will definitely be watching what is happening on the SHL hardwood in the 2009 portion of the season ... in my book "ANY" W is a good W ...LOL

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

bronc21 wrote:jimmy the greek.

No, I didn't say Piketon was better than anyone....I said they've played a tough schedule, and deserved to be at #2 based on what they have accomplished to this point. I've seen Chillicothe twice this year (vs. North College Hill and Logan Elm.....come on...you're kidding with the 40 plus...right? Good ball club, but in no way 40 plus better. You must be a teenager!

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

jimmy the greek
oh i wish i was a teenager....the games you supposedly saw chilli in were chillis 1st 2 games. they were making adjustments replacing hitchens and chambers. i also watched piketon struggle in the 2nd half vs the clarks teams press. piketon could not compete vs chilli's defense. i want piketon to do well, as coach lisath is my fav. coach in these parts..he was coach at unioto when my son played there.a class individual. but chilli's defense is way too much for piketon.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”