Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio 09.10

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
reliob
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Preseason Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio 09.10

Post by reliob »

I have to agree that Waverly will move up quickly if they live up to expectations and i also agree that Zane Trace on paper looks better than Piketon,but Piketon is the SVC champs untill someone takes it away from them. I love football ,but i live for basketball ,so shine the floor ,lace em up, and lets tip it off .

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

Pfloyd:
I think that with recent developments that Chesapeake will be the team to beat this year in SEO. It's going to be another exciting year of high school basketball.

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

nice post pfloyd!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

While Wheelersburg is #1 in my heart, I don't think they should be #1 on your list until they prove that they are at least the favorite in their league. Waverly, Valley, Oak Hill and even Minford and an unknown in South Webster are potential contenders in the SOC this year. Northwest may well have the best individual player in the league. Of course, I 'think' that Wheelersburg will do well but the proof is in the pudding. And there ain't no pudding yet.

Heck, there are no teams yet... no practices, no rosters. Gone are the days when they could officially start practice the second week of September. :)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

gymrat
Riding the Bench

Post by gymrat »

Good list. Teams I think could be a bit low and could move up once the season starts are Waverly, Chillicothe, and Hillsboro. Hillsboro should be the favorite in the SCOL. Waverly will be the favorite in the SOC along with Wheelersburg and Chilli will battle for the SEOAL with Warren, and a few others.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Cant wait until the start of hoops season. Looking forward to seeing some decent competition.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I have to agree with the doc on this one. Burg shouldn't be your No. 1 until they have proved that they are No. 1. Yeah, they have the talent coming back, but most of all there starters play football and there is a good chance they might make a long run in the playoffs and then that will cause Coach Barrick to get a late start. Stegman, Bendolph, Lang, Schankweiler and Kemper all play football and that is what I think will be the starting five. Might be Ward instead of Kemper, but still that would be 4 out of the 5 starters playing football.

Burg's first 6 games goes like this. Chesapeake-away, Federal Hocking-Home, Northwest-Home, Portsmouth-Home, Waverly-Away and Fairland-Away. WOWSA!!!!!!!!!! Talk about some tough games to start out with and if Football season runs longer than expected, that could be some tough games to win.

burgbball
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbball »

yabba

Don't forget Whitley also plays football. Should be interesting to see who will even make the varsity team as last years team had no seniors, you add Andrew B. and that is 13 already. Wonder how many juniors they will keep on the JV team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Glad to see ya up and kicking again ... Its good to see you continuing the old top 8 threads (some of the best stuff ever posted was during the Inaugural season for the 'Elite 8 in Southeastern Ohio' - courtesy of jjhuddle) ... We had the Tyler Evans Logan Elm Braves ... the first really, really good Vinton County team ... and of course we had Danta Jackson to rave about ... The Eastern Eagles with Cozart, Dill, Simpson and Robbie Cross ... The South Webster boys, pre-Waginger though ... And one of my all time favorite teams - The Ironton Fighting Tigers, with Waginger (who gave super Mayo and the cincinnati all-stars a run for their money in the state championship!) ... And don't forget about Chesapeake, which the Convo serves as a second home too (The Norm Persian Panthers) ...

The eighth team probably flip-flopped between you and I, of course you had a 'Liberal' way of observing things so your rankings were always a little loosy-goosey ... I know your 'Rat Pack' boys started out their at one point then fell off the face of the earth ... possibly Marietta you may have slipped in once or twice, or Warren (You've always favored coach Maddox when it comes to ranking the teams ...lol) ... If memory serves me right, I believe we settled on North Adams as the eighth team in after those Copley boys lit up at the Convocation Center.

Of course I favored JENKINS, FOUTS AND CHRISTMAN at one point and wanted the Tomcats in; but South Webster fixed that issue in the District Championship.

Hope ya enjoyed the trip down memory lane old pal ... You will need to be e-mailing me soon here after I built trivalleyconference.com this summer - I'm covering football now, check it out and see what you think about the "leaderboard" and then get back to with advice for the hoops version, which needs to be constructed before the season starts. The site is ALL FACTUAL, no chit-chatting (that's what SEOPS is for) and its in the early stages but with loads of work poured into it ... hopefully hoops will have great coverage all winter long so you can research teams from the TVC (which you have always surppressed when it comes to the top 8 ... lol) ... Finally a statistical break down of a league and its teams ... you will be thanking me mid-way through the season, I promise you that ... Most media outlets have found the site very usefull for their weekly Friday night games - so basically now you won't have an excuse for not putting a TVC team in the rankings ...

Let me give you one now ... ATHENS! they're 7-0 in football right now, the senior class has some kind of special spark to them (which should transcend to the court) ... 6-foot-5 Frank Valentour is really good (Very good WR in football as well) ... Colin Pfaff is a super PG ... plus they have a host of other returning players - the only loss was Witten ... So come on Floyd give 'em the 8 spot for now, they will be their eventually anyway, so save yourself some work later on and stcik 'em in their ... :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog! good to see a post from the green and gold one from A'town here on the bb-channel of SEOPs ... back when the Elite 8 first started we definitely had some outstanding teams and individual talent to follow in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... the beginning of the "Elite 8" ,"3 Weeks of the Convo" ... good stuff ... glad you will be giving us the "Joe Friday" version of hoops in the TVC this year ...for some reason the hoops in the TVC is a well kept secret - at least the reporting on the TVC here in Purple Country ; it is hard to get info about those teams ... I have been making the rounds the past 4 or 5 years making sure I "SEE" in person the primetime players in the league - Alexander/Vinton County/Fed Hock/Belpre/Athens/Meigs/Trimble/Eastern etc. ... as far as Athens - Pfloyd will be following our friend Coach Skinner and the Bulldogs this season , I look forward to seeing "real basketball" being played once again in A'town under Coach Skinner ... as you know Logan has inherited the "havoc ball man" in ex-AHS mentor McNeal to go with ex-Trimble headman Koons BUT that's yet another story ...

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Jake Lynch and the Reedsville Eastern Eagles should have an excellent team this year.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County will have a good opportunity to prove itself worthy of you top 8 this year by playing 2 teams in the pre-season top 8. (Piketon, Zane Trace) ...and also on the wannabees list..Logan, Trimble, and Athens/Alexander twice in league play. The Vikings look to take care of a very talented (and talked about) Zane Trace team this year early on at home. Last year the Vikings lost by a couple points @ZT. I think that game will be a good early season measuring stick as to just how good (or bad) the Vikings may be...My preditction...the Vikings are for real...this year will be one of the best yet! Good luck to all the area teams...and GO TVC!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I read somewhere that one of Peebles good players transfered to Northwest.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... I have not heard of the McNeal - Koons connection ... wow, you got yourself some characters in Chieftain land buddy ...

As your probably noticing, it's Friday night during the heart of the gridiron season and im on the 'hoops channel' ... Its the only place I can run and hide and sulk a bit after watching my 'Dogs lose another heart breaker ... Ive taken in a Humphreys heartbreak aided by a freshman kicker, A Donnie Johnson 'fumble-in-the-fog' and wathched Logan beat us 6-0 in '02 and again in '03 when we had our best chance to knock em off ... Chance Fox picked off an Athens pass last year for a 99-yard TD return to beat us late and we lose tonight 14-13 ...

Sorry to report, but I may just head to the bathroom and strap a noose over the shower rod ... But ... then you won't have your 'handy TVC-weekly-hoops report' via the web site so I may just hold off on the rope over the rod trick ... lol ... I'll just settle for some more Friday night sulking ...

Just make sure you keep your eyes on the 'Dogs basketball team; coach Skinner has had time to research other teams offensive & defensive philosophies over the past two years and I can see him taking a group of talented boys - with a good PG and excellent big man - pretty far.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ozzie , from another thread Northwest has added Dylan Brown from Peebles ... on that thread some of the Mohawk faithful DIDN'T include Dylan Brown in the top 5 for NHS ...

... 93dog - must have been a good game vs Nelsonville last night , although a heartbreaker for AHS for sure ... might as well wait on the "rope" thing , you DID promise information about the TVC hoops teams/season ... how in the world do you expect me to ever get to the "Convo Floor" during the 3 Weeks of the Convo if you are "hanging around" so to speak????? LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... LOL ... Nothing like a little Pfloyd humor to lighten the mood ... Im for sure pleased to announce that I decided not to 'hang around' the shower stall last night ... I elected to instead go to the back porch (once I had too much kool-aide to drink as I drank my sorrows away) and decided not to spray off in the shower - just in case the temptation to use the noose was greater than the objective (which is get floyd his detailed/statistical break down of the TVC come hoops season.)

Now that I am settled into 'sulk' mode for the rest of the weekend; I still have to put together the 'TVC leaderboard' for the gridiron (which I would love to pass on this week but can't) but as I do it, I might start thinking of ideas for basketball season just to keep me from dwelling on last nights 'blunder at R. Basil' (Rutter Field) ... It will most likely have a weekly updated top 10 in the TVC-Ohio - and top 10 in the TVC-Hocking (both seperated just like football is) ... Top 10 scoring leaders, top 10 assist leaders, top 10 rebound leaders, three-point FG's, Shooting %, FT shooting % ... Not sure how deep I want to go with it yet, steals and turnovers are kind of tricky since some coaches might have the stats while others won't ... It has to include 'Team stats' first , just like the football does so you will have top 10 "team scoring", scoring avg, defensive scoring avg, etc..ect... whew, man, hoops might be kind of tough ...lol... and I thought football was hard .... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... looking forward to see what you can come with to keep us informed about the TVC this winter ... all info is worth the read - after all you ARE working with one of Southern Ohio's sports gurus in sportfolio ... make sf work some OT to keep the site updated LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Sportfolio - Is for sure a reliable resource to have; as long as he is didn't decide to 'hang around' after last nights game ... lol... He was pretty stoked about this years team ... I did see him in the parking lot at work once the games were over so I'm pretty sure he will be lurking in the shadows come basketball season ... Lots more games during the winter, plus with five County schools to cover - including girls basketball; sportfolio ends up seeing a lot of Athens' games so I know I will have a good co-pilot when it comes to obtaining stats for the 'Dogs and whomever their playing that night ...

But ... just so you know, my heart now lies "Below the 'Buckeye Border" ... No longer does the 'Dog travel north of that territory ... word has it there are lifeforms beyond that point, some say they look like little purple alien type creatures, but that might just be a myth.

Most folks in TVC-Country are afraid to leave Wayne National forest or cross the Buckeye Border you know - heard some folks from Miller crossed the Corning County line once ... but never returned. So we basically just sit back and play in our own little world here in the 'Deep Southeast" - so any and all information or top 8 advice from 93Dog will have to be limited to the Tri-Valley Conference.

"Hey, wait a minute .... I think I just seen one of those purple creatures that folks say live beyond the outer rehlm"

"He's right there above, slappin is fat purple belly beneath Floyds words of wisdom .... Oh, I'm definitly not going north now, I'm half scaird to even travel to Ben Wagner Gymnasium with those things only a hop-skip-and a Hilltop away."

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County... looking forward to seeing Coach Combs' Vikings in the upcoming season ... rumor has it that VC will be taking on the Purple of Logan for the second season in a row ... last year the Vikes came away with a 1 point "W" , 45-44 over the Chiefs ... VC will once again have one of the best backcourts Below the Line this season led by Andy Grillo , Levi Lawhead, Ethan Allen, Dylan Guthrie, Taylor Reed & Co. ... lots of quicks/speed on the perimeter for the VC ... Grillo/Lawhead/Allen will give opponents fits defensively as they will look to score in transition out of their pressure D ... should be fun to watch for us cheap seat guys ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”