Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Wk 7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
86Tiger
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Wk 7

Post by 86Tiger »

LOL 93Bulldog....great minds think alike. We posted that at the same time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

WarriorBlue wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:I don't think Ironton is a 'clear cut' #1 ... but I'll keep them at #1 until they lose to an Ohio team - or even a West Virginia, kentucky team.
Like I said before, its tough with Ironton/Warren because there isn't much on the schedules to campare the two ....
What's so special about Florida? Ohio HS basketball is 2nd to none.
As far as comparisons what about

Ironton 53 Portsmouth 51

Warren Local 45 Portsmouth 31

Looks like a good place to start. With that being said I think Ironton and Warren are pretty even and if they played 10 times it'd be 50/50. Both solid defensively and both with multiple scores. French and Carter both special players and both teams are well coached. Like I said EVEN. It is fun to speculate though.
First off.....I said it on the other rankings, there is no wrongside of this argument. As for the Portsmouth comparison? Ask every player on the Portsmouth team that plays who they want to beat more Warren or Ironton, league aside they'll always be way more motivated for Ironton.

As for Florida....they lost to the top big school in the state and another powerhouse.

Would love to see a best of 5 between Warren/Ironton

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I would love to see a best of 5 between Athens and Warren ... :)

you wanna talk about STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE ... Athens has to be near the top in terms of a good resume ...

Hannibal River (11-3) ... won 76-72
Logan Elm (11-4) ... won 56-53
Fairland (11-4) ... won 69-59
Vinton County (10-3) ... won 52-44
Nelsonville-York (11-4) ... won 74-47
Chesapeake (9-4) ... won 60-47

Warren (12-1) ... lost 60-57

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:I would love to see a best of 5 between Athens and Warren ... :)

you wanna talk about STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE ... Athens has to be near the top in terms of a good resume ...

Hannibal River (11-3) ... won 76-72
Logan Elm (11-4) ... won 56-53
Fairland (11-4) ... won 69-59
Vinton County (10-3) ... won 52-44
Nelsonville-York (11-4) ... won 74-47
Chesapeake (9-4) ... won 60-47

Warren (12-1) ... lost 60-57
Athens is the clear cut #3....about as close to 2nd as 4th

Athens

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... in the mind of the committee of one - me - Warren and Ironton are close to a toss up at this point in the season for the #1 spot ... Coach Maddox's Warren Warriors play Newark Catholic in the Rte40 Classic tomorrow evening at 5 pm ... a "W" could put the Warriors into a virtual tie with the Fighting Tigers of Ironton ... a loss leaves the Warriors at number 2 in the rankings ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I92,

Keep in mind Athens led after quarters 1,2 and 3 versus Warren ... some better decisions down the stretch - and maybe a controversial call goes the other way - it may have been a different outcome.
But the real key is Athens had only two starters back from last year: Joe Burrow and Ryan Leuhrman ... the 6-foo-4 Leuhrman didn't play versus Warren - and hasn't played since the first couple of games ... once he is inserted back into the lineup (hopefully) - Athens will be a better basketball team.

Warren is a clear cut spot better than Athens at the moment - but look for the 'Dogs to keep surging ... "IF' Leuhrman makes it back on the court and Athens plays/looks like an improved basketball team - a case could be made for them to surpass Warren - even though they lost a head-to-head meeting.

But of course that depends on Warren ... if they keep winning its a moot point.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

93Bulldog wrote:There is nothing to compare with Ironton and Warren ...

and how do you factor in losses to Division I Florida teams for Ironton ... they are undefeated in the state of Ohio.

Irontons 2 losses

Hialeah Gardens, FL (18-5)....Away...........Lost 56-74............Florida Defending D8 (Big School) State Champions, Enrollment 2,910 students.
Coral Reef, FL (18-4)...........Away...........lost 73-75.............Enrollment 3,212 students

The Florida team Ironton beat 74-55 was Coral Gables who has an enrollment of a little over 3,300 students
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:... in the mind of the committee of one - me
I'm starting to wonder about this so called 'committee' ... I think an investigation is warranted after I seen the types of gifts being recieved by Pfloyd (a certain T-shirt from coach Davis that was intended for Floyd may be turned over to the proper authority on this matter) ... there could be a real conspiracy at work here in which cash, gifts and all sorts of 'kick-backs' are being thrown the committee's way to ensure a better ranking ... I'm pretty sure the I-town Maffia was seen snooping around the Floyd residence lately - which could be the reason for the ranking dominance ... so come on Floyd, give us the inside scoop. Does the I-town Maffia own the Pizza Crossing their in Logan - and are they using it as a front just to 'strong arm' you or what?

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I am partial to a "well done" Pizza Crossing pie LOL ... I've tried to pay the delivery people BUT they just won't take my $$$$ LOL come to think of it they do have orange & black uni's ...

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

pfloyd wrote:... I am partial to a "well done" Pizza Crossing pie LOL ... I've tried to pay the delivery people BUT they just won't take my $$$$ LOL come to think of it they do have orange & black uni's ...

:mrgreen:

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

There is no doubt that Ironton is the Number 1 in the Southeast. I saw both sets of kids up close last year and they are both good teams. howevever, Carter and Fletcher and co. trumps any two that Warren can put up. French is a nice player but doesn't bring what Carter does. Floyd has it right and I don't have ties to either team. Comparing scores is not going to get it. The Bengals beat the Ravens but I think the Ravens are playing the patriots right now for the AFC championship.

apples
Waterboy

Post by apples »

93Bulldog wrote:
lightle04 wrote:But by that logic Paint Valley beat Vinton and Piketon crushed Paint Valley . I think you have go with what have you done lately . And lately Piketon has hit there groove .
The Vinton County/Piketon game was only 15 days ago ... :mrgreen:

How about another comparison:

Eastern Brown 60
Westfall - 40

Piketon - 50
Westfall - 46

I'M NOT SAYING EASTERN BROWN IS A BETTER TEAM THAN PIKETON, I'M JUST SAYING FOR 'RANKING' PURPOSES, I CAN SEE WHY FLOYD WOULD HAVE EB AHEAD OF THE RED STREAKS.

* and lets face it - we're talking about who should be 4 - and who should be 5 ... lol ... kind of a ridiculus debate. I can name 40 or 50 other teams who would love to be in that argument.

Piketon beat Westfall 71-48 this past Friday night. I would like to see a rematch of the Vinton Co. Piketon game now without an overtime thriller coming back from 10+ point deficit against the then league rank #1 Zane Trace Pioneers the night before.

MSL_Fan
Waterboy

Post by MSL_Fan »

a couple of record updates....

Hillsboro is 5-8
McClain is 5-10

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironton remaining schedule :

1/22 Portsmouth (home)
1/26 Arkron Buchtel (home)
1/29 Huntington WVa (away)
2/1 Flora MacDonald Academy (away)
2/5 Wheelersburg (home)
2/9 Spring Valley WVa (home)
2/12 Chillicothe (away)
2/15 Fairland (home)

Warren remaining schedule :

1/21 Newark Catholic (Rt40 Classic)
1/25 Portsmouth (home)
1/29 New Lexington (home)
2/1 Logan (away)
2/2 Belpre (home)
2/5 Fort Frye (away)
2/8 Chillicothe (away)
2/12 Marietta (home)
2/15 Jackson (home)

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

93Bulldog wrote:Who is this Sheridan (8-4) squad? are they in the southeast district? are you sure they're an Ohio team, Floyd? did you check to see if they indeed had a 'Convo pass' to qualify for the Elite 8?

lol

I slept on the Generals last year and they ended up making the Convo out of the Logan sectional ... seems I'm doing it again as I have had Warren, Athens, Vinton County and Logan Elm penciled in since December.
93 just seen where Sheridan knocked off #17 John Glenn on Friday at sheridan. They seem to always find a way to surprise people in our district.

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

Does Warren even play anyone outside of Southeast Ohio?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...86Tiger... Warren played Upper Arlington at Marietta College in December, not sure if you consider Newark Catholic Southeast Ohio or Central Ohio but the Warren squad takes on NC tomorrow in the Rt40 Classic ... by far Ironton has taken on a "non SE Ohio" schedule with it's Fla swing over the holidays, play vs Columbus teams/ Akron Buchtel coming up, a WVa/KY contingent of teams as well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio-Week 7

1. Ironton (10-2)

2. Warren (12-1)

3. Athens (12-2)

4. Eastern Brown (14-2)

5. Piketon (12-3)

6. Washington CH (11-3)

7. Oak Hill (12-2)/ Miami Trace (10-4)

8. Lucasville Valley (12-3) / Eastern Pike (11-2)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Vinton County (10-3)
Minford (10-3)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (11-3)
Logan Elm (11-4)
Fairland (11-4)
Federal Hocking (11-3)
Zane Trace (10-3)
Peebles (10-4)
Chesapeake (9-4)
Coal Grove (12-3)
South Webster (9-5)
Nelsonville York (11-4)
North Adams (9-5)
Sheridan (8-4)
Unioto (8-6)
Portsmouth (7-8)
Whiteoak (8-6)
Symmes Valley (8-5)
Fairfield Leesburg (6-7)
Portsmouth West (6-7)
Portsmouth East (9-4)
Hillsboro (5-8)
Southeastern (8-6)
Waverly (6-9)
Circleville (6-8)
Wheelersburg (6-7)
Wellston (8-7)
Greenfield McClain (5-10)
Marietta (6-8)
Huntington (6-9)
Paint Valley (5-10)
Westfall (3-10)
Belpre (6-7)
Meigs (6-6)
Logan (4-7)
Chillicothe (3-12)
Gallia Academy (7-8)
Trimble (8-8)
New Lexington (6-8)
Fairfield Union (5-7)
Southern (7-7)
South Point (7-8)
Miller (5-9)
Crooksville (6-7)
South Gallia (5-10)
St. Joseph (6-9)
Alexander (3-11)
Waterford (4-7)
Rock Hill (4-10)
Western Pike (3-11)
Portsmouth Clay (4-9)
Manchester (4-10)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Lynchburg Clay (3-9)
Green (2-10)
New Boston (2-11)
Reedsville Eastern (3-11)
Adena (1-12)
West Union (2-13)
River Valley (2-13)
Northwest (1-11)
Jackson (0-13)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:I92,

Keep in mind Athens led after quarters 1,2 and 3 versus Warren ... some better decisions down the stretch - and maybe a controversial call goes the other way - it may have been a different outcome.
But the real key is Athens had only two starters back from last year: Joe Burrow and Ryan Leuhrman ... the 6-foo-4 Leuhrman didn't play versus Warren - and hasn't played since the first couple of games ... once he is inserted back into the lineup (hopefully) - Athens will be a better basketball team.

Warren is a clear cut spot better than Athens at the moment - but look for the 'Dogs to keep surging ... "IF' Leuhrman makes it back on the court and Athens plays/looks like an improved basketball team - a case could be made for them to surpass Warren - even though they lost a head-to-head meeting.

But of course that depends on Warren ... if they keep winning its a moot point.
No if's and but's....Athens is the clear cut #3....they lost to Warren but were playing at home with the sharp shooting Warren team going 1-17? From 3. You said yourself 1 game is a big deal high up in these rankings....and the losing to Wellston was pretty big. Take away that loss and you can call yourself closer to Warren.

I'm pretty sure the only winless team in the entire district lead Wellston after each of the first 3 quarters....and by 11 near the very end of the 3rd....lost our second best player to injury the rest of the way and we lose our only closer game of the year.....butcHackson is no where near as good as Wellston.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

86Tiger wrote:Does Warren even play anyone outside of Southeast Ohio?
Warrens only loss:

Upper Arlington (6-7)

Upper Arlington...69
Warren.............47

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”