Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 8

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 8

Post by danicalifornia »

As of now, 12-3 Unioto is slated to travel to 11-6 Piketon on Tuesday to make up the game lost from last night. Obviously, we'll see if this happens or not. There aren't many open dates left if we don't get this one in.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'm surprised more schools aren't picking up Monday as a date to play. Tuesday I don't see anyone playing, Wednesday is iffy, then Thursday and Friday snow is back in the forecast. Might be a tough week.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:I'm surprised more schools aren't picking up Monday as a date to play. Tuesday I don't see anyone playing, Wednesday is iffy, then Thursday and Friday snow is back in the forecast. Might be a tough week.
HA!

There were plenty of Wednesday's and Saturday's, which past, that earlier cancellations could have been played.

I highly doubt any 'pre-planning' would ever take place ...

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Losses by the Elite 8 to date (1/26/14)

1. Logan Elm (13-1) ... the lone loss for the Braves coming in FL vs Liberty Christian 56-71

2. Warren Local (12-3) ... losses to Portsmouth at the WarriorDome 60-66 , 39-61 setback to Watterson in C'bus followed by a 65-67 loss to Wheeling Park at home ... 2 losses at the WarriorDome for the Warriors ...

2. Athens (12-3) ... 59-60 loss to Logan Elm at McAfee, 56-62 OT loss to Bishop Eustace in the Land of Disney, 57-67 loss to Akron SVSM in the House Lebron Built

3. Valley (15-2) ... Indians only losses coming at the hands of the Elite #2's ... 51-64 to Warren @ MC & 71-77 dbl OT vs Athens @ the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake ... 2 losses both on neutral courts both to D2 schools ...

4. Washington CH (12-2) ...Lions lost their opener to Logan Elm 46-74 at ZT Tip Off Classic, then reeled off 6 straight W's before losing to C'bus DeSales 58-59...

5. Portsmouth (10-3) ... Trojans dropped back to back games 61-69 OT to Cleveland John Hay HS, @ South Point 58-76 both after knocking off Warren in Warren 66-60 ... the 3rd loss for PHS came at the hands of this same Coach Maddox coached ball club this time at home 57-68 Warren ...

6. Minford (11-2) ... the Falcons lost their "exhibition" opener to Huntington Prep 54-123 , winning their next 7 before losing 53-58 to Valley ...

7. Unioto (12-3) ... the Shermans opened the season with 2 straight losses... 60-89 vs Valley in Lucasville, 56-57 to SVC foe Zane Trace before losing again this time to Elite 8 number four Washington CH 46-61 ...

8. Zane Trace (14-2) ...the Pioneers rattled off 9 straights "W's" before dropping one to Piketon 41-49 , then losing at home to Unioto 54-56 ...

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Haven't had a chance to post, but my Indians played one of their better games of the season on Friday in a 91-57 blowout of West. Valley finally started to shoot the ball well as they canned 13 3's in the game including 6 in the first quarter. Valley was lead by senior Chris Flowers who put up a career high 33 points. Brian Rolfe added 17 points while Jordan West and Hayden Dunn both dropped 9. Ryan Brown added 8 off the bench. Anytime the Indians score 90+ points and neither West or Dunn hit double figures, they are going to be very hard to guard.

I would say that two weeks from the draw, Valley is in a pretty good spot to be the #1 seed at Waverly, but there is some hoops to be played.

As far as your rankings go, I couldn't agree more that it is the top 3 at the Logan sectional and then everyone else. I do feel like Valley and Portsmouth are 1A and 1B as far as the rest of the SE District goes. My only disagreement is I feel that Portsmouth and Minford are both better than WCH. 12-2 is obviously a solid record, but they didn't impress me all that much at the Beast of the Southeast. JMO.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, pfloyd, for keeping the Trojans at #5........Warren was really impressive coming into PHS and winning 68-57. In the end, though, we came away with a split with the Warriors, as you predicted when I talked to you at the Zane Trace Classic. WHS vs. PHS is one of the strangest series that I've seen, in the last 5 years, the Warriors are 4-1 at PHS, while the Trojans are 3-2 at WHS. They have split 4 of the last 5 seasons.

I'm really concerned about the Trojans going into the Land of the Purple on Saturday........it's always tough to win there, with even our state teams of 2011 and 2012 escaping with close wins. PHS will be looking for its 10th straight win over the Chieftains. A must win for the Trojans if they want to share the SEOAL title with Warren.

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

Crab- I agree WCH didn't look impressive @ the BofSE, but slightly in their defense, that was 3rd game in 3 days, bus left @ 730am. However, I won't disagree that Valley and Portsmouth may be better, even though I haven't seen either team play. I say we scrap the division south of the Rt35 and have a PFloyd SEOP district tourney to advance to regionals. Would be a doooozy!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I've seen WCH a few times and when they are on their game, they are very tough to beat. Great ball movement and floor spacing with a bunch of kids who can knock down shots. While they are undersized, they rebound well as a team and play pretty darn good D.

And plus, according to most, games in Decemeber don't mean as much, so their loss to LE should count the same as Athens loss counts, so it doesn't (lol).

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:And plus, according to most, games in Decemeber don't mean as much, so their loss to LE should count the same as Athens loss counts, so it doesn't (lol).
Was there starting line-up playing in a regional final on Nov. 22nd?

If so, I am willing to give them a break ...

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... got my fingers crossed that the Logan Elm vs Zane Trace game gets played Tuesday and Circleville vs Washington CH is a go on Wednesday night THIS WOULD HELP to get rid of these Winter blues and basketball game withdrawals LOL ... bman IF you get any info on either one of these games as to "GO" or "NO GO" please fill us in - thanks ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:... got my fingers crossed that the Logan Elm vs Zane Trace game gets played Tuesday and Circleville vs Washington CH is a go on Wednesday night THIS WOULD HELP to get rid of these Winter blues and basketball game withdrawals LOL ... bman IF you get any info on either one of these games as to "GO" or "NO GO" please fill us in - thanks ...
]
The positive is that it's just supposed to be cold tomorrow...the negative is that a lot of schools will be out and the cold that it will be, will be absurdly cold. I'm hoping that games will be played, but I know one girls game has already been postponed (Logan at Unioto) so who knows. Once again, I'm fine with airing on the side of caution for the kids sake, but I'd still love to be able to get out and watch some games the next few nights.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

bballfan wrote:Crab- I agree WCH didn't look impressive @ the BofSE, but slightly in their defense, that was 3rd game in 3 days, bus left @ 730am. However, I won't disagree that Valley and Portsmouth may be better, even though I haven't seen either team play. I say we scrap the division south of the Rt35 and have a PFloyd SEOP district tourney to advance to regionals. Would be a doooozy!

I see your point about the early game for WCH and I agree. Maybe I am selling them short.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Unioto at Piketon will be played Wednesday at Piketon tip off for freshmen at 5pm.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Eastern girls - 83
Wahama girls - 4

Ruthless I tell ya ... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Eastern girls - 83
Wahama girls - 4

... how do they sleep at night ???!!!! no conscience !!! LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wahama girls - 4

Not the biggest winning margin of the night

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern Brown 47
Hillsboro 44

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tuesday Night Menu of Scheduled Games ... most schools are closed due to the severe cold temps ... we'll see who plays, who doesn't ...

Athens @ Meigs ppd 1/29
Crooksville @ Alexander ppd
River Valley @ Nelsonville York
Vinton County @ Southeastern
Wellston @ Trimble ppd
Federal Hocking @ Southern
Eastern Reedsville @ South Gallia
Wahama @ Waterford
Miller @ Belpre

Logan vs Sheridan ppd
Marietta @ Cambridge
Warren @ New Lexington

Eastern Pike vs Portsmouth East
Fairfield Leesburg @ Manchester
Peebles @ North Adams
West Union @ Lynchburg Clay

Zane Trace @ Logan Elm
Chillicothe @ Dayton Jefferson
Hillsboro vs McClain
Miami Trace vs East Clinton
Washington CH vs Clinton Massie

Ironton vs Huntington
St Joseph @ Fairview
South Point vs Lincoln Co KY
Wheelersburg vs Minford
Valley @ Oak Hill
Portsmouth West vs Northwest
South Webster @ Waverly
Chesapeake vs Gallia Academy
Portsmouth ND @ Western Pike
Symmes Valley @ New Boston
Green vs Portsmouth Clay

Unioto @ Piketon 1/29

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:
Wahama girls - 4

... how do they sleep at night ???!!!! no conscience !!! LOL

The last 4 days Eastern has outscored its 2 opponents 170-12!!!!

goodness gracious.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote:Eastern Brown 47
Hillsboro 44

... EB was down in this 17-27 at the half ... when Eastern Brown struggles to score they REALLY struggle ... at the Beasts of the Southeast vs Coal Grove EB had only 13 points at the half , could not hit the ocean ... going to have trouble in the post season with the scoring inconsistencies imo ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”