JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Is it time yet? its Wednesday

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

It's official - deer gun season is right around the corner, high school hoops season IS soon to follow... scrimmages for many tip off this weekend - life is good ... The committee of one - me- has come up with the Preseason Elite 8 AND listings of teams that the committee has deemed Treehuggers, as well as Teams on the End Table ... these are the committee of one's "starting points" for each team. Rankings, as they have always been, are based on wins/loses, schedule, AND that all important aspect my "eyes on" impressions of the teams in the rankings ... as most know I get out and see many, many , many of the teams in the rankings - especially those teams in the top tier of the listings ... my belief is that a person can't give a fair ranking unless you have seen the teams you are ranking vs competition, particularly vs other teams in the rankings ... the committee of one - me - does make mistakes! (I know it is hard to believe) ... but I do believe that the committee of one has been fair/un-bias in the rankings thru the years ... over the course of the season the cliche' "the cream rises to the top" seems to hold true - so IF your team isn't where YOU feel they should be in the rankings AND in fact your team IS better than I have them ranked ...more than likely your team WILL get to where they should be in the rankings as the season moves along ... I don't mind having anyone (except maybe 93bulldog) disagree with the rankings - I listen to good arguments supported by facts ... arguments based on "passion only" - not so much ...

... Enjoy the rankings! PLEASE DO give us all - the Cheap Seat folks- information about your team and leagues ... with good dialogue, good discussion, good "arguments" EVERYONE wins ... I truly believe that the SEOPS HS Basketball Forum "IS" the best place Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line to find information about literally ALL teams, in ALL leagues in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I thank ALL of the devoted followers, contributors to the Elite 8 listings - none of the rankings could be done without your input,information, and support for the athletes, coaches and TEAMS ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason Edition ...

1. Portsmouth (16-4)

2. Chillicothe (17-3)

3. Chesapeake (19-1)

4. Logan Elm (14-6)

5. Ironton (12-7)

6. Eastern Brown (10-8)

7. Warren (17-3)

8. Huntington (13-7)

...Tree Hugger Wannabes...

Manchester (15-5)
Fairfield Union (10-10)
Piketon (18-2)
Marietta (14-6)
Lucasville Valley (10-10)
Unioto (13-7)
Miami Trace (15-3)
Athens (8-12)
Vinton County (16-4)
Southeastern Ross (9-11)
South Gallia (10-10)
Peebles (19-1)
Sheridan (17-3)
Jackson (5-15)
Logan (5-15)
Southern (10-9)
Wheelersburg (15-5)
Hillsboro (13-7)
Washington Courthouse (14-6)
Greenfield McClain (9-11)
Oak Hill (14-6)
Waverly (8-11)
Waterford (11-9)
Wellston (10-10)
Federal Hocking (unranked)
South Webster (15-4)
Symmes Valley (17-3)
WhiteOak (9-11)
Zane Trace (unranked)
Meigs (10-10)
Northwest (8-11)
Ironton St. Joe (12-7)
Franklin Furnace Green (14-5)
Minford (7-13)
Portsmouth Clay (12-8)
Westfall (7-11)
South Point (11-8)
River Valley (8-12)
Western Latham (unranked)
Fairfield Leesburg (9-11)
Trimble (12-8)
Gallia Academy (7-13)

... End Table Teams ...

Fairland (13-7)
South Point (11-8)
Eastern Pike (10-9)
Nelsonville York (5-15)
New Lexington (8-12)
Belpre (7-13)
Circleville (4-16)
North Adams (5-13)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (8-12)
Adena (unranked)
Reedsville Eastern (17-2)
Western Pike (unranked)
Portsmouth West (unranked)
Paint Valley (10-9)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... IF you have information on a team you feel should be listed ... please let me know ... I may have the team written down on my "napkin sheets" and just overlooked them (aka the team never made it from paper to 'puter) ... thanks

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

pfloyd wrote:It's official - deer gun season is right around the corner, high school hoops season IS soon to follow... scrimmages for many tip off this weekend - life is good ... The committee of one - me- has come up with the Preseason Elite 8 AND listings of teams that the committee has deemed Treehuggers, as well as Teams on the End Table ... these are the committee of one's "starting points" for each team. Rankings, as they have always been, are based on wins/loses, schedule, AND that all important aspect my "eyes on" impressions of the teams in the rankings ... as most know I get out and see many, many , many of the teams in the rankings - especially those teams in the top tier of the listings ... my belief is that a person can't give a fair ranking unless you have seen the teams you are ranking vs competition, particularly vs other teams in the rankings ... the committee of one - me - does make mistakes! (I know it is hard to believe) ... but I do believe that the committee of one has been fair/un-bias in the rankings thru the years ... over the course of the season the cliche' "the cream rises to the top" seems to hold true - so IF your team isn't where YOU feel they should be in the rankings AND in fact your team IS better than I have them ranked ...more than likely your team WILL get to where they should be in the rankings as the season moves along ... I don't mind having anyone (except maybe 93bulldog) disagree with the rankings - I listen to good arguments supported by facts ... arguments based on "passion only" - not so much ...

... Enjoy the rankings! PLEASE DO give us all - the Cheap Seat folks- information about your team and leagues ... with good dialogue, good discussion, good "arguments" EVERYONE wins ... I truly believe that the SEOPS HS Basketball Forum "IS" the best place Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line to find information about literally ALL teams, in ALL leagues in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I thank ALL of the devoted followers, contributors to the Elite 8 listings - none of the rankings could be done without your input,information, and support for the athletes, coaches and TEAMS ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason Edition ...

1. Portsmouth (16-4)

2. Chillicothe (17-3)

3. Chesapeake (19-1)

4. Logan Elm (14-6)

5. Ironton (12-7)

6. Eastern Brown (10-8)

7. Warren (17-3)

8. Huntington (13-7)

...Tree Hugger Wannabes...

Manchester (15-5)
Fairfield Union (10-10)
Piketon (18-2)
Marietta (14-6)
Lucasville Valley (10-10)
Unioto (13-7)
Miami Trace (15-3)
Athens (8-12)
Vinton County (16-4)
Southeastern Ross (9-11)
South Gallia (10-10)
Peebles (19-1)
Sheridan (17-3)
Jackson (5-15)
Logan (5-15)
Southern (10-9)
Wheelersburg (15-5)
Hillsboro (13-7)
Washington Courthouse (14-6)
Greenfield McClain (9-11)
Oak Hill (14-6)
Waverly (8-11)
Waterford (11-9)
Wellston (10-10)
Federal Hocking (unranked)
South Webster (15-4)
Symmes Valley (17-3)
WhiteOak (9-11)
Zane Trace (unranked)
Meigs (10-10)
Northwest (8-11)
Ironton St. Joe (12-7)
Franklin Furnace Green (14-5)
Minford (7-13)
Portsmouth Clay (12-8)
Westfall (7-11)
South Point (11-8)
River Valley (8-12)
Western Latham (unranked)
Fairfield Leesburg (9-11)
Trimble (12-8)
Gallia Academy (7-13)

... End Table Teams ...

Fairland (13-7)
South Point (11-8)
Eastern Pike (10-9)
Nelsonville York (5-15)
New Lexington (8-12)
Belpre (7-13)
Circleville (4-16)
North Adams (5-13)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (8-12)
Adena (unranked)
Reedsville Eastern (17-2)
Western Pike (unranked)
Portsmouth West (unranked)
Paint Valley (10-9)

Pretty good list PFloyd. I dont have many gripes except the fact that Peebles beat a couple teams ranked ahead of them handly this offseason. Piketon has got some transfers since then so who knows how things will end up shanking out. I also think North Adams will be a little better than most think. They were very young last year and could contend for a sectional title if someone can step up and take the responsiblity of the scoring gap left by the graduation of Drew Dollich. I also expect Ironton to move into the top 2 or 3 at some point this year. Cant wait for the season to get underway!

F-4 Phantom
Varsity

Post by F-4 Phantom »

I'm ecstatic you threw the Trojan's a BONE! 8) There are a few down river who have been chomping at the bit to see "THE LIST". Those river rats must be dancing in the streets.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You do a wonderful job of highlighting teams based on facts and a whole lot of levity! You make sports, fun, as they should be!!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I hate seeing the Trojans number one. Just seems as tho the jynx has been set. Great list and welcome back! Hope the season is a great one and hope the Trojans can return to the promise land

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...TribeManiac10 ... Peebles...North Adams...WhiteOak, ALL of the SHL teams are difficult to "rank" until the season starts simple because THOSE KIDS play basketball year round!!! a team may on paper look very young, inexperienced BUT because of the tradition, the year round old fashion "pick up" games in those communities - those kids can play the game!!! throw in the coaching ... and you have teams that will move up the list quickly - especially in the first part of the season ... SHL faithful don't be discouraged ... the SHL has been promoted, well represented by the SEOPsters from that area in the last 2-3 years - I92, grinder, theuglytruth and yourself have made it so the rest of us take notice of the excellent hoops played on the Western side of the Rt.23 ...

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I like your top 5 in any order but I think 6,7 and 8 are debatable. From what I watched over the summer I think Waverly is a top 8 team. I think before the season is over at least one D4 team will be in the top 8 maybe Manchester, Southern or South Webster. I also look for Circleville to climb up to Tree Huggers.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia returns everyone!!! Should be a good season in mercerville.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

TribeManiac: The Chef was told Piketon was missing 2 probable starters and other players when they met Peebles this summer and since then have student/athletes transferring in. Will be a different team than what people saw this summer.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wow ... The season hasn't even started and I'm already taking a 'toungue lashing' from the purple hippo ... Everyone is allowed to disagree but 93Bulldog??? Man, talk about harsh ... lol ... It seems just another ploy by the crafty fat hippo to keep the 'little guy' down ... The little guy being the TVC of course.

Floyd ... We're going to continue to 'fight the machine' buddy ... You can't keep the little guys down forever - our numbers have grown to 15 schools (soon to be 16) - who knows, we might just decide to annex the SEOAL soon ... Then what would you do???

BTW ... Futurebkstar ... Is Nolan going to play for South Gallia? If not, perhaps say 'everyone but one.'

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Grinder- Unless something major happened with Circleville, I'm not sure how they are even going to be able repeat last year's perfomance. They graduated 5 of their top 7, including all of their impact players. They also had a below average JV team, so I'll be shocked if they win more than 5 games this season.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

zane trace went 5-17 last year, but they do return most of their players.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I like your list, pfloyd, and thanks for putting the Trojans #1..........

I do think we will have a very good team, but it's always tough to stay #1 when you're preseason #1. We have games at #2 Chillicothe, at #5 Ironton, and at #7 Warren in the first 3 weeks of the season. We will be seriously tested early as to how long we can keep that #1 spot.

It will be interesting to see how many teams move up and down your list.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Zane Trace should be much improved, especially if Whitehouse is healthy. With him and Tripp being out most of last year reallly should help this year's team. Carle and Hill both had solid years and adding Whitehouse and that's a real solid backcourt and possibly the top one in the SVC.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Pfloyd- How many teams are possible for your list? You have 64 listed! That's gotta be almost the entire district.

The SVC will be fun this year, with many teams being vastly improved, while Piketon should still be strong as well.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC below Athens? Cmon pfloyd! Show some love to the Vikes! They may have lost 3 starters but the jv team did go 20-0! Huge opening game against 8 Huntington. A win would definitely move the Vikes up! Also watch out for Wellston! They have alot to play for this year with it being the first without Derrow. Can't wait till December!!

popeyes
Waterboy

Post by popeyes »

Valley will be in the top 5 and Waverly also in the top 8.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

chef_piketon wrote:TribeManiac: The Chef was told Piketon was missing 2 probable starters and other players when they met Peebles this summer and since then have student/athletes transferring in. Will be a different team than what people saw this summer.
Was not aware of that. Thanks for the info. Good luck to the streaks this season.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

danicalifornia wrote:Grinder- Unless something major happened with Circleville, I'm not sure how they are even going to be able repeat last year's perfomance. They graduated 5 of their top 7, including all of their impact players. They also had a below average JV team, so I'll be shocked if they win more than 5 games this season.

I don't think they are in the elite by any means but from what I saw over the summer they play hard and I think they will climb up. Pfloyd, I like the work you do on here. You make it fun for all of us high school basketball fans to have something to debate. I noticed usually at the end of the year your list is always pretty close to the teams that make tournament runs. Maybe thats why all the basketball fans lobby so hard for their teams to make your list. Can't wait for the games to start!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”