Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Post by Ironman92 »

That's fine...but one thing is for sure....we'll never ,ever know. Remember Oak Hill was facing the D4 powerhouses in the regional and one was upset and Oak HIll with little chance took down the other. New Knoxville is arguably one of the best teams ever in D4......but Oak Hill won the state championship...winning 2 more deep tournament games than that great Eastern Meigs team. Many teams have a final 4 appearance and could argue with the same thing you are going to argue back.

What did that Eastern team return the following year?

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I think they just made it to Districts. Matt Simpson, Garret Karr, Joe Brown, Brad Brannon, Chris Lyons were on the final four team..Probably the best Eastern team ever. They may not be in the top 8, I havent been around to see all of the teams down here but they were pretty tough

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WELL ITS ABOUT TIME FLOYD! LOL

THROWING THE 'DOGS A "BONE" LIKE THAT (TIED FOR NO. 8) WAS PRETTY SNEAKY ... OR A VERY SMART POLITICAL STATEMENT ... I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE RUNNING FOR 'GOVENOR OF SEOPS' ... :mrgreen:

PERSONALLY, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ATHENS A BIT HIGHER - AND I AM GUESSING IF THEY KEEP SURVIVING, THEY WILL MOVE UP AS OTHER TEAMS ARE KNOCKED OFF ...

BTW ... AN ALL TIME TOP 8 WOULD BE VERY COOL - MAYBE JUST AN 'ALL DECADE TOP 8' STARTING WITH THE 2000 TEAMS TOO THE PRESENT ... PERHAPS LOG INTO JJHUDDLE AND LOCATE OUR ELITE 8 THREADS IN THE WEB SITE ARCHIVES ...

If I had to start with a team and go down - you would have to put 2009 OAK HILL team in the #1 slot ... Then the SOUTH WEBSTER JEEPS state championship team ... No. 3 could be the IRONTON team that lost to O.J. Mayo in the finals ... After that, it would get pretty tough ... lol ...

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

93Bulldog wrote:WELL ITS ABOUT TIME FLOYD! LOL

THROWING THE 'DOGS A "BONE" LIKE THAT (TIED FOR NO. 8) WAS PRETTY SNEAKY ... OR A VERY SMART POLITICAL STATEMENT ... I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE RUNNING FOR 'GOVENOR OF SEOPS' ... :mrgreen:

PERSONALLY, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ATHENS A BIT HIGHER - AND I AM GUESSING IF THEY KEEP SURVIVING, THEY WILL MOVE UP AS OTHER TEAMS ARE KNOCKED OFF ...

BTW ... AN ALL TIME TOP 8 WOULD BE VERY COOL - MAYBE JUST AN 'ALL DECADE TOP 8' STARTING WITH THE 2000 TEAMS TOO THE PRESENT ... PERHAPS LOG INTO JJHUDDLE AND LOCATE OUR ELITE 8 THREADS IN THE WEB SITE ARCHIVES ...

If I had to start with a team and go down - you would have to put 2009 OAK HILL team in the #1 slot ... Then the SOUTH WEBSTER JEEPS state championship team ... No. 3 could be the IRONTON team that lost to O.J. Mayo in the finals ... After that, it would get pretty tough ... lol ...

The Oak Hill team is by no means #1. Webster, Ironton, 08 Chilli, and potentially a few others would both have beaten that team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

YOUR RIGHT .... '08 CHILLI SHOULD BE NO. 1 ... I KEEP FORGETTING THEIR A 'SOUTHEAST' TEAM ...Growing up, Chillicothe seemed like more of a 'columbus' team ... when they joined the SEOAL, that perception changed ... I believe also the Cavs use to be D-1 in hoops when I was growing up so them and Logan were always at the Fairgrounds in the central district tournement ...

But as far and the Jeeps and the Tigers - who knows who would win between Oak Hill and those two teams ... they are all three really good ... I personally loved that IRONTON TEAM, it was by far my favorite to watch at the Convo for two straight years ... They played some outstanding games in the Districts and barely escaped to even make it to the State tournament ... They had a double overtime game with Westfall that was awesome, I believe Gaigai hit a three with one second on the clock to win it ... Another game, I think it was when Waginger & Gaigai were sophomores or maybe even freshmen - the Tigers were a bit of a sleeper team back then - but they faced a Lucasville Valley team that possessed 5 or 6 players that were 6'8 or taller and completely tormented/out hustled/out played a much bigger Valley team to reach the District final.

HERE ARE SOME INTRESTING FACTS: (these were recorded in 2008 so they're not 100% updated/correct)

IRONTON's record at the convo (all time history) as of 2008 was an astonishing 21-3.
CHESAPEAKE's was 25-6

As of 2008 Portsmouth had the most District titles (34) ... Ironton had 11 and Chillicothe had 10.

MORE TEAMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR AN 'ALL DECADE TEAM' ...

* The 2006 LOGAN ELM BRAVES (D-II DISTRICT CHAMPS)
* The 2004, 2005 GREENFIELD MCCLAIN TEAMS (D-II DISTRICT CHAMPS)
* The '04, '05, '06 D-III DISTRICT CHAMPS was CHESAPEAKE & IRONTON for three consecutive years.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

2002 Whiteoak made the final 4 and the very next year made the elite 8.....that's worth consideration

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I think the Ironton team that lost to Mayo,Walker and North College Hill gets the nod over 08 Chillicothe.Waginger,Gagai,Howard,and company were unbelievable! Chilli was also stacked with Hitchens leading the way but I got to go with Ironton.Also 09 Oak Hill, 06 Webster,Burg with Camden Miller,Cowgill and company were tough I believe in 07.Last years Piketon and North Adams clubs should be considered but my vote goes to Ironton the state runner-up season as they took power house North College Hill to the wire.That was probably the best High School atmosphere I had ever seen for that state title game.We have been fortunate to see some great High School Basketball here in SE Ohio over the years and this year is no exception.

Great job on this weeks list pfloyd...I see Warren slipping out of the elite 8 after this week,,WHo will take there place?Could be Porsmouth,Chesapeake,Eastern Meigs? We shall see..I love Bball below the line! Appreciate your time and effort with the list. Keep an eye on Eastern Pike,they took one on the chin against Piketon but will only get better from it,They sit at 4-1 with Clay soming in Friday before a big matchup wit SOC favorite Symmes Valley next Tuesday! GO EAGLES!!!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

ironman,
the problem with fairfield playing a tough schedule and losing to d2 teams is that it hurts their seeding at the tournament. the seeds are usually based on your record with no regard for strength of schedule. also the leagues seem to stick together and shl with only three teams usually bite the bullet. they don't ask who, they ask how many. on the other hand if you know you are going to get the shaft you might as well get prepared to play the better teams earlier in the sectional.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the only games I have results for tonight ...

Portsmouth 42
Chillicothe 45

Waverly 63
Minford 41

Ironton 58
Gallia Academy 31

... all of the visiting teams picked up W's tonight ... as Portsmouth drops their first SEOAL game of the season to fall from first place in the league with their first SEOAL loss of the season going to 4-3 on the year ... Ironton remains undefeated in the SEOAL at 4-0 /7-2 overall ... Waverly traveled into Minford taking an easy one from the Falcons , the Tigers improve to 6-1 on the season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a few more ...

Greenfield McClain 63
Miami Trace 43

Washington CH 73
Madison Plains 64

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I know sparky....not as well as you do....but I've seen it the past several years.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Hillsboro over previously undefeated Eastern Brown, 66-64 at Hillsboro. Tyler Knabb led all scorers with 31 for Eastern.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hillsboro is talented...play a lot of smaller schools it seems, but they will be a tough out in the tourney.

slug
Freshman Team

Post by slug »

Did Hillsboro lead the whole game?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Ironman92 wrote:Hillsboro is talented...play a lot of smaller schools it seems, but they will be a tough out in the tourney.

They seemed a bit heavy, probably due to the different styles of training for football/basketball. A quick up-tempo team could be their kryptonite come tourny time. The last two teams they played in Whiteoak and Eastern were both gaurd oriented and almost beat Hillsboro, despite being much smaller schools. A team that forces their big boys down the court could have the advantage.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

slug wrote:Did Hillsboro lead the whole game?

No, Eastern lead the entire first half.

slug
Freshman Team

Post by slug »

I figured it would be close, but thought maybe Eastern would get this one?

Sounds like a good game.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

slug wrote:I figured it would be close, but thought maybe Eastern would get this one?

Sounds like a good game.

It was very good. It seemed like Knabb had to carry Eastern at times though.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Freshmen
Ironton 51 GAHS 49
Reserve
Gallipolis 41 Ironton 38
Varsity
Ironton 58 Gallipolis 31

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Trojans need to bounce back against The Blue Devils,hopefully we can mnake it threw Jan in a positive fashion

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”