Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Wk 7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Wk 7

Post by pfloyd »

... a final thought about ranking teams ... I posted that I feel good about the rankings - THAT is the way it should be at this point in the season! by week #7 teams have shown what they bring to the court , strengths/weaknesses are there for all to see ... hard to hide what you have or don't have as a TEAM at this point ... I have said many times that the hardest rankings are the "early season" rankings - knowing coaches/systems/programs/ players from the previous season ALL play into the early season rankings ... IF you do it right , you have to come up with GOOD early season ranking for the teams at THAT time, from that point on you rank teams based on performance on the court, etc. one thing you CAN'T DO if you are to have a legitimate ranking is to throw darts when ranking - you can't move a team 20 spots in your rankings based on a win or loss - obviously teams WILL move up/down but you can't jump teams based on the "flavor" of the week ... there has to be a sound ranking philosophy behind what you do or your rankings have zero credibility ... the best example this season IS Eastern Pike - starting the preseason at #25, the Eagles have moved up , earned their way into the Elite 8 with quality play on the court, quality wins... Coach Fitch's squad have had the "W's" ALL season BUT moving into the Elite 8 is based on earning your way in/ there are many quality teams in front of teams on the TreeHugger list that you can't ignore ... the combination of wins by one team, losses by others allow for moves up the rankings ( with Eastern Pike - the Eagles beat Notre Dame at ND after ND lost to Symmes Valley last week, VC lost to Athens, Minford lost to Valley - all came together to allow EHS to move into the Elite 8 during the Week that Is) ... again a team doesn't move up/down, hold their position on a whim - I like to think the rankings are as unbiased as they can be/ teams determine where they are ranked not me, not the Ouija Board, not the throwing of a dart ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WCH lost to LE by 29 points just to make the record clear - 64-35. Not arguing for LE to make the list, because they've lost a couple of games they probably shouldn't have and are remaking themselves a bit from what they were earlier in the season.

Rankings are fun but don't mean a lot. Teams will get to prove their worth on the tournament floor. As for the district, we have one stud team in Ironton and then several good ones.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

You are slipping pfloyd.

Are you trying to tell me Florida is north of the Lancaster Dixon line?

Still can't have Athens tied with Warren if Athens beat Wellston. Warren still beat Athens at Athens...while it was insanely close and could've went either way....on the road accounts for a decent bit and a win is not a tie/loss.

Athens is #3 regardless of Wellston....just closer to #2 than before and further away from #4

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bman - you're right that rankings don't mean much ... as far as being fun? rankings are WORK !!! LOL ... I think I do it right - I take it very seriously probably too seriously LOL ... I'm not even sure I could ever narrow down my focus to ONE league, or follow just one team anymore - it's ALL 71 or none ... sort of like going to watch a basketball game - I CAN'T just watch a game, have to keep napkin stats, have to analyze the game during and after ... as far as the Elite 8 goes I DO feel the rankings fairly represent hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio DURING the season ... once the "survive and advance" season starts I STOP my rankings - TEAMS take care of either being "one and done" or moving on with their play on the court ... rankings mean "zero" in the post season ... I suppose I could stop doing the rankings ... but it's just the nature of the beast to compare one team vs another even though they may not meet on the court ... by not doing the rankings I could save a whole lot of time - Mrs. Floyd would be in favor of me not doing the rankings LOL ... not even sure the rankings would be missed after a week or so LOL ... BUT I personally enjoy following the teams, the players, the coaches - I have met up with so many great hoops fans/coaches in what is area wise 1/4 of the state of Ohio - I wouldn't/couldn't change what I do ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 - LOL !!!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Good look at your top 8 and why.
A lot of good teams out there and I look forward to tournament time and seeing these teams make SE Ohio proud.
I do believe there are several teams that can make a run to the state and hope the best for all these young men as they try to as a team.
Greak Job Pfloyd enjoy seeing your insight on teams and believe you rank how you believe they should be not how you want them.
Keep up the great work.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I enjoy reading pfloyd's weekly rankings. Hard to put something like this each week. Gotta figure in good/ bad wins, good/bad losses, who's already beat who, and so on. More work than I would ever do.

My Streaks have played lights out the last 4 games, but all 4 have been against sub .500 teams. Theyve won a couplethey maybe shouldnt have, but theyve lost a couple they shouldnt have. I'll wait and see where they stand at the end of the season. Keep up the good work pfloyd.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Pfloyd I always enjoy your rankings. You call it like you see it and always give great napkin stats. I always look forward to looking at your elite 8, plus we hear of some good players on teams we usually don't get to watch. If you don't agree with Pfloyd he is always open to a debate, which is fun to read in itself. Pfloyd you must be doing pretty good this year I haven't seen 93 Bulldog lobbing and debating to get a team moved up in your rankings.LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hopper 11 wrote:Pfloyd you must be doing pretty good this year I haven't seen 93 Bulldog lobbing and debating to get a team moved up in your rankings.LOL
After my nauseating attempts to get Southern moved up the board last year Hopper, I decided to give Floyd a little break this season ... lol

And what can I say, he's had Athens in the top 2 or 3 all year ... I don't want to anger the ol purple hippo and have him take it out my 'Dogs you know.

Nope, the only selling 93dog has done this year is for the MILLER FALCONS, who I lobbied for - and finally got off the end table ...which I consider a huge success!

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren gets a HUGE come from behind "W" over Newark Catholic !!!

Warren 55
Newark Catholic 52 final

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

pfloyd wrote:Warren gets a HUGE come from behind "W" over Newark Catholic !!!

Warren 55
Newark Catholic 52 final

Where is that darn "like" button?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio-Week 7

1. Ironton (10-2)

2. Warren (12-1)

3. Athens (12-2)

4. Eastern Brown (14-2)

5. Piketon (12-3)

6. Washington CH (11-3)

7. Oak Hill (12-2)/ Miami Trace (10-4)

8. Lucasville Valley (12-3) / Eastern Pike (11-2)

... TreeHugger Wannabes ...

Vinton County (10-3)
Minford (10-3)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (11-3)
Logan Elm (11-4)
Fairland (11-4)
Federal Hocking (11-3)
Zane Trace (10-3)
Peebles (10-4)
Chesapeake (9-4)
Coal Grove (12-3)
South Webster (9-5)
Nelsonville York (11-4)
North Adams (9-5)
Sheridan (8-4)
Unioto (8-6)
Portsmouth (7-8)
Whiteoak (8-6)
Symmes Valley (8-5)
Fairfield Leesburg (6-7)
Portsmouth West (6-7)
Portsmouth East (9-4)
Hillsboro (5-8)
Southeastern (8-6)
Waverly (6-9)
Circleville (6-8)
Wheelersburg (6-7)
Wellston (8-7)
Greenfield McClain (5-10)
Marietta (6-8)
Huntington (6-9)
Paint Valley (5-10)
Westfall (3-10)
Belpre (6-7)
Meigs (6-6)
Logan (4-7)
Chillicothe (3-12)
Gallia Academy (7-8)
Trimble (8-8)
New Lexington (6-8)
Fairfield Union (5-7)
Southern (7-7)
South Point (7-8)
Miller (5-9)
Crooksville (6-7)
South Gallia (5-10)
St. Joseph (6-9)
Alexander (3-11)
Waterford (4-7)
Rock Hill (4-10)
Western Pike (3-11)
Portsmouth Clay (4-9)
Manchester (4-10)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Lynchburg Clay (3-9)
Green (2-10)
New Boston (2-11)
Reedsville Eastern (3-11)
Adena (1-12)
West Union (2-13)
River Valley (2-13)
Northwest (1-11)
Jackson (0-13)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Schnellfritz ... this win will be a MAJOR confidence builder for Coach Maddox's Warriors ... neutral court "W" vs NC , 6-7 size, 1000 pt scorer, staying in contact throughout the game, come from behind "W" down the stretch - bring on the post season ...

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

This is a very High quality win that Warren desperately needed to build their confidence. I couldn't make it to the game, but 100.9 saved the day. My nerves were still on edge throughout, but warren has a ball club that could go places due to its aggressive play and tenacity. Whew, I can relax excitedly the rest of the night. I hope to meet you sometime....Perhaps at the convo.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... always a pleasure to meet more Warrior fans Schnellfritz - I will be at the Convo if at all possible, I will be taking in the Logan Sectional as well where your Warrior Blue should be #1 seed ...

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

I should be at both so I will look for the purple hippo and I'll bring along whatever hippos like to eat.....Popcorn?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... popcorn is always a Purple Hippo favorite LOL ... I should be wearing the world famous Pfloyd Tour Shirt with the Purple Hippo on the front/back ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Schnellfritz wrote:I should be at both so I will look for the purple hippo and I'll bring along whatever hippos like to eat.....Popcorn?
We humbly ask that YOU DON'T feed the Hippo inside the Convocation Center ... darn thing is a nuisance already.

and congrats to the Warriors ... any win over a quality opponent outside southeastern Ohio is good for the district.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Warren definitely picked up a quality win over a NC program that made it's first ever appearance in the final 4 in 2010 after it's best season ever during that 2009-10 regular season ... looking at the JV/Freshman teams NC will have size/quality teams for a few years to come ...

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

pfloyd wrote:... Warren definitely picked up a quality win over a NC program that made it's first ever appearance in the final 4 in 2010 after it's best season ever during that 2009-10 regular season ... looking at the JV/Freshman teams NC will have size/quality teams for a few years to come ...

The JV Warriors posted a nice 48-46 win over NC to improve to 13-0 on the season. The cupboard isn't bare on St Rt 339.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”