Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Nov. 25

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Nov. 25

Post by pfloyd »

... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh !!! turkey "samiches" and cold stuffing .... the only thing better is the start of another hoops season in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ... we had both in the last 3 days sooooooo it can't get much better ... the first weekend of hs basketball some traditional "first" games, the complimentary "debut classics" .... it was ALL good in my book - went to Chillicothe Friday evening for a doubleheader followed by my tradition of taking in the Zane Trace Mickey D's Classic for 5 games on Saturday - GOTTA!!! LUV IT!!! AND I didn't get cold , wet, snowed on .... it was all inside , just like the story of the 3 bears - everything was "just right" - high school hoops has begun ... the First Official Elite 8 List is ready for your scrutiny ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Week(end) #1 ...

1. Zanesville 0-0 ... the Blue Devils of Coach Aronhalt did their Ohio State imitation by sitting at home watching others, in this case others hitting the hardwood ... the Cavs of Chillicothe cooperated by dropping their opening game at home vs Brookhaven HS 73-68 ... the loss by CHS moved ZHS into the #1 slot on the official "Week(end) #1" Elite 8 list ... the 'ville opens with Columbus East at home FRIDAY night (a change on our pocket schedule lineup)... will the Blue Devils return the favor of dropping their opening game a la the Cavaliers or does Logan Aronhalt, Cedric Harris, Andre Harris, Joey Prati & Co. decide they want to improve on that 20-3 season of last season ??? ... for now ZHS holds the one spot ...

2. Chillicothe 0-1 ... I know , I know the Cavs played an always tough Brookhaven team BUT the game WAS at Chilli, the Cavs ARE loaded, and CHS IS touted as THE team in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... HOWEVER the Cavs DID lose in OT 73-68 to Brookhaven on Saturday ... 0-1 to start the season ...Ray Chambers got out of the blocks BIG with a 29 point effort for the Cavs ... Chilli has a long "vacation" before playing their next game vs Gallia Academy on the road December 7th ...

3. Vinton County 1-0 ... Coach Combs' Vikings hit the road to take on Racine Southern as the big favorites ... the Vikes didn't disappoint putting a hurt on the Tornadoes 61-42 ... VC had Southern collared from the "git go" ... 18-5 after one quarter with the Big Man in the Middle Dustin Guthrie scoring the first 10 points of the game for VC ... 34-13 at intermission ... 48-24 after the 3rd ... game, set and match - no contesto for the Vikings ... everyone got on the board for VC with D. Guthrie leading the way with 21 points ... next up for Vinton County will be the 0-1 Trimble Tomcats on Friday this week ...

4. Oak Hill 1-0 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill Boyz opened by beating Portsmouth Notre Dame 78-39 ... we know that Oak Hill is loaded this season BUT "napkin stats" from the game have been apparently sealed by Coach Norm - "not available at this time" ... what we do know for sure (info obtained through CSIseops) - Notre Dame was coached by Rick Hopkins ... ND had a lineup of Aaron Noel, Alex Glockner, Kevin Delabar, Alex Davis with Shane Slack/Taylor Fitch at the five spot ... for Oak Hill ? for certain the Oaks had the following lineup of players to chose from : 6-3 Drew Cannon/5-6 Jordan Strickland/6-6 Casey Love/6-3 Jesse Sloan/6-0 Kyle Ondera/5-7 Travis Belvins/6-0 Westen Hale/5-10 Dylan Lewis/6-2 Ryan Borden/5-8 Braiden McCoy/6-1 Daniel Parker/5-11 Michael Evans/6-1 Cody Massie/6-5 JD Hale/6-4 Cory Miller/6-2 Chris Dupree/6-1 Austin Brown/6-5 Cody Cannon ...NOW Norm could have used any and ALL of these on the Oaks Menu ??? ... we'll have to wait to see how the boyz handle the two games this week on the road @ Symmes Valley Tuesday, @ Valley on Friday ... MAYBE we'll have a "snitch" give up some "napkin stats" after this weeks action ...

also at the 4 spot ...

4. Huntington 1-0 ... the Huntsmen and the Kellough boyz beat the Roundtown Cirlceville Tigers 74-65 ... no "napkin stats" on this one ...

5. Fairland 0-0 ... Coach Belville's Dragons have 2 tough opening games on the road AT Green on the 27th ... AT Federal Hocking Saturday Dec. 1st ...

6. Wheelersburg 1-0 ... the Burg opened it's season on the road at Chesapeake ... the Pirates picked up the "W" 65-48 ... Coach Barrick picked up career win number 320 ... next up for WHS is a trip to Minford this Friday evening to take on the Falcons ..

7. Logan Elm 0-1 ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson gave the more talented Harvest Prep squad all they wanted and more on a neutral court at Zane Trace ... losing in OT 69-67 (1 call stood out as a 3 point swing when the ball was kicked out of bounds by HP but was given to HP who dropped a trey on LE - THE CALL ) great game ... outstanding effort and basketball by the Braves players - Steve Largent 21 points/19 in the 2nd half ... Tim Congrove 25/19 in the 1st half including 4 treys ... Zack Holbrook 9/Bryant Blake 7 ... Coach Stiverson has the horses to have yet another great campaign with LE ... probably not going to see a quicker team than Harvest Prep BUT the Braves next outing will be AT Hamilton Twp. Dec. 4th - yet another quick/athletic ball club ...

8. Rock Hill 0-1 /Warren Local 1-0 ... two teams passing on the list ... one the Rock Hill Redmen dropped their opener at Federal Hocking 63-62 ... Warren traveled to Morgan HS and stuffed the Raiders 60-39 ... RH has a chance to even their record at 1-1 as they take on one of those foreign teams Friday night AT Ashland HS, Ashland KY ... Coach Maddox and the Warriors have their annual get together with Fort Frye at the Warriordome Saturday December 1st ...

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Waverly ... Tigers move up w/o tipping it off !!! what's up with that ??? a Friday night contest @ South Webster will see if WHS deserves to be within sight of the Elite 8 ...

Portsmouth

South Point ... 1-0 blistered Valley 83-56 ... Todd Mayo 29 pts/6 stls/4 blks ... Corey Taylor 25 pts/16 rbs/3 blks ... Beau Weed 14 pts/5 assts/4stls ... Kyle Hughes 8 rbs ...

Zane Trace ... 1-0 with a W over Grandview 54-47 ... Korey Keister 17 pts/3 treys ... Beau Dailey 15 pts/1 trey ... Matt Miller (very solid ball player) 15 pts ...

Ironton ... won't play game one until Dec 4th ...

Piketon 0-1 ... losing to Greenfield McClain 60-72 ... very physical team called for a legit 32 fouls vs GM ... led by Cody Smith 22/Jordan Brabson 15 ... take on Northwest/Unioto this week ...

Federal Hocking 1-0 ... knocked off preseason #6 Rock Hill 63-62 ... take on Belpre at home Friday night Nov. 30th

Greenfield McClain 1-1 ... beat a talented Piketon team 72-60 before losing to D1 Reynoldsburg 41-32 in back-to-back games ... vs Piketon Jeremie Webster 25/Alex Anderson 13/Lucas Polley 11/Vinnie Zollo 7 with great play from Jordan Ralph ...

Washington CH 1-0 ... Coach Shaffer has a good tandem in Travis Shaw on the perimeter and Alex Wilson ... AND the endorsement of trojandave ...

North Adams 1-0 winner vs Northwest 72-61

Belpre 0-1 ... a loser on the road at Fort Frye ...

Waterford

Adena 1-0 ... beat on Coach Pat Hines' WhiteOak boyz 50-28 ...led by Clay Roll's 23 points ...

Coal Grove

Fairfield Union 2-0 ... lost a lot last year to graduation ... will definitely be watching FU this season ...

River Valley 1-0 ... beat the youngster laden Reedsville Eastern Eagles 75-69 ...

... Teams on the End Table ...

Chesapeake 0-1 ... lost to Wheelersburg 48-65 ...

Unioto 0-1 ... 65-74 to an athletic Hamilton Twp team ... Curtis Baker will be a beast for the Shermans 25pts/6 treys with 5 in the last quarter , Bower is a good PG and the big man in the middle Kimsey moves well, catches the ball, AND can put it down 12 points vs HTHS ... UHS will not be a given on the schedule ...

Miller 1-0 ... 66-54 winners vs Millersport ... Dustin Householder scored a career high 36 points/3 treys ...

South Gallia

Alexander 1-0 ... beat a not very good Trimble team 59-53 ...

Circleville 0-1 ... a loser to top 8 team Huntington at the Chilli Showcase ...

Meigs ... take on Gallia Academy Friday night the 30th...

Logan ... on the road at St. Chucks Friday/at home vs a not very good Bloom Carroll team on Saturday ...

Reedsville Eastern 0-1 ... lost to River Valley 69-75 ... I still like the sophomore group on the Eagles led by Jake Lynch ...

SouthEastern Ross 0-1 ... lost 41-59 to Cin. Clark Mont. HS

Marietta 0-1 ... lost at Cambridge 46-53 ...

Gallia Academy

Jackson 1-0 ... picked up the first "W" for Coach Hurst as the Ironmen's head coach vs Minford 71 -61

... that's how I see 'em after the first Week(end) of play Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line here in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

I was wondering why Coach A had his sweater vest on.....Go Devil's

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I'll take a closer look my list to see who I may have left off ... you can not believe what my screen looks like after staring at it for a few hours LOL ... editing is forthcoming as the night goes along ...

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

Thanks for the faith in the Redmen although they lost by one... I have a feeling they will not let you down! :)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Definately worthy of some mention Lynchburg Clay defeated their Highland Co big brother Hillsboro on Saturday

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 it was sure easier when there was 2 of us doing this stuff !!! LOL ... keep bringing up more teams for me to look at ... I did hear that they were going to start cramming an extra 3 hours into each of the 24 hour days !!!

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

A ZHS loss to East would be a much bigger shock than Chilli losing to Brookhaven.

And I really doubt the Devils were "sitting." :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ZV ... the game with East is not Tuesday as is on the pocket schedules - it is REALLY on Friday the 30th ???

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

It is the 30th. East requested the change. I believe they had a scheduling glitch and wound up with two contracts for the same date. Both of us had an open date on the 30th, so the game was moved to that date.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Chilli should beat brookhaven by 15 pts every time they play. Ray was basically playing 1 on 5 for the last 3 quarters and it still went to OT, but i warned people that Chilli would take their lumps early b/c thats just what they do. dont know what it is about Kellough coached teams but they seem to take a while to mesh. wouldnt be suprised if chilli loses another couple of games before new years. but you can count on one thing, when the seasons nears its end and tourneys are around the corner, this team will be red hot and very very dangerous.

note to athletic directors out there. if you wanna schedule Chillicothe, do it in the first couple weeks of the season.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
fhsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by fhsfan »

Pfloyd,

Due to some teams needing to move games, the Fairland Dragons are opening with a tough 4 game road trip.

At Green - don't know much about them, but always seem well coached

At Federal Hocking - just beat Rock Hill

At Greenup County - usually very talented

At Rock Hill - in the elite 8

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... fhsfan ... welcome to the "fishbowl" world of SEOPs LOL ... thanks for the info on Fairland's upcoming schedule ... the Dragons DO have some early tests - as you said Green is usually well coached although they went through a coaching change last season with Coach Hopper coming on board ... they only lost 3 seniors off of that squad so they do return some senior leadership and a little size (5 players in the 6-2+ range this year) ... they always play tough D and try to score out of their defensive pressure - won't be any different this year ... the Bobcats aren't going to be an easy "W" especially in Franklin Furnace. Federal Hocking??? as you posted just beat Rock Hill last weekend ... FH is a very solid, disciplined ball club at both ends of the floor - they won't beat themselves ... Coach Vales has coached this group from the time they put on their basketball shoes LOL ... Gandee, Vales, McCune, Smith, Stanley, Thompson all names to circle on your game programs this weekend ...

... best of luck to Fairland in the Week that IS ... 1-1 after this weekend is a good start ... they'll have to earn that 2-0 first week though ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Nice to see Unioto get a mention. I was also impressed with the Detillion boy for Unioto. Baker sure did catch fire in the 2nd half. Hopefully Unioto doesn't face pressure like they faced on Saturday again for a while, although they'll see a lot this weekend(Fri- Piketon, Sat- @Greenfield)

I wasn't all that impressed with Adena, just because of how poorly Whiteoak shot on Friday. I was a couple of glaring weaknesses, but if Clay Roll is knocking down outside shots(which he didn't do in a 22 pt win) look out!

One SVC team I still see to look out for(and you mentioned them) is Southeastern. They have two juniors who are each over 6'8 and 3 returning players who got big minutes last year.

I'll have a full preview of this weekend's action later on in the week.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

danical, where did you get those heights from on the SE boys? in watching them saturday at chilli they had one kid that might have been 6'7"-6'8" that only played about 5 minutes, and the other tallest kid, Monroe, looks to be about 6'4"-6'5".

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I believe SE listed the Monroe kid at 6'7 last year, LOL. I knew the other kid was bigger, but I hadn't seen either yet this year, so I was going off of other info. That info was obviously wrong.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Monroe is every bit of 6'7" and the other, Hurles I believe is at least 3-4 inches taller than him and a little taller than the Kimsey kid from Unioto who is going to be a nice player. I would not be suprised to see Southeastern play small and press a lot when everyone gets healthy and able to play. I think they only had 7 or 8 kids available Saturday. Could mean not much p.t. for the big kids. Hopefully they keep improving. It is still early.
The list looks pretty good. I watched Zane Trace in the opener and it looks like they need a lot of work as well. Should be pretty balanced in the S.V.C.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... was able to see some of the better big men in Southern/SouthEast Ohio this past Week(end) ...

Matt Miller ... senior at Zane Trace ... a very solid ball player , can take his man off the dribble, gets to the rim, boards very well ... a 15 pt performance vs Grandview ...

Jeremy Webster ... senior at Greenfield McClain ... one of the best long distance strokes around for a player of any size ... can play with his back to the hoop, handles the ball on the perimeter had 4 treys in the Week(end) that Was ... 25 pts vs Piketon on Friday night ... as much as he gets touches you would hope he could shot the free throw - he can and does 9/10 Friday night ( sorry Jeremy I jinxed you, told the wife that with your stroke I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't miss a FT all season lol ) ... going to have a breakout senior season as THE Man in the GM attack this season ...

Vincent Zollo ... freshman at Greenfield McClain ... this kid is a super star in the making ... could not believe he was just a freshman ... can shoot the 3 ball ... bangs down low for Coach Van Matre ... at 6-6 he is still growing ...

Steve Largent ... Logan Elm ... a 21 point performance vs Harvest Prep on Saturday ... no info on his size BUT he's got to be 6-6 or so ... built strong, he gets on the boards, blocks shots in the paint, he has good moves down low ... the kid will get better and better every time out for Coach Stiverson and the Braves ... he's still learning the game on the defensive end - finding himself out of position at times, a little tentative at times BUT he is a player ...

Mr. Kimsey ... Unioto ... 12 points vs Hamilton Twp ... has to be 6-8 , length in his arms, moves very well around the basket with and without the ball , elevates ( many tall kids use their height as a crutch to not jump) , threw down a nice dunk ... Kimsey Baker, Detillion will make the Shermans a very dangerous ball club as the season wears on ...

Jordan Brabson ... 6-3 ... Piketon ... not sure if he counts as a BIG man .. all of the Red Streaks are about the same height LOL ... but he's a good one ... 15 points vs Greenfield McClain Friday night ... got the rim, picked up fouls, got the line (6/7 FTs) ... hit from the perimeter 1 trey ...

... just a few of the Big Boys roaming the paint this past Week(end) that Was ...

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

pfloyd wrote:... was able to see some of the better big men in Southern/SouthEast Ohio this past Week(end) ...

Matt Miller ... senior at Zane Trace ... a very solid ball player , can take his man off the dribble, gets to the rim, boards very well ... a 15 pt performance vs Grandview ...

Jeremy Webster ... senior at Greenfield McClain ... one of the best long distance strokes around for a player of any size ... can play with his back to the hoop, handles the ball on the perimeter had 4 treys in the Week(end) that Was ... 25 pts vs Piketon on Friday night ... as much as he gets touches you would hope he could shot the free throw - he can and does 9/10 Friday night ( sorry Jeremy I jinxed you, told the wife that with your stroke I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't miss a FT all season lol ) ... going to have a breakout senior season as THE Man in the GM attack this season ...

Vincent Zollo ... freshman at Greenfield McClain ... this kid is a super star in the making ... could not believe he was just a freshman ... can shoot the 3 ball ... bangs down low for Coach Van Matre ... at 6-6 he is still growing ...

Steve Largent ... Logan Elm ... a 21 point performance vs Harvest Prep on Saturday ... no info on his size BUT he's got to be 6-6 or so ... built strong, he gets on the boards, blocks shots in the paint, he has good moves down low ... the kid will get better and better every time out for Coach Stiverson and the Braves ... he's still learning the game on the defensive end - finding himself out of position at times, a little tentative at times BUT he is a player ...

Mr. Kimsey ... Unioto ... 12 points vs Hamilton Twp ... has to be 6-8 , length in his arms, moves very well around the basket with and without the ball , elevates ( many tall kids use their height as a crutch to not jump) , threw down a nice dunk ... Kimsey Baker, Detillion will make the Shermans a very dangerous ball club as the season wears on ...

Jordan Brabson ... 6-3 ... Piketon ... not sure if he counts as a BIG man .. all of the Red Streaks are about the same height LOL ... but he's a good one ... 15 points vs Greenfield McClain Friday night ... got the rim, picked up fouls, got the line (6/7 FTs) ... hit from the perimeter 1 trey ...

... just a few of the Big Boys roaming the paint this past Week(end) that Was ...

Vinton County plays Zane Trace on Dec 4 in McArthur. Should be a great match-up in the paint with Guthrie and Miller bangin it out

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hurles has to be about 6'9.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

pfloyd wrote:... fhsfan ... Federal Hocking??? as you posted just beat Rock Hill last weekend ... FH is a very solid, disciplined ball club at both ends of the floor - they won't beat themselves ... Coach Vales has coached this group from the time they put on their basketball shoes LOL ... Gandee, Vales, McCune, Smith, Stanley, Thompson all names to circle on your game programs this weekend ...

pfloyd- don't forget Kory Williams of the Lancers. Returning point guard from last year . He would be the first name I would circle on my scorecard.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”