Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 30th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 30th

Post by pfloyd »

... the last week of 2007 action in Southern/Southeastern Ohio hoops saw a great deal of movement up and down the lists ... we had 2 of the top 8 meeting on the hardwood - Vinton County vs Huntington HS ... we had teams on the lists taking their shows on the road doing combat with some of those "foreign" teams across the river - some were more successful than others - the Chesapeake Panthers moving up with their 2 wins in the Wayne W.Va Holiday tournament while last weeks number 8 Federal Hocking went out of their league taking on Parkersburg South & Morgantown W. Va. each proving to be definitely in another league from Fed Hock, each putting up almost 100 points on the Lancers ... the top of the list has its' subtle movements up and down while the big movers and shakers are at the other end of the lists - the Treehugger Wannabees jockeying for position to slide up should one of the teams in the elite group stumbles , the End Table teams trying to keep it real while they come together in the 2nd half of the season ... this is where some of our quality coaching staffs have begun to make head way in finding the right player combinations that they can work with and live with down the stretch ... it's all about wins and losses ... it was at this time last year that Rock Hill started their run of 11 straight W's/ that Huntington made their run in the SVC ... let's see how the last week of the 2007 sets the table for the first week of 2008 ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio

1. Zanesville 8-0 /Chillicothe 6-1 ... both of the truly elite teams Below the Line kept pace with each other picking up 1 W a piece for Christmas ... Zanesville DID make the trip to Athens and DID destroy the 0-6 Bulldogs 105-35 ... the point total for the ville was a school record (for now) ... the Blue Devils put 4 players in double figures led by Logan Aronhalts' 30 points , Harris "squared" kicked in another 33 (Cedric 18 pts ... Andre 15 pts) Joe Prati 10 points ... the 'ville may just top that 105 mark as they travel to Jackson and Wheeling Park the first week in 08 .... Chillicothe kept pace by knocking off an improved Portsmouth Trojan squad 79-51 ... the Cavs went through the motions led by Humpty Hitchens' 17pts/5 assts ... Ray Chambers 12 pts ... Beverly 15 pts and Seth Dawes 11 pts ... CHS welcomes the 4-4 Logan Chieftains to town Friday night for their only game of the week ... could this be the week that the Cavs trip up with another "just going through the motions" type game ???? we will be in the cheap seats to see this one ....

2. Huntington 9-0 ... the Huntsmen played their way into the 2 spot this week by traveling down Rt. 50 to Vinton County to play the Vikings ... HHS ended the Vikes 33 game regular season win streak 61-57 ... HHS was led by the Kellough twins 49 points (Josh 25/Justin 24) ... arguably the best tandem in Southern Ohio hoops this season ... going to be tough to move the boyz in green out of the 2 spot - at least in the "down" direction ... the Huntsmen ARE that good ...

3. North Adams 11-0/Fairland 9-0 ... North Adams averaged 75 points per game in the Week that Was in dispatching both West Union (72-66) and Manchester (78-60) ... Fairland beat up on the foreign contingent from Huntington, W. Va - St. Josephs HS ... a 73-40 win for Coach Belville's boyz ... the usual cast of characters showed as Michael Lamb put up 17 pts/ Dustin Bumgardner with the double double 17pts/10 rbs while Cole Hatfield set the table with 7 assists ... THE marque game in Southern Ohio may just be the match-up Friday night between these Fairland Dragons vs the South Point Pointers ... will the Dragons be able to find a defensive match-up for Todd Mayo ? will the Pointers be able to stop the inside the paint play of Bumgardner/Lamb for the Dragons ??? should be a dandy down on the river January the 4th ...

4. Vinton County 9-1 ... the Vikes of Coach Combs suffered their first regular season set back in 33 contests - in any language that spells quality program ... the Vikes lost to the Kellough brothers and Huntington HS 61-57 at home to pick up the L ... a followup game had Jackson HS from the SEOAL as the sacrificial lamb as VC evened their holiday record with an 80- 46 win to go 1-1 for the Week that Was ... this week has VC on the road vs Meigs and Waverly ...

5. Oak Hill 9-1 ... Coach Persin's boyz celebrated the Christmas holiday by hammering on Southern 70-37 ... led by JD Hale's 18 pts/Casey Love 17/Jesse Slone 10/ Kyle Ondera 9pts/9 assts ... the Oak Hill Gang stay at home for New Years entertaining the Jeeps of South Webster Friday evening ...

6. Wheelersburg 6-2 ... the Pirates seem to have found the cure for what ails you in hs basketball - defense and senior leadership ... Drew Spradlin and Matt Jenkins led the Orange & Black onto foreign soil vs a 1- 4 Huntington HS team (W. Va) ... the Burg behind Spradlin's 21 pts/Jenkins 11 points held Huntington High under 50 pts defensively for a 55-47 "good guys" win ... WHS have a BIG week ahead as Coach Barrick & the boyz welcome Portsmouth West and Portsmouth HS to the hilltop on consecutive nights ...

7. South Point 8-0 ... the Pointers are the mystery team in Southern Ohio this season, are they for real ? or just an early season aberation ? 8-0 makes what ever we're seeing real imo ... Todd Mayo , Beau Weed & Co. are making believers out of all of us ... SP made a Houdini-like escape with a 54-53 win on a 2 pointer by Beau Weed with 12 seconds to play vs Northwest ... Mayo added his what has been the norm 22 points to the cause ... the Pointers can make major tremors in the Elite 8 as SP takes on this weeks number 3 Fairland on Friday night ... all eyes Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line will be watching their monitors for the result of this one ...

8. Logan Elm 6-3 ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson find themselves back on the elite list this week after picking up 2 W's ... beating Westfall 69-41 and rounding out the week with a business mans special 4 PM game win over Zane Trace at the Reservation Saturday by a score of 69-55 ... led by Tim Congrove 21pts/Adam Blake 17/Steve Largent 16/"Pete " Bryant Blake 8pts the Red & White took this one with defense shutting down ZT in quarters 2 & 3 (19 pts combined) while rolling up 36 points of their own ... this week has the Braves heading for a Saturday evening get together with Amanda CC ...

Treehugger Wannabees ...

Chesapeake 7-1 ... seven W's in a row for the Panthers ...
Warren 6-2 ... Warriors were 1-1 w/ a 53-45 home loss to Maysville
Greenfield McClain 8-2 ... 2-0 on the week, wins over Leesburg/Adena
Adena 6-2 ... losing to McClain 38-36 on the 0-1 week that was
Piketon 7-2 ... 2-0 winning the Pike Co Tourney beating all the directions Eastern 79-36/Western 67-62
Federal Hocking 5-3 ... 0-2 L's Parkersburg South 96-61/Morgantown 99-71 ...
Washington CH 6-3
Circleville 5-4
Fairfield Union 7-4
Waterford 5-2 ... losses to North Adams/Fed Hock ... W's - Wood Co.Chrst Scl/Nelsonville/Southern/Frontier/Wellston
Eastern Brown 3-4
Alexander 5-3
Western 5-3
Ironton 4-3 ... big road win over Claymont 60-56 Marc Carter 29 points for I'town ...
Lynchburg Clay 4-3
Minford 5-4
New Boston 5-2
Symmes Valley 6-3
Coal Grove 5-4
Logan 4-4
Portsmouth 4-5
Northwest 5-4
Rock Hill 4-5

Teams on the End Table ...

Reedsville Eastern 4-4
Portsmouth East 4-5
Marietta 3-6
Belpre 4-6
Hillsboro 3-6
WhiteOak 4-5
River Valley 3-5
West Union 3-6 ... saw 3-3 on another thread ... saw 3-6 on a post as well ???
Unioto 2-7

... the 07 portion of the hoops season in Southern/Southeastern Ohio showed the staying power of the old guard - Zanesville/Chillicothe/Vinton Co/Wheelersburg/Logan Elm ... the emergence of the "new kids on the block" - Huntington HS/Oak Hill/Fairland/South Point ... followed closely by those teams that WANT to be in the Elite 8 by season's end - the 'Peake/Greenfield McClain/Piketon/Adena/Warren ... 08 should be exciting as we begin the final 2 months of the regular season - Happy New Year to everyone that follows high school hoops Below the Line ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Thanks for the records pfloyd! Great job

Is Western considered West. . or is West, Port. West?

Do you know anything about Waverly, Wellston, East, or Valley?

"Do You Even Remember What It Is Like To Be To Tired To Run"

-I Am What I Am
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I see a thread started for "Records" ... I tried to include the records of the teams on my lists this go around ... as many "napkin stats" on game outcomes etc that I have you would think that the teams records would be not much of a stretch LOL ... have you read the newspaper accounts of the majority of the games ??? I have read as many as I can find - you would be surprised at the number of articles written that DO NOT include the team records - it amazes me that any responsible sports staff would NOT include that basic (in my eyes anyway) information ... sort of like reporting a game result here on SEOPs without the score - how can that be ??? ... any way - please inform me of any mistakes in the records I have posted - I WILL change them - this way we can ALL have a starting point to keep up with the teams that are at least on the front pages of Southern/SouthEast Ohio hoops ... thanks

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Nice list except Fairland should be alone at 3 they beat west union by 20 something and North adams barely gets by them. IMO the dragons of Fairland are much better than North Adams.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

It looks good to me, i mainly know about how many a team has lost, but don't know hows many wins they have. . . paper coverage is poor! I just dont haev the records of some teams that didnt make your list. The ones you have are good though. Im glad Federal Hocking dropped out, they weren't good enough to be in there last week, but WATERFORD are the real deal. They should be in the top 8. They have only lost 1 game that I know of but you dont have them listed.

-I Am What I Am
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Waterford NOT on the list is a mistake on my part ... I have them on paper just didn't make it to the puter LOL ... I'll fix that one ... they aren't top 8 material imo but they are on my Treehugger list ... sorry about that and thanks for pointing out my omission ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bucking red....that's not much of a basis....NA and West Union are HUGE rivals and border schools, that makes all the difference

Eastern Brown is not 5-3

I think they are 3-4 with a tough schedule...losses to very good team which would all be in your top 15 for sure in Georgetown, North Adams and Ripley

Looks good!

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Your always righ on top of things Ironman! :lol: good job

-I Am What I Am
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Waterford now exists LOL and Eastern Brown has been brought down to earth with a 3-4 record ... I believe I got the 5-3 out of one of the newspaper articles I read BUT I also had to go back through my schedule for Fairfield Union due to one article having FU with a 9-2 record rather than the 7-4 I had them for ... oh well it's always good to have "starting" numbers/records that people in the know can definitively say "that's not right " - I have no problem being "not right" as long as someone gives me the correct info ...

... everyones assistance is greatly appreciated - thanks

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

As always pfloyd you do an excellent job. Overall here is what the schedule up here in the vast "Northwest territory" looks like this week.

3-4 Westfall - @ Circleville, Wednesday and vs. Southeastern, Friday.
5-4 Circleville - vs. Westfall, Wednesday and @ Teays Valley, Saturday.
6-3 Logan Elm - @ Amanda, Saturday.
7-4 Fairfield Union - @ Hamilton Township, Saturday matinee.

This is an "off week" up here. A couple of good games but things fire up next week with Logan Elm, for example, taking on Bloom-Carroll and Columbus Westland. Circleville tangles with Hamilton Township and Columbus Academy and you can go on down the line.

We'll keep you up to date though we the napkin stats.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

b618... definitely keep us updated on that FU @ Hamilton Twp game ... looks to be THE game of the week in the Northwest Territories for the Week that IS ... and if you stay for Bingo get us all a couple "rip offs" LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Senator Tressel
Riding the Bench

Post by Senator Tressel »

pfloyd u have always done a great job. U were at the vc hunt. game fri and i no niether team is chilly or zville but u dropped the vikes to 4th witch i understand because na and fairlnd are undefeated. but vc will move back up a notch or maybe 2 cuz i dont think na or fairlnd can hang with vc. other than that u always do a superb job.

Gold.and.Green88
Freshman Team

Post by Gold.and.Green88 »

Why all the NA hating?! lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Senator ... dropping VC down to #4 wasn't easy for me to do but as you pointed out Fairland and North Adams are both undefeated AND good ball clubs (I've seen them both this season) ... you are also right about VC moving back up the list - all the pieces are there for Coach Combs ... imo as the PG position begins to be more of an offensive threat the Vikes will become very very good ... Andy Grillo showed flashes of what he can do - get to the rim off the dribble, he also knocked down the 3 at the end as well ... he needs to do more of that to draw defenders off of Eberts/Stewart/Prater/Guthrie ... once that happens and opponents see that in the scouting reports the old "drive/penetrate/dish" adage becomes a reality that will be difficult to stop for the opposition ... please don't take this as a knock on Andy Grillo - it just appears that he is playing not to make mistakes instead of just letting his natural abilities take over - Andy! pfloyd says "just do it!!!" LOL ... the kid is and will be a good one for VC ...

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Northwest is 5-4.

Teams who have beaten them are a combined 32-4.

North Adams-11-0(home)lost by 10
Piketon- 7-2(road)lost by 7
Wheelersburg- 6-2(road)lost by 13
South Point- 8-0(road)lost by 1

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The Vikings are 9-1, pfloyd.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

winchell ... I made the change in the Northwest record - thanks ...

... let's look at the teams Northwest HAS beaten ... a combined record of 9-30 ... so far the Mohawks have not beaten a team with a winning record ... their BEST wins so far are vs (4-5) Portsmouth (69-59) followed by a 1 point win over (2-5) Waverly (58-57) ... yes you have to win the games you are supposed to win (PHS? might have gotten away with one there/Notre Dame/Waverly/Clay/Webster- only a 48-45 win vs a 2-5 team) ... when the Mohawks start beating teams with winning records I'll obviously start moving them up the list ... the boyz have to get over the hump vs an upper level team ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...thanks Hawkeye - the magic wand has been waved and VC picks up another W ... 9-1 it is ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd- Hillsboro is now 3-6 after a 67-57 win over Whiteoak on Saturday I believe.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks daniC ... I couldn't find an article that gave me any records on HHS ... I'll add their record to the list so we have a starting point for 2008 ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”