Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #5

Post by 93Bulldog »

Every team/school should let Floyd in for free ... Just sayin.

:)

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

93Bulldog wrote:Every team/school should let Floyd in for free ... Just sayin.

right on 93dog any time Pfloyd wants to come to the nest to watch my eagles that ticket will be paid and waiting at the gate the time he takes to try to get to see all our teams our kids is just amazing to me and is deserving of a free ticket.

GO EAGLES
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:Every team/school should let Floyd in for free ... Just sayin.

Not sure if he gets in free at Unioto, but I know that there's a seat saved for him whenever he does, lol.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

pfloyd wrote:??? South Webster plays their home games on a bigger floor than Portsmouth East (newer school = bigger floor) ... imo as has been my opinion so far - East has a decided advantage at home on the smaller floor - gives their big an opportunity to be MORE involved at BOTH ends of the floor ... when on the road, the bigger floors takes SOME of that advantage away , not as big of factor ... and when the Tartans play teams that are good teams , on a bigger floor - they are playing the good teams "even up" with less of an advantage in the paint ... when East plays teams that they are decidedly better than - the small floor big floor factor is there due East winning all of the other areas of the game - talent/quickness/one on one vs the opponent/ East's best vs opponents best , etc ... South Webster (good team) vs East (better team with a BIG factor) + bigger floor ( negates some of the BIG factor) = (in this case) South Webster "W" ...

... East has to go on the road to play Portsmouth Clay (bigger floor) and Eastern Pike (bigger floor) ... 2 big tests to my theory ... prior to those 2 road games on bigger floors the Tartans will have 5 home games on the smaller court ... home games for East on the smaller floor = ALL of Easts components are having to be contended with/accounted for by the opposition - advantage East ... on the road/bigger floors = the BIG factor is less of factor - don't get me wrong East IS a very good team, especially when ALL of the players & ALL of their weapons have be accounted for ... "any" team when you play defense or offense you try to take away "something" from your opponent/ "negate" something (i.e. perimeter play & scoring, inside game, penetration by guards etc) - you have to win somewhere in the small battles/matchups in order to beat a quality team and win the war with a W ... as an outsider looking in East has to prove itself on the "BIG" floor vs an equally good opponent - that is the ??? that sticks in my mind week to week when evaluating East ...

Pfloyd,

With all due respect, you are wrong here. I know you weren't at the game, but it was pretty clear South Webster was the better "team." SEVERAL times South Webster was up 10-12 and on the verge of blowing East out, only to have silly turnovers to let East hang around.

I'm not saying the outcome would have been different in East's box of a gym, however, it was quite evident who the better "team" was.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

the jeeps are a better team then people think they will compete for the soc title "IMO"

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

biggdowgg wrote:the jeeps are a better team then people think they will compete for the soc title "IMO"
I'm not sure they can compete for the title as they've already lost too many SOC II games. However, I could see them upsetting a couple of the top tier teams to shake up the standings a bit. They only have 1 senior on the entire team, so next year they should definitely compete for the top spot. Their freshman is going to be a player.

As I said earlier, the SOC 2 is the best I've seen in several years. Many teams will be very, very tough outs come tournament time.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:the jeeps are a better team then people think they will compete for the soc title "IMO"
I'm not sure they can compete for the title as they've already lost too many SOC II games. However, I could see them upsetting a couple of the top tier teams to shake up the standings a bit. They only have 1 senior on the entire team, so next year they should definitely compete for the top spot. Their freshman is going to be a player.

As I said earlier, the SOC 2 is the best I've seen in several years. Many teams will be very, very tough outs come tournament time.
Yep...Webster lost some tough games early on (Oak Hill/Wheelersburg) that will keep them out of the SOC II picture. Even before then, I didn't see them competing with Minford or Valley. But the games I had circled on the Jeeps' schedule this year were East and Clay. These games will tell me whether the Jeeps have a good chance to get back to the Convo or not regardless of their regular season record (I see them finishing around 11-11). So far so good, although they'll have a tough sectional to get through first in a loaded Northwest sectional.*

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

This is the best the Soc 1 has been in awhile imo..and people want to run down this all D4 conference and compare to the Soc2. I do not understand it. There are 5 solid teams in the small division,very good for a small school conference imo. South Webster is a solid program that is in a big school conference,but they like it because it always prepares them for tournament play.That being said..pfloyd is right,Webster is not clearly better than East.That was a 1point game with 2min left @SW. That is a good loss.I belive East would beat the Jeeps 7 out of 10 times at home on the small floor and I believe Webster wins 7out of 10 on there floor.Huge home court advantage at East,maybe the biggest home court advantage in the area.As for the rest of the conference,they have done well so far..just a few examples..Eastern schedule may be the best D4 schedule around as they there record stands a very respectable 7-4...not going to mention all there games..just vs Soc2,but they have tough losses to a very good Valley team by only 1point and to Waverly in OT by 3,a win on the road over Oak Hill.East battled Webster to finish @SW and are 5-3 and Akia Brown is one of the best guards in this district. Notre Dame played the worse team in the big conference and blew them out as did Clay.Not impressive wins vs NWest,but Ndame is 7-1 and Clay 6-2 and have nice out of conference wins.Western is solid at 4-5 and can compete with these top4 teams on any given night.SValley,Green and NB are struggling but all could compete with West and Nwest,the bottom 2 in Soc2. I don't want to bash the Soc2 at all,I love HS BBall and will root for all Soc teams come tourney time..unless they play my Eagles of course,but don't get the disrespect to the Soc1 which is a good D4 conference.

JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

Post by JustPlayBasketball12 »

You said what I was thinking beaverlover ^ . 2nd half of SOC I games should be fun.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

bbjunky81 wrote:

thank you and you are correct I meant ro say next year ,esp since a couple of the big dogs will be losing some seniors

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

ma77ox wrote:Is Pfloyd gonna make it to Meigs/Vinton County Game?
This will be the game of the week for sure!!! Look forward to seeing what the outcome of this one will be. Meigs has to take care of business with NY and VC has Wellston and Logan at home over the weekend. The VC @ Logan contest was VC's toughest challenge of the season so far. Hoping both make to Tuesday undefeated. I think VC would be the favorite as of now but Meigs ALWAYS seem to play the Vikes close at home. This game will go a long way in determining the TVC championship.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81 wrote:
pfloyd wrote:
Pfloyd,

With all due respect, you are wrong here. I know you weren't at the game, but it was pretty clear South Webster was the better "team." SEVERAL times South Webster was up 10-12 and on the verge of blowing East out, only to have silly turnovers to let East hang around.

I'm not saying the outcome would have been different in East's box of a gym, however, it was quite evident who the better "team" was.

bbjunky81 - I may be totally wrong with my theory LOL ... that's why I will be watching the results of the East AT Clay and East AT Eastern Pike games very closely ... as I haven't seen South Webster - I couldn't write my "theory" from the slant that South Webster was the BETTER team to start with - didn't mean for it sound like I assumed that EAST was better than South Webster ... I was speaking more in general terms about the EAST ball club - for as good as they are they have an even bigger advantage at home on the smaller court ... while on the road that advantage - their Big able to be a factor at both ends because he can more easily transition from offense to defense or defense to offense - is not as big of a factor ... as you said South Webster may in fact be the better of the 2 teams - especially on that game night vs East @ South Webster ... since there is no game to be played between South Webster @ East my theory will have to stay that - just a theory LOL ...

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

beaverlover wrote:This is the best the Soc 1 has been in awhile imo..and people want to run down this all D4 conference and compare to the Soc2. I do not understand it. There are 5 solid teams in the small division,very good for a small school conference imo. South Webster is a solid program that is in a big school conference,but they like it because it always prepares them for tournament play.That being said..pfloyd is right,Webster is not clearly better than East.That was a 1point game with 2min left @SW. That is a good loss.I belive East would beat the Jeeps 7 out of 10 times at home on the small floor and I believe Webster wins 7out of 10 on there floor.Huge home court advantage at East,maybe the biggest home court advantage in the area.As for the rest of the conference,they have done well so far..just a few examples..Eastern schedule may be the best D4 schedule around as they there record stands a very respectable 7-4...not going to mention all there games..just vs Soc2,but they have tough losses to a very good Valley team by only 1point and to Waverly in OT by 3,a win on the road over Oak Hill.East battled Webster to finish @SW and are 5-3 and Akia Brown is one of the best guards in this district. Notre Dame played the worse team in the big conference and blew them out as did Clay.Not impressive wins vs NWest,but Ndame is 7-1 and Clay 6-2 and have nice out of conference wins.Western is solid at 4-5 and can compete with these top4 teams on any given night.SValley,Green and NB are struggling but all could compete with West and Nwest,the bottom 2 in Soc2. I don't want to bash the Soc2 at all,I love HS BBall and will root for all Soc teams come tourney time..unless they play my Eagles of course,but don't get the disrespect to the Soc1 which is a good D4 conference.

I never "ran down" the SOC I. I made the observation last week that I didn't feel all those teams were better than the middle of the SOC II teams and I still feel that way and I was somewhat vindicated with Webster winning Tuesday.

Of course the SOC II should be better. They are bigger schools. But I felt in Pfloyd's rankings that the SOC II teams being ranked lower was just not accurate.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Warren with a make-up game tonight against Beallsville.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote:Warren with a make-up game tonight against Beallsville.
... wow ! Whs95fan ! thanks I had no idea the Warriors were playing tonight ! ... please give us a final on this one if you can - is AT the WarriorDome ?

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

South Webster was the better team the other night. It only took a career game from their best player. What does the score look like if he scores at his average and not nearly 40? Kudos to him though, and shame on the East defense. I won't mention several factors that East was facing adversity-wise prior to the game even starting, because there are no excuses.

How can you definitively say that 1 team is better than another off of 1 game? I guess South Point is clearly better than Portsmouth...

This will settle itself in time, but I still believe the top 3-4 teams in the SOC I are better or as good as everyone in the SOC II minus Valley/ Minford.

While East has under impressed outside of their league games so far they have controlled the other top teams in their conference. The weird thing about that those other top league teams have done well out of conference.

East beat Notre Dame by 17 @ ND, look up ND's out of conference wins.
East beat Clay by 14, look at Clays out of conference wins. East beat Eastern by 19, look at Eastern's resume. East beat Western at Western, they have played very respectably outside of the league.

The D-IV tournament will be really good this year.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Eastern pike is every bit as good as Valley and Minford.

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

I think statements like that EPN cost some credibility. No, they are not. On a good night (as they have proved) they can play with Valley, but not over the course of the season.

I think there are about 10-15 really good teams in the district. The next tier has about 20 or so teams capable of beating each other.

It takes a special kind of resolve to go through a season with less than 3 losses. I think that the SOC only has 2 teams capable of that and we're not halfway home. I do feel that a few teams will finish with 4-7 losses, which is pretty good. I think that Valley, Minford, and South Webster are the only true District title contenders in SOC II. I think that Clay, Eastern, East, and Notre Dame are threats in D-IV.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Warren 101
Beallsville 41

Starters basically played the 1st quarter and off and on thru rest of game with jv and second teamers. On a good note Seth Hall played, on a down note Kyler Dennis was out.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

warrior90 ... is Kyler Dennis out with an injury ????? wow ... hard to be consistent with a revolving door of injuries to various players especially at the PG/Shooting guard positions ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”