Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
FIDO
S

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by FIDO »

danicalifornia wrote:
FIDO wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Senior Cole Cottrill was intentionally fouled tonight and broke both wrists on the fall.
Horrible!! Best wishes to the young man.
Hopefully he can get in quickly tonight. I'm not even sure it was a dirty play.

Regardless, it is unfortunate and horrible for the senior...hopefully it isn't as bad as originally thought.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

A couple "upsets" tonight.

#7 Fairland beat #5 Peake by 10+
#20 Minford beat #6 Valley by 2. Valley was down 21-10 after 1, and couldn't get all the way back. Missed a 3 at buzzer to win.

#6 Valley vs #5 Peake tomorrow night at 6:45, great bounce back game for both. Gotta forget the L's real quick.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

The injury to uniotos cottrill could be devastating to this team. The play was a 2 on 1 fast break alley oop. To intentionally push a kid when he's in the air like that is disgraceful. The flagrant foul that was called wasn't enough of a punishment . And this wasn't the only flagrant foul called on Zane trace tonight. The officials had no control of this game whatsoever this game is called basketball, not football or rugby. Luckily no one else was hurt in this game. And Zane traces coach should learn to coach instead of complaining non stop.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I HATE TO READ THIS !!!! any player getting hurt in a game bothers me ... in a game that was ALL Shermans ... my thoughts and prayers go out to Cole & the Unioto TEAM ... sure changes the complexion of the SVC race and the post season - all in the name of not wanting to give up a dunk ... I won't say anymore ... hoping for the best for Cole Cottrill & the Unioto family ... Coach Hoops preaches TEAM ... TEAM Shermans WILL take care of business as a TEAM ... best of luck to UHS ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Both wrists are broken for Cottrill. He had been playing unbelievable on both ends for the Shermans. It's a devastating injury for a senior, but it definitely won't be the end of his basketball career.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

danicalifornia wrote:Both wrists are broken for Cottrill. He had been playing unbelievable on both ends for the Shermans. It's a devastating injury for a senior, but it definitely won't be the end of his basketball career.
Prayers for this young man.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

danicalifornia wrote:Both wrists are broken for Cottrill. He had been playing unbelievable on both ends for the Shermans. It's a devastating injury for a senior, but it definitely won't be the end of his basketball career.
That is very unfortunate to hear! He's a great player.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The game ended up being fairly inconsequential after the injury. The Shermans rallied and led 44-17 at the half. Cole spoke with the team before he left for the hospital.

Erique Hosley led the Shermans with 16, all in the first half. Unioto takes on Huntington tomorrow night.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

pfloyd wrote:I can't NOT put the Dancing Purple Hippo at the end of my posts 93dog !!! I've had the Purple Hippo for 15 years !!! LOL ...sorry

On a basketball note ... Here are the best of the best players I've seen this season on the teams I have "seen" so far ... they ARE NOT in any order :

Collin Woodside (Fairfield Union post player)
Logan Swackhammer, Cole Cottrill, Brandan Kennedy, Erique Hosley (Unioto - just a complete team)
Mason Chapman (Alexander)
Randy Hixon/Justice Jenkins (Trimble)
Brandon Rowe/Trey Kelly (Minford)
Gage Rhoades/Brad Meadows (Chesapeake)
Bryan Rolfe/Blake Howard (Lucasville Valley)
Gunner Short/Isaiah Howell (Fairland)
Lane Little/Isaiah Smith/Cole Barron(one of the best defensive players I have seen this season)(Logan)
Kyler Dennis/Seth Hall (Warren)
Marcus Day (Eastern Brown)
Ky're Allison/ Kendall Reynolds(Portsmouth)
Johnathan Thomas (Adena)
Max Knisley/Cameron Eckles (Washington CH)
Tristan Bartoe/Jordan Albright (Vinton Co)
Ridge Young (Logan Elm)
Corey Wyman/Hayden Mink (Westfall)
Akia Brown (Portsmouth East)
Cameron King/Cole Gilliland (Portsmouth Clay)
Dylan Swingle/Anthony McFadden (Paint Valley)
Pierce Mowery (Zane Trace)
Michael Camp (Circleville)
I'd throw Trevon Turner (Notre Dame) in the mix Pfloyd, if you get a chance to catch a game, he doesn't disappoint. He's avg 20/6/6 a night. His last 3 games have been 18, 28, and 21 points. Great ballplayer and would start on any team with his skills.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Miss the hippo but certainly appreciate pfloyd dropping off some well received and almost unsolicited treats at last night's Meigs-Alex game. Still waiting for his expert napkin stat analysis of the game. It was intense in the Alley to say the least, even impressing world traveling print media guy (and Miller athletics legend) Arkley. Thanks, pfloyd.

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

I would have to say on player of the year no particular order, Lutz,Mowery,Bartoe, Jones,Little, Young don't no his name number 3 from rivervalley,John Thomas and Mason Chapman

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth- 69
Gallia Academy- 64

Trojans pick up a tough win the game was back and forth to the end it is always a tough game at gallia , Kyree Allison finised with 19 and a big time dunk along with another two handed slam. Kendal Reynolds continued to do what he does with 19 points and some big rebounds late ,Mike Malone is now back with the team and came off the bench to hit two 3 balls the team is playing well defense let up a ew times but played well over all sophmore Reese Johnson has proven he is good enough to fit into the starting rotation with his defense but can also shoot the ball very well ,we have all talked and like hs game he makes very few mistakes even as a sophmore....yeley , Jordan,Rodbell and the rest have all accepted their roles and everyone is a big part of this team coach collins and his staff has these kids playing as a team.

the trojans will take on the Indians of peebles tonight.

Kyree Allison is somewhere around 75 points from breaking Portsmouth all time scorer.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Add Minford's win over Valley to the 'lets make Pfloyds world difficult' list. lol

Trimble beat Minford by 20 - but only loss of the season was to Valley. Alexander's win over Minford is a nice resume builder, so was the win over Warren and Meigs - but the Spartans were handled by Athens. Warren loses at Alexander, drills Athens a few days later, but Athens beats Alexander by 15 a few days after that. Did I mention Alexander lost to Chesapeake, who lost to Fairland? lol

On a side note, Trimble's overtime win over (8-2) Waterford was huge. For league purposes AND tournament seeding. Great game in Glouster - as I was impressed with Waterford. They run 9 deep and by the end of the game you'll have no idea who the starters are. They all seem equal - and all but one are underclassmen. They are preseason top 8 material for 2016/2017 for sure.

And don't lose sight of South Gallia. They are (10-2) and only losses were @ Waterford 59-65 and @ Belpre, who they handled by 13 last night in Mercerville.

Last comment. Trimble deserves a spot back in the Elite 8 this week. Just sayin.

:)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

While they are going to be an obviously different team without Cole Cottrill (led team in scoring, 3s, assists, steals, shot 50-41-77), I'm excited to see how they respond tonight. They will dress 10 and really any of the other 6 guys could step in and help make up for some of the production lost. Gabe Fisher and Peyton Hill combined for 15 pts, 10 rebs off the bench last night, while Casey White and Sawyer Lovely can stretch defenses, and Clay Edler can lock down opponents defensively. It will be interesting to see what Coach Hoops goes with tonight.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Otherwise, I don't envy you in this coming week pfloyd. I think Washington helped solidify their ranking with an impressive win over Chillicothe.

I think that the Vinton and Meigs game on Tuesday will be a fun ballgame. Could be a lot of points on the board that night!

Good wins by Alexander, Fairland, Logan, Miami Trace, Eastern Pike and Minford.

North Adams takes down Lynchburg.

And we are down to 1 undefeated after going into last night with 4.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Alexander 80
Meigs 69 a final

... great game at the Alley last night between 2 equally good basketball teams ... the first 2 quarters between the Alexander Spartans and the Meigs Marauders was like 2 boxers going back and forth ... Alexander's Mason Chapman (19 pts/5 triples in the FIRST HALF)/Cory Chapman (7 pts) providing the blows for the Spartans ALONG with Chase Harris (8 pts) off the bench ALL in the first half ... just as in any fight the opponent counters with punches of his own Meigs wasn't 11-0 entering this TVC matchup without having good combinations of it's own the Maroon & White Marauders answered with Christian Mattox (7 pts/1 triple) /Colton Lilly (8 pts) / Kaileb Sheets (10pts /2 triples) ... the napkin stats were close across the board :

Score at Intermission
Alexander 36
Meigs 33

First Half Napkin Stats

Points Scored:
Alexander 21 .... 36
Meigs 20 ......... 33 at the half

3 pointers:
Alexander 4/7 ... 5/13
Meigs 4/7 ......... 4/11 at the half

TO's:
Alexander 5 ..... 8
Meigs 2 ........... 6 at the half

FT's :
Alexander 3/3 ... 5/6
Meigs 0/5 ......... 3/9 at the half

... period number 3 had the same punch/counterpunch formula as both teams played solid D ... matching fg's ... from my mid court cheap seat location the points on the scoreboard were the same yet there was a big difference on the court as to HOW/WHO was scoring the points it appeared that Alexander had gone from relying on the outside shot to relying MORE on the BIGS in the paint Weaver/Cory Chapman/Chase Harris took control of the game in the paint offensively - Meigs had no inside answer for the BIGS of AHS imo ... throw in the poor foul shooting by MHS the entire game it was just a matter of time before Alexander got separation ... Alexander 52 Meigs 50 end of 3 ... in the final quarter the separation for Alexander came in the presence of Seth Richardson (7 points in the 4th with a BIG three ball) ... Mason Chapman (8/8 from the FT line in the 4th) ... the 3 BIGS inside accounted for 10 final quarter points - Cory Chapman/Chase Harris/Jake Weaver ... outscoring Meigs 28-19 in the 4th period with the combination of inside/outside scoring along with going 12/15 from the line ... Alexander 80 Meigs 69 a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Meigs ...

Scoring ... Kaileb Sheets 19, Christian Mattox 15, Colton Lilly 13, Luke Musser 10, Jared Kennedy 7, Dillon Mahr 3, Jaxon Meadows 2

3 Pointers ... 9/24 ... Kaileb Sheets 4, Luke Musser 2, Dillon Mahr 1, Colton Lilly 1, Christian Mattox 1

FT's ... 6/16

TOs ... 14 ... 5 in the 4th quarter ...

... Meigs is a very nice team ... last night 4 players were in double figure scoring with the potential for 5 in dbl figures on any given night ... 5 players who can legitimately knockdown the 3 ball ... MHS can bury you on the offensive end ... last night Meigs went all zone in the half court while trapping 3/4 court and out of their 1/2 court zone ... the pressure kept Meigs close in the first 3 qtrs as MHS scored 5 transition baskets to go with their 9 triples ... I was impressed with Meigs' ability to hit the boards - they aren't a tall team but are quick off the floor - everyone crashes the boards ... undersized and not a physical size (at least not in the same category as Alexander strength wise inside) ... in the end the Marauder inability to match the Spartan size/strength down low, poor FT shooting were the differences in this matchup ... it will be interesting to see the REMATCH at Meigs ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Alexander ...

Scoring ... Mason Chapman 28, Chase Harris 16, Cory Chapman 13, Seth Richardson 9, Jake Weaver 6, Kyle Howard 5, Michael Norris 3

3 Pointers ... 7/19 ... Mason Chapman 6, Seth Richardson 1

FT's ... 21/27 ... 12/15 in the 4th period ... Mason Chapman 10/11 at the line for the game

TO's ...12 ... only 4 in the 2nd half ...

... I've seen Alexander 3 times this season ... there has been one NORM in all 3 games ... Alexander IS a physical ball club - not in a dirty way at all ! they put a body on you, they muscle you out of positions on the floor you as the opponent are trying to get to - it's called DEFENSE ... as I posted last night's game came down to AHS matching the perimeter scoring of Meigs (or at least to the point that Alex wasn't matching Meigs 3 pointers with only 2 pointers of their own) - they did that effectively ... Alexander IF they could negate the perimeter advantage that Meigs came into the game with had a chance to get a W , they also had to win at least another offensive category - they ended up winning 2 other offensive categories : Inside scoring ( AHS BIGS of Cory Chapman/Jake Weaver/Chase Harris combined for 35 points in the paint vs 16 for Meigs) and FT scoring (AHS 12/15 while Meigs 6/16) ... that's how you win going away 80-69 ... Alexander is definitely back in the hunt in the TVC ...

...on a side note : Great to see Lou Horvath - the game announcer for Alexander but us hs hoops junkies know Lou as THE VOICE of high school Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line AND Basketball 30 at the Convo ... I thought I was at an Athens home game last night as there was a whole section "reserved" for the folks from Athens (ok it wasn't reserved but they owned the section going 10-12 strong LOL) ... always good to see Coach Skinner & his staff along with the other Athens folks ... I got to give a thumbs up to Mason Chapman's dad at the end of the game - I've posted it before and I'll post again I'm totally a Mason Chapman fan - the young man is outstanding ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

js7_22 ... wish Portsmouth Notre Dame played some games in my neck of the woods so I would be able to see them - the Titians obviously have a quality team with a number of good players as well AND they are ALL juniors !!! except for 1 senior

Isiah Johnson .................. JR
Sam Kayser ..................... JR
Trevon Turner................... JR
Chase Rodriguez ............ SR
Aaron Bazler....................JR
Taylor Pack ...................... JR
Hattachai Buttayotee......JR
Grant Sparks ................... JR

... I've read good things about both of these players for ND ...

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

pfloyd,
Notre dame at eastern pike, 1st week of February , not sure exact date, would b a good time to make a trip to beaver .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

EPN wrote:pfloyd,
Notre dame at eastern pike, 1st week of February , not sure exact date, would b a good time to make a trip to beaver .
February 12th ... there's a little game in the SEOAL Warren entertaining my Logan Purple that night - possibly for a league championship ... thanks for the heads up on this though EPN !

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Oh yes, Logan vs warren , that will b a great game . Don't blame u at all for being in the gym for that one.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”