Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Post by pfloyd »

... From the Vinton vs Unioto thread ... it touched a nerve...
winningaintcheap wrote:I'm embarrassed to be a Unioto fan right now. We were all just witness to ...

... seriously ??????? 49-3 in the last 2 years and YOU are embarrassed to be a Unioto fan ???? I'm proud to have been an Unofficial Sherman fan for the last 2 years ...not only for the "product" that was on the court every night BUT as a fan of "quality programs" in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... Coach Hoops AND his ENTIRE staff are outstanding ! NO ONE has this kind of success (49-3) in a quality league as the SVC vs quality opponents without having coaches/program/ a system that works ... I have been allowed by Coach Hoops to share some of the off court "extracurriculars" that he/his family does with HIS program - the entire program is a "family" - the kids on the TEAM grow as young men because of the wholistic organization of the program ... embarrassed ?!!! ... because the TEAM didn't play as well as they have shown they can in the past ? because the opponent (VC) did exactly what THEY needed to exploit - even before the CC injury - what imo WAS a weakness or an area that was not a strong suit for UHS ... as an opponent when putting together a defensive strategy one tries to limit the strengths/exploit a weak area - I had in the past texted Coach Hoops and said "I would like to see UHS go up against a team which applies on ball pressure - I thought that THAT was an area to attack" prior to last nights game I told daniC that UHS was a team that you could force the ball into other players hands and make others -those not used to making decisions with the ball - make decisions/make the passes ... I thought VC did this as well as anyone this season - with the decided advantage in the paint UHS forced passes into the post trying to take advantage of their BIGS , many of which resulted in turnovers ... bottomline is that MUCH of last nights UHS performance on the courts was due to Vinton County ... the Vikings - when they had ALL 3 BIGS - Wood/McIntire /Caudell paired with Jones/Albright/Yates and Tristan Bartoe directing the "orchestra" the Vikings were the 2nd MOST COMPLETE TEAM right behind Unioto in SEOhio ... this is the "one & done" season ... a team as good as Unioto WILL lose and did IF they have 17 TOs vs a team as good as Vinton County ... Unioto players/coaches/fans have NOTHING to be embarrassed about !

... as I said , I spoke with daniC prior to the game - he told me that Cole Cottrill had been cleared to play ... I got chills thinking that this young man whose senior season was cut short by an injury was getting the chance "to play one more time , one more game" WITH his TEAM ... the players who played "not to lose" in the post season - an added stress - THEY were playing each game to win not just to advance in the tournament - this TEAM played to win so they could get that one more game ... one more week so their "heart & sole" Cole Cottrill could get out on the court with THEM ! with TEAM ... I was smiling from the time daniC told me to the end of the game ... embarrassed as a Unioto fan !!!???? - this scenario of a group of kids, putting it on their shoulders to come together as a group to not only extend the season so CC could get back ... they learned that having played together as a TEAM , winning as a TEAM, meant MORE than just "playing a game" - they were "playing a game(s)" to give a teammate what HE wanted more than anything - to be out on a court again WITH THEM, win or lose it would be WITH THEM ... learning that there is more to life than "a game" ... working so hard for someone else's dream that of being WITH THEM ... embarrassed ???!!! every Unioto fan , EVERY fan of high school basketball should WISH that their own kids could play for a program for a group of coaches who instill such traits in their kids ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:... From the Vinton vs Unioto thread ... it touched a nerve...
winningaintcheap wrote:I'm embarrassed to be a Unioto fan right now. We were all just witness to ...

... seriously ??????? 49-3 in the last 2 years and YOU are embarrassed to be a Unioto fan ???? I'm proud to have been an Unofficial Sherman fan for the last 2 years ...not only for the "product" that was on the court every night BUT as a fan of "quality programs" in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... Coach Hoops AND his ENTIRE staff are outstanding ! NO ONE has this kind of success (49-3) in a quality league as the SVC vs quality opponents without having coaches/program/ a system that works ... I have been allowed by Coach Hoops to share some of the off court "extracurriculars" that he/his family does with HIS program - the entire program is a "family" - the kids on the TEAM grow as young men because of the wholistic organization of the program ... embarrassed ?!!! ... because the TEAM didn't play as well as they have shown they can in the past ? because the opponent (VC) did exactly what THEY needed to exploit - even before the CC injury - what imo WAS a weakness or an area that was not a strong suit for UHS ... as an opponent when putting together a defensive strategy one tries to limit the strengths/exploit a weak area - I had in the past texted Coach Hoops and said "I would like to see UHS go up against a team which applies on ball pressure - I thought that THAT was an area to attack" prior to last nights game I told daniC that UHS was a team that you could force the ball into other players hands and make others -those not used to making decisions with the ball - make decisions/make the passes ... I thought VC did this as well as anyone this season - with the decided advantage in the paint UHS forced passes into the post trying to take advantage of their BIGS , many of which resulted in turnovers ... bottomline is that MUCH of last nights UHS performance on the courts was due to Vinton County ... the Vikings - when they had ALL 3 BIGS - Wood/McIntire /Caudell paired with Jones/Albright/Yates and Tristan Bartoe directing the "orchestra" the Vikings were the 2nd MOST COMPLETE TEAM right behind Unioto in SEOhio ... this is the "one & done" season ... a team as good as Unioto WILL lose and did IF they have 17 TOs vs a team as good as Vinton County ... Unioto players/coaches/fans have NOTHING to be embarrassed about !

... as I said , I spoke with daniC prior to the game - he told me that Cole Cottrill had been cleared to play ... I got chills thinking that this young man whose senior season was cut short by an injury was getting the chance "to play one more time , one more game" WITH his TEAM ... the players who played "not to lose" in the post season - an added stress - THEY were playing each game to win not just to advance in the tournament - this TEAM played to win so they could get that one more game ... one more week so their "heart & sole" Cole Cottrill could get out on the court with THEM ! with TEAM ... I was smiling from the time daniC told me to the end of the game ... embarrassed as a Unioto fan !!!???? - this scenario of a group of kids, putting it on their shoulders to come together as a group to not only extend the season so CC could get back ... they learned that having played together as a TEAM , winning as a TEAM, meant MORE than just "playing a game" - they were "playing a game(s)" to give a teammate what HE wanted more than anything - to be out on a court again WITH THEM, win or lose it would be WITH THEM ... learning that there is more to life than "a game" ... working so hard for someone else's dream that of being WITH THEM ... embarrassed ???!!! every Unioto fan , EVERY fan of high school basketball should WISH that their own kids could play for a program for a group of coaches who instill such traits in their kids ...

Well said. Coach Hoops and his staff do an outstanding job. I've enjoyed watching that team over the last couple of years when I've gotten the opportunity. Hopefully those kids win in life as much as they won together on the court.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

The parallels in the season Unioto put together and the season Ohio State Football just played are astonishing.

Enter the season with expectations through the roof - check.
Casually make your way through the regular season - check.
Lose to your fake "rival" to end hopes of an undefeated season - check.
Play a game and lose where NOTHING has gone as it has in the past. Where everything from the open tip seemed off. Watch your kids who have played with an absurd amount of heart and pride through injuries, close games, and challenges play almost emotionless down the stretch in the tournament. - check.
Hear multiple accounts of kids saying they've been told not to be to assertive on offense (Ezekiel Elliott) - check.

Tell me, if you were an Ohio state fan that watched Michigan State get completely obliterated by Alabama, did you feel like you could have done a little better? That maybe your team was actually supposed to be there?

I'm not knocking on the program, the body of work, or the last two seasons. I, like many who left the convo, were pissed off at how the 32 minutes played out for Unioto. In Walnut Ridge style, VC cut a slow bleeding wound to end unioto's season for the fans to watch waste away. Matt Hoops is beloved and nobody will ever say a bad word about him, but Unioto basketball dictates tempo and controls outcomes. Friday night there was no Unioto Basketball being played. Nothing. A team that once had a Westfall team down 23-4 in the first was up 1-0 after 4 minutes to VC? Something was off that night. Something was wrong. The players showed it, the score showed it, and the way the game was played showed it.

Unioto went 26-1 last season. Unioto came out in their press 27 games last season. Unioto played their press for about 4 minutes against VC. Forcing them into a panic multiple times. Fixing what wasn't broken led to quite a downfall. With the exception of MT at Unioto, every game was unfamiliar water for Unioto. A 3 point win at SE. NEVER SCORING MORE THAN 50 IN THE TOURNAMENT. This team averages close to 70 PPG. In those 32 minutes Unioto basketball was not played. In those 32 minutes everybody in purple and gold was equally confused and angry at what was happening.

Coach Hoops is one of my favorite people. I've watched him coach games start to finish with absolute mastery. Which is why I am unsure where the result came from Friday night. Examples: Piketon at Unioto 2012. Unioto vs. Warren 2013.

This program is the love story of the community. I'm not talking about the program. I'm talking about the 32 mystery minutes at Ohio University Friday night.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

jottings wrote:OVC defeated South Gallia 58-41 tonight before a packed house and claimed the undisputed Gallia County championship for 2016. (The Rebels beat GAHS 60-59 in an OT earlier this season.
your information is wrong. no respect for south Gallia pfloyd that ranking is ludacris

Galliaguy
Riding the Bench

Post by Galliaguy »

Yes, I'd have to agree....hello

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

winningaintcheap wrote:

The parallels in the season Unioto put together and the season Ohio State Football just played are astonishing.

Enter the season with expectations through the roof - check.
Casually make your way through the regular season - check.
Lose to your fake "rival" to end hopes of an undefeated season - check.
Play a game and lose where NOTHING has gone as it has in the past. Where everything from the open tip seemed off. Watch your kids who have played with an absurd amount of heart and pride through injuries, close games, and challenges play almost emotionless down the stretch in the tournament. - check.
Hear multiple accounts of kids saying they've been told not to be to assertive on offense (Ezekiel Elliott) - check.

This program is the love story of the community. I'm not talking about the program. I'm talking about the 32 mystery minutes at Ohio University Friday night.
I absolutely love the Ohio State analogy. As a fan, I can see that.

However, and a big however, you missing one thing. You are summarily dismissing Vinton County. There is reason why Vinton County is 20-4. There is a reason why Unioto was unable to press Vinton County. There is a reason why Vinton County came back to win. My friend, it did not have much to do with Unioto as much as it had to with Vinton County. It is not like they lost to the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Vinton County was able to force 17 turnovers while only committing 7, close the rebound gap in the second half, and hit their free-throws down the stretch. I know that you may find this hard to believe, but if Vinton County had shot better than the 25% they did, it could have been easily a ten point game for Vinton County.

I am sure that if you had asked Coach Hoops he will tell you, that Vinton County is a very good basketball team, that is well-rounded in all aspects, and they are extremely well-coached.

Hopefully, this helps you take some of the mystery out of it.

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Hawkeye...

What Vinton County was able to do to control aspects of that game was remarkable. It's important to not take away credit from Coach Combs and his kids because they did everything they needed to in order to win. My viewpoint is just that Unioto seemed to have tried something that wasn't fitting for their style and talent. To me, it looked like Unioto wanted to play a half court game. A move that is very unnatural of a Matt Hoops basketball team. Their execution in the half court was bad at best.

Yes, this game could have been ugly had VC shot better than 25%. But this game could've also been a runaway for Unioto had they played their usual role and forced takeaways instead of giving the ball up 17 times. I mean, Logan Swackhammer set the single game record with 14 assists in a game less than a month ago. I'm not sure why Unioto didn't come to play, but it's heartbreaking because I feel as though this has been their best team since Combs himself played.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Back in the 80,s many Portsmouth supporters felt the same way Unioto fans feel about the game on Friday night. It is all about the moment in one and done seasons, ask Kentucky fans, that one night when it doesn't fall your way, the calls don't go your way, the ball bounces in the opposite direction.Its a fickle game we love, but it comes down to the fact, there can only be one champion, upset...maybe,but that's how it goes..........Ill never forget the feelings of leaving the convo after the 79 loss to Itonton, but Ill also never forget the State title of 78, and being undeafted and number one in the state threw the 79 year..........Unioto had a fantastic season, it was a disappointing finish, but most are in the end

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 4 of my top 5 teams are playing in their respective District Finals in D2 and/or D3 ... while 8 of my top 15 teams are still in district play ... I feel good about those numbers with the final round of D4's going in the district semi's tonight ...

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

For those who may be interested, Beau Justice and the West Liberty Hill toppers finished their regular season at 26-2. They start D2 NCAA tourney Friday @600. Blake Justice finished his senior season at Valdosya State University in Georgia as a 1000 point scorer,steal leader and second in assists with 66 this year and about 16 points per game. He was named to the first team all conference team. Congrats to both on fine years. You can see all their stats on the teams website.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Waterford 69
Beaver Eastern 57 final

... D4 nightcap on Monday evening ... one of the games between 2 teams I didn't have the pleasure to see during the regular season - my loss as I found both teams to be well coached Simms (WHS) & Barrick (Eastern) ... I thought Eastern was very disciplined at both ends ... offensively not as explosive as Waterford - EHS returns 4/5 starters next season 2 years under Barrick will have the Eagles that much better ... Waterford controlled the game from the outset leading at all stops 14-9 , 32-24 , 54-46 Eastern did tie the game at 46-46 ... EHS outscored WHS 22-14 in the 3rd before Waterford closed out the quarter 8-0 led by junior Jordan Welch's 8 point to end the quarter 2 treys sandwiched around a deuce ... the 4th period had Jordan putting the nail in the Eagles coffin by hitting back to back to back threes to help Waterford get separation that was too much for Eastern to overcome ... Waterford 69 Beaver Eastern 57 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Beaver Eastern

Scoring ... Clay Martin 16, Ethan Leist 12, Evan Leist 10, Tyler Hale 8, Ben Hessen 8, Willis Wells 2, Gabe Gambill 1

3-pointers ... 4/11 ... Clay Martin 3, Ethan Leist 1

FT's ... 7/15

TO's ... 11

... Coach Barrick has done an excellent job - no surprise right - with the Eastern "Program" ... Evan Leist is an excellent PG , heady , makes good basketball decision with the ball, you can tell he's had a ball in his hands "a lot" AND ONLY A FRESHMAN ... the junior returnees will be another year older/physically next season - Ethan Leist, Clay Martin, Quentin Alley, Tyler Hale ... sophomore Gabe Campbell ... good things to come next season for this group ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Beaver Eastern

Scoring ... Jordan Welch 23, Bryce Hilverding 17, Issac Huffman 7, Wyatt Lang 7, Tyler Mccutcheon 5, Cody Harris 4, Andrew Theiman 4, Riley Burns 2

3-pointers ... 10/16 ... Jordan Welch 5, Bryce Hilverding 3, Issac Huffman 1, Tyler Mccutchen 1

FT's ... 9/11

TO's ... 14

... as 93dog pointed out on another thread Waterford as a TEAM showed the least amount of "getting used to the shooting backdrop" of the CONVO hitting 2 of their game high 10 triples in the opening period ... 4/5 starters found the bottom of the net in the first quarter as well ... Waterford has size, inside outside scoring - what's NOT to like !?! ... the only weak area I could see is on the ball handling part of the game with a tendency to turn the ball over ... 9/10 players who saw action last night are returning for the 2016-17 season 100% of last scoring returns next season ... Waterford won't be starting out of the top 20 in the preseason poll next season - very nice ball club ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Trimble 68
Portsmouth Clay 65 OT a final

... Tipping off the D4 menu Monday night was Trimble vs Portsmouth Clay ... one of the better games in district action, the only game to go into overtime to determine who moved on and who went home ... the opening period saw both teams turn each over a total of 10 times (Trimble 6/Clay 4) ... the Tomcats Big 2 - Justice Jenkins & Bryce Guthrie - flexed their muscles with Jenkins (7 pts) /Guthrie (7 pts) ... Clay answered with Cole Gilliland's 5 pts for the Panthers - all 5 starters put points in the scorebook in the 1st for Clay ... Trimble 18 Clay 12 end of 1 ... in the 2nd Trimble seemed happy to take the perimeter shot as they finished the 2nd only 1/5 in the 2nd / 2/12 from behind the arc in the first half ... the Tomcat duo of Jenkins/Guthrie continued to take the bulk of the shots on goal as they contributed 7 points between them in the 2nd ... Clay continued to spread the wealth Gilliland (4)/Cameron King (6)/ Anthony Williams (6)/ Nate Hinz (2) ... the Panthers took the lead into halftime Portsmouth Clay 30 Trimble 28 after two ... Portsmouth Clay continued to keep Trimble at arms length in the 3rd by adding to their halftime lead even when Trimble turned up the heat defensively (THS turned over Clay 7 times in the 3rd) ... Trimble shooting guard Randy Hixon got involved in offense hitting a triple (5 points in the qtr) ...Clay was led by Nate Hinz 2 treys (6) Brody Riffe added 4 points ... Portsmouth Clay 45 Trimble 40 end of 3 ... the final quarter of regulation saw Trimble continue to turn up the defensive pressure as Trimble had 5 more TOs in the 4th (12 in the 2nd half of regulation) a 2nd adjustment in the 4th was Trimble taking the ball inside the paint which had the Tomcats getting the line (6/8) ... Cody Jones added 7 pts in the 4th with Randy Hixon hitting a big 3 ball down the stretch ... as the Panthers did the whole game balanced scoring across the board led by Hinz 5 points ... regulation ended with a Gilliland falling away baseline as time ran out ... Trimble 59 Portsmouth Clay 59 end of regulation ... OT saw the only Panther to score was Cole Gilliland (6 points) while Trimble ended up being the balanced scoring team with Hixon 2/ Jenkins 3/ Guthrie 2/ Kameron Curry 2 ... Trimble 68 Portsmouth Clay 65 OT final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Portsmouth Clay ...

Scoring ... Cole Gilliland 21, Cameron King 14, Nate Hinz 13, Anthony Williams 10, Brody Riffe 7

3-Pointers ... 6/14 ... Nate Hinz 3, Cole Gilliland 2, Cameron King 1

FT's ... 5/9

TOs ... 16

... the Portsmouth Clay Panthers have been solid all year ... the first 7 players all return for CHS ... Cole Gilliland not only had 21 points but picked up the double double with 18 rebounds - a solid inside/outside player for the Panthers ... Cameron King a very good PG will get nothing but better for the 2016 campaign add to the mix the role players Nate Hinz/Brody Riffe/Anthony Williams ... Panther Country will be pushing to get back to the Convo next year as well ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Trimble ...

Scoring ... Justice Jenkins 20, Bryce Guthrie 20, Randy Hixon 10, Cody Jones 7, Kameron Curry 5, Tyler Slack 4, Tyler Sayre 2

3-Pointers ... 5/16 ... Justice Jenkins 3, Randy Hixon 2

FT's ... 11/16

TO's ... 17

... Trimble vs Waterford - should be a great game Saturday afternoon ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

1906 wrote: no respect for south Gallia pfloyd that ranking is ludacris
Galliaguy wrote:Yes, I'd have to agree....hello

...Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition...

1. Unioto (21-1)

2. Fairland (18-4)

3. Fairfield Union (18-4)

4. Lucasville Valley (17-3)

5. Vinton County (17-4)

6. Logan Elm (17-5)

7. Washington CH (16-6)

8. Chillicothe (12-10)/ Portsmouth (14-7)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

Minford (17-4)
Warren (17-5)
Logan (12-10)
Lynchburg Clay (19-2)
Chesapeake (16-6)
Trimble (18-3)
15 Miami Trace (14-8)

Alexander (17-5)
Zane Trace (15-7)
Peebles (16-6)
Wheelersburg (14-5)
20 Meigs (17-4)

Portsmouth East (17-4)
Westfall (13-8)
Waterford (17-4)
Adena (14-7)
25 North Adams (15-7)

Eastern Brown (15-7)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (17-5)
Sheridan (13-8)
Marietta (9-13)
30 Eastern Pike (15-7)

Portsmouth Clay (16-5)
Ironton (11-10)
Western Pike (10-12)
South Gallia (17-5)

35 Athens (11-9)

... Western Pike at #33 followed closely by South Gallia at #34 is about right as tonight's result showed they are very closely ranked as they should be...

Western Pike 47
South Gallia 45
final

Ballboy09
Riding the Bench

Post by Ballboy09 »

Pfloyd,

I cannot find the Lynchburg-Clay vs. Wheelersburg Napkin Stats. Tell me they are out there somewhere!

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

I saw you recognized the game PFloyd but do we have any napkin stats for the Western/South Gallia game?

Ballboy09
Riding the Bench

Post by Ballboy09 »

Pfloyd,

Just got home from Jim's Gym for the LC vs. Ridgewood game. What a haul! Just under 2 hours through Roundtown and Court House. Ridgewood is a pretty darn good team. They were lights out from the field.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Lynchburg clay and wilmington both to the final four. Congrats,Im going next week.

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

The SHAC gets one to the Final Four.congrats to the Lynchburg Clay Mustangs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to the Lynchburg Clay Mustangs - on to the final 4 !!! I've been down for the count since last Friday , unable to go to the Convo for the district finals or regional games BUT I have watched John Glenn's games on the internet while listening to LC's games via C103 ... great games to listen to - many household names now for LC in Joe Giordano, Zach Blankenship, Eric McGlaughlin, River Mullins, Devin Pierson , Christian Inman ... just as Coach Carson is now a name to be remembered when looking back on the 2015-16 season & post season ... the SHAC is back and headed for C'bus ... best of luck to LC from the rest of the SEOhio District !!! ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Pfloyd missed you at the games. I was able to take in all three regional finals.
Saw trojandave and biggdowgg on sat. also.
John Glenn is the real deal. They are well coached and do play good defense. Sanchez for Desales is a good big man but JC doubled teamed him and got him in some foul troble.
I hope next year to make it to State.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”