SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's 2015-16 Preseason Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I agree with that for the most part!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

SHACFan wrote:You are way off on Lynchburg.

LOL … SHACFan - there is no doubt in my mind that I am off on some of these picks as the season hasn't started AND the SHAC is the most difficult league to get any kind of information about in the preseason … those teams West of Rte 23 are always a tough call until the season gets underway … Lynchburg Clay was picked high in the preseason LAST season but finished 13-9 - not the record I thought they would post by seasons end … IF you are going to say "I'm way off" - please back up your statement with facts , names, reasons why you feel Lynchburg Clay should be higher or lower on the Preseason Picks rankings … 72 teams … new season a month away … no one has played a game … I needed an approximate starting point for the 72 teams based on what I know or don't know - I've done that now … those first couple of weeks of the season will be - as always - the big move time of the season as we find out the contenders vs the pretenders … the teams who are ranked too low will definitely move up the lists while the overhyped/ranked teams will find their way down the rankings in a hurry as well …

… so please post on … I will always listen … agreeing to disagree as I get out to see as many of the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line as I can throughout the season … looking forward to meeting up with old hoops friends as well as making new acquaintances in the 2015-16 season as teams begin jockeying for position on the Pfloyd Elite 8 rankings …

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Wondering about Minford at #19. Return 4 starters off last year's team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

minford17 wrote:Wondering about Minford at #19. Return 4 starters off last year's team.

minford17 … definitely going to be a quality team when you return Trey Kelley, Brandon Rowe, Dillon Sheppard and Jared Alley … I love Dillon Sheppard's game - one of those kids who KNOWS how to get it done at both ends of the floor, for his size - more thick shoulder to shoulder than tall he gets it done inside/able to get his shot in traffic which really amazed me when I saw him play last season … I had/have concerns about the Falcon inside game vs teams with size … Minford isn't very big with Kelley at 6-3 , followed by Alley at 6-2 … the 3 ball with Rowe/Kelley is there for sure … I want to see how MHS does on the boards without Gullion - KG will be missed early in the season for sure imo …

… I have a Minford with a star on the big board for sure … I'll be watching their progress early and often …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… getting it together !!! … just combined napkin stats from 2013-14 thru 2014-15 … set up the big board by league affiliation for the new campaign in 2015-16 … Logan under the new leadership of Coach Kellough had round 1 of tryouts tonight before the Logan vs Warren Football game , more tomorrow morning with the final tryouts on Monday … individual workouts have been happening in the land of the Purple for the last 9 weeks along with open gyms, open gyms have consisted of current non-Fall sports players vs past graduates … word from the practice/tryouts tonight was that the kids never touched a basketball - ALL DEFENSIVE WORK … Coach K's philosophy is to get it done on the defensive end first - I'm a BIG BIG fan of defensive basketball - those programs which emphasize defense are the frequent/consistent winners - you play D , you can play vs ANYONE … looking forward to seeing this years Purple on the hardwood … Lane Little - one of the best PG in SE Ohio, Isaiah Smith will have a breakout season offensively … the kid will be the best shooter on the team … Cory Henthorne really hasn't grown size wise from his freshmen year- a 6-4 strong man with inside experience … Cole Baron - Mr. Hustle will team up with Lane Little to be one of the best defensive backcourts in SEO … throw into the mix returning 6-4 swing man Sam Evans who has a lot of varsity experience will rebound and score this season … 4 returning starters from a good Coach Helber coached squad from last season will give Warren all they can handle under the defensive minded system of Coach Kellough - guaranteed … Coach K has a history of playing freshmen/sophomores IF they get it done at both ends of the court - look for some underclassmen kids with size/quicks/hustle/those who buy into the "defense wins championships" philosophy to see the floor to gain experience … going to be a fun season for the fans of Logan Hoops …

… on a side note : I wish my good friend , Coach Helber, the best as he has been working with the kids at Fairfield Union this past Summer/Fall as an Assistant Hoops coach … Coach Helber brought along his talent, program here at Logan High School to the point where this year varsity, jv , freshmen squads will have very good years … Coach Helber built the program that Coach Kellough has inherited - one with lots of size/talent that WILL BE molded into a string of years where the fans will be treated to some outstanding basketball at LHS … thank you Coach Helber for ALL you have done for Logan basketball, you will bring your enthusiasm for the game and the kids who play the game to Fairfield Union … looking forward to meeting up with you in my travels this season as well as the Jan 19th matchup between your Red & Black and the Purple & White … best of luck to you Coach …

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Pfloyd... Excellent preseason poll!

BigPoppa77
Waterboy

Post by BigPoppa77 »

Lynchburg may be 6-10 spots too low for those who have some insider info, but I am in agreement that based on last years results, they are where they should start off. I would look for them to surely move up IF and only IF 1) They can come together and play TEAM ball and 2) The defensive effort is there. They have quite a bit of talent. Look out for a healthy Joe Giordano. Saw the kid consistently put up 20+/game and even went for 54 this fall vs much tougher competition than the SHAC can throw at him. If utilized correctly along with Pierson and other talent, Lynchburg could top the SHAC.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Them wellston rockets in da top 60 alllllllllllllriiiiiiiiiigthhhhhhhtttttttttttttttt

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

Why Westfall ahead of Zane Trace and Adena? Just curious on the thought process behind that one. Mowery is still Mowery.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

made me smile to find this post! Its that time again, The Purple Hippo has returned!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Welcome back Pfloyed!

WHEN THE PURPLE HIPPO COMES AROUND, BASKETBALLS START HITTING THE GROUND!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks LetsGoPSU … Orange and Brown … made me smile to see familiar names on the thread LOL … I am a fan of all high school sports BUT hoops season IS special … the game, the kids who play the game, the coaches, the fans and just other like minded folks as myself who love watching/analyzing the game - can't think of anything I'd rather be doing than traveling SEOhio watching high school hoops … I'm ready to see what the 72 teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line have in store for us this season !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bballsvcfan wrote:Why Westfall ahead of Zane Trace and Adena? Just curious on the thought process behind that one. Mowery is still Mowery.
bballsvcfan … you make a good point just be asking the question LOL … Westfall is unproven having finished last season at I believe at or near 7-14 … the Mustangs graduated only 2 seniors off their roster … many returning players with varsity experience … WHS size will be an issue but I look for Coach Younkin to put 4 quality scorers on the floor this season albeit they're all guards … small/quick guards means defense in my book … can the Mustangs rebound by committee? … I had to take a chance on "potential" with one of the teams in the SVC - Mustangs won the flip of the coin on that one …

Zane Trace ? Pierce Mowery IS Pierce Mowery … personally I'm a big fan of Boltenhouse as well … ZT only lost 1 senior as well in Nathan Nesser … as has been the MO for Zane Trace "they have athletes" … 15-7 last season … another double digit win season is in the offering for the Pioneers … Adena? I had in my napkin stats at the end of last season that Adena would be returning 3 excellent players in Collin Cory,Jonathan Thomas,Isaac Thomas … I even had them penciled in much higher on my original listing for the preseason BUT I read a couple of posts before the change over to the new format here on SEOPs that said that 1 or more were not going to play hoops this Winter ?!! … left me in a quandary as what to do with the Warriors - so I gave the nod to the younger Westfall groups who ARE returning to action … IF the posts about players not suiting up this season for Adena were false … obviously with their play on the court Adena will climb the charts …

NO MATTER WHAT ! - I'm ready for all the answers to start falling into place ON THE COURT … I pride myself on being fair and balanced in my rankings, on the fact I give a LARGE amount of my rankings to personally doing the "eye test" on teams especially the "quality" teams which make up the "top of the rankings" … I feel I KNOW good basketball when I see it … TEAM basketball, defensive basketball, heck I look at TEAMS in warmups ! asking myself the question "what does the coaching staff emphasize - fundamentals or do they rely on the shear physical abilities of the athletes on the team ? … my experience is that it takes both - talent and the coaching staffs ability to make that talent better with fundamentals - that's what creates quality TEAMS .. programs … I give lots of respect to the Coaches/the staffs under them who I KNOW do it right - Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert at Logan Elm, Coach Maddox at Warren, Coach Hoops at Unioto, Coach Davis at Chesapeake, Coach Barrick now at Eastern Pike, Coach Collins at Portsmouth, Coach Howie Caldwell at Trimble, Coach Beucler at Eastern Brown , Coach Speed at Fairland, Coach Persin at Oak Hill , Coach Combs at Vinton County … IF you are a true hoops junky you have to make sure you see the TEAMS managed by these coaches EVERY YEAR !!! I know I make sure I see these TEAMS more than once - just watching them puts a smile on my face ! solid fundamentals at both ends of the court … defense rules the day … will they have down years ? absolutely BUT they are never down fundamentally … they are always IN the game … their kids KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME … the Coaches/the TEACHERS of the game …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… already hearing about "ranking issues" with the Elite 8 - GOOD !!!! this is how I learn about the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line !!! by being wrong I hope those who point my errors followup with facts/names/napkin stats !!! something that enlightens us ALL … one of my goals is that we all learn about the 72 teams Below the Line … in order to do this we need posters from each of the leagues to post about the teams/players/etc. - the more information I/we can get the better at seeing eye to eye we all can be … I truly believe that with 72 teams to follow in Southern/Southeastern Ohio we still have the most knowledgable fans in the state -partly due to THIS website - SEOPs - I know I try to get as much information on teams and kids out there I can to everyone … I will tell you that the SHAC is the toughest for me to find scores/information from - Manchester/North Adams/West Union/Lynchburg Clay/Peebles/Eastern Brown … the Highland County Press does a great job getting scores/stories about the SHAC as well as the Miami Trace/Hillsboro/Washington CH teams …

… so I've heard about Lynchburg Clay (no names given, etc. on this one) being ranked waaaaaay too low … Adena/Zane Trace/Westfall issues with the Mustangs being too high in the rankings … I'll tell you - PreSeason ranking IS the hardest one to do … no records to go on, no one has played anyone, new coaching staffs, new players - unknown commodities really … in some cases new leagues … rumors about players transferring in/out, rumors about players from last years teams NOT playing this year … tough to put my name on a PreSeason Poll as everything is virtually Unknown … BUT it is a great way to "get the conversation started" …"get the blood flowing" … "to give teams locker room articles to post" … bottom line is that it is the TEAMS - players/coaches who will determine where they place on the Elite 8 as there are no under the table deals LOL … no kickbacks LOL … I just enjoy analyzing the teams/players/coaches on the hardwood - it's what I do … with the sole intent of moving conversations forward with those doing the talking speaking from knowledge of the teams, the players …

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Great to see you on SEOPS again, Pfloyd. Hope your health is good!! I will miss coming to the Land of the Purple this year!! Best wishes to your Chieftains and Coach Kellough........I think that is a great hire for LHS. Could this be the year that Logan beats Warren?

As far as the Trojans are concerned, we are lacking size so rebounding will be a challenge all year. We have two studs in Kyre Allison and Kendall Reynolds who can matchup with any twosome in the SE district. Senior Ethan Leonard is the other starter coming back, and he shot 52% from 3 point land and 92% from the FT line. We should have decent depth but no size off the bench. I have faith in Coach Collins (106-40) that he will lead the Trojans to another good season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave -Best of luck to you and your Trojans this season for sure ! Coach Collins' boys sit solidly in my Preseason Elite 8 to start this campaign … I'm sure we will cross paths along the way - as I will have to get in my PHS "fix" at some point - I have to see Kyre Allison before March !!! LOL … as far as Logan beating Warren ? this could be the year imo ! the Chiefs will miss the 6-8 size inside but will make up for it with Little/Henthorne/Smith /Evans/ Baron on the defensive end … should be a great year for the Purple !!! keep posting about the Trojans and the play within the OVC … Chesapeake/Ironton/Portsmouth/Fairland/Coal Grove - going to be battles every night along the river !!! …

The Oracle
Waterboy

Post by The Oracle »

Good to see the purple Hippo back, be well pfloyd

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”