Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd: #20 is just about right for the Trojans; right now I feel like we might have to fight to get over .500; depth is a serious concern with the 2016 edition of PHS basketball. The starting 5 is good (still lacking size), but quality minutes off the bench could be hard to find for Coach Collins. In this his 8th year with an overall record of 122-48, Coach Collins is faced with his thinnest bench since he took the reigns in 2009-2010. Senior Kendall Reynolds, barring injury, will join the prestigious 1,000 point club early in the campaign. He stands right now with 917 points.

Projected starting 5 for the 2016 Portsmouth Trojans:

Kendall Reynolds 6-3 senior
Mike Malone 5-10 senior
Reese Johnson 6-1 junior
Daniel Jordan 6-2 junior
DJ Eley 5-8 junior

Portsmouth opens the season with the Shawnee State Classic (at PHS) with the Waterford Wildcats. The OVC should be Fairland's all the way, but Ironton and South Point could be very pesky for the Dragons. I look for the Trojans to still be a factor in that we will probably be good enough to pull an upset here or there but I don't look for us to challenge for the league title. I sure hope I'm wrong on that point but just trying to be realistic at the same time.

Always looking forward to hoops season!!! GO TROJANS!!!

brown22
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason Rankings are Posted !!! 8/6/16

Post by brown22 »

Pfloyd glad to see my Eastern Pike Eagles and SW up there representing the D4 schools both return a lot of talent. Eagles return all their scoring with Ethan Leist and Clay Martin both looking to have big years. Martin keeps getting bigger and stronger and Leist looks really good coming off shoulder surgery in the off season. Looking forward to a couple Sophmores in Evan Leist and Mike Miller to have some big impact for the eagles this year. Junior Noah Gray has looked good this summer and will be a good role player and make the bench deeper with Tyler Hale , Gabe Gambill, Dalton Tomilson to rotate down in the post. Zimmerman for SW has looked good every time I have seen him this summer and I look for him to lead the area in scoring this year. Can't wait for basketball season GO EAGLES.

GO EAGLES
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm sure we will have our yearly D2 Logan sectional thread. Vinton, Warren, Fairfield union, and Athens.

Unioto, Miami Trace, and Chillicothe on the other side

Desales and Steubenville for regionals

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Saw Desales this summer, they played the hardest HC defense I've ever seen in the summer, which I'm guessing should translate pretty well for the Stallions. That's even leaving out Caden Sanchez too.

Will be another great year in D2. Waverly should be another quality team at the SE Sectional

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

danicalifornia wrote:Saw Desales this summer, they played the hardest HC defense I've ever seen in the summer, which I'm guessing should translate pretty well for the Stallions. That's even leaving out Caden Sanchez too.

Will be another great year in D2. Waverly should be another quality team at the SE Sectional
How much does Unioto bring back? Always seems like you guys have a lot of size

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Saw Desales this summer, they played the hardest HC defense I've ever seen in the summer, which I'm guessing should translate pretty well for the Stallions. That's even leaving out Caden Sanchez too.

How much does Unioto bring back?
Starters: Logan Swackhammer (6'2 Jr PG) and Brandon Kennedy (6'2 Jr G) who both started every game last year and had great AAU seasons playing with some other outstanding SE players including Woodside and Thompson from FU.
Part Time Starters (after Cottrill's injury): Gabe Fisher (6'1 Jr F) and Clay Edler (5'9 Sr G)
Off the bench: Peyton Hill (6'5 Jr F), Casey White (6'2 Sr G/F), Gavin Ogan (6'5 Sr F)
New to Varsity: Trey Ivey (6' Sr G), Nick Adkins (6'5 Jr C)

Edler had a very solid year last year after he got a not-so-kind introduction to varsity ball by Lutz in last year's foundation game, but will likely fill a starting spot, with Fisher and Hill being for sure starters. Fisher had a great game at the Convo against VC, while Hill may have the most upside of anyone in the program right now. The Shermans should be really fun to watch this winter and have a game at Wilmington right before Christmas that will be a solid test with the Hurricane returning 3 talented players from their Final Four run in D1, even though they obviously won't be the same without Cumberland and Stewart.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Looks like the tanks should be loaded with talent. Athens vs Unioto play in the preseason this year?
Lutz looks like he's 6'1 now and much stronger. I like the new Athens coach wants to play uptempo

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

You have Chesapeake about 10 spots too high. It'll be a miracle if they put a kid taller than six foot on the court

ROLL PEAKE
SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - PreSeason

Post by SWJeeps22 »

pfloyd wrote:Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

1. Fairland
2. Unioto
3. Vinton County
4. Miami Trace
5. Waterford
6. Fairfield Union
7. Warren
8. Lynchburg Clay

Treehugger Wannabes

9. Athens
10. Chillicothe
11. South Webster
12. Eastern Pike
13. Marietta
14. Logan
15. Sheridan
16. Logan Elm
17. Portsmouth Clay
18. Western Pike/Portsmouth East
19. Piketon
20. Portsmouth
21. Circleville
22. Oak Hill
23. Westfall
24. Peebles
25. Eastern Brown
26. South Gallia
27. Ironton
28. Zane Trace
29. Minford
30. Waverly
31. Paint Valley
32. Portsmouth Notre Dame
33.. Washington CH
34. Wheelersburg
35. Belpre/Lucasville Valley
36. North Adams
37. Symmes Valley
38. Wellston
39. Miller
40. Alexander
41. Fairfield Leesburg
42. Adena
43. Meigs
44. Chesapeake
45. Trimble
46. South Point
47. Wahama
48. Greenfield McClain
49. Nelsonville York
50. New Lexington
51. Southern
52. Manchester
53. Hillsboro
54. Jackson
55. Gallia Academy
56. Whiteoak
57. Coal Grove
58. Portsmouth West
59. Reedsville Eastern
60. River Valley / Crooksville

Teams on the End Table

61. West Union
62. St. Joseph
63. New Boston
64. Green
65. Huntington
66. Federal Hocking
67. Southeastern
68. Rock Hill
69. Northwest

Are you picking the Jeeps to win the SOC II? 8-)

colsoh
Waterboy

Post by colsoh »

basketball months away. Athens should be good Lutz leading way..ran into top AAU coach in Columbus said Athens Saltzmen played really well for a top AAU program this summer and is like 6'2" I did not realize his dad is an NBA certified agent that represents at least 10 NCAA div 1 players out of the MAC.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think a team that will surprise you and come out of the "teams on the end table" is New Boston. They returned everyone and Jenkins has done a fine job with his kids. SOC I is absolutely loaded with Clay/East/Western/ND/Eastern though, so wins on that side of the schedule may be hard to come by. However, I think they'll be MUCH more competitive than they have in years past.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

bbjunky81 wrote:I think a team that will surprise you and come out of the "teams on the end table" is New Boston. They returned everyone and Jenkins has done a fine job with his kids. SOC I is absolutely loaded with Clay/East/Western/ND/Eastern though, so wins on that side of the schedule may be hard to come by. However, I think they'll be MUCH more competitive than they have in years past.
I agree, best of luck to Coach Jenkins and the Tigers from the west side!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I always keep an eye on my Alma Mater- the Glenwood Tigers- every season ... this coming season will no different - I will be looking closely at game results, opponents played ... I KNOW the high level of play in the SOC 1 this coming year ... the preseason rankings of Portsmouth East, Clay, Western Pike & Eastern Pike reflect this talent on theses teams ... these 4 teams have their highest preseason rankings ever ...

... I too wish Coach Jenkins & the Tigers nothing but the best in the 2016-17 campaign ...

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

pfloyd, come watch your alma mater, and 13 other teams, at this year's Coach Young Classic at North Adams HS. Date is January 21, 2017.

Schedule of games for 2017 Coach Young Classic @ North Adams High School
January 21, 2017
10:00a- Manchester v. Portsmouth
11:45a- Peebles v. Sciotoville East
1:30p- West Union v. Waverly
3:15p- (Girls) North Adams v. Eastern Pike
5:00p- Lynchburg v. Eastern Pike
6:45p- Eastern Brown v. Chesapeake
8:45p- North Adams v. Glenwood New Boston

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I will definitely try to plan ahead and make the trip to NAHS. Should be some good basketball. Good to see the Trojans batting leadoff.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Have you seen Fairland's nonconference schedule? WOW! They will be lucky to win 3 nonconference games!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Firebreather wrote:Have you seen Fairland's nonconference schedule? WOW! They will be lucky to win 3 nonconference games!

Firebreather I HAVE NOT seen their schedule yet ... can you post the Dragons schedule for us ? thanks

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Id like to see the Dragons schedule as well. Result in non conference games shouldn't matter for Fairland, as long as it readies them for a Schott run in march

ROLL PEAKE
Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Harvest Prep in the Buckeye Elite Shootout, Huntington High in Big E Classic, Ironton Classic (not sure of opponent usually top notch), 2 games in TCC classic, Hilliard Bradley, Beast of the Southeast (Athens?), Tug Valley.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

They play Coach Lisath's Northridge team at one of those showcases. And Adena beat Harvest Prep last year, that should be a walk for Fairland.

Does the AD or Coach Speed know someone at Bradley? That's a big time game, facing last year's 9 seed in the Central District (D1) will be a huge test. Seems surprising that they would take it, even with knowing how good Fairland should be.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”