Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 4

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 4

Post by pfloyd »

... it's official - the start of the 2009 portion of the campaign has begun ... teams are finding the personnel combinations that work, role players have begun to get comfortable with what TEAM needs from them and as usual the cream is making its' or as in our case THEIR way to the top ... Chillicothe established itself as a "don't count us out TEAM" with a big road W in Portsmouth ... Wheelersburg sporting all youngsters in the lineup - freshmen to juniors - made the river trip to partake in the Black and Decker Special at Ironton - leaving with a statement win of their own as well as being crowned kings of the Orange & Black ... L's in the top eight were inflicted on each other this past week which continued the "holiday shuffle" at the top while Treehugger teams and those on the End Table began establishing themselves as contenders to move up the lists while others showed to be pretenders whose early success was more a factor of "who" they played rather than "how" THEY played ... lets find out how the holidays treated the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line closing out 08 and moving into 2009 ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio - Week 4

1. Logan Elm 7-0 ... The Braves of Coach Stiverson have played a third of their regular season without a blemish and have a firm hold on the top spot ... LE took care of "bidness" beating up on Miami Trace 90-54 ... the batman/robin duo of Tim Congrove and Brandon Amann tallied 24 points each to pace the Red & White ... good to see Tyler Pritchard's name in the box score with 13 as well ... Friday night has LE being entertained in Roundtown by Coach Evans & Co. in a warmup for THE big game in the MSL a week from Tuesday as one loss Canal Winchester comes to the Northwest Territory to take on Logan Elm ...

2. Oak Hill 7-0 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill gang keeps getting the job done as they added a win to their pocket schedules entering the New Year beating a good Northwest ball club by 16 ... OHHS 67 NWHS 51 ... the first 7 wins for the Oaks are vs teams without a winning record - this week has Ondera/JD Hale/Cannon/Borden et al playing at 6-2 Valley Tuesday night, before turning on that Rt 93 charm for the visiting 6-1 Wheelersburg Pirates Friday night ... two good games for the scoreboard watchers ...

3. Piketon 7-1 ... Coach Lisath's Redstreaks put up 2 wins to toast the end of 08 and begin 09 ... beating Waverly 65-60 and knocking off previously undefeated (7-1) Adena with a come from behind W 68-58 ... PHS may have shown it's achilles heel - Free Throw shooting - as the Streak were but 6-20 from the charity stripe ... scoring was led by Cody Smith with 16, Evan Legg's 14 and 6-6 Caleb Southworth's 9 points ... PHS takes on "giant killer" Southeastern and Unioto in the Week that Is ...

4. North Adams 6-0 ... Coach Young's Green Devils had a successful week being crowned champions of the Adams Co. Holiday Classic with a 75-60 win over Manchester HS ...

5. Chillicothe 3-2 ... Coach Kellough's Chillicothe squad served notice to the rest of Southern/Southeastern Ohio that the cupboard is not bare in Chilli ... an 83-31 "get the offense untracked" win over Jackson followed by a defensive jewel, on the road vs a fellow elite 8 Portsmouth Trojan team - beating PHS by 26 points 68-42 ... the Cavs had four in double figures - Smith 19/Dawes 11/Knights 11/Turner 12 ... 60% FG shooting percentage WILL get your offense untracked ... the key was the Cav D ... holding PHS to 37% shooting (19/51) , forcing 17 PHS turnovers, held the PHS perimeter people to 4/18 from behind the arc ... CHS invites OCC member Pickerington Central for a taste of basketball Below the Line Saturday night at the Hat ...

6. Ironton 6-2 ... Coach LaFon's Tigers suffered their second straight loss of the season - following a great game vs Brookhaven on 12/23 losing 65-62 - this time dropping a 58-53 overtime contest to visiting Wheelersburg ... untimely FT shooting misses (8/16), 2/13 from 3 point range combined with 17 TOs had the Tigers earning their 2nd L of the season ... IHS got back on track at Gallia Academy 49-31 ... the Tigers were led by Jonathan Schweickart's 11 pt/7 rbs ... Tim Kochendoerfer's 9 pts/4 stls/3 blks - IHS stayed unbeaten and atop the SEOAL South with the W ... a big week for the Tigers traveling to upstart Chesapeake Tuesday before returning home to play Portsmouth Friday night ...

7. Portsmouth 5-1 ... Coach Shoemaker "must'of" wondered "where has my team gone?" as Chillicothe decided to show the Trojans what defense really looks like as PHS disappeared in the 2nd half vs Chilli losing by 26 ... Portsmouth has a Friday/Saturday back to backer this week taking on (6-2) Ironton before being home vs a one loss Minford team ...

8. Wheelersburg 6-1/Alexander 6-1 ... my first tie of the campaign Alexander kept winning, beating TVC rival Trimble 55-43 to move to 6-1 ... Coach Barrick's Wheelersburg boyz could not be denied breaking into the familiar confines of the elite 8 as the Pirates went on the road to knock off Ironton in overtime before traveling to Federal Hocking where the Burg was once again the word - beating the Lancers 56-43 ... WHS was led again by underclassmen - sophomore Andy Stegman's 21 pts/13 Rbs , and freshman Zaide Whitely's 4/6 from three point range ... the Burg will need to stay focused as they remain on the road @ Minford , @ Oak Hill ...

... there you have Pfloyd's Elite 8 for the Week that Was - Week 4 in Southern/Southeastern Ohio hoops ... now "for the rest of the story" ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Adena 7-1
Chesapeake 4-1
Vinton Co. 6-1
South Point 4-1
Marietta 5-1
Southern 5-1
Hillsboro 5-1
Warren 3-2
Zane Trace 5-2
Westfall 7-2
Valley 6-2
Minford 6-1
Peebles 4-2
Fairland 5-3 ...okay it's 4 w's but they play one of those foreign teams this wk!
Fairfield Union 4-4
Waverly 3-2
Zanesville 2-5
Trimble 5-3
Waterford 5-1
Washington CH 4-3
Athens 4-3
Greenfield McClain 3-4
Gallia Academy 3-4
Belpre 2-3
Portsmouth East 3-1

... Teams on the End Table ...

Logan 1-4
Western 3-2
Northwest 2-3
Portsmouth West 2-2
Huntington 3-4
Southeastern Ross 3-5
Ironton St. Joe 4-3
Reedsville Eastern 3-4
Symmes Valley 2-4
Eastern Pike 2-4
Coal Grove 2-3
Rock Hill 2-5
Circleville ... o'fer

... my committee of one - me - entered the "computer age" by transferring all of my teams onto an excel file - could be good, could be all messed up ! LOL ... take a close look at the records that are listed ... as usual the majority are correct BUT and yes there IS always a BUT a few may be askew ... give me the corrections to make on the lists AND now on my 'puter files as well ...

... best of luck to all teams Below the Line ... this week has the makings of a great week of hoops ... I get my first look at Fairfield Union or as bman says "The Onion" Tuesday night as my Purple try to get untracked at Coach Barr's squads expense ... high school hoops is a great game - let's help it stay that way - support your team and coaches ... have a great week in the cheap seats ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 4

Post by biggdowgg »

wow,,dropped 4 spots for one loss, to a top 8 team :122246 .

hey we deserve it, good job my man.

wont bother me to drop clear out, as long as we get it together, and are in there at the end of the season.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FLOYD ...

The BURG beats Ironton but still lingers two places behind the Tigers? Don't tell me the I-town Maffia has finally influenced (or should i say bullied) you into being bias toward the Tigers?
:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93dog ... I was at that Ironton vs Wheelersburg - IF one of the 2 FTs IHS shot with 2.8 seconds on the clock in regulation had gone in the burg would have been on the outside of the elite 8 looking up LOL BUT fate had a lid on the bucket and the youngsters from WHS took advantage to get the W ... Burg gets in, Itown drops a few , Wheelersburg gets in - life is good ...LOL

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

You know I won't bug you about rankings but only on incorrect stats. In the Federal Hocking game, Zaide Whitley was 4-of-6 (67%)on three-point shots. (Not 4-of-4 as you have him listed.) He was fouled on a seventh attempt from that range and put in all three free throws (3/6 for the game on those) but that last one doesn't count in figuring his shooting percentage. Still, very nice numbers for the freshman.

Also in the Ironton game, the Tigers were 7 of 14 on free throws.

You will be encouraged to know that the Pirates shot 7/10 on free throws in the Federal Hocking game so hopefully the Ironton game with be the one and only aberration from the norm.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Good list pfloyd. Look forward to hearing your report on the Purple and White of Logan taking on Coach Barr's Fairfield Union...aka...The Onion... squad. Always a good game with a competitive Falcons ballclub.

A couple of more big games up here in the Northwest with Westfall hosting Zane Trace and Adena. Already looking forward to the Braves welcoming Canal Winchester down to the Reservation a week from Tuesday. May the best Brave/Indian win.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

This will be an interesting week to watch the Oak HILL boys. If they can win these next two games everybody will be going crazy for this team.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Ironton @ Chesapeake should be an interesting game also.

CoachClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by CoachClaytor »

PFloyd...
Western is 3-2 not 2-3 as you have listed.

Wins over Green, New Boston and Eastern Pike
Loses to Valley and Piketon

gotgame
Freshman Team

Post by gotgame »

Great list! Belpre is 2-3 They've had to "snow outs"

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

bump

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Eloquent and informative post as always pink floyd. Basketball keeps back into full throttle this week, get out and support your local school.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

Seems awful BCS of you to rank Chillicothe over Ironton after the head-to-head meeting, but unlike Oklahoma and Texas there is a round #2.

GO TIGERS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gotgame ... I actually have the Eagles at 2-3 on my spreadsheet - somehow the transfer of "adding up the wins and losses" got messed up by my fingers LOL ... it's now correct everywhere ... Coach Claytor - same deal that transfer of info is not what it used to be ... I knew I'd make a few mistakes - so many numbers, w's/L's vs such bad eyes !!! thanks for the assistance ...

Belpre :

Loss vs Meigs 66-73
Loss vs Warren 62-71
Loss vs Marietta 51-79

Win vs Wellston 72-53
Win vs Waterford 63-56 ... is this what you have gotgame?

Western :

L to Valley 62-94
w vs Green 70-48
w vs New Boston 77-75
L to Piketon 58-72
w vs Eastern Pike 63-62 ... is this what you have Coach C?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Pfloyd the dragons also play South Point Fri. Hopefully another chance to climb the list.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Next to the Fiesta Bowl tonight, Pfloyd's Elite 8 should get the highest viewer ship around. As always, great work in calling them like you see them.

As for the Chilly Cavs (no pun intended on our shooting), they will have a make up game at Gallia Academy tomorrow night (weather permitting).

Defense will get us moving back up the ladder, but I like to stay below the radar. Coach Matta told the team at the Ring Ceremony that there will be a bulls eye on their back every game. We have found that out. I do like Gary Kellough coached teams in mid to late January.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 DII STATE CHAMPS!!!

CoachClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by CoachClaytor »

YEZZIR PFloyd, that is what I have.

SOC 1 has an interesting one tomorrow night as Notre Dame Travels to Western. Both teams are the only two teams left undefeated in league play.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Space Cowboy wrote:This will be an interesting week to watch the Oak HILL boys. If they can win these next two games everybody will be going crazy for this team.

Well, so much for "going crazy".
:shock: :oops:

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

OOPS.....WHAT HAPPENED OAKS? Friend of mine, that went to the game, said they looked like they were runnin out of gas late in the 3rd P. Now I wonder about their game with the Burg on the 9th. If conditioning is the problem , it doesnt give em much time to prepare.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd-

Piketon beat Southeastern 72-68 tonight. SE came back from a 17 pt deficit to keep it close at the end. Streaks looked a little sluggish and had foul problems, but a "W" is a "W". SE was very scrappy, and they didn't quit. They always play tough against the Redstreaks.

Napkin Stats-

Jordan Brabson finished with 30 pts and 10 rebs
Coty Smith had 15 pts, 8 rebs.
Evan Legg 12 pts.

SE: willard 24 pts/16 rebs.
Elam 21 pts.

next up is Unioto...big rivalry...should be fun!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”