Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Post by pfloyd »

... another outstanding week of high school basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... from the Cheap Seats we were able to see teams IN the top 8 "interact" on the court ... we were treated to overtime games, onesided "defensive gems", clashes of SOC powers , intra- league clashes of SEOAL vs SOC big boys, a look at things to come from last years D2 State Champions - the Chillicothe Cavs - defense, defense, more defense WITH the outside shots now beginning to fall , an Elite 8 team Wheelersburg falling to Oak Hill who fell to Valley who was making a statement for themselves to move up the lists ... this past week had teams on the "outside" having the opportunity to take on those teams higher up in the rankings - some went toe to toe ... came out with the W in hand while others were bloodied a little BUT came away knowing that they would meet the Big Team on Campus one more time before the end of the regular season ...

... let's as Always see how the action in the Week that Was treated all of the teams in Southern/Southeast Ohio ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio - Week #5

1. Logan Elm 8-0 ... the Braves took care of bidness vs Circleville in their only game of the week - LE 67 Roundtown 34 ... Tim Congrove put up 26 points on the Tigers while joining the 1000 Point Club for his high school career - Congratulations to Tim Congrove on this accomplishment ...TC collected 6 Rbs and 4 steals as well ... the 2nd half of the dynamic duo for Logan Elm Brandon Amann added 16 points and Logan Hauserman 8 ... the win sets up THE game in the MSL so far this season as Canal Winchester comes to the Reservation Tuesday night in a triple header of freshmen/JV/Varsity contests ... LE finishes the week at Amanda Clearcreek on Saturday night ...

2. Piketon 9-1 ... the Red Streaks picked up 2 W's on the week a 72-68 win over Southeastern , followed by a 58-46 rival game win with Unioto where we saw Jordan Brabson knockdown 24 pts/8 rbs with help from Cody Smith's 10 pts/6 rbs ... a MAJOR makeup game Tuesday night with 9-2 Westfall gets things going for Piketon in the Week that IS ...Friday night has Zane Trace coming to PHS where the Streaks will try to avenge their only loss of the season a 44-55 set back to ZT in game 2 ...

3. Chillicothe 5-2 ... the Cavs are now into full Defensive mode on the court and in making a statement that they ARE the D2 State Champions... the Cavs swarmed Gallia Academy 53-28 before taking on a very talented OCC foe in Pickerington Central where the Cavs D did its' job in the 20 point CHS win 76-56 ... the Cavs won the state title with defense last year - THIS YEARS team knows that Defense wins titles - they are doing the job defensively ... what is becoming scary to CHS opponents is that what was thought to be an achilles heel for the CAVS - outside shooting- is slowly but surely disappearing with Seth Dawes, Caleb Knights & Co. finding the range from behind the arc vs PC Dawes drained consecutive threes on his way to 17 points and a double double (17pts/15 rbs) , Knights, Smith, Turner all joined Dawes in double figures for the game ... Coach Kellough's boyz will take on GAHS for the second time in less than a week, along with entertaining Marietta Friday before playing in the Wellston National Hoops Classic Saturday ...

4. North Adams 7-0 ... the Devils picked up their 2nd win of the season vs Peebles 77-67 ...

5. Ironton 8-2 ... the Tigers had a great week on the court adding 2 W's to their pocket schedules - beating Chesapeake 67-59 before having to come from behind to beat the Portsmouth Trojans 62-55 in OT Friday night ... vs the Peake IHS was led by Dustin Greens 21/Tim Kockendoerfer 11/ Lukas 10... the Itown D held CHS to 7/35 shooting in the 2nd half to nail down the win ... the I'town boyz will travel to the Apple City to take on Jackson (2 wins in a row) followed by entertaining 2-7 Zanesville Friday evening on the river ...

6. Oak Hill 8-1 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill boys suffered their first loss of the season in the Week that Was - losing to Valley 55-65 before righting the ship vs Wheelersburg 53-35 ... the Oak Hill defense shutdown everyone but Stegman (23 points) - allowing 12 points by the rest of the team for the game ... the Oaks were led by the usual cast of characters Ondera's 14/Slone 10/JD Hale 12 pts...the Oaksters have a busy week as they are on the road vs a talented Minford team Tuesday, at Portsmouth West Friday before playing a rare Sunday game at North Canton vs Alliance Marlington ...

7. Alexander 8-1 ... the Spartans moved up a notch with a 2 win week ... beating Belpre 58-42 and hammering Federal Hocking 69-46 ...

8. Portsmouth 6-2/ Wheelersburg 7-2 ... PHS dropped in the standings with it's loss to Ironton on Friday night 55-62 in OT ... however the Trojans of Coach Shoemaker recovered with a good Saturday night W over Minford 56-48 .. trojandave's boyz will have a week to prepare for a visit from the Purple of Logan this coming Friday night ... the Wheelersburg Pirates endured a tough week surviving a tough game vs Minford 47-46 where the Orange & Black erased a 6 point deficit in the last one and a half minutes to get the W ... the Pirates lost their matchup with Oak Hill 35-53 as Stegman did a solo act scoring 23 of the WHS 35 points ... this week has the Burg matching up with Northwest before traveling to Waverly to take on the Tigers Friday evening ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Vinton County 8-1
Adena 8-2
Chesapeake 5-2
Marietta 6-2
Warren 5-2
Westfall 9-2
Valley 8-2
Fairland 6-3
South Point 4-2
Southern 6-2
Hillsboro 6-2
Minford 7-3
Zane Trace 6-3
Fairfield Union 5-5
Peebles 5-3
Waterford 6-3
Waverly 4-2
Greenfield McClain 5-4
Washington CH 4-4
Athens 5-3
Western Pike 5-2
Trimble 5-5
Gallia Academy 3-5
Belpre 3-4
Eastern Pike 4-4
Portsmouth East 4-3

... Teams on the End Table ...

Zanesville 2-7
Logan 2-6
Huntington 3-6
Southeastern 4-6
Nelsonville 5-3
Northwest 2-5
Ironton St. Joe 5-4 ... Congratulations to Chad Harvey joined the 1000 pt Club this week ... outstanding accomplishment ...
Reedsville Eastern 3-5
Symmes Valley 3-5
Coal Grove 2-4
Rock Hill 3-5
Jackson 2 wins in a row
Circleville still 0'fer the season ...

... week 5's lists are in the books ... the meat of the regular season continues with more outstanding contests this week ... with a little cooperation from Mother Nature we should have another great week of high school hoops Below the Line ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Post by pfloyd »

... as usual let me know of any record "miscues" ... and even a possible omission of a team that was on the list from last week but suddenly "vanished" LOL - I have been known to skip over a team on my lists as I'm ranking them from one napkin to another napkin ... be kind to the old man - me - LOL ... thanks ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... some of the Week 6 Menu of games ...

Tuesday the 13th

Logan Elm vs Canal Winchester
Nelsonville @ Trimble
Valley @ Waverly
South Point @ Chesapeake
Northwest @ Wheelersburg
Warren @ Marietta

Friday the 16th ...

Fairland vs Chesapeake
Logan @ Portsmouth
Ironton vs Zanesville
Chillicothe vs Marietta

... others we should be checking out in the Week that Is ????

... Who are the teams playing at Wellston this Saturday in the National Hoops Classic ??? what does the menu for these games look like ie. start times and who is playing ??? ... thanks ...

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Pfloyd how can the pointers be in front of my dragons? The dragons are on a 5 game winning streak after their 2 bad losses of Logan Elm where we stunk the court up and the horrible loss to Rock Hill. We are starting to play better and the coach is starting to get his point across to his players. We have a chance to get a little more respect from you and S.E. Ohio this Fri. When we play our arch rival those pesky little panthers of Chesapuke. We have some kids that are not 100% but I like are chances to move up your esteemed list. If you never been to one of these games just let me tell you this is an intense of a game as any game you will ever watch. Even the fair weather fans of FHS cheer.

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

Oak Hill at Minford on Tuesday the 13th

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bucking red ... I didn't follow the arrow I had drawn on my napkin far enough - I did have the Dragons one up on the Pointers due to the Fairland OT win over So. Point this past weekend ... thanks for pointing that one out ... you watch how you post to me bucking red - I'll have you sent back to one of those Tolsia POW camps again LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... salemcat ... Oak Hill will have their hands full with the Falcons at Minford ... should be a dandy ... get out and see that one !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... who does Vinton County play this week ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'd switch Piketon and North Adams.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

pfloyd wrote:... who does Vinton County play this week ?

Don't know if they have a Tuesday game,but they host Nelsonville York on Friday.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

pfloyd,

As always, great insight on B-ball in these parts of Ohio. I love the kudo's to Chilly's defense. It has become the staple of the program. Saturday we watched two chisled veterans in Seth Dawes and Caleb Knights lead the Cavs to victory over D1 Pickerington. Dawes and Knights continue to make their mark in Chillicothe Basketball history. Their leadership and abilities give the Cavs a chance to win in every contest. Look for them to continue to shine throughout the year.

GO CAVS!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Thanks for keeping us in your top 8........but we will be tested for sure to stay up there........we have your Chieftains coming into Portsmouth this Friday, then travel to Jackson next Tuesday to play an improved Ironmen team, then have to go to Marietta the following Friday to battle the first place(North) Tigers.

We most likely will lose at least a couple more games because there are no gimmes in the SEOAL, but hopefully the schedule will get us ready to make a long tourney run..........

stephen3108
Riding the Bench

Post by stephen3108 »

Pfloyd,

Good list. I agree with the rankings for the most part, however I agree with Ironman. North Adams should move up the list a little bit. They have showed a lot of toughness and have beaten a few good teams. Great Job.

Tcat wahoo
Waterboy

Post by Tcat wahoo »

Pfloyd
Are you heading to the Logan Elm game on Tuesday? It should be a good one. At the beginning of the season I thought CW would win, but I am having different thoughts now. CW has not played has well there last 4 games. LE has been steady all year. I saw both teams play against Teays Valley and Fairfield Union. Both games LE struggled to win but CW was up 20 by halftime and the starting 5 never played the 4th qtr. I know you are familiar with LE. CW will play 8 or 9, and 7 of them are seniors. Woodley is 6'4 and very atheletic. He sometimes gets in foul trouble. Is starting to consistantly score in double digits. Barber is a strong 6'4 and a good shot from 18' and in. Very smart player. Riggs is coaches son and a spark plug. smart and always hustles. White plays good D and can shoot the 3. The best player in the MSL is Darian Carthon 6'1 point guard he can do it all play inside or out. unlimited range, great ball handler, jumps, unbelievable moves. He looks like he should be going D1 to play football. See you there.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tcat wahoo ... that's my plan- to drive over to LE for this one - weather permitting ... the last time I started down Rt. 180 my Vibe did a doughnut in the middle of the road due to black ice LOL I returned to the comfort of the Land of Purple - found out on the puter that the game with Westfall was canceled due to the ice ... as long as it's just snow I'll be there that ice stuff makes these old bones shiver LOL ...

... so yes I hope to be in the Cheap Seats tomorrow night - it's a triple header I believe Freshman/JV/Varsity with a 5PM tipoff for the freshmen game ...

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

pfloyd wrote:[color=#BF00FF][size=200]...
[b]3. Chillicothe 5-2
... the Cavs are now into full Defensive mode on the court and in making a statement that they ARE the D2 State Champions... the Cavs swarmed Gallia Academy 53-28 before taking on a very talented OCC foe in Pickerington Central where the Cavs D did its' job in the 20 point CHS win 76-56 ... the Cavs won the state title with defense last year - THIS YEARS team knows that Defense wins titles - they are doing the job defensively ... what is becoming scary to CHS opponents is that what was thought to be an achilles heel for the CAVS - outside shooting- is slowly but surely disappearing with Seth Dawes, Caleb Knights & Co. finding the range from behind the arc vs PC Dawes drained consecutive threes on his way to 17 points and a double double (17pts/15 rbs) , Knights, Smith, Turner all joined Dawes in double figures for the game ... Coach Kellough's boyz will take on GAHS for the second time in less than a week, along with entertaining Marietta Friday before playing in the Wellston National Hoops Classic Saturday ...

Dont Forget that Gregg Van Volkenberg also had 10 points. All 5 starters were in double figures :-D . Also...sad news to hear that Jordan Benson will not play the remainder of the season do to a shoulder injury sufferred during football season.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Get there early pfloyd as I would not be surprised if this one sold out. It did last year and always draws a big crowd - with or without B.J.

Bob
Waterboy

Post by Bob »

Even though I am a Red Streaks fan, I think they are too high at #2. While there is definite talent on this team, I have yet to see them do away with the selfishness that seems to have plagued them the last couple of years. They can beat everyone on the remainder of their schedule, but only if they play for W's and not individual stats.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Bob wrote:Even though I am a Red Streaks fan, I think they are too high at #2. While there is definite talent on this team, I have yet to see them do away with the selfishness that seems to have plagued them the last couple of years. They can beat everyone on the remainder of their schedule, but only if they play for W's and not individual stats.

huh....with fans like you, who needs enemies! They're 9-1, won 7 out of 8 on the road, beat three Div.II teams, beat Cincinnati Clark Montessori who beat North College Hill, beat Waverly at Waverly, beat Columbus Mifflin at Mifflin. Beat undefeated Adena at Adena....three players averaging double figures....just not seeing what you are seeing!

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Well Pfloyd we laid another egg big time tonight getting beat by River Valley 65-61. I just can't figure this team out. Oh well maybe we can salvage the week with a win over Chesy . Pfloyd RV was the most well prepared team we have faced this year. They easily broke our press and had way too many 2 on 1's.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”