Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 5

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

You headed down this way tonight Pfloyd???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Ozzie ... I went as far as Chillicothe tonight ... watched the Cavs dismantle the Tigers of Coach Secrest ... this one was over early as the Cavs defense opened up a 35-14 intermission lead on the Tigers ... forced 17 first half TOs by MHS ...

... a few pfloyd napkin stats ...

Chillicothe

Scoring ... Seth Dawes 16/Caleb Knights 13/Ronnie Smith 12/ Michael Turner 8/ VanVulkenburg 6

Three Pointers ... 1/9 ... Dawes 1
FT's ... 8/13
TOs ... 19 ... a sloppy 3rd qtr. by the Cavs - 9 TOs

... I had Chilli with 21 fgs inside the paint ...6 fg's in Transition ... probably the biggest key was the ability of Knights/Turner & Co. to get to the rim via the baseline - Cavs had 10 fgs driving the baseline ...

Marietta

Scoring ... Zack Arnold 11/Davis 7/ Tabler 6/Eschbaugh 5/ Brockmeier 4
Three Pointers ... 1/13
FT's ... 2/7
TO's ... 26 / 17 in the first half ...

... the Tigers looked intimidated in the first quarter by the Cavs pressure defense ... never recovered from the 17 TOs in the first half of play and the 35-14 deficit ... Tabler was never a factor - excellent defense by the Cavs on the Tiger PG ...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^

pfloyd,

Excellent analysis.... Cavs downfall all year has been one sloppy quarter. The 3rd was terrible and Coach K. hair went grayer and shorter. However, I agree on the pressure the Cavs put on. Our perimeter D has been excellent. I felt the Tigers did not want to attack to teeth of our D.

I did think the Tigers would have more firepower on the offensive end, but our D will do that. However, I thought Moses was parting the Red Sea everytime Caleb Knights went to the basket. If we knock down some of our other inside shots, we score 75.

Cavs glad to get a W and get back to a tie at the top of the South. We are not used to trailing the pack. We get through tomorrow night (Wellston event) healthy, then we have the big rematch game with Ironton on Tuesday.

GO CAVS!!!

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd,

Piketon Redstreaks silencing their doubters by another impressive win tonight versus the Zane Trace Pioneers. Avenging their only loss of the season, the Redstreaks dominated the pioneers by winning 75-49. After a 7-2 start by ZT (Maxwell all 7 pts) the first 3 minutes of the game, the Redstreaks went on a MAJOR run to a 26-11 1st quarter score, and halftime score of 42-20....Team DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE....Caleb Southworth held Maxwell to 11 pts total for the game (4pts after the first 3 minutes)....Evan Legg held Gabe Haynes to 5 pts total (had 24 pts the first game)...halftime stat....ZT had 5 rebounds for the 1st half... Piketon 2nd string played nearly whole 4th quarter....

Final Score: P 75 ZT 49

Stats (Napkin)

PIKETON
Evan Legg 18 pts, 7 assist, 3 steals
Cody Smith 18 pts, 7 rebs.
Caleb Southworth 9 pts, 7 rebs., 3 blocks
Jordan Brabson 10pts, 5 rebs.
Keenan Brush 8 pts, 6 rebs, 2 blocks

ZANE TRACE
Kirk Maxwell 11pts,
Gabe Haynes 5 pts.

I want to say this.... Evan Legg may be THE best true PG in southeastern Ohio...This kid can score, can dish, but most importantly, he can defend the whole game...He's only a SOPHMORE! He proved tonight what we missed the first go around with ZT....He doesn't ever come out of a game, either..Not having him healthy the first game with ZT was huge...Glad he's a REDSTREAK!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Kelley - my Ouija Board had the Piketon boyz getting major "revenge" for the loss at ZT in game #2 ... I totally agree about Evan Legg - he is an outstanding point guard ... many of the very good pg in the area are of the "scorer first" variety ... Evan CAN score, but as any good PG should do his job is to run the offense NOT "be the offense" - he handles the ball under pressure, he makes great decisions in distributing the ball to his scorers WHERE they can score, great defender AND as you pointed out he can do it for an entire game ... that was my big concern about Piketon - could they give Legg a blow during a tight game without stopping momentum or without suffering on the floor - TOs, etc. .... the youngster is outstanding - Evan Legg one of the top PGs Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... anyone have scores for Hillsboro this week ? ...

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

bronc21 wrote:jimmy the greek
oh i wish i was a teenager....the games you supposedly saw chilli in were chillis 1st 2 games. they were making adjustments replacing hitchens and chambers. i also watched piketon struggle in the 2nd half vs the clarks teams press. piketon could not compete vs chilli's defense. i want piketon to do well, as coach lisath is my fav. coach in these parts..he was coach at unioto when my son played there.a class individual. but chilli's defense is way too much for piketon.

The Logan Elm game wasn't their second game, nevertheless we will never know, because they won't be playing this year. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Clarks press, Mifflins press where both pretty good, bottom line they handled it enough to get the win. This team is so much better than that first game at the Tip off Classic. I've been around the game a very long time and I cheered for Chilli when they won the state last year....just being honest here....Chilli and Logan Elm are not 40 points better than Piketon.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

jimmy chipwood wrote:Pfloyd, I agree that Piketon has played the tougher schedule so far and has the tougher schedule for the total season. But, by the end of the year anybody who has beaten Manchester will consider it a "Good" win. Because they are every bit as good as Western and would clean up in the SOC small schools. Same could be said for Whiteoak - by end of season they will make some noise. SVC is definately stronger conference (than SHL) this year from top to bottom but not every year.

Mr. Chitwood,

Have you seen Eastern-Pike play this year? The lost to Western in the final seconds and then just beat them 70-60 last week.
I am sure that Manchester is solid....but I bet they wouldn't "mop up" with Eastern Pike. The eagles gave Waverly all they wanted and then some and a Minford squad (who lost heartbreakers to Burg and Portsmouth and beat Oak Hill)only beat the Eagles 64-61 in OT.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... what time does Oak Hill play Sunday in Canton??? ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

From the Northwest...

Logan Elm 75 Amanda 56

Chad Holbrook 21 points for Logan Elm. Tim Congrove added 19 points.

LE - 9-1, 5-1
LE - @ Bloom-Carroll Friday, vs. Westfall Saturday afternoon.

Westfall 68 Paint Valley 37

Travis Burleson 21 points
Tyler Kritsch 14 points

WF - 10-3, 7-1
WF - vs. Unioto Tuesday, vs. Piketon Friday, @ Logan Elm Saturday

Teays Valley 59 Circleville 52
David Cydrus 18 points, Kort Wolfe 11 for Roundtown.
CV - 0-8, 0-5
TV - 7-3, 4-2
CV - @ Fairfield Union Monday, @ Hamilton Township Friday

There you have it from the cold, vast Northwest Territory. Now off for a little sleep before tracking up to Pickerington Central to see the Roundtown girls play Cincinnati Hughes in the Pickerington Classic for an 11am showdown.
Last edited by bman on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks bman ... I was at the Reservation last night for the Logan Elm game with Amanda ... always a pleasure to see the Braves vs anyone ... have been a Coach Stiverson fan from the "get go", enjoy seeing the game played the right way at both ends of the court ... something about "fundamentals", players who understand "how" to play the game - great stuff no matter who they are playing - Tim Congrove, Adam Blake, Chad Holbrook, Tyler Pritchard, Cory Whaley, have grown up in the Stiverson System - it shows ... Brandon Amann brings energy, self created offense to the floor - a positive addition to the mix , add 6-7 #0 Logan Hauserman and you have a very talented, cerebral ball club that knows how to get it done AND can get it done on the floor ... good to run into and chat with Evan Blake last night - enjoyed watching that young man play the game ... one of those coaches on the floor type of players hmmmmm just like his coach was back in his days at LHS-Coach Stiverson ...

... a few pfloyd "napkin" stats from last night's action ...

Scoring ... Chad Holbrook 21/Tim Congrove 19/Cory Whaley 8/Pritchard 8/ Adam Blake 6/ Amann 6/ Hauserman 6

3 Pointers ... OUTSTANDING exhibition of perimeter shooting ... 10/20 ( 6/12 in the first half) ... 50% for the game ... Chad Holbrook 5/ Tim Congrove 3/ Cory Whaley 2 ...

FT's ... 13/19
TO's ... 18

... kudos to Adam Blake - I don't keep assists but the young man had some outstanding touches with penetration then kicking the ball out to the perimeter or hitting a flashing teammate at the rim - great floor game ... one of those kids that CAN score but knows his "role" on the TEAM ...

... best of luck to the Braves & Coach Stiverson the rest of the regular season ... not sure how many more times I'll get to see the Red/White before the post season but last night was a good transfusion of TEAM basketball for me LOL ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Nice to see you made it up to the Reservation. LE is playing a rare Saturday afternoon game this week against Westfall so that'll be an interesting game for the county championship.

gobraves90
Waterboy

Post by gobraves90 »

Going into last night's game, Adam Blake had been averaging 8.9 assists per game. Even with missing the game against Canal Winchester, he's on pace for about 170 assists for the regular season alone, which would just smash the old season record of 149 set by big brother, Evan in 05-06 (which I think includes tournament games, too). If things keep going at this pace in the second half of the season, then just about any tournament run beyond the sectional level will put the 200 assist mark within reach. With all the accolades (deserved at that) for Tim Congrove and Brandon Amann, could it be that Adam Blake is this team's MVP?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Hey Pfloyd I don't know where you are going to rank my dragons this week . I just want to tell you don't give up on my dragons. After a disappointing loss to an improved River Valley squad who is excellently coached. How could Belpre have let him slip away. My dragons though took care of business Fri day by taken it to Chessy. The difference is was the dragons worked the ball for good looks instead of throwing up 3's. Our record my not show it but let me tell you this when FHS plays ball like it did Fri. they are one of the best teams in S.E. Ohio. Most of these kids live to play in big games and I think you will see us up at the Convo this year agian. We will most likely play Chessy again this Sat. at the ST. Joe tourny.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

A very good game to watch this week up in the "ALLY" top of the list TREEHUGGER WANNABE VINTON COUNTY and ELITE 8 powerhouse ALEXANDER

Should be a good game im taking the VIKINGS by 5 :122245

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”