Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason

Post by BUCKEYES »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Just got my report from the Piketon vs. Logan Elm scrimmage: Streaks play tough split 2-2 (1's vs 1's) and Logan Elm's bench goes 2-0 vs Piketon's bench. This is a good indicator the Streaks will play at a high level. Two players sat out for the Streaks today (one injury, and one waiting on OHSAA to approve the transfer). I'm told Logan Elm's defense was impressive...and Piketon's press was pretty impressive. I can't wait to see the "Young Streaks" this year...The roster shows one senior.
I heard Piketon won the first 15 to 7 and lost second 22 to 1, any truth to that?

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Back to basketball,finally!! Great list PFLOYD...Honestly I would've put my Cavs #3 or #4..losing Mr. Ragland was big from a scoring stand point...but Zach Johnson will have to carry that load along with the "Big Man"! Madison Simmons could step in as well..They played very well yesterday vs Northland at the Hoop..its very early so we'll see..glad basketball is back!! Good to see all the posters also!!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

BUCKEYES wrote:
Jimmy the Greek wrote:Just got my report from the Piketon vs. Logan Elm scrimmage: Streaks play tough split 2-2 (1's vs 1's) and Logan Elm's bench goes 2-0 vs Piketon's bench. This is a good indicator the Streaks will play at a high level. Two players sat out for the Streaks today (one injury, and one waiting on OHSAA to approve the transfer). I'm told Logan Elm's defense was impressive...and Piketon's press was pretty impressive. I can't wait to see the "Young Streaks" this year...The roster shows one senior.
I heard Piketon won the first 15 to 7 and lost second 22 to 1, any truth to that?

That is correct...all five starters sat out, plus two sitting out with injuries for Piketon, that leaves a very thin bench. Logan Elm played their bench mixed with starters and kicked Piketon's butt. That's how it was given to me...I wasn't there. When it was 1's vs 1's it was even all day. One of the parents keep scores by the quarters I see if I can get that for you.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:
BUCKEYES wrote:

That is correct...all five starters sat out, plus two sitting out with injuries for Piketon, that leaves a very thin bench. Logan Elm played their bench mixed with starters and kicked Piketon's butt. That's how it was given to me...I wasn't there. When it was 1's vs 1's it was even all day. One of the parents keep scores by the quarters I see if I can get that for you.
Ok, Thanks I get the info from my daughter and she probably does not pay real close attention to the game. I spoke with one of the players tonight from LE and he said they should be very deep, play very good D but their shooting is not real consistent right now. He said that the sophmore Young is really scoring a lot of points for them right now, but everyone else still a little hit and miss.

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

i really enjoy reading your post Pfloyd

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

hope everything works out well with your health!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

jimmy the greek,

I love your enthusiasm and passion for the Streaks: however sometimes your sources gives you bad information. We are not waiting on the OHSAA regarding our transfers. (That is not the issue at this point). I love our team and believe we have the potential to be real good; but we are not there yet and we have a very long way to go. Currently we are a little banged up and will struggle initially, but yes..."IF" things continue to move forward and "IF" the chemistry continues to improve and "IF" we get some guys step up and play to their potential. Then yes we can be among the elite. But we are not there yet! Time will tell...the best thing that could have happen to us is we don't play the first week of the season...we need that extra time to heal, learn, and gel.... Don't count us out....but don't put us among the elite just yet....let's see where we are after the first round of games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... ohiostbucks99 ...Thanks! I hope we can keep it interesting ALL season long - with high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line there are always "stories" to be had/told every single week ... I'm looking forward get around Southern/Southeast Ohio to see the quality basketball that is played every year between Dec and March ... feel free to throw in your 2 cent worth!!! the good thing about the majority of the great fans we have Below the Line is that "WE" agree to disagree and move on from there ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LetsGoPSU ... I have a double biopsy (one for the spot on my left lung, a 2nd biopsy of a nodule in the right perotid gland of my face) on Dec 14th at Riverside Hospital in C'bus ... should know something a couple of days later ... as I told 93dog my fingers and toes are all crossed hoping for good results ... Thank you for your support my friend - until I hear otherwise I am going on with life as usual - watching hoops, hoops and more high school hoops - it's what I do, it's what I love to do ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... in a couple of Weeks we will have the first Official "Unofficial" Elite 8 List but until then ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Preseason Edition ...

1. Portsmouth (16-4)

2. Chillicothe (17-3)

3. Chesapeake (19-1)

4. Logan Elm (14-6)

5. Ironton (12-7)

6. Eastern Brown (10-8)

7. Warren (17-3)

8. Huntington (13-7)

...Tree Hugger Wannabes...

Manchester (15-5)
Fairfield Union (10-10)
Piketon (18-2)
Marietta (14-6)
Lucasville Valley (10-10)
Unioto (13-7)
Miami Trace (15-3)
Athens (8-12)
Vinton County (16-4)
Southeastern Ross (9-11)
South Gallia (10-10)
Peebles (19-1)
Sheridan (17-3)
Jackson (5-15)
Logan (5-15)
Southern (10-9)
Wheelersburg (15-5)
Hillsboro (13-7)
Washington Courthouse (14-6)
Greenfield McClain (9-11)
Oak Hill (14-6)
Waverly (8-11)
Waterford (11-9)
Wellston (10-10)
Federal Hocking (unranked)
South Webster (15-4)
Symmes Valley (17-3)
WhiteOak (9-11)
Zane Trace (unranked)
Meigs (10-10)
Northwest (8-11)
Ironton St. Joe (12-7)
Franklin Furnace Green (14-5)
Minford (7-13)
Portsmouth Clay (12-8)
Westfall (7-11)
South Point (11-8)
River Valley (8-12)
Western Latham (unranked)
Fairfield Leesburg (9-11)
Trimble (12-8)
Gallia Academy (7-13)

... End Table Teams ...

Fairland (13-7)
South Point (11-8)
Eastern Pike (10-9)
Nelsonville York (5-15)
New Lexington (8-12)
Belpre (7-13)
Circleville (4-16)
North Adams (5-13)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (8-12)
Adena (unranked)
Reedsville Eastern (17-2)
Western Pike (unranked)
Portsmouth West (unranked)
Paint Valley (10-9)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Portsmouth ? #1? ... not sure you can put the Trojans of Coach Collins anywhere BUT #1 to start the season - returning 5 of there top 7 players from a final four team? don't even go there - they're #1 to start the season, the top spot is theirs to keep or lose ... Dion McKinley,Wayne Evans, Mason Jordan, Zaide Whitley, Seth Batchett seniors who have been to the SHOW and want to go back ... the BIG question mark for Portsmouth will be whether they have anyone who can handle the ball under pressure, anyone who can push the ball in transition, anyone who can put the ball in the hands of Mckinley,Evans where they can get get it done offensively ... is that person to be Whitley? started the season last year injured, this go around he will be healthy ... the potential is there ... time will tell if all the pieces are there for another post season run ...

... Chillicothe ? #2? could have gone either way with Chesapeake BUT I looked at the "potential" of Zach Johnson and the "potential" inside domination of now senior Malik London ... obviously 2 players do not a TEAM make HOWEVER when one of the players is 6-8, athletic, "potentially" dominant on the inside at BOTH ends of the floor ... I think it was a good preseason spot for the Coach Kelloughs boyz ... the cast of characters MUST be developed BUT with Johnson and London time is on the Cavs side ...

... Chesapeake ? #3? again could have very easily been in the 2 spot ... Coach Davis has another outstanding lineup ... Austin McMaster - might be the POY Below the Line this season => yeah, he's that good at both ends of the floor, inside/outside, offense/defense AND at 6-5 or 6-6 a wingspan that makes him play even bigger ... I look for Javon Thompson to step up offensively for the 'peake along with senior PG Patrick Hentz ... Hentz will handle/distribute the ball AND be in double figures offensively ... Coach Davis needs quality minutes from Eric Kennedy/Brandon Noble/Nate Jones and some of the other juniors (Walters/Lindsey/Duttfield) ... the Panthers will be looking to move up not down all season ...

... Logan Elm? #4? hey I have that much respect for Coach Stiverson and his staff AND the Braves play DEFENSE!!! the Stiverson defensive RULE of holding an opponent to less than 50 points means something , this is engrained in the Red/White players at all levels, the "bump and slide" man to man D ... I don't even have to name names because it doesn't matter who is on the floor - they WILL play D or they won't play ... I look for more offensive production this season for LE , last season the Braves played the D BUT had a tough time coming up with their own 50+ ppg at the offensive end of the floor ... Blake Riffle/Eli Pritchard/Anthony Vagnier will have to be the nucleus for the Braves ... looking forward to seeing some of the youngsters step up, fill the shoes of Braves past ... will get to see LE in action vs my Purple in a scrimmage format in a week or so, we'll see first hand how the offense looks for the Braves ...

... Ironton? #5? ... Coach LaFon plays everyone who dresses, the managers and even some guys out of the first row in the stands <so it seems anyway> ... okay he plays a lot of bodies ... the Tigers I'm sure will be playing a schedule heavy with "foreign" teams from across the river ... look for IHS to be led by Mr. Intensity Zac Carter at PG and Trey Fletcher in the paint , both OUTSTANDING and BOTH only juniors <he types shaking his head> wow ... add to that pair more of that outstanding junior class talent - Nick Culbertson, Trevor White and Senior (lone senior!!!) Nolan Johnson ... the Tigers have the goods for sure to move UP the Elite 8 rankings with pressure on the ball defense, an offense which looks to make you pay for every mistake scoring out of transition ... this season the Tigers MIGHT just be able to play in the half court as well with the Carter/Fletcher combination ... the "potential" is there ...

... Eastern Brown? #6? ... it's all about "potential" again BESIDES EB has THE tallest coaching staff in Southern Ohio!!! ... Coach Beucler is one of those coaches that every parent wishes their sons had as a coach - coaches the entire 32 minutes winning or losing ... emphasizes solid defense ... EB struggled offensively last season BUT will be battle tested and laden with seniors this season ... led by Jordan "Max" Payne lets add Conner Purdin, Brandon Belcher, (jr) Chase Lawson, Daniel Faul, Brett Stout, (jr) Josh Boudreau => ALL will need to step up offensively for EB to reach their "potential" ...

... Warren? #7? ... Coach Maddox & staff will need to replace some big shoes inside and out this season (Grant Venham/Austin Cunningham/Jon Mitchell)... the Warriors have tons of upside going into this season with the likes of Dylan Leffingwell (jr) , Tyler Ward, Jeremy Hastie, Josh Winland, Austin Henthorn, Jace Knost, Bradley Proctor making up the senior group supported by Coach Duckworth's boyz from last season's JV squad sophs Evan French/Reese Patton BOTH WILL BE IN THE LINEUP for big minutes ... add Evan Yabs/Chas Miller (strong) et al ... should be one of the deepest squads ever for Coach Maddox ... more importantly one of the best TEAMS as well ... don't be surprised to see WHS move UP the rankings AND give PHS/CHS a run for the SEOAL crown ...

... Huntington? #8? (Last yr, 9-5, 13-8)- The Huntsmen have a new coach in Travis Rinehart, who will bring intensity and fire to fill in where Coach Uhrig left off. There won't be much of a drop off in passion, if any. They return Dylan Gragg(17.3 and 8.5 rpg in his 2 varsity seasons) who dominates on the inside and point man Bryce Vickers(10.9 ppg, 30 3's, 3.1 spg) add a supporting cast of Jacob Kellough/Brian Hall both sophs. Look for the Huntsmen to be THE team to dethrone Piketon in the SVC this season ...

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

Post by ovcfan12 »

Fairland is way to low

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... SEOAL Menu of Games in the first WEEK THAT IS of the season ...

Chillicothe

@ Canal Winchester ..... 12/6
@ Dayton Stivers ...........12/10

Gallia Academy

vs Rock Hill ....12/3
@ Fairland ......12/6
vs Chesapeake..12/9
@ Athens..........12/10

Jackson

@ Greenfield McClain...12/2
@ Wheelersburg ..........12/6
vs River Valley .............12/9

Logan

vs Bloom Carroll ........ 12/6
@ Newark .................. 12/10

Portsmouth

vs South Webster .......... 12/6
@ South Point ................ 12/9
@ Ironton ...................... 12/10

Warren Local

vs Meigs ........... 12/3
@ Athens .......... 12/6
@ Belpre ........... 12/9

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Fan1990 ... reading good things about the Fairland ball club! ... you may be right about them starting out too low on the PreSeason Rankings ... the committee of one - me - will be keeping a close eye on FHS for sure ... keep the Dragons on the front page of SEOPs with names, the world famous "Napkin Stats" that way FHS is on the radar from the get go ...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

will keep our fingers and toes crossed as well, along with some prayers heading your way!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Watched Fairland tonight for nearly 3 quarters...good size and a quick guard. They'll win a good portion of their games I'd guess.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... I respect your input - FHS will have a bullet beside their name in the early weeks of the season for sure ... thanks ... hope all is going well for you going into this season ... looking forward to all of the info your bring to the table ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... The preview schedule has changed I believe ... If your wanting to see Warren play - you will have to be their at 3:45 ... Should be an interesting match-up though versus Federal Hocking.

The first game is worth watching as well with Wellston (a sleeper in the Ohio Division) versus Southern (the favorite in the Hocking.)

run-n-gun
Varsity

Post by run-n-gun »

I also believe Fairland is way too far down. They should move up quick.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... keep in mind the Basics for SEOPs superiority as a basketball sports forum :

1. We ALL "Agree to Disagree" ...
2. Support YOUR team/players/coaches with facts ...
3. Support ALL teams/players/coaches Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line
4. When reporting on games please GIVE the score #justsayin
5. ALWAYS throw in a world famous "Official/Unofficial" Napkin Stat

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”