Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 1

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 1

Post by pfloyd »

... a great opening weekend of hoops in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... showcasing 8 games with teams from Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line the Zane Trace Tip Off Classic was once again the place to be to catch a glimpse of teams in the area ... great hoops and hospitality are the norm for the classic - great job ZT once again ... pfloyd's committee of one - me - DID make the trip to watch the hoops action - a little early from surgery BUT it was worth being uncomfortable to see Piketon, Logan Elm, Vinton County, Westfall, Greenfield McClain, Huntington, West Union, Eastern Brown, Lynchburg Clay,Bloom Carroll, Lucasville Valley, Hillsboro, Alexander, Zane Trace and Fairfield/Leesburg ... the committee just has to SEE the teams to be fair to the teams/players/coaches ! - that's just me ... looking forward to another great week of action with more quality teams taking the lid off their seasons - Portsmouth, South Webster, Chesapeake, Manchester to name a few ... also we are being privileged to be able watch a day long event of great high school hoops all in one location - OU Convocation Center - the Holzer Invitational Saturday Dec 11th :

9:00am Reedsville Eastern vs Oak Hill (Girls)
10:45am Nelsonville-York vs Huntington Ross
12:30pm Reedsville Eastern vs Manchester
2:15pm Alexander vs Pickerington Central (Girls)
4:00pm Alexander vs Zane Trace
5:45pm Blanchester vs Ironton
7:30pm Logan Elm vs Waverly
9:15pm Vinton County vs Dover

... at $7.00 for the day - that covers the entire menu of games - you can't beat it ... looking forward to seeing Manchester/Ironton/Waverly/Reedsville Eastern/Nelsonville York for the first time while Logan Elm/Vinton Co./ZT/Alexander/Huntington I'll see for the second go around ... see you at the Convo in the Cheap Seats !!!

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week"end" #1

1. Chillicothe (1-0) ... the Cavs opened the 2010-11 campaign the same as last season by knocking off D1 Xenia 65-61 ... CHS was led by 6-7 Jalen Ragland's 34 points (5 treys) while getting support from 6-9 Malik London's 13 pts/6 blks ... the Cavs as a team shot 49% from the floor with a major stat being the 12/15 from the FT line that will make it hard on opponents down the stretch in big games ... other scorers Zach Johnson 6 pts/Issac Beverly 8 pts/ Tyler Manion 4 pts ... the Trans-Serbian Orchestra 6-6 Miloje Djacic is out with an injury ... Cavs host Dayton Stivers at the Hat this week for their only game for the week that is ...

2. Ironton (1-0) ... the Fighting Tigers entertained one of those foreign teams from across the river in Ashland HS ... I'town ended up being not so pleasant hosts as IHS put a beat down on AHS 93-73 in their home opener ... Coach Lafon's Tigers was led by sophomore Zac Carter's 35 points (15/21 from the field) ... the IHS TEAM shot a blistering 63% for the game ... a quote from Ashland's head coach says it all for opponents of the Fighting Tigers the rest of the season , "There's nobody in our region that has that kind of quickness", and (that) "strong or physical" ... Trey Fletcher 6-5 soph. had a double double 14 pts/11 rbs , he was backed up by Travis Elliott's 24 pts (9/9 from the floor), Malcolm Morton adding 10 pts. ... looking forward to being at the Convo this coming weekend to see I'town take on Blanchester at 5:45 pm ...

3. Chesapeake (0-0) ... Coach Davis' troops open this week vs Gallia Academy (0-1)

4. Portsmouth (0-0) ... the Trojans will travel to South Webster (0-0) to play the Jeeps Tuesday night , before taking on South Point (1-0) Friday evening ...

5. Warren (1-0) ... the Warren Warriors of Coach Maddox went on the road to take on Meigs from the TVC ... Austin Cunningham's 20 points paced the Warren to a 67-52 season opening "W" ... Venham 15/Knost 10 was enough support to put WHS at 1-0 heading into the first full week of hoops action - Warren stay on the road with a BIG game vs undefeated Fort Frye (2-0) before traveling to Athens to take on the Bulldogs of Coach Skinner (1-0) ...

6. Piketon (1-0) ... the Red Streaks were the class of the ZT Tip Off Classic as they soundly defeated (0-2) Greenfield McClain 65-28 ... Evan Legg paced Coach Lisath's Streaks with 27 pts with plenty of support as soph. Craigen Moore chipped in 15 pts. ... tough pressure defense was the key for PHS as they took a 30 point lead in the 3rd period vs GM that was never closed ... Piketon will enjoy home cooking with 2 tough contests Huntington HS Tuesday night followed by a talented Westfall HS team Dec 10 ...

7. Peebles (1-0) ... the Indians of Peebles didn't miss a beat from last season as they opened by blistering Southeastern by 40 ... 89-49 ... Peebles was paced by Andy Countryman's 29 points, Tyler McFarland 19, Blake Justice 17 ... the only game on the menu for the week that is for the Indians is a Friday nighter vs Fairfield/Leesburg (0-1) ... the question of the week is "will Fairfield be with or without leading scorer Chris Cox?" who was injured in FHS opener ...

8. Washington CH (1-0), Logan Elm (1-0), Waverly (0-1), Athens (1-0) , Manchester (1-0)

Treehugger Wannabe's

Oak Hill (1-0)
South Webster (0-0)
Eastern Brown (1-0)
Vinton County (1-0)
Unioto (1-0)
Wheelersburg (0-0)
Huntington (1-1)
Wahama (0-0)
Circleville (1-0)
Marietta (1-0)
Hillsboro (1-1)
Westfall (1-0)
Logan (0-0)
South Point (1-0)
Fairfield Union (0-1)
Lucasville Valley (0-2)
Trimble (1-0)
Rock Hill (1-0)
Gallia Academy (0-1)
Reedsville Eastern (1-0)
WhiteOak (0-1)
Federal Hocking (0-0)
Fairland (1-0)
Eastern Pike (1-0)
Greenfield McClain (0-2)
North Adams (1-1)
Belpre (0-1)
River Valley (1-1)
Southern (1-0)
Jackson (0-0)

Teams on the End Table

Waterford (0-0)
Alexander (0-2)
Nelsonville York (0-2)
Symmes Valley (0-1)
Wellston (1-0)
Portsmouth Clay (1-0)
Zane Trace (0-1)
South Gallia (1-0)
Meigs (0-2)
Green (0-1)
New Boston (0-1)

... there you have it as the committee of one see's it after the first weekend of action Below the Line ... teams fell, others moved up, some disappeared, some magically appreared ... if there are glaring issues feel free to bring them up ... oh yeh! I would be wrong in not bringing up ALL of the folks that are keeping us all informed with either websites or on-going threads about different leagues in Southern Ohio this season - it is awesome! TribeManiac10/jchitwood with SHL, 93Bulldog with the TVC , daniCalifornia continually gives us the rundown of the SVC teams ... if I have slighted anyone - I apologize BUT wanted to thank these folks for taking on a task that unless you have tried to keep up with hoops or any sport - records/stats/players/coaches - you have no idea the amount of work that goes into keeping everyone else informed ... great job guys, I thank you for all of the seopsters in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

philthyphil
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 1

Post by philthyphil »

Hey Pfloyd.....It's Malcom Morton for Ironton, not Marcus. Just an FYI.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

thanks! hard to read those mustard stained napkins sometimes LOL ...

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia was a end table team and they won. Now they aren't on your list, must be a typo. Just letting you know.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironton vs Blanchester at the Convo? Strange matchup.

Ironton big.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Westfall is 1-0...46-32 win over West Union

And it should be a good day of basketball at the Convo this Saturday. Those last two matchups are especially interesting.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Looks good once again. bman took care of my only comment I was going to make.

Huntington has a game on Friday night, what a quick turnaround to have to travel an hour down to Athens to play that 10:45 game. Gonna be a tough week for them.

Quick SVC preview for the Tuesday games:
Adena(0-1) @ Paint Valley(1-0)- Each team returns pretty much everyone from last season, Adena is coming off a tough loss at Circleville, while PV got a huge win on the road at North Adams. Should be a fun game to watch. I'll take PV by 8, but teams better get their licks in on Adena early, as they will be tougher in the 2nd half.

Huntington(1-1) @ Piketon(1-0)- Seems like this should be walk #1 out of 14 in the SVC for Piketon, but for some reason Huntington always, always plays them tough at least once a season. Huntington will hustle all night and if Piketon comes in sluggish, it could be a good ballgame. I don't see them being sluggish in their home opener though. Good matchup between Gragg and Brush underneath though. I'll say, Piketon by 13.

Zane Trace(0-1) @ Southeastern(0-1)- ZT gets a perfect remedy after Africentric, facing an SE team who is down their top 2 players(probably 2 of the top 7 in the league) Both teams faced juggernauts in their opening games, with SE dropping one to Peebles. They will be a scary team once they get everyone back and gel, but ZT should be too much in this game, ZT by 6.

Westfall(1-0) @ Unioto(1-0)- 2 schools that traditionally struggle away from home, both got big wins on the road(Unioto) and on neutrul(WF) Unioto returns a host of players from last season, while Westfall returns only a couple of players with any expierence at all at the varsity level. They did, however, win without their best player, Zak Smith, who should be back for this one. That will be the most interesting matchup for them. I'll take Unioto by 8.

I'll have a breakdown on Tuesday night for you, not sure where I'll be heading, but I'll have that game and more after. Keep up the great work!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... edited the Westfall record, not sure how I had them losing when I watched the game Saturday afternoon LOL ... also added South Gallia BACK onto the End Table List ... had them down on paper BUT somewhere between the paper and the puter they disappeared - must be those squirrels again ... thanks for keeping me "correct" everyone ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I92 ... I'm going to go out on a limb by saying that the "Ironton BIG" phrase will be used a lot this year LOL ...

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Except for Piketon, the SVC is average and below.

BuckeyeFan2011
Waterboy

Post by BuckeyeFan2011 »

Leesburg-Fairfield is without Chris Cox for four weeks. He has a fractured fibula, and strained MCL.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

BuckeyeFan2011 - hate to hear that about Chris Cox - when I sat behind him this past weekend at ZT you see the pain he was in from the injury and from not being on the floor with HIS team ... wishing him a full recovery ...

... some of the scheduled games for the Week that IS looks to be something out there for everyone :

Tuesday Dec. 7th

South Webster vs Portsmouth
Eastern Pike @ Lucasville Valley
Belpre @ South Gallia
Nelsonville York @ Amanda Clearcreek
Waterford @ Southern
Warren Local @ Fort Frye
Manchester @ Western Pike
Oak Hill @ WhiteOak
Gallia Academy @ River Valley
Logan vs Bloom Carroll
Alexander @ Vinton County
Piketon vs Huntington

Friday Dec 10th

1. Clay at New Boston
2. East at Green
3. Eastern at Western
4. Notre Dame at Symmes Valley
5. Minford at Oak Hill
6. Wheelersburg at Northwest
7. South Webster at West
8. Waverly at Valley
9. South Point at Portsmouth
10. Westfall at Piketon
11. Adena at Zane Trace
12. Paint Valley at Huntington
13. Warren at Athens

Saturday Dec 11th

14. Ironton vs Blanchester at the Convo Hoops Classic
15. River Valley at Meigs
16. Athens at Gallia Academy
17. Coal Grove at Symmes Valley
18. Waverly vs. Logan Elm at the Convo Hoops Classic
19. Zane Trace at Albany Alexander
20. Vinton County vs Dover at the Convo Hoops Classic

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Your going to find out quite a bit about the Athens Bulldogs starting this Friday Floyd -

1) They get a re-match with the tall/athletic/well coached Warren Warriors Friday ... (Yea, the Warriors got lucky in Logan last year in the sectional championship ... lol)

2) Follow Friday's show-down against Warren - with a trip to the river Saturday- to face off with another SEOAL foe; Gallia Academy.

3) End a 5-day 'brutal stretch of games' Tuesday against LEAGUE 'HOOPS' RIVAL Vinton County at McAfee Gymnasium on the Plains.

(BTW - To say this stretch is important to the Bulldogs Tournament draw is a gross understatement.) Warren, Athens, Gallia & Vinton County all reside in the same sectional.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93bulldog ... tough to have THESE kind of games so early in the season BUT as you said we will learn a great deal about this edition of the Bulldogs of Coach Skinner ... I watched Vinton Co. over the weekend at Zane Trace Tip Off invite - I was extremely impressed with the Vikings.10 ... they get it done at both ends of the floor NOT a lot of size and THAT may be a factor down the road for VC BUT for now/at least in the game vs Fairfield/Leesburg - the Vikes showed very few weaknesses - 4 different players hit threes (Remy, Batey, Ward,Chesser) as a team going 8/14 from downtown... the bench outscored the starters 44 to 31 on the game - no letdown in scoring when going to the bench ... the bench players showed a great deal of maturity when under pressure - I was impressed by Coach Comb's squad ... weaknesses? VC had 14 TOs in the first half but only 2 after intermission ... FT shooting has to be addressed - with the cutters/slashers/ pretty much ALL of the kids they have CAN handle the ball/get to the rim VC has to be able to knockdown the foul line freebies - they will be shooting a bunch of them this season ...

... anxious to see Athens Friday night to make some comparisons ... Warren will be tough to handle BUT if Coach Skinner's boyz can control the tempo, take care of the ball-treating every possession like gold, force WHS to beat them from the perimeter ... you never know ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm a bit worried about Warren Floyd - but if Athens can go (2-1) in that stretch (including the ALL IMPORTANT win over VC) - then this old Dog will be extremly pleased.

Vinton County bench: Last seasons' JUNIOR VARSITY battles between Athens (18-2) and Vinton (20-0) we're pretty awesome ... best junior varsity games I have seen - maybe ever - lol. Those two teams are now the players that make up the Bulldogs and Vikings (to go alongside Maffin, Ward, Lawhead, etc..etc...)

In terms of TVC importance - no game is bigger.
In the world that surrounds the infamous Pfloyd - the Warren game might have a slight edge.

Us little ol TVC-folks have to always prove our worth ya know - I mean, the TVC is just a bunch of Cow-towns filled with farmers and red-necks right?

:mrgreen:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yea true 93! We can barly read and write let alone play Basketball!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

OB!! give us SEOAL folks a little slack! - barely reading/writing and basketball ? oh we think you can do em all just not at the same time!!!! LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a few more games to monitor during the Week that IS :

Tuesday Dec 7th

Miami Trace @ Washington CH
Madison Plains @ Hillsboro
Greenfield McClain @ Clinton Massie

Friday Dec 10th

Hillsboro @ Washinton CH
Madison Plains @ Greenfield McClain

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

pfloyd wrote:OB!! give us SEOAL folks a little slack! - barely reading/writing and basketball ? oh we think you can do em all just not at the same time!!!! LOL ...

We are busted!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”