Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 1

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 1

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd...Legg scored his 1000th tonight in another solid showing. He finished with 24pts, 6 steals. Only played 3 quarters.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Jottings ... here is the Logan score again plus the JV results as well ...

Logan 56
Bloom Carroll 62

JV's

Logan JV 53
Bloom Carroll JV 56

... I was very pleased with the 1st game out by the Logan Varsity tonight! first year varsity head man Coach John Helber's troops showed great resolve/tenacity in making the home opener a game that could have gone either way ... the Chiefs were cold from the perimeter (5/20 from downtown) BUT kept battling vs the talented BC squad (favored by some to win the MSL this season) ... I like what I see in this group of Purple - no quit in them, 100% hustle for 4 quarters, no "I's" on the team - teams will have to bring their "A" game when playing this years group of Chiefs - Kenneth Buckler (12 pts), Kyle Guess (13 pts), Luke Miller (19 pts), Jared Rutter (12 pts) ...

... coaching staff will be looking to cut down on those first game TOs (22 TOs) ... Chiefs will be looking for more production in the paint as they ONLY got to the line 5 times on the night (3/5 FTs) ... lapses in rebounding hurt down the stretch ... Coach Helber has no one on the varsity that started from last years team - with that in mind there is a lot of upside that we as fans will see this season from the 2010-11 Purple ... great job Coach Helber/Coach Koons! your "product" on the court is a winner - looking forward to the Chieftains taking on Fairfield Union next Tuesday night at FU ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Finally heading home after seeing one full game and what amounted to another half of one. Full report on ZT/SE and Westfall/Unioto in about an hour. Two wild finishes!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Kelley ! please pass on my congratulations to Evan Legg (by the way one of the best pg in Southern Ohio the last 2 season hands down) ... great accomplishment ... always good to get a "W" vs those Huntsmen isn't coach - I read on one of the threads that Huntington had beaten the Streaks 8 out of the last 10 meetings? is that right?!! ...

... keep those Streaks rolling coach ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC! 3 OTs!!!! in that Unioto win over Westfall ... got more than your moneys worth in that one ... looking forward to reading your recap ... did Zac Smith play tonight? ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

fururebkstar!!!! give me some napkin stats on those Rebels ... 2-0 with tonights win over an athletic Belpre squad ... South Gallia making the committee of one - me - take notice!!! give us some names, scorers, rebounders, how are the Rebels getting off to the quick start this season??? ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'll start off with the 2nd game that I witnessed tonight.

Unioto(2-0) 79
Westfall(1-1) 72 in 3OT

Unioto was up 3, at the line with only 10 seconds left in regulation and missed both FT's that would've sealed it and WF's Neal Hegarty(game/career high, 21 pts) knocked down about a 24 foot trey to send it to OT #1. In OT#1, the Mustangs jumped out to a quick 4 point lead and Unioto had to chip away at it, finally got it down to 3 when Corbin Hill(career high 16pts) knocked down a 3 to send it to OT#2. In OT#2, Hegarty, Zak Smith(10pts), and Alek Stonerock(12pts) all scored for Westfall to take a 6 point lead and Unioto had to battle back once again. After that, grit and missed FT's got the Shermans one last chance, which ended with Brick Davis(19pts) at the FT line, down 2, with 2.2 left on the clock. Davis calmly knocked down both to send it to OT#3, where the Shermans would score 9 of the 11 points, with Hill knocking down 4 FT's to ice it. Christian Dunkle also added 17 points for Unioto.

Zane Trace 44
Southeastern 42

Now, for the game that I paid to see tonight. This was a game that featured a whole bevy of key players sitting out, 2 starters on each side. Started off very slow, with ZT up 6-4 at the end of one. Business definitely picked up in the 2nd, with ZT's Nate Gibson and Brandon Cox combining for 14 of the Pioneers' 17 points. SE's Steven Hall buried a half courter at the end of the half to keep it close at 23-22 ZT at the break.
ZT got out to a quick start in the 2nd half, but once again SE battled back to keep it to a 3 point game after 3, 31-28. SE took their 1st lead of the game at 32-31, but had ZT take it right back and start to pull away and that's when Nick Kellough turned it up for SE, scoring 8 of his 11 points from that point on. He tied it at 42 on a jumper with a little over a minute left, ZT calmly held onto the ball, before Gibson broke to the hole and was fouled with 24 seconds left. He calmly knocked down 2 FT's to push it to the final of 44-42. SE got a couple of good looks in the final seconds, but couldn't get either to fall. Very fun game to watch after the 1st quarter.
SE has a great young coach as well, coaches them up all night long and has them in the spots to make plays and as the season goes on, I see them making more and more of them.

Should be a good game when Southeastern travels to Unioto on Friday, as their top 2 player should be returning. Fun night of hoops for me to see tonight.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia starts 5 juniors. Levi Ellis led the rebels tonight in scoring with 17 points and 8 rebounds. Jaylon Nolan added 15 and 5 steals. Danny Matney had double double with 12 points and 10 boards. 3rd year starter Dalton Matney had 8 but was in foul trouble most of the night. Cory Haner had 7 points. John Johnson added 7 points and 7 rebounds.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

We have very balanced scoring. We never know where the offense is going to come from. That's a great thing to have. These boys have been a team for a very long time.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Did I overlook the SW-Portsmouth score? Didn't see it on here. I think it was SW 54-Ports 47.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Fairfield Union 58
Licking Valley 48

Pfloyd......looking forward to seeing you next tues. in the Falcon`s nest. Not sure what kind of game we will give the boys in purple if you only lost to BC by 6 in your first game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jeepmadness!!! wow - I knew the score all night AND THOUGHT I had already posted it - my mistake - biggdowgg pm's me last night as well giving me the score of the PHS loss and Jeeps BIG win - once again I thought I had already posted the score - I guess it takes whacking me in the head at least twice to get through this old mans skull ... I am totally sorry for the omission - no intention on my part to slight or diminish the SW win in anyway - it IS a BIG "W" ...

Portsmouth 47
JEEPS 54

... great way to start the season with a major "W" in the win column over a very talented Portsmouth Trojan ball club ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smeltzy ... congratulations to Coach Brusco on his first varsity W at Fairfield Union ... 1-1 start that could just as easily have FU sitting at 2-0 (OT loss to Nex Lex) ... should be a very entertaining game Tuesday night between the Purple of Coach John Helber and FU ... Logan is truly a TEAM oriented bunch this season - no stars per se BUT kids that get after it, will give Coach 100% on EVERY play ... a TEAM that the fans can/should get behind and support ALL season win or lose ... last night 4 of the 5 starters were in double figures vs a very good Bloom Carroll bunch ... Chiefs had the lead for a couple of possessions in the 4th quarter last night before BC made it a 2 possession game for most of the last 3 minutes ... for it being game #1 for Logan and #2 for BC - the Purple have every reason to be encouraged by their effort ... so! FU better bring it next Tuesday night the Purple.2010 is coming to town ... looking forward to making the trip up the highway - the folks at FU are great hosts ...

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Fairland suffered a disappointing loss to Huntington St Joe. 74-67

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

PFloyd, is Wahama in the Southeast District? As of a couple of years ago there were 72 total teams that made up the Southeast District and Wahama wasnt one of them.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

jimmy chipwood wrote:PFloyd, is Wahama in the Southeast District?
Being from WV I would suppose not.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Wahama is part of the TVC Hocking this season ... not a participant in the SE District as TribeManiac10 pointed out being one of those "foreign" teams from across THE river ... thought I should go ahead and include them in the rankings with their TVC affiliation ... WHS has good athletic programs - for a foreign team LOL ... Wahama was 13-1 in this past football season losing to Wheeling Central Cath. in the State Final A division ... basketball last season they finished 12-10 on the season ... with the athletes on their football team this season/playing bb I started them in the middle of the pack - easy for them to go up or down the list ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... Here is an very early TVC-report.

(Oh yea, BTW - you can find all records, standings, game results - even top individual scorers on the web site)

Vinton County (2-0) - In the name of former NFL head coach: Dennis Green "They are who we thought they were!" ... lol ... They win at the Z.T. Tip-off Classic and follow it up with a home victory over Alexander Tuesday. We'll find out what the Vikings are made of though when they play in the 'Prime Time' slot Saturday versus Dover at the Convo - and oh yea - they got a little ol match-up at Athens three days later.

Athens (1-0) - Gets to play Warren on Friday, at Gallia Academy on Saturday, and then has to face off against VC Tuesday night at McAfee Gymnasium.

HOCKING

Trimble (2-0) - Keep an eye on the 'under the radar' Tomcats Floyd. They went into the "Alley" and knocked off Alexander by the same margin as VC, who played the Spartans on their home court in McArthur. Trimble handled Miller Tuesday with 6-foot-7 center Noah Guthrie pouring in a game high 23 pts after scoring 24 in Albany last Friday. 6-foot-5 Tyler Davis chipped in with 17, which tells us the 'Cats have a pretty potent 1-2 combo under the basket.

South Gallia (2-0) - Who are they? I have no idea ... lol ... Caught em at the Preview and they looked to play pretty sound, fundamental basketball. Wins over Belpre (0-2) and St. Joe (0-2) probably isn't enough to send em up the charts just yet - but they get Wahama & Trimble next so lets see how the Rebels do over the next week.

Waterford (1-0) - The Wildcats are defintly in the 'sleeper' category - but after a thrilling 1-point victory AT SOUTHERN (a.k.a. Tornado Alley) - it was a monster win that quickly puts Waterford back on the map. They have great senior leadership with Levi Mclutcheon, Levi Porter, Chad Offenberger and company ... they could very well be in the mix for a Hocking championship at seasons' end.

Eastern (1-0) - Who the heck knows what Howie has up his sleeve - perhaps even he doesn't know ... lol ... They did kill Meigs 66-36 (The same team Warren beat 67-52 in Beverly Saturday) ... Its way to early to judge a Howie Caldwell led team - perhaps Friday's match-up with Fed Hock and a show-down with Manchester Saturday at the Convo will paint a better picture of the Eagles.

------------------------------------

BTW - on a side note Floyd ... If Athens goes 3-0 over their next three games ... I need a guarantee that the 'Dogs will move into the top 5! lol

Strength of schedule should provide enough reason for A-town to make that jump.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hillsboro got their 1st win last night over Madison Plains, 72-63 I believe was the final.

Not sure how noone has commented on Washington CH losing by 16 at home to rival Miami Trace. Not sure when the last time that Coach Shaffer would've lost to the Panthers anywhere, let alone at home. Very surprising score.

It was a good night of basketball in the SVC last night, with things shaking out about the way I(and many others) would've expected it to. Piketon dominating and 2 very good games between the middle of the pack. I look for that to be the story all year in the SVC, Piketon winning and everyone else battling it out for 2nd place. Look for 2nd in the SVC to have at least 4 losses and I wouldn't be surprised if they had as many as 6! As it seems that the entire league is very balanced outside of Piketon. Seems to be that the Piketon faithful have already gotten the Golden Ball ready for the Redstreaks if you look at some of the other topics on this forum. Not gonna say that that will put a bigger bullseye on their backs, because to be honest, everyone should be gunning for them anyways.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Hillsboro also beat Western Brown, so they're 2-1.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”