Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 ... ok! 1/2 a week ...

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #1 ... ok! 1/2 a week ...

Post by Ukfanatic »

Will be interesting to see Waverly move up the list. They are in my humble opinion better than a lot of the teams placed ahead of them but the good news is they play most of them so they will have a chance to prove it on the court. Starts Tuesday by playing Circleville at home.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ukfanatic wrote:Will be interesting to see Waverly move up the list. They are in my humble opinion better than a lot of the teams placed ahead of them but the good news is they play most of them so they will have a chance to prove it on the court. Starts Tuesday by playing Circleville at home.

I agree, Waverly is a sleeper and will surprise teams. They're always one of the more athletic teams in the SOC 2, they just need to figure out consistent scoring after Marquez.

pfloyd, fair drop for South Webster. Jackson is solid and athletic and deserved the win, especially when Zimmerman was something like 0-12 from the field. That, paired with both Blevins brothers in foul trouble resulted in a loss. I hope that loss humbled the Jeeps, as they have TONS of good opponents coming up in the next two weeks. South Point, Minford, Notre Dame, Wheelersburg, and Waverly. They need to end that stretch 3-2 or 4-1 to make some noise later in the season. Good news is, with that type of schedule, they'll definitely be tested by tournament time.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

I think for the most part the rankings look good. I would say that I think some of the SOC 2 schools are lower then they should be, but its early and time will tell. I also look for Waverly to be good, and maybe even compete for that league title. The Tigers have a good group of kids in their program. Same with Webster I see them bouncing back from the early loss and competing for that SOC title.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Good "stuff" guys ... I greatly appreciate the comments both for and against where I have teams ranked ... things ALWAYS work themselves out in the rankings over time ... 1 or 2 games don't make a season for sure ... the more teams I see the better handle on what each brings to the court and how their personnel stacks up vs one another in comparison ... keep all of the feedback coming .... throw in players names, why you feel that one team is better than another ... why you think I missed it on a ranking spot for your team - I've been doing this a long time I'm beyond being offended by being told I'm wrong LOL - just backup any comments with facts, napkin stats etc. ... I have zero problem with being wrong - we're talking about kids/teams/coaches working their butts off in practice and during game time - I WANT TO GET IT RIGHT ... I posted a pic on facebook of the pfloyd war room - 93bulldog replied "there's no purple !?" ... told him that I have to and try very hard to be impartial to ALL teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

... as I said I've been doing this for a long time - I have seen what the best coaches Southern/Southeastern Ohio have to offer - what they have put on the floor every year ... I respect the best of the best - I do give an edge to the better programs ! those that year in year because of the coaches that run a particular system/program - Logan Elm with Coaches Stiverson/Holbert , Warren with Coach Maddox, Portsmouth - Coach Collins, Chesapeake - Coach Davis , Eastern Brown - Coach Beucler , Coach Speed - Fairland, Coach Hoops - Unioto, Coach Combs - Vinton County, Coach Barrick - Eastern Pike, Coach Persin - Oak Hill , Coach Lafon - Ironton, Coach Howie Caldwell - Trimble, Coach Saunders - Symmes Valley ... these folks do it right - fundamental basketball at both ends of the court, defense , defense and more defense ... TEAM is emphasized ... ALL of these qualities win games and build a program ... if there is a tie breaker - Coaches courtside get the nod LOL ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Im starting to wonder if you think Racine broke off into the Ohio & floated down river? How about Jeff Caldwell, Floyd? You know, the coach of that team you have ranked 50-something. He's pretty good too my man. A younger, better looking version of Howie. ;)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Im starting to wonder if you think Racine broke off into the Ohio & floated down river? How about Jeff Caldwell, Floyd? You know, the coach of that team you have ranked 50-something. He's pretty good too my man. A younger, better looking version of Howie. ;)

... I'm sure missed a few others as well 93dog ... I was sitting here trying to rattle them off on 'puter while I was going through the 72 teams in my head LOL ... YES Coach Jeff Caldwell does it right too ! throw in Coach Kline at Nelsonville York as well ... lots of youngin's out there too who given the time will be on the list as well - Coach Cassidy at Circleville (coached in the Logan Elm system) ... Coach Eversole at FU has Coach Goodyear (LONG time Bloom Carroll assistant and head man at Circleville for couple of years) ... Western Pike has a great young coach whose name escapes me BUT he is in his 2nd year at Western and is doing it right with Defense and fundamentals - Coach Kyle Miller is it ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:Hocking division as I see it today.

1. Waterford
2. Southern
3. Trimble
4. Miller
5. Belpre
I have in my little mind Howie's crew taking 2nd over Southern ... not much size but I like the discipline, the intensity those kids play with AND they have good basketball talent to go with everyone being athletes ... with being undersized Howie will have them rebounding by committee ... their quickness will get a lot of boards, with a lot of boards they will pushing the ball the entire game ... you know me 93dog I like how Coach Caldwell gets it done - these kids will beat you with fundamentals - Howie will make sure of that and NO opponent will be as tenacious as these kids every night - teams better bring their "A" games to beat 'em ...

1. Waterford
2. Trimble
3. Southern
4. Miller
5. Belpre

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

glad to see my Gallia Academy Blue devils moving up the list. One game doesn't make a season. And they definitely made a lot of mistakes that they will have to improve on... But man did they look good Friday night. I am curious if they can back it up with 2 more solid games this week. This is no team like the blue devils have put on the court in quite a few years. You can tell the second they walk on the court. If they can really start valuing every possession they will be tough..... Can't believe they problems getting the ball to Loveday, He is seven feet tall throw it above rim height on the side of the basket he is on and let him go get it. Bet at least 10 of there 29 turnovers were unforced just making bad entry passes to the big guy. then probably another 5 or 6 just throwing the ball to a place on the court no one as at. You take those away and this game would of been very ugly.

EagleEye3
Riding the Bench

Post by EagleEye3 »

93Bulldog wrote:Im starting to wonder if you think Racine broke off into the Ohio & floated down river? How about Jeff Caldwell, Floyd? You know, the coach of that team you have ranked 50-something. He's pretty good too my man. A younger, better looking version of Howie. ;)

Always great to see Coach Jeff Caldwell getting some much deserved respect. We will see a improved Southern team this year.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

So here is my early season case for Waverly. They have scrimmaged Fairland your number 1 overall team and played with them step for step. They have scrimmaged eastern brown, porstmouth, Washington court house, Miami Trace and Adena and looked as good or in most cases better than all of them. They looked 20 points better than Clay at the preview. I watched Western play Manchester and they are better than them right now. Maybe I am crazy and biased but I think much like football they are gonna be one of the better teams in the area. Good early test for them tonight playing Circleville at home.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson 69
@ River Valley 50

****I typed this while humming the theme song of the Jeffersons****
Last edited by Ironman92 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Oak Hill over Symms Valley 73-29

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

TVC results 12/6

Alexander - 49
Marietta - 57

Meigs - 46
Warren - 60

Wellston - 47
Eastern Pike - 61

River Valley - 50
Jackson - 69

Trimble - 64 ... Tyler Slack with 30 points, 10 rebounds
Belpre - 57

Southern - 61
Fed Hock - 25

Eastern - 40
South Gallia - 39

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:TVC results 12/6

Alexander - 49
Marietta - 57

Meigs - 46
Warren - 60

Wellston - 47
Eastern Pike - 61

River Valley - 50
Jackson - 69

Trimble - 64 ... Tyler Slack with 30 points, 10 rebounds
Belpre - 57

Southern - 61
Fed Hock - 25

Eastern - 40
South Gallia - 39
Fed Hock with 4 games in 5 days?! That's crazy scheduling to start the year!

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

Green 61
@ Rock Hill 58 OT

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Pointers looking good.....This team is well coached, they play hard, are Athletic, and go 10 deep....Every player knows their role....... Its a huge advantage when u can use so many players and keep players fresh.......

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mrwonderful wrote:Pointers looking good.....This team is well coached, they play hard, are Athletic, and go 10 deep....Every player knows their role....... Its a huge advantage when u can use so many players and keep players fresh.......

Very solid, yes. But boy did they steal one last night! Jeeps have the ball with 3 seconds left and lose it in the air on a non-foul call, right in the hands of a SP player who hits a 40 foot heave as time expires.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

They actually had the game in hand up 2 with the ball with something like 45 sec to go and threw it away...Then had ball again game tied and got a contested layup blocked with 9 seconds to go when they should have took a last sec shot for win or overtime..... I thought South Point dominated 2nd half and at one time late in 3rd had a chance to go up 9 points 2 different times and turned ballover... South Webster is a good team...They played really hard also

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Logan starts out the 2nd half vs Licking Heights on the road ... 45-12 Logan ... I'm going to put this one in "W" column ...

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Yeah, Logan pretty dominant in that one!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”