Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #7

Post by 93Bulldog »

Well, I may not bet 'the house' on Athens and Warren making it ... but I'd lay something down on both if I were forced to pick two teams from Logan ... lol

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:Well, I may not bet 'the house' on Athens and Warren making it ... but I'd lay something down on both if I were forced to pick two teams from Logan ... lol
Maybe you will change your mind by the time the tournament starts :) If VC can take care of Alex and Piketon this week, the game in Athens could be the biggest factor not only in TVC play but the sectional as well.. unless they draw prior to that game. Why don't you figure that one out Dog, I'm curious as to when it is.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Dundas wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Well, I may not bet 'the house' on Athens and Warren making it ... but I'd lay something down on both if I were forced to pick two teams from Logan ... lol
Maybe you will change your mind by the time the tournament starts :) If VC can take care of Alex and Piketon this week, the game in Athens could be the biggest factor not only in TVC play but the sectional as well.. unless they draw prior to that game. Why don't you figure that one out Dog, I'm curious as to when it is.
Next weekend's games and possibly the Tuesday games (2 weeks from tomorrow) will be included. Coaches will upload their information by Wednesday the 11th and voting is on Thursday and Friday, due by Midnight. So, ideally, coaches can wait until after games on Friday the 13th to make their final picks.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… the Logan Sectional "favorites" (at least by qualification to represent the Logan Sectional at the Convo) has to be :

(not in any order - that to be decided by coaches)

Athens
Warren
Vinton County
Logan Elm

… you have to remember that the post season is "one and done" " survive and advance" … last week a 3 win Fairfield Union hit 13 three pointers to beat an 8 win Logan squad … FU plays in the basketball rich MSL … add to the mix a Sheridan squad who clearly almost annually flies under the radar playing in a MVL league with state ranked John Glenn and Tri Valley while playing a strong hoops schedule …

… going to be fun to watch this sectional action as only 2 move on to the Convo district play …

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Hoopshothead Gage wears 23 and his last game was against RV and he scored 27 points. We play Rock Hill on tues and I might have more info on Gage.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

peake71 wrote:Hoopshothead Gage wears 23 and his last game was against RV and he scored 27 points. We play Rock Hill on tues and I might have more info on Gage.
Prayers. Hoping for good news.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

prayers from Pa, hope the young man is going to be fine!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I know there a many who read this thread each week … I also KNOW how supportive the SEOPs family has been for me in my battle with cancer therefore I have no problem in asking my fellow SEOPs posters to give up just as many positive thoughts and prayers for Gage Rhodes , #23 , leading scorer for Coach Davis' Chesapeake Panthers … I don't know the specifics of the health issue that has Gage now sidelined for the rest of the season but our good friend from Chesapeake - peake71- mentioned that Gage was having tests run at the Cleveland Clinic … that in itself tells me that Gage and his family NEED much support …

… when I was at my lowest physically and mentally from MY treatments for cancer - I would flip on SEOPs to see posts of support from many of you and others I didn't know - it gave ME strength to know that so many people were in my corner, that I wasn't fighting alone - it gave me strength, picked me up and gave me a kick in butt when I needed it … I ask you all to do the same for Gage & his family … pray for both physical and mental strength to fight the battle he has no choice but to take on … pray for positive outcomes on the tests that will show what Gage must compete against - the opponent …

… Gage & the Rhodes family - just as the Chesapeake community has and will continue to rally around you for support … I and the rest of the SEOPs sports community WILL be here for support as well …

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Two things......thanks peake71 for clarifying Gage's #.....I knew that was him......he plays without fear and I hope and pray for the best of outcomes with his testing and battle he may or may not have to face.......that mentality without fear could be his greatest characteristic moving forward.......my thought are with him, his family and the chesapeake bball community......

Second thing......you have overrated SG.......yes .......teams 21-28 could beat them on most nights.......strength of schedule should tell you that......I am a SG fan and an even bigger Brayden Greer and Larry Howell fan......but this team is not a top 20 team.....right behind RV is where they belong..... :lol:

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Pfloyd you going to be able to make it to Sciotoville friday?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

How did Logan-Sheridan do Tuesday evening?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jottings …

Logan 45
Sheridan 48 OT

Logan JV won in Triple OT

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

Dundas wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Kind of makes tomorrows game between Athens & Warren even more important. Not only will they get the No. 1 at Logan - but will avoid Unioto (No. 1 at SE) until the district finals. Either way, the chance of Unioto facing either Athens or Warren in the first Rd at the Convo are pretty good. Not an easy 1st Rd match-up for the Tanks by any means.
I love how you totally disregard VC :)

That's because Vinton County is irrevelant!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

PFloyd I've yet to lobby for Warren in the course of this seasons rankings but after the dismantling of Athens I feel the Warriors are #2 in next weeks edition. I'm sure to get lots of disagreement but looking at the body of work (Wins over Portsmouth, Logan, Fort Frye and Athens) all quality wins over teams ranked at or near the top of the PFloyd Poll and if Fort Frye were in our district no doubt would be highly ranked as well.
Give some love to THE BIG BAD BLUE!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan has played Unioto and Warren and was in both games. In the Unioto game we dropprd the game and lot earlier than the Warren game. We also had a better chance of a win against Warren.

keeping an eye on these two team from start to now it looks like Warren has improved the most. Unioto has stayed about the same. If both team continue how they have been playing I would give the edge to Warren if they meet.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 77
Athens 45 a final

… how long did it take for this "regular" season game to get played ??? 1 year ? I know that it was scheduled then rescheduled and rescheduled 2 , 3 , 4 times ??? with Mother Nature getting the "W" each time … last night Mother Nature must have nodded off because Athens vs Warren finally DID get into the record books !!! I agree with a comment 93dog made before this one tipped off - that it just didn't matter about the outcome THIS IS WHAT HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS is ALL about !!! 2 quality TEAMS playing each other - Athens ranked #3 in D2 in the state … 15-0 Athens … vs Warren - one of the most consistently good basketball programs in SEOhio … coached by one of the deans of coaching in SEO Blane Maddox … it IS what high school hoops is all about ! in the Warrior Dome, where the doors opened at 5 pm and the stands for the home folks were packed by 5:08 ! the game? it was going to be the bonus - as the atmosphere created by these 2 teams keeps me coming back every Tuesday, Friday , Saturday to watch high school hoops somewhere …

… the papers have already put up their rundowns of the quarter by quarter description as to what happened on the court - I'm not even going to try to top those recaps … I'm a strange bird really - I don't just go to games and watch them I go into the games almost like the coaches - I have this game plan in mind for both teams - what does each team need to do to get the W both offensively and defensively … I watch the game, do my napkin stats then breakdown the game as to how each team did executing their game plan … last night Warren was the better TEAM on the court … last night Warren was able to execute their game plan … to near perfection … the MO for beating Athens is not a secret : take the ball out of Griffin Lutz's hands … make ALL of the other players handle the ball, make ALL of the other players have to make decisions WITH the ball … finally you have to get to the Athens bench - take Griffin Lutz, Adam Luehrman, Ryan Luehrman, Joe Burrow (one of or more than one of) out of the game via foul trouble … if you are able to execute any ONE of these you have the best chance to be in the game and have a chance to get a W … NOW Athens had played 15 games ALL wins up to last night game and NOT one of their opponents had been successful in getting a W … What did Warren do differently ??? Execution … Warren goes 9 deep without any drop off in performance … 9 equally quick players … 9 ball handlers … scorers inside and outside … defensively able to pressure an opponent for 32 minutes - no let up … last night Warren with a game plan as described played Athens who ran into the Perfect Storm so to speak as not only did Warren take the ball out of Griffin Lutz's hands and force others to handle the ball , the Warriors were able to also get one of the outstanding 4 for Athens in foul trouble - Griffin Lutz boom ! 2 keys to a Warren W wrapped into one … with GL on the bench it forced everyone else to handle the ball, make decisions with the ball resulting in 29 Athens TOs … 20 of the TOs were converted into points for the Warriors … game over - Warren didn't have to hit the 3 ball to win, didn't have to attack the Athens zone offensively . Warren did what they are comfortable in doing playing transition basketball … Warren 77 Athens 45 a final …

… the turning point of the game : PG Griffin Lutz being a non-factor due to foul trouble … the key to the Warriors success ALL started with Lutz's opposite number on the Warren side PG Aaron Mazurkiewcz … all Maz did was do what a PG is supposed to do - handled the ball, distributed the ball to players in the places on the court where they could be effective with the ball - perfect … how about this Pfloyd Official/Unofficial Maz Napkin Stat Line for last night : 8 points ( 6 points above his average) 6 assists … 6 rebounds … 6 steals … 4/4 from the FT line … defensively he harassed , got his hands on basketball, he was the catalyst for the WHS Defense … great game by Maz & Co at both ends of the floor …

… Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Athens …

Scoring … Joe Burrow 12, Ryan Luehrman 9, Adam Luehrman 9, Griffin Lutz 6, Sam Vander Ven 6, Nick McDaniel 2

3-Pointers … 5/21 … Burrow 2, Vander Ven 2, A. Luehrman 1

FT's … 11/13

TOs … 29 … 12(1st qtr)… 4 (2nd)… 7 (3rd) … 6 (4th)

Where do the Athens Bulldogs go from here? Burrow, Adam & Ryan Luehrman, Griffin Lutz, Sam Vander Ven are winners - winners know that winning/succeeding requires work, requires looking at past losses and even wins and seeing where TEAM needs to improve … how do WE handle the fact that WE have to have Griffin Lutz on the floor for 32 minutes? I see GL trying to throttle back a little KNOWING how valuable he is to the success of the Bulldogs … Bulldog success in the post season lies squarely on GLs shoulders …

Pfloyd's Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring … Blake Kidder 24 , Michael Hall 16, Kyler Dennis 11, Drew Henthorn 10, Aaron Mazurkiewzc 8, Seth Hall 3, Luke Drayer 2, Bishop Ford 2, Trevor Welch 1

3 Pointers … 3/11 … Michael Hall 1, Drew Henthorn 1, Blake Kidder 1

FTs … 24/31 … at one point the Warriors were 17/19 - outstanding … just what the doctor ordered for a BIG Game …

TOs … 18

… I have to believe that TEAM execution was the BIG winner last night … at both ends of the floor the game plan was executed to perfection - Coach Maddox had to have gone into the locker room after the game read through the key points in the game plan - checked them all off and wrote in great big letters PERFECT ...

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

awesome recap, I feel as tho I was there, great job pfloyd, and congrats to the Warren Blue for the V!

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

I think you hit on the biggest key. THE BENCH. Athens has quality guys, no doubt. With the other guard not coming out this season, Athens just did not have much to go to off the bench. Meaning no disrespect to the Ahtens bench. Just exactly as you said, no drop off nine deep. Looking forward to the post season and hope these two meet again. Lutz is the guy that makes it all click for the Bulldogs and is a fine point man, luck to the Bulldogs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Auburntgrfan wrote:I think you hit on the biggest key. THE BENCH. Athens has quality guys, no doubt. With the other guard not coming out this season, Athens just did not have much to go to off the bench. Meaning no disrespect to the Ahtens bench. Just exactly as you said, no drop off nine deep. Looking forward to the post season and hope these two meet again. Lutz is the guy that makes it all click for the Bulldogs and is a fine point man, luck to the Bulldogs.

Aubruntgrfan … I totally agree Griffin Lutz IS an outstanding PG … not many around who can get into the paint and to the rim as he can … totally enjoy watching GL play the game … he can be on my team any day of the week … imo he HAS to realize just how important he is to the TEAM - without him on the floor EVERYONE else has to do "something" they aren't comfortable with doing … when you remove GL's ability to penetrate Athens becomes just another team with GL on the floor? Athens is capable of beating anyone they play - he is the motor that makes the Bulldogs run …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… looks like the Pfloyd tour will be rolling on Rt 22 toward Roundtown tonight to take in the continued "making of a TEAM" - the Logan Elm Braves of Coach Stiverson … I've seen the Red & White a number of times this season at different points in the season - every time I've watched LE has shown improvement in ALL areas … the last time in a 55-61 loss to the Athens Bulldogs great strides were seen at the offensive end - more confidence shown by the role players shooting the ball … I've since been following the box scores for LE - the offense IS scoring points high 50's into the mid to upper 60's and even a 70 point outburst … the defense has been there and continues to be there saw where LE held Liberty Union to 22 points … looking forward to see ALL of the components of TEAM tonight as the Braves look to avenge the last second loss at home to Circleville 33-34 … I'll give a full rundown tonight after I get back to the Hocking Hills …

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”