2014 Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Final Editi

Post by 4thgoal »

THE GOVENOR wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:
THE GOVENOR wrote:I agree....it was very frustrating after watching the glass get slapped on 2 CG layups with nothing called.
What did you want called? Slapping the backboard while in an attempt to block a shot is not a violation.

With the ball on the rim you can still slap the glass?? Just wondering!!
Yes, as long as it was an attempt to block the shot.

THE GOVENOR
All State

Post by THE GOVENOR »

That don't seem right...how could you block a shot with the ball sitting on the rim?? One of them was in the progress of a layup,but the other not so much.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

THE GOVENOR wrote:That don't seem right...how could you block a shot with the ball sitting on the rim??
I agree with you, but if the referee feels the player who slaps the backboard did so while attempting to block the shot (even if late), there is no call. The backboard is not considered part of the cylinder....only the rim and net so the backboard is outside of the basket interference rules (even though the backboard is connected to the rim). Maybe a licensed official or coach on here can shed more light on this, but this is how it has been explained to me.

THE GOVENOR
All State

Post by THE GOVENOR »

4th n Goal wrote:
THE GOVENOR wrote:That don't seem right...how could you block a shot with the ball sitting on the rim??
I agree with you, but if the referee feels the player who slaps the backboard did so while attempting to block the shot (even if late), there is no call. The backboard is not considered part of the cylinder....only the rim and net so the backboard is outside of the basket interference rules (even though the backboard is connected to the rim). Maybe a licensed official or coach on here can shed more light on this, but this is how it has been explained to me.

WOW...I didn't know that. Thanks

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

This is one of the more misunderstood rule in Ohio HS Hoops..

From thee NFHS 2008-2009 Points of Emphasis.....

SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard" is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

bbjunky81 wrote:This is one of the more misunderstood rule in Ohio HS Hoops..

From thee NFHS 2008-2009 Points of Emphasis.....

SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard" is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
well said

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

on a POSITIVE NOTE …

The Eastern Reedsville Girls win the Girls D4 State Championship this afternoon !!!! I believe Mr. McP called this one in Week #1 of the Convo sitting in the Cheap Seats LOL as he asked the question as to which team in SEOhio had the best opportunity to win a State Title - Eastern Reedsville was his call AND it comes true on this day 3/15/14 :

Eastern Reedsville 49
Rosecrans 38 final

ImageImage

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:on a POSITIVE NOTE …

The Eastern Reedsville Girls win the Girls D4 State Championship this afternoon !!!! I believe Mr. McP called this one in Week #1 of the Convo sitting in the Cheap Seats LOL as he asked the question as to which team in SEOhio had the best opportunity to win a State Title - Eastern Reedsville was his call AND it comes true on this day 3/15/14 :

Eastern Reedsville 49
Rosecrans 38 final

ImageImage
Old 93Bulldog might be at the Varsity Club on Lane Avenue right now celebrating. :122245 Big congrats to the Eagles on winning a state championship.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pfloyd, we need an offseason Elite Eight here in the coming week to give us a guide leading into 2014-15.
Last edited by bman on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… it's officially over in SEOhio … basketball season has come to a screeching halt as Lucasville Valley loses to Bishop Ready in the D3 Regional Final tonight 33-38 … great season for the Indians … Congratulations to the coaches/team/fans of Lucasville Valley from the rest of us here in SEOhio …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman wrote:Pfloyd, we need an offseason Elite Eight here in the coming week to give us a guide leading into 2014-15.

… it is in the works !!! I started putting together the 2014-15 Preseason Elite 8 over a week ago … I will be putting it out in the next few days …

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:… it's officially over in SEOhio … basketball season has come to a screeching halt as Lucasville Valley loses to Bishop Ready in the D3 Regional Final tonight 33-38
THE 2013/2014 SEASON ENDED WITH A BANG FOR 93DOG!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Eastern Reedsville Girls win the Girls D4 State Championship this afternoon !!!! I believe Mr. McP called this one in Week #1 of the Convo sitting in the Cheap Seats LOL
Now, wait a sec ... week #1 at the Convo?

Try 93dog touting the Eastern Lady Eagles back in 2011 when the seniors were freshmen?
Or when you 'Convo junkies' made fun of me last year when I ditched the DII boys semi's to drive to Pickerington to watch Eastern/NC?

Mr. McP was a little late ... kind of like Pfloyd riding 93Dogs curtails with the Elite 8 ... LOL

(BTW ... Mr. McP's son is kind of a 'big wig' up in Columbus now Floyd for the OHSAA ... his seat yesterday was even better than mine ... him and Mr. McP will be good folks to keep on the 'friends list' going forward ... lol)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:

The Eastern Reedsville Girls win the Girls D4 State Championship this afternoon !!!! I believe Mr. McP called this one in Week #1 of the Convo sitting in the Cheap Seats LOL
Now, wait a sec ... week #1 at the Convo?

Try 93dog touting the Eastern Lady Eagles back in 2011 when the seniors were freshmen?
Or when you 'Convo junkies' made fun of me last year when I ditched the DII boys semi's to drive to Pickerington to watch Eastern/NC?

Mr. McP was a little late ... kind of like Pfloyd riding 93Dogs curtails with the Elite 8 ... LOL

(BTW ... Mr. McP's son is kind of a 'big wig' up in Columbus now Floyd for the OHSAA ... his seat yesterday was even better than mine ... him and Mr. McP will be good folks to keep on the 'friends list' going forward ... lol)

… the committee of one has convened and decided for the aforementioned (highlighted reason) we will give ALL of the credit to Mr. McP :mrgreen: however YOU have touted the Eastern Girls for 4 years as THE team to watch in SEOhio … AND when Mr. McP asked the question as to which team had the best chance to be a state champ YOU said the Reedsville Eastern Girls … I on the other hand only looked at the boys side and had the wrong answer …

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't want to throw the 'sexist pig' label out their, Floyd ... but it may be warranted ... LOL

Southeast district team ... in the state championship game ... but no Pfloyd? He was M.I.A. at the Schott? I believe Howie said you may have dropped from #2 fan (Trojan Dave being #1 because of his visible antics and unmatched enthusiasm) - to like #5 or something.

8)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:I don't want to throw the 'sexist pig' label out their, Floyd ... but it may be warranted ... LOL

Southeast district team ... in the state championship game ... but no Pfloyd? He was M.I.A. at the Schott? I believe Howie said you may have dropped from #2 fan (Trojan Dave being #1 because of his visible antics and unmatched enthusiasm) - to like #5 or something.

8)

… No you didn't …

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm thinking 93Bulldog MAY MOVE AHEAD of pfloyd in the 'southeasterohiopreps posters Elite 8'

93Dog DOES cover girls basketball, he does CALL their games, he DOES talk about them on the sportsfan on 970WATH ... and of course he DOES support them on the biggest stage ... lol

If only I threw my hat and jumped up and down - I may be able to surpass Trojan Dave!

I think once all the data is collected - and the powers at be find out Floyd skipped out on the girls championship game - he may be hanging out with his alma-mater at the bottom of the list.

8)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… 93dog !!!! wake up !!! it "ain't" going to happen !!!a bigger fan than trojandave??? - what are you thinking'??? … LOL … it's ALL about the love of the games, the sport, the kids, the fans, the coaches … the sport and the people is why I do this every year … I BELIEVE there are others like me out there - people who truly love the game & the kids/coaches … there isn't a gym I walk into all season that the atmosphere fails to put a smile on my face … there IS no place I would rather be than in a gym watching hoops … then after the game I HAVE TO tell the people what I saw - the words, the napkin stats , the imo's ALL just an extension of ME and how I feel about this game of hs hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… need to wrap up the Pre Season 2014-15 Elite 8 … in the next few days I will post the rankings to start the new season …

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

We need to do some kind of pfloyd Elite 8 tournament at the Convo to start the season, kind of like the preseason NIT. :122245

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”