Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 pm Waterford lost by 10 to Miller
Move the Mighty Falcons up!

:mrgreen:

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I’m definitely impressed with Miller’s win and Coal Grove’s win. (More so Miller’s win) I kind of expected Coal Grove to win.

I’ll have to wait and see how Portsmouth developes. Their first 3 games were a little light to begin with.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Coal Grove Hornets on a very quality win at Portsmouth.......I said well before the season began that SE District basketball fans had better keep an eye on CG. They are D4, have all their starters back, including Sam Angelo who came back to CG this year. The Hornets were competitive last year, and I knew that in D4 with the OVC being very strong this year that they would face probably the toughest schedule of any D4 school in the SE district. Getting to the regionals is a very realistic goal for the Hornets.

For my Trojans, a 3-1 start is very okay with me. Last night, PHS committed 20 turnovers and gave up 15 offensive rebounds to CG, and yet it still took a buzzer beater for the Hornets to get the win. Portsmouth led after 1 quarter, at halftime, and after 3 quarters, but CG rallied in the final frame to get the win. The turnovers absolutely killed the Trojans chances of pushing their biggest lead past 10 points. With the return match coming in late January, I don't look for my Trojans to make nearly as many turnovers the 2nd time around.

The Trojans haven't won less than 16 games in a season since 2013, and this year's edition should make it 5 years in a row to reach that mark.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Fairland blew out Ironton 76-39

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81, Pa Trojan, EagleEye3 ... thank you for the support on SEOPS ! glad that we have high school hoops fans who feel like the SEOPS Basketball Forum is worth the read every week with the Elite 8 ... you guys know that I have "thick" skin , the rankings inevitably will draw out arguments for and against the rankings themselves ... any rankings of any kind allow supporters of ALL teams to agree/disagree with what someone's opinion happens to be ... imo it makes the site worth the read as long as those who argue one way or the other are willing to agree to disagree while keeping their input away from attacks on kids, coaches, teams directly ... too easy to hide behind a poster id and bash those who ARE doing the best they can doing what they do whether that be playing the GAME, or coaching the GAME ... I applaud every kid and coach associated with the 72 teams I rank - they are all amazing with the time spent learning the GAME, playing the GAME and competing vs one another - it's the best time of the year in my book ...

IF you do it right - I like to think that I do - you will have friends from one end of the Southeast District to the other ... I have so many folks who are fans of the game, families of players, coaches who have shook my hand and thanked me for what I do for the kids, for high school hoops in SEOhio - it makes me feel good to know that we are doing it right and are appreciated by the important people - coaches, players & families of those players who are all important to those parents ...

... I love watching high school basketball - it's that simple ... I was sitting at Gallia Academy doing what I do ... at half time I'm checking scores on my phone when I get a tap on my shoulder - Landon Carroll from Oak Hill is standing there, Landon sits down , we chat about the Oaks season, a little about the scrimmage I watched at Oak Hill with PHS, Warren & Oak Hill ... I had met Landon last season along with his Dad , the young man had just finished playing at RG with the Oaks , just passing through checking out Gallia & Jackson ... he saw me, wanted to say hello talk hoops, talk about how good he feels about his Oaks & his teammates ...THAT'S why I do what I do - kids like Landon Carroll ... last year I made my now annual trek to Chesapeake to watch the Beasts of the Southeast tourney , Eastern Brown has been scheduled each of the years I have attended ... I again was doing what pfloyd does keeping napkin stats in the cheap seats , and again I look up to see a player from Eastern Brown - Heath Unger ... Heath graduated the year before, his senior year being the 2015-16 season ... he just wanted to see how I was doing as he knew that I had been fighting cancer his entire high school career ... Heath told me that he was taking classes at Shawnee State then he started talking high school hoops - Heath knows as much or more than I do about high school hoops AND he is a talker LOL ... great young man ... just as the majority of ALL of the young men who play high school hoops are in Southern & SoutherEast Ohio ... those 2 pictures in time are why I do what I do - those fine young men Landon Carroll , an outstanding player on the court ... Heath Unger , a role player on the court & outstanding young man off the court ...

Thanks again guys for your support ... no worries about ANYONE getting under my skin LOL - I have looked death in the face - I'm still here; I KNOW that the folks who play the game, coach the game and those who have a vested interest in their sons who play the game appreciate what I try to do on SEOPS - THAT keeps ME doing what I do ... and Twizzlers ... twizzlers keep me doing what I do too ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:48 pm bbjunky81, Pa Trojan, EagleEye3 ... thank you for the support on SEOPS ! glad that we have high school hoops fans who feel like the SEOPS Basketball Forum is worth the read every week with the Elite 8 ... you guys know that I have "thick" skin , the rankings inevitably will draw out arguments for and against the rankings themselves ... any rankings of any kind allow supporters of ALL teams to agree/disagree with what someone's opinion happens to be ... imo it makes the site worth the read as long as those who argue one way or the other are willing to agree to disagree while keeping their input away from attacks on kids, coaches, teams directly ... too easy to hide behind a poster id and bash those who ARE doing the best they can doing what they do whether that be playing the GAME, or coaching the GAME ... I applaud every kid and coach associated with the 72 teams I rank - they are all amazing with the time spent learning the GAME, playing the GAME and competing vs one another - it's the best time of the year in my book ...

IF you do it right - I like to think that I do - you will have friends from one end of the Southeast District to the other ... I have so many folks who are fans of the game, families of players, coaches who have shook my hand and thanked me for what I do for the kids, for high school hoops in SEOhio - it makes me feel good to know that we are doing it right and are appreciated by the important people - coaches, players & families of those players who are all important to those parents ...

... I love watching high school basketball - it's that simple ... I was sitting at Gallia Academy doing what I do ... at half time I'm checking scores on my phone when I get a tap on my shoulder - Landon Carroll from Oak Hill is standing there, Landon sits down , we chat about the Oaks season, a little about the scrimmage I watched at Oak Hill with PHS, Warren & Oak Hill ... I had met Landon last season along with his Dad , the young man had just finished playing at RG with the Oaks , just passing through checking out Gallia & Jackson ... he saw me, wanted to say hello talk hoops, talk about how good he feels about his Oaks & his teammates ...THAT'S why I do what I do - kids like Landon Carroll ... last year I made my now annual trek to Chesapeake to watch the Beasts of the Southeast tourney , Eastern Brown has been scheduled each of the years I have attended ... I again was doing what pfloyd does keeping napkin stats in the cheap seats , and again I look up to see a player from Eastern Brown - Heath Unger ... Heath graduated the year before, his senior year being the 2015-16 season ... he just wanted to see how I was doing as he knew that I had been fighting cancer his entire high school career ... Heath told me that he was taking classes at Shawnee State then he started talking high school hoops - Heath knows as much or more than I do about high school hoops AND he is a talker LOL ... great young man ... just as the majority of ALL of the young men who play high school hoops are in Southern & SoutherEast Ohio ... those 2 pictures in time are why I do what I do - those fine young men Landon Carroll , an outstanding player on the court ... Heath Unger , a role player on the court & outstanding young man off the court ...

Thanks again guys for your support ... no worries about ANYONE getting under my skin LOL - I have looked death in the face - I'm still here; I KNOW that the folks who play the game, coach the game and those who have a vested interest in their sons who play the game appreciate what I try to do on SEOPS - THAT keeps ME doing what I do ... and Twizzlers ... twizzlers keep me doing what I do too ...

It’s been nearly 12 years since we guided you over to here. These rankings...along with mine and bulldogs used to get pretty animated lol. Your elite 8 threads are very polite compared to just 5/6 years ago. Most everyone on this forum enjoys your rankings.

In other news you have Jackson at #17....they just won at Hillsboro and are at Washington Friday....a win there and they might be as high as you’ve ever had them in well over a decade.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Have the Wheelersburg pirates played any games yet? If so any scores?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm Have the Wheelersburg pirates played any games yet? If so any scores?
Not yet....play the Browns this week in football. 4 point favorites

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm Have the Wheelersburg pirates played any games yet? If so any scores?

... LMAO !!! :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:48 pm bbjunky81, Pa Trojan, EagleEye3 ... thank you for the support on SEOPS ! glad that we have high school hoops fans who feel like the SEOPS Basketball Forum is worth the read every week with the Elite 8 ... you guys know that I have "thick" skin , the rankings inevitably will draw out arguments for and against the rankings themselves ... any rankings of any kind allow supporters of ALL teams to agree/disagree with what someone's opinion happens to be ... imo it makes the site worth the read as long as those who argue one way or the other are willing to agree to disagree while keeping their input away from attacks on kids, coaches, teams directly ... too easy to hide behind a poster id and bash those who ARE doing the best they can doing what they do whether that be playing the GAME, or coaching the GAME ... I applaud every kid and coach associated with the 72 teams I rank - they are all amazing with the time spent learning the GAME, playing the GAME and competing vs one another - it's the best time of the year in my book ...

It’s been nearly 12 years since we guided you over to here. These rankings...along with mine and bulldogs used to get pretty animated lol. Your elite 8 threads are very polite compared to just 5/6 years ago. Most everyone on this forum enjoys your rankings.

In other news you have Jackson at #17....they just won at Hillsboro and are at Washington Friday....a win there and they might be as high as you’ve ever had them in well over a decade.

... it was sure a lot easier I92 when YOU were the one keeping track of all of the records for all of the teams LOL ... and yes - those days doing the rankings on the huddle were some great interactions ... hey we made good points AND backed them up ! LOL at least in our minds we back them up LOL ...

... Jackson IS moving up ! Hillsboro is a very good basketball teams that JHS knocked off ... Washington is down their best player due to a shoulder injury I believe - so it will be interesting to see how this one rolls out ... I watched Caleb Wallis (5-4) PG for JHS get "beat up" vs Gallia the other night - that young man should get a purple heart ... the kid is tough as nails AND GOOD !!! inch of inch he might just be the best player out on the court on any given night ... he impressed me last year on the JV squad , even more as the starting PG for the Ironmen ... Caleb Wallis literally and figuratively leaves it all on the court every game he plays - my kind of player - he never short changes TEAM in a game ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Good draft choices huh!

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Trojans try to bounce back @ South Point..lets go Trojans!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojan's lost to a good coal grove team on a buzzer beater at Portsmouth, this was a close game and Portsmouth help a small lead up till around three minutes in the game.
Coal grove will win some games and will go e a lot of teams some problems come tournament time in D 4.

Only stat I have is,Portsmouth had 20 turnovers, while coal grove is pesky on defensive, a lot of these turnovers was unforced ,this has to get better you want beat bad teams with 20 turnover let alone a team like coal grove who has all five starters.
The hornets also picked up 15 offensive boards, lot of second chance opportunities.
Congrats to the hornets.
Portsmouth, just get up and get ready for the next one at south point ,won't be no easier

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 am
Only stat I have is,Portsmouth had 20 turnovers, while coal grove is pesky on defensive, a lot of these turnovers was unforced ,this has to get better you want beat bad teams with 20 turnover let alone a team like coal grove who has all five starters.
I would venture to think every team on Portsmouth's schedule will have 5 starters.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
comebacker
Riding the Bench

Post by comebacker »

Miller should jump way up after that huge W

IF YOU DON'T WRASTLE, YOU AIN'T WORTH THE HASSLE
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I would venture to say everyone on here knew he just left off the word "back" when he said a team like Coal Grove who has all 5 starters....

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Correct Mr wonderful, but still it was funny.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:03 am Trojan's lost to a good coal grove team on a buzzer beater at Portsmouth, this was a close game and Portsmouth help a small lead up till around three minutes in the game.
Coal grove will win some games and will go e a lot of teams some problems come tournament time in D 4.

Only stat I have is,Portsmouth had 20 turnovers, while coal grove is pesky on defensive, a lot of these turnovers was unforced ,this has to get better you want beat bad teams with 20 turnover let alone a team like coal grove who has all five starters back.
The hornets also picked up 15 offensive boards, lot of second chance opportunities.
Congrats to the hornets.
Portsmouth, just get up and get ready for the next one at south point ,won't be no easier

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:10 pm

... it was sure a lot easier I92 when YOU were the one keeping track of all of the records for all of the teams LOL ... and yes - those days doing the rankings on the huddle were some great interactions ... hey we made good points AND backed them up ! LOL at least in our minds we back them up LOL ...

... Jackson IS moving up ! Hillsboro is a very good basketball teams that JHS knocked off ... Washington is down their best player due to a shoulder injury I believe - so it will be interesting to see how this one rolls out ... I watched Caleb Wallis (5-4) PG for JHS get "beat up" vs Gallia the other night - that young man should get a purple heart ... the kid is tough as nails AND GOOD !!! inch of inch he might just be the best player out on the court on any given night ... he impressed me last year on the JV squad , even more as the starting PG for the Ironmen ... Caleb Wallis literally and figuratively leaves it all on the court every game he plays - my kind of player - he never short changes TEAM in a game ...

Caleb walks is what scared me the most about the Jackson game.. because frankly in to matchups last year we could not catch him and he would take it to the hop on everyone I enjoy watching him play.. and I think saying beat up says a lot about the way the Blue devils played him.. but that kid is a player.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”