Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 - Christmas Edition ...

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #4 - Christmas Edition ...

Post by 93Bulldog »

Score from Wed night ...

Buffalo - 54
Wahama - 53

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:22 pm Pfloyd: This might be the first year in a long time where there is a Top 6 and not a True Top 8. People are saying you have Piketon overrated but I’m wondering who should’ve been placed ahead of them? Then I see Gallia loses by 47 to Fairland and is #7 and we all know that you can’t get beat by 31 and stay in the top 8..... wait that’s football and a Top 4. But truly Fairland is D2 and Gallia is D2 and that 47 Point disparity weakens the Top 8.

And there’s nothing you can do!

But wow there’s a huge divide between the top 6 and everyone else right now.

You know I have a vested interest in South Webster and we are keeping track of your ratings and notice that we are 8th ranked by Division 4 teams. My hope is the 7 in front of us would have the same record as My Jeeps do if they played the same schedule. Your rankings have me worried about moving to the Meigs Sectional though— after last year’s historically bad Meigs Sectional—- this year you are valuing the TVC Hocking highly and it’s been noticed.

Thank you for doing the work and accepting the criticism that comes with it.

Merry Christmas—- Happy New Year and Go Bucks!
Definitely a weaker top 8 than years past. I think Gallia is a Top 8 team. Fairland is just in a class of their own. Gallia would beat Piketon in my opinion. Instead of Piketon, I think Vinton Co is better than them and I think Warren is too. (Yes I'm throwing records completely out the window and going by the eye test)

Of course I'm just a bleacher guy. No disrespect meant to Piketon. I like their team. I like what the coach is doing there. I'm just solely looking at the Top 8. It wouldn't surprise me if they win the Pike Co. Holiday Tourney.

Making offers you can't refuse
bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

It's always a treat for me to watch the ebb and flow of Pfloyd's Elite 8 and the reactions that result. No matter what the placing controversy may be, you just gotta give the man props for his due diligence and effort.
Keep on keepin' on Pfloyd! You keep each season rolling into the tournaments with style and grace. (Now, 93dog probably thinks style and grace were a dance act he saw at the Navy Club.)

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Vinton Vinton Vinton............I think the process of seeing teams would work well before rating them....It's kind of like college football & the BCS. OSU is not the best team & neither is Vinton Co. That is until they prove it.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Fairland and Pfloyd are a lot a like. Better schools out of the area may beat them but they are the best the area has...Pfloyd may not pick as well as people that get paid to do it but he is the best money doesn't buy.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I appreciate all of the feedback both positive AND negative alike ... I still feel good about the rankings - the teams will determine where they fall or climb to with their play on the court - this is the way it has always been (with assistance from the old Ouija Board I have had since I was a kid) ... the 7&8 positions in the Elite 8 have ALWAYS been "active/volatile" positions especially in the early part of the season (before the new year) ... teams in that 7-20 positions are those teams who are filling "spots" that were left due to graduation/injury etc. role players are figuring out their "roles" , coaches are settling into who that top 7 or 8 (if a team is "loaded") ... some teams are recovering from slow starts - slow starts in terms of losses - surprise losses , losses to teams who may be not as talented BUT who are a TEAM already due to the systems in place by the quality coaching staffs (the Logan Elms, Warrens, Vinton County's, Eastern Pike's, Eastern Brown's of the hoops world) ... the teams on the move are those teams who take advantage of their schedules - playing teams above them on their schedules , getting W's , showing improvement ie. Federal Hocking moved up last week and they didn't get a W ! but they took Waterford to OT, were leading vs Belpre) ... I am totally good with the criticism !!! when it comes from those folks who I respect it makes me take a closer look which may mean "you need to see this team for yourself" not necessarily "move the team up" LOL ...

... specifics - my placement of Piketon in the Elite 8 ? the Red Streaks looked THAT good when I traveled to Bainbridge to see them beat Paint Valley ... I will get to see PHS AGAIN Saturday night in Waverly at the Holiday Classic along with my first "in season" eye test on Coach Barrick's Eastern Pike Eagles, Coach Robertson's Waverly Tigers ( saw them at the U over the summer AND liked what I saw hence they started in the preseason HIGHER ranked than usual) ... Western Pike has a chance to "catch my eye" based on their play in the Classic ... Gallia Academy at #7 ? as LucasDavenport pointed out - they lost by 31 to Fairland - the Dragons WANTED to make a statement AND DID ... so far no one else in SEO has beaten Fairland either, IF any other team in SEO played against FHS THAT night, with the Dragons playing the way they did on THAT night - same results ...

... I'm glad that the rankings provide a forum to "start" conversations about ALL teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I have been wrong before about teams and I will be wrong again LOL... in the end it is the TEAMS on the court that take care of the rankings ... probably the BEST "stamp" on the rankings validity is post season play - there will always be upsets in the postseason BUT usually the BEST teams are those teams which survive and advance ...

... YOU keep watching,YOU keep supporting YOUR teams in SEO ! the kids, coaches NEED our support as they ALL - ALL 72 teams - work hard day in day out to perform as they do on the court for their schools, fans, coaches, teammates & themselves ... High School Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line is the best show around from December through March ... enjoy it ALL ...

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

The Donald thinks the hippo's top eight is spot on with a few adjustments.
The Donald would have the top 4 in this order
1. Fairland
2.Logan
3.FU
4.Oak hill
Melania and I follow these rankings every morning in the situation room!
PS Melania would love to invite the Purple Hippo to the White House with one request.
That the Purple Hippo gives her a personal lap dance!!
"I'm Donald Trump and I approve this Message"

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Excellent rankings, good in depth analysis Pfloyd. Lol If I was you have Melania keep Donald locked up in the situation room.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Like to see the Trimble Tomcats in the top twenty thou. I personally believe they will be higher as season rolls along.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Howie is one of Best bench Coach’s in all Southern Ohio. Howie knows how to win period.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Eastern Brown 54- Georgetown 50 in Brown county holiday tournament . Western Brown 54- Fayetteville 44. Tournament championship tomorrow ,Western Brown vs Eastern Brown at Fayetteville @ 7:00.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Did Fairland play their 3rd game against the myrtle beach team?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Falcon01 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:15 pm Did Fairland play their 3rd game against the myrtle beach team?
Tomorrow morning. 10:15 I believe

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 pm
Falcon01 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:15 pm Did Fairland play their 3rd game against the myrtle beach team?
Tomorrow morning. 10:15 I believe
Ah ok cool. Hopefully they can finish with a win.

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

Cherokee, NC
Holiday tournament
Coal Grove 72
Cherokee 66
Huge win over the host school after losing their PG early to an ankle injury. Went down 14 points before making a comeback.
Championship Friday vs Keenan, SC

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bhicks42 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:10 pm Cherokee, NC
Holiday tournament
Coal Grove 72
Cherokee 66
Huge win over the host school after losing their PG early to an ankle injury. Went down 14 points before making a comeback.
Championship Friday vs Keenan, SC
bhicks42 ... what time is this game today/tonight for Coal Grove ? ...

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Good luck Dawson-Bryant!

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Congrats Coal Grove. Hornets and Dragons representing our area well

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The OVC is looking like a very strong conference this year. Coal Grove is showing why I felt very strongly that the Hornets could reach the regionals in D4.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eastern pike beat Piketon 69-62

GO EAGLES

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”