Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Oaktown
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by Oaktown »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 am
Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 pm How many of the top teams are home grown with no transfers ? Just curious if any. I mean no disrespect to transfers .That's their right .
Off the top of my head

1. Fairland (8-2) - Howell came from Gallipolis in Junior High, I think that's it.
2. Logan (9-0) - as previously stated, none.
3. Oak Hill (10-0) - I believe 4 out of 5 starters are transfers. Carroll x2 and Long from Jackson, Darby from Rock Hill
4. Unioto (8-1) - Swackhammer is from Jackson, moved to Unioto in Junior High.
5. Fairfield Union (6-3) - Can't remember exactly but I think Thompson moved in, right?
6. Chillicothe (9-3) - Noel moved in this year but isn't one of the leading scorers.
7. Gallia Academy (8-1) - Will need help here, not familiar with Gallia..
8. Zane Trace (8-2) - Will need help here also.. I believe they got a kid from Waverly but not sure if he's a significant part of the team or not.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?
Just to clarify for Oak Hill, Long returned to the county from living in Florida for a couple of years. He had not played for Jackson since the 7th grade.

Ski83
Riding the Bench

Post by Ski83 »

Hey PFloyd, VC is 7-1 since Naylan Yates joined the team after his preseason ankle injury. Now Nevan is getting in the groove after surgery on a dislocated finger from football. Hoping the last half of the season gets the Vikings in tournament shape. Eli Griffith should be back sometime in early February!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The general makeup of VC is very much the same as last year's D2 district champion. Take out Bartoe and put in Speakman. Not much drop off there.

They can make another run, but they gotta get out of that 4 spot in Logan. Getting a top 3 seed is critical!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ski83 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm Hey PFloyd, VC is 7-1 since Naylan Yates joined the team after his preseason ankle injury. Now Nevan is getting in the groove after surgery on a dislocated finger from football. Hoping the last half of the season gets the Vikings in tournament shape. Eli Griffith should be back sometime in early February!!
... looking forward for the Vikings of Coach Combs' to get to full strength for the first time this season ! Vinton County will be a different looking team when Griffith gets back - they will have a solid inside threat with "good hands" who will look to score off of the passes from the perimeter ... once VC gets an inside scoring threat, the perimeter will open up more for Speakman, Nevan & Naylan Yates AND others as well ... with not much film on VC with ALL of the pieces on the floor at the same time - they will definitely have a different look at both ends of the floor imo ... as I said I LOOK FORWARD to seeing the "million dollar man" /restructured Vikings that I envisioned when I put together my preseason rankings and Vinton County was in the 3 or 4 TEAMS ...

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

What about Wheelersburg Pirates, I know there football team had quite a few, what about basketball team.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Isn’t Holden originally from Portsmouth. Or out of area. Fairland all home grown players also

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

not Sure here.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Prime Time wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm What about Wheelersburg Pirates, I know there football team had quite a few, what about basketball team.
Holden’s Dad is from down south but his son has been there his whole life!

Truitt is from New Boston then south Webster

Mullins is from south Webster

Lowery is from Portsmouth

Thompson on JV is from Chillicothe

I think that’s it as far as i know

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Someone has to say it - with the forecast of freezing rain, sleet, -plus other stuff coming in Friday afternoon - what is the likelihood that we will have major cancellation of games Friday night and Saturday ??? ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm Someone has to say it - with the forecast of freezing rain, sleet, -plus other stuff coming in Friday afternoon - what is the likelihood that we will have major cancellation of games Friday night and Saturday ??? ...

To me, it sounds like we should be okay on Friday because of it being warmer early on, but Saturday sounds like a whole lot of cancellations coming.

If it sleets early in the afternoon on Friday, I could see those being called off too though.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No way Dani ... Temps start dropping around 2:00 ... will go from upper 40's to 31 by 7:00 ... 100% chance of precipitation.

Snow will start coming down anywhere between 6-7 and won't let up until Saturday.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 pm How many of the top teams are home grown with no transfers ? Just curious if any. I mean no disrespect to transfers .That's their right .
Off the top of my head

1. Fairland (8-2) - Howell came from Gallipolis in Junior High, I think that's it.
3. Oak Hill (10-0) - I believe 4 out of 5 starters are transfers. Carroll x2 and Long from Jackson, Darby from Rock Hill
5. Fairfield Union (6-3) - Can't remember exactly but I think Thompson moved in, right?
6. Chillicothe (9-3) - Noel moved in this year but isn't one of the leading scorers.
8. Zane Trace (8-2) - Will need help here also.. I believe they got a kid from Waverly but not sure if he's a significant part of the team or not.

Sounds like Jackson would be a state title contender if all of the above mentioned would have stayed along with the decent team they currently have.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

TVC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 am
Off the top of my head

Sounds like Jackson would be a state title contender if all of the above mentioned would have stayed along with the decent team they currently have.
I'm a die-hard Jackson fan, and it was hard to see all of that talent leave. I don't have a dog in the fight, but unfortunately, I also witnessed some of those kids being asked to leave the gyms for wanting to practice all of the time back in middle school. Supporting that passion is part of the equation to build a top tier program. Coaches always seemed great, and times have improved, so I'm hopeful my kids won't have to make similar decisions in 5-10 years. Price of admission would be well worth it to see those kids all on the same court again, wow.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Lynchburg at West Union for tomorrow has been postponed.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm Lynchburg at West Union for tomorrow has been postponed.
... I'm getting visions of an avalanche of ppd's uggghhhhhhhhh !

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm Lynchburg at West Union for tomorrow has been postponed.
... I'm getting visions of an avalanche of ppd's uggghhhhhhhhh !

Games for tomorrow may be in trouble . Might be a quiet evening. Sat some games might get the green light, Then again they might miss the forecast .

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 am
No transfers for Logan, all families from Logan.
The only non Peebles player I can remember was Danny Knelty back in 1998. He is married to a Peebles girl and his son now is an awesome player on the 7th grade school.Peebles always loses players to other schools such as the Setty boys back when the Justices played
The Setty s played on Mason county Kentucky's state championship team. Treg played at OU.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

JEEPNATION wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm
Prime Time wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm What about Wheelersburg Pirates, I know there football team had quite a few, what about basketball team.

Mullins’s father went to SW but Connor has been at Burg the whole time.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am
JEEPNATION wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Mullins’s father went to SW but Connor has been at Burg the whole time.

And it is Saunders on JV that is from Chillicothe not the Thompson brothers.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

bc181700 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am
TVC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 am

Off the top of my head

I'm a die-hard Jackson fan, and it was hard to see all of that talent leave. I don't have a dog in the fight, but unfortunately, I also witnessed some of those kids being asked to leave the gyms for wanting to practice all of the time back in middle school. Supporting that passion is part of the equation to build a top tier program. Coaches always seemed great, and times have improved, so I'm hopeful my kids won't have to make similar decisions in 5-10 years. Price of admission would be well worth it to see those kids all on the same court again, wow.
All those players left Jackson because they weren’t allowed to practice all the time in the gym? The one boy moved on because his parents wanted him in 8th grade another year and so he transferred to where they would allow that. Two of those players were always at an open gym 40 or so miles away from the high school they attended. They are open gyms so they are free to do so but seems odd to go that far when you are wanting convenience. Not even sure the school they attended even had open gyms. Doesn’t add up.

Jackson has 4 losses? Miami Trace? Chillicothe was close game (I got to see that one...Go Cavs!), Vinton County led all game from going back and forth in radio. Who else beat them? I think Jackson would be undefeated if they had any two of the kids that left. No big deal, kids leave. Everyone has their choices. I have no problem when kids leave. Reasons aren’t needed. Parents decision. Who are we to judge? Doesn’t Jackson get alot of football transfers? From what I can tell it’s common to transfer out of Jackson for basketball but transfer in for football. Good ole Wheelersburgh gets both from reading on here.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”