2018 Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Post by Chieftain2009 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm The Preseason Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohion is being compiled with an end of September distribution date ...
Looking forward to it!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

hmmmmmmm ... with the "committee of one" - me - throwing out that Logan IS in the Top 5 WHO will join the Purple of Logan in the Top 5 or the Elite 8 ? candidates could include :

Sheridan?, Gallia Academy? , Athens?, Warren?, Zane Trace?, Chillicothe ?, Waverly ?, Eastern Pike? , Fairfield Union? , Unioto? , Logan Elm? Piketon ? Wheelersburg ? Ironton ? Jackson ?

Who from the SHAC should be in the discussion ? ... the committee of one - me- I'm looking at Whiteoak YES Whiteoak to make noise and get to the Convo ... they could have their highest preseason start in the rankings in a number of years - going back to the WhiteOak days ... when in doubt I always looks at the bench - Coach Beuchler is my go to guy courtside in the SHAC with his Eastern Brown boys look for EB to be in the 2nd tier in the preseason ... others on my radar North Adams , Peebles , Fairfield Leesburg gets a look but if I'm not mistaken the FHS will be a youngster laden team for the 2018-19 season ... the scuttlebutt has Ripley being the class of the SHAC (but not in the SEO district in the post season) ...

Outside the Elite 8 but getting noticed :

Chesapeake?, Coal Grove ? What can we expect from Fairland losing the best starting 5 in SEOhio last year ? South Point a mid-level team ? New Boston after making last years trip to the Convo under Coach Adam Cox ?

Trimble will be a top 15-20 team to start the season.

Question Marks : Vinton County ? VC gets lots of "up the rankings" from the excellent coaching staff led by Coach Combs & Coach Kight ...

Teams to watch - Marietta ? with Duckworth x 2 on the floor ... Washington CH under the new leadership of Coach Scott ? the Tigers in Circleville with Coach Cassidy at the helm again ? Oak Hill ? South Webster ? ... is this the year that Lucasville Valley gets the next wave of hoops athletes rolled out on the court ?

... the committee of one - is sitting here waiting for the "lightning delay" to pass at the OSU game ... who am I leaving off of consideration for the upper 1/3 of the Elite 8 rankings? the top 20-25 teams ?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Good preseason rundown of the hoops sport.......I always look forward to what happens on the hardwood come December.

As far as my Trojans, honestly I think we are a year away from being really good. However, I do believe that this will be Portsmouth's most athletic team since the 2015 regional runnerup......that team had Alex Dickerson, Kyre Allison, Sky Oliver, Kendal Reynolds, and Ethan Leonard as the starting 5. Athletically speaking, we will be able to match up with any team in the SE district.......main obstacle to overcome will be a lot of inexperience since PHS lost 5 of the top 6 players. Look for a couple of freshmen and sophomores to play meaningful minutes. Right now, 4 of the starters are most likely going to be MyQuel McKinley, 6-3 SR, Danny Lattimore 5-11 SR, Matthew Fraulini, 6-2 JR, and Miles Shipp, 6-2 SO. The 5th starter is completely up for grabs, with the main candidates being Richie Bowman, 6-2 JR, Amare Johnson, 5-7 FR, Daryionne Bryant, 6-0 FR, Michael Duncan, 6-0 SO, and Devin McLaurin, 6-0 SO. Fraulini will be one of the SE district's top players, and I look for him to average close to 20 PPG.

The Trojans probably should be around 30-35 in your first rankings, but it will be interesting to see if we can move up considering who will be ahead of us.

Come tournament time, the Trojans could make an advance if they can find a chemistry with all the new players......but that's what the regular season is for, and Coach Collins will find the recipe in this his 10th season at PHS.

GO TROJANS!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Great seeing you ad your 2 cent trojandave ! I'm a big Coach Collins & his PHS staff fan - he's an outstanding coach plain and simple ... he knows how to get the most out of his players ... I'm confident that by the time the year rolls into January , Coach Collins will know who he wants on the floor & when ... I've talked to a number of coaches in the off season - they ALL mention "freshmen to watch for" this season - the Southeast District seems to have some outstanding freshmen "gym rats" ... as a cheap seat guy I totally love seeing the young ones come on the scene as freshmen & contribute ... the best part is that we all get to watch them develop throughout their hs careers - getting bigger, faster, stronger ... Waverly I understand has a couple of freshmen to watch for, Chillicothe a couple more who are making inroads on the AAU circuit too ... the number I got today talking to Logan's Coach Myers is that there are about 14 freshmen that will be making major contributions at the varsity level this hoops season in SEOhio hoops ...

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Just taking a very wild stab at the pfloyd top 5....in no particular order...

Logan...Chillicothe...Waverly....Wheelersburg and Gallia Academy

It's a stretch I know.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I don't think its a Stretch at all. Matter of fact, I'll be surprised if that is not Pfloyd's top 5 also.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly's Downtown Arena currently undergoing some more major upgrades........ Gonna be sweet!!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

smurray wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 pm Waverly's Downtown Arena currently undergoing some more major upgrades........ Gonna be sweet!!
Waverly is doing an awesome job with its facilities.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm I don't think its a Stretch at all. Matter of fact, I'll be surprised if that is not Pfloyd's top 5 also.
Thanks VetteMan but there is only one pfloyd. He is the wise sage of SEOPS roundball!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I agree with what you said, there is only 1 Pfloyd. I still think that will be his Top 5 also.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Athens will be right there and pfloyds 2nd favorite program Warren Local always a thought

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sheridan returns a ton don't they?

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Coach Collins will have the Trojans playing to the best of their abilities,keep growing young Trojans

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I also think that will be the top five. With Sheridan, Warren, and Eastern Pike just outside the top 5. not sure of the correct order but I would probable start it with Logan, Waverly, Chillicothe, Wheelersburg and Galia. I am biased towards Waverly. Also very curious about Jackson and South Webster. Donaldson and Blevins are two of the best in the area and both will win a lot of games. Pfloyd you need to make it to the holiday classic at Waverly this year. Waverly, Eastern Piketon should be quite a battle. I will supply you with all the twizzlers you want. Just stop by the scorers table and say hi to me and Smurray. It will be interesting to see how Wheelersburg and possibly Waverly start after making long runs in the football playoffs. Not sure if anyone else will have to deal with that scenario or not.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 am I also think that will be the top five. With Sheridan, Warren, and Eastern Pike just outside the top 5. not sure of the correct order but I would probable start it with Logan, Waverly, Chillicothe, Wheelersburg and Galia. I am biased towards Waverly. Also very curious about Jackson and South Webster. Donaldson and Blevins are two of the best in the area and both will win a lot of games. Pfloyd you need to make it to the holiday classic at Waverly this year. Waverly, Eastern Piketon should be quite a battle. I will supply you with all the twizzlers you want. Just stop by the scorers table and say hi to me and Smurray. It will be interesting to see how Wheelersburg and possibly Waverly start after making long runs in the football playoffs. Not sure if anyone else will have to deal with that scenario or not.
I agree with you and also Ironman 92 with Athens. I don't know how much the Bulldogs lost from last years team. I would say that Burg and Waverly both will mayby have to reschedule some of there earlier games.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, I know you said your Preseason Rankings would probably be ready by the end of the month. I know myself as well as a lot of others are really looking forward to them.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:08 pm Pfloyd, I know you said your Preseason Rankings would probably be ready by the end of the month. I know myself as well as a lot of others are really looking forward to them.
To paraphrase tbe immortal words of Ted Knight from the Mary Tyler Moore show.........

Well pfloyd, we're waiting...lol

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”