TVC POY

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

TVC POY

Post by akwhitewater »

Hi everyone, hope this does not turn into a bashing session but I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions on who might be TVC's POY?

It seems to me that after reading all the articles in the Messenger, and following as many games as possible there is one player that really stands out. Whitney Smith from Alexander High School. I know Coach Guthrie hates to single anyone out in the team because of the "team" environment he has fostered.

Whitney seems to consistently be putting up double/doubles. She seems to have really come into her own this past year. I understand that Kelly Kline may also be a contender, but, it seems that maybe Whitney’s stats are a little more impressive (in my opinion) Please if you have any information please let me know. But let’s please keep this post positive.

Pol pot
SE

Re: TVC POY

Post by Pol pot »

If I had a vote, I would cast it for the Kline girl from NY. Alex would still be really good without Smith in the lineup, but Kline was the straw that stirred the drink in Bucknut land. Her numbers are gaudy!

DMB
Waterboy

Post by DMB »

I would agree with polpot because of the #'s. Kline averaged 26 pts. per gm with 6.3 assists and 5.1 steals. Plus she broke both the single gm. scoring record with 42 pts. and the career scoring mark at 1492 pts. She also has over 500 assists for her career which is believed to be the school record.

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Those are some very nice stats for the Kline girl..congrats to her..does anyone have Smith's stats?

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

The Kline girl take about 75% of their shots and I'd like to see her real field goal pct. I'd say if you could get a true total she shoots under 30%

DMB
Waterboy

Post by DMB »

Well thanks Athens 78 there goes the positive for this topic. Kline does have to take shots for NY to win but to say 75% is an absurd exaggeration. You don't average those kinds of assists while taking that many shots. Also your assumption on shooting percentage is very far off but there will always be haters. No matter what happens with the poy, one thing is certain, that Kim Kline will be the only area girl playing DI basketball next year while getting a free education.

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

The POY should be the BEST PLAYER on the BEST TEAM...

TVC Ohio - Whitney Smith of the Alexander Lady Spartans...
TVC Hocking - Sina King of the Waterford Wildcats...

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Other than these comments, I'm going to try and stay out of this. WZT - I agree, the best players, on the best teams, should get POY. Your choices are spot on.

Individual statistics, especially, are manipulated, and frankly, not confirmed, for the most part, especially when it comes to rebounds, assists, steals, and turnovers.

That's why I like, best player, on the best team, for POY. Hard to argue, as their entire performance should be the measuring stick, as well as the team's record.

DMB
Waterboy

Post by DMB »

Not going to argue with anyones opinion on how the poy should be determined but the stats for Kline are spot on and very impressive considering the types of defenses she faced. Those defenses included multiple defenders throughout the game, box and one, triangle and two with 2 on her, and some junk defenses that would be difficult to describe. So how ever the coaches vote, and they will do the voting, Kline had an impressive season by any measure and Smith is a fine player as well.

sball32
Riding the Bench

Post by sball32 »

Definitely King for the Hocking, the Ohio, is a tossup.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Exactly stats are not spot on or confirmed. A lot of times kids at the school or friends of players do the stats and all stats are padded for players on all teams except for scoring average. Smith against Kline in one on one Smith wins 8 out of 10. I agree that Smith is MVP in the Ohio and King in the TVC.

Tune in next year after her first year of college and we'll see how she is doing.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Kline had six points against Fed Hock through 3 quarters. Emily Dunfee was in Kline's grill those three quarters. Game was out of reach, and Coach Butcher called off the dogs. Kline scored 11 points in the 4th quarter, after the game was more than decided.

So, I'll stick by my original post. Smith for the Ohio Division, even though she didn't do much against the Lancers (I attribute that to our post defense!). She picked it up big time, after the two game losing streak, and has a career portfolio that supports her as POY in the Ohio.

So much for me sticking to one post!!!! LOL!!!! ;-)

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Kim Kline is the best player in the TVC Ohio. I am unbiased and she definitely deserves this award.

Viking Pride
Waterboy

Post by Viking Pride »

Kim Kline from NY in TVC Ohio
Sina King from Waterford in TVC Hocking

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Kim Kline is the best player and most athletic in the TVC-Ohio. However, Whitney Smith is the best player and the most important player to her team that happens to be the best team in the TVC-Ohio. That will be the issue.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Whitney Smith for TVC Ohio, Sina King for TVC Hocking.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HP - Once again, my friend, you nailed it. That, is the issue.......Coaches will have to sort that out, and defend their decision..............

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Was the POY last year from the League Champions? If memory serves me correctly it was not, and has not always been. Here is my take on the situation. Take Smith off of Alex's team, there would be a loss, but they would still probably be TVC Champions. Take Kline off of NY's team and they would be a bottom tier team not in second place.

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

WangoZTango wrote:The POY should be the BEST PLAYER on the BEST TEAM...

So, who do you think should be POY on the boy's side? Apparently, not Greg Frost.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Good Point funny how this topic is a double edged sword for an Alexander fan. On the boys side from what I have seen Frost is the Boys TVC POY.

Return to “Girls Basketball”