Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

MightyOaksFan
SE

Re: Doug Hale's Reign as Head Coach

Post by MightyOaksFan »

godsgeneral wrote:Is there a policy, currently in place, by the OH BOE, that states that an administrator cannot coach?

No, the BOE is who asked Doug to come back to coach 4 years ago.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

BlizzardMan wrote:There is a huge conflict of interest within this situation. The Athletic Director is the boss of the Girls Basketball Coach, but the Superintendent is the AD's boss. So therefore, Doug Hale would is the boss of his boss. He could make any decision he wanted to and nothing could be done about it. That is why he can't do both.

to be fair blizzardman, you're leaving out the boe who is the super's boss and therefore everybody's boss. by your post, i think you were insinuating that mr hale wouldn't have any oversight which is not true.

everybody has good points. its just an unfortunate circumstance.

im just throwing this out there for discussion. should the current players involved have any input on this issue? some players could argue that without coach hale's guidance, they would have less of an opportunity to get a scholarship and continue to further their education. this is just the other side of the coin. hope everybody gets what they want. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

He has been doing both jobs. Has anyone had any problems with his performance to date? If not than this should be a non issue. OH is a small district and I don't see a reason that a intelligent, experienced administrator can't handle both jobs.

I for one hope he is given the opportunity. The schools are pretty good and athletics is the only thing that keeps this town afloat. There is hardly any jobs left here. Almost everyone that is not involved with the schools travel for work. If the athletic programs go down hill than the town might as well shut down.

jacksonoaks
Freshman Team

Post by jacksonoaks »

Doug is the new prin. will remain as coach..

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Thats good to hear..But why the switch in admin jobs?

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

I am confused now?

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

Maybe he got hired as super, interviewed possible principals and felt like he was the best candidate and hired himself! Sorry, I just had to say that. I know that isn't true, just a chance to make some light of the situation.

Actually, I am like Ocho, a little confused!?!?!?

minford101
Waterboy

Post by minford101 »

Mr.McCoy either retired early or he quit. It looks like Doug gave up the superintendent job so that he could be head coach, so he took the principal job. And here in 3 years when his daughter is out of high school im sure he will become super since he will be done with coaching basketball.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Re: Doug Hale remains head coach, now hired as principal of OHHS

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Here is the story for this weekend's Times-Journal.

Hale returns as Lady Oaks’ coach

By PAUL BOGGS
Sports Editor

OAK HILL — Now this is taking one for the team.

As in the Oak Hill High School girls basketball team.

Explaining that it was his own decision, Oak Hill Union Local Schools Superintendent Doug Hale will continue to serve as both the varsity girls basketball coach and as a key district administrator.

It just wasn’t the administrative position he originally had in mind.

In a move that ended a much-publicized stalemate amongst the Oak Hill Union Local Board of Education, Hale has decided to continue as girls basketball coach while becoming the new Oak Hill High School/Middle School Principal.

He made that announcement during a special Board meeting on Thursday.

Hale, with the Oak Hill BOE divided on the issue, had sought to continue as both the district’s Interim Superintendent and as the girls varsity basketball coach.

He served in both capacities this past basketball season, being named Interim Superintendent in January while leading the Lady Oaks to a 25-2 record and to the Division III state championship game.

By becoming the high school/middle school principal, the controversy comes to an end over whether or not Hale should be permitted to continue as both superintendent and girls varsity basketball coach.

In fact, he is already looking forward to Monday, which is the first day of the Lady Oaks’ summer program.

“I just announced to them that we’ll be in the gym on Monday night running up and down the floor,” said Hale. “So they better bring their shoes.”

Hale’s first announcement of the night, though, was the major one, following an hour-and-a-half executive session at the outset of the meeting.

When he and the Board returned to the Oak Hill High School cafetorium, Hale — to loud applause and a standing ovation from an estimated 70 individuals — said “I’ll be coaching the Lady Oaks next year.”

Among those in attendance were members of the Lady Oaks, as well as their parents, community members and general Lady Oak fans.

The Board unanimously hired Hale in separate votes for first the principal’s position followed by the supplemental coaching contract.

Both of Hale’s contracts are for the 2009-10 academic year only.

When asked about his decision, Hale explained that he made it alone and “that it was just something that came upon a spur of the moment.”

“This is an opportunity to help with the situation that we’re currently in, being divided on the coaching and the administrative position,” he said. “I thought the Board felt real comfortable about the situation and I did too. It was my decision to do this. I know the Board members wanted to resolve this situation as did I. We didn’t want this to continue into June, with the Lady Oaks supposed to get started (for summer program) on June 1 and the community still concerned about what is going to happen. For the girls not to be able to move forward on Monday with their summer schedule, I know they weren’t looking forward to that and I wasn’t either as being their coach for the last 12 years. So I was thinking ‘How can we resolve this?’ I think this was a good resolution for our district. Hopefully, we can get back to business now.”

Once Hale was re-hired as the head coach, his varsity staff — which includes his wife Linda and daughter Whitney — was also re-hired.

Hale fills the high school/middle school principal’s position, which is being vacated by the retiring Tim McCoy.

McCoy’s retirement becomes effective June 30, but Hale said he will remain “as Interim Superintendent until the search for a superintendent has been completed.”

That process begins on June 8, when the next Oak Hill Union Local BOE meeting is scheduled.

But the majority of the attention on Hale has centered around his desire to continue as the Lady Oaks’ coach.

In his dozen seasons as the highly-successful girls mentor, Hale has amassed 239 victories, part of 354 for his entire coaching career.

Under his tutelage, the Lady Oaks are the two-time Division III state runners-up.

Furthermore, the top eight Lady Oaks from last season’s team are all returning for next season.

Hale restated his desire to continue as the girls’ bench boss.

“When community members come to bat for you, and your past and present players stand up for you, it’s heart-felt. Obviously, there is a lot of devotion to the Lady Oaks’ basketball program. And I would be fibbing to say that I didn’t have the same devotion back to them,” he said.

Hale also spoke of his desire to lead the Oak Hill Union Local School District on a permanent basis.

By becoming high school/middle school principal, Hale faces a sizable salary decrease.

Before becoming Interim Superintendent, Hale was named as Assistant Superintendent, a position now eliminated by the district.

“My ultimate goal is to lead this district as superintendent, and if need be, as superintendent only,” he said.

That time, though, as evidenced by Thursday’s developments, is not now.

“This is not the right time to do that (become Superintendent),” said Hale.

Board President Aaron Michael spoke highly of Hale’s resolution.

“This has been a tough process. But I want to thank Doug Hale for stepping up and coming up with this resolution,” said Michael. “Doug Hale has always had the best interest of this district in mind.”

sports@timesjournal.com

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Glad to hear Doug will be back in the coaching chair or at least kneeling in front of it. Class Coach Class Man

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

This whole situation is bizarre. Where did McCoy's retirement come from? Was he pushed out? I also have never heard of a Principal coaching. This could be a conflict of interest as well because his players could be shown favortism when it comes to discplinary means. Is he going to suspend his best player if she does something that merits it? Just some questions from an outsider. These are real questions that I'm sure plenty of people are wondering about.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

As long as the school dosen't have the admin cant coach rule a Principal can coach.If he was the super and was coaching i'm sure he can handle the Principal job and coach as well...

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I am sure he can mange this situation a little easier, but what happened to McCoy? You also have to admit, a Principal coaching is odd, but a lot better situation than what it could have been. Also, was anyone else even interviewed for the Principal job? If so, who did the interviewing? I have never heard of this happening and it just seems like some people had to have been stepped on for this to happen.

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

Tim McCoy decided to retire and the board voted both yes for Doug to be the head coach and yes for him to be the principal. I think that's how it worked out

whythehale?
Riding the Bench

Post by whythehale? »

Mr. McCoy retired the day before the meeting. I would have loved to have been at this meeting. I think the Times-Journal is a little biased (not just this issue, but previously as well) so the weekend news article is just a bunch of fluff. Doug gave in and I am happy that the school board stood up against the crazy antics that were surrounding this hot topic.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

whythehale? wrote:Mr. McCoy retired the day before the meeting. I would have loved to have been at this meeting. I think the Times-Journal is a little biased (not just this issue, but previously as well) so the weekend news article is just a bunch of fluff. Doug gave in and I am happy that the school board stood up against the crazy antics that were surrounding this hot topic.

your infatuation with mr hale is quite bizarre, starting with your screen name.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

qualified i believe you are the one with the infatuation!

This is bizarre. Be interesting to see how this unfolded.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Wow! so now Oak Hill is looking for a Superintendent! What candidates are available?

Good to know the Board Meetings are all about education. LOL! :122249
I kid, I kid!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

ocho stinko wrote:qualified i believe you are the one with the infatuation!

This is bizarre. Be interesting to see how this unfolded.

"respect" is probably a better word.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

know your role wrote:Maybe he got hired as super, interviewed possible principals and felt like he was the best candidate and hired himself! Sorry, I just had to say that. I know that isn't true, just a chance to make some light of the situation.

Actually, I am like Ocho, a little confused!?!?!?

This is a good point. Did he write a letter of reccomendation to himself, interview himself and go through the whole process. He seriously had to of appointed himself! Did he also tel McCoy to retire or he wouldn't be renewed, or does Mr. McCoy have his Superintendents license and is gonna switch places. Regardless, this seems shady. I wish I could just appoint myself to a job I wanted. I know he is taking a paycut, but this seems to be ridiculous! What is going on in Oak Hill?

Return to “Girls Basketball”