Some Perspective On Blowouts

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Some Perspective On Blowouts

Post by RANDOMGUY »

I would like to drop in my opinion, worthless at best.

We have seen many blowouts over the years, it seems especially rampant this year. That probably is because of the information age, not more blowouts.

I will not condemn or defend any actions that lead to the demoralization of a varsity sport participant. I feel that there are some angles that have not been covered.

1. Eastern 8th Grade 90-17: Junior high plays 24 minutes compared to the varsity girls playing 32. 90/24 = 3.75 Points per minute. Waterford 110-14 = 110/32 = 3.4375. Food for thought.

2. If team A beats Team B by 20, Then Team C beats Team A by 30 And Team B by 30, what went worng with team C? Maybe Team B is better than expected. Maybe Team C is overrated. Maybe, maybe, maybe. It factors in to the voting mind, like it or not.

3. Does Miss King have a shot at DIV POY in State? Maybe she does, at least 1st Team. The one factor that voters do not see in Minutes played. If she sits out 1/2 of 6 games due to "mercy" she probably lowers her scoring by 2-3 points and 2-3 rebounds per game. If this was a close vote is it right for her or her coach to abandon a shot at such honor. I would have a hard time telling a player of her magnitude that she must forfiet a 1st team all state selection for the "greater good." Wins and losses come every year, but All state is something that very few every have a chance at. We have the luxury of having her at close proximity. We know how good she is, but do all of the other voters in the state?

Example: Player one has 26.2 points, 12 rebounds, 4.3 Steals per game.
Player two has 26.1 points, 12.2 rebounds, 4.3 steals per game.
Both play the same position, but there is only one spot left. whom do you choose?
What if i told you that player one played every minute all season including 6 overtime games, while player two played 20.5 minutes per game? Player one's team is 13-7, while player two's is 18-2? Player one's team beat Team X by 35, Player Two's Team beat Team X by 85?

As a senior, has Miss King earned the right to attempt something no one in school history has ever done?

I may get more thoughts, but they will hold no value either.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Re: Some Perspective On Blowouts

Post by jumpstop14 »

I want to say you bring up many valid points. I can't believe people aren't on here thrashing you for even suggesting number 3 though. Honestly there are people on here that want to argue whether King deserves POY in the TVC let alone the state. My opinion is she is without a doubt TVC & district POY earning some sort of All State accolades as well.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sina deserves every accolade afforded her, period. She's the best player in the league, either division, and in my opinion, the best player in SE Ohio, period.

For anyone to suggest that any of her well deserved awards and recognition be withheld due to the margin of victory of their games, well that is ignorant and petty. I've never bashed a player, and won't, because of coaching decisions.

I think that Coach Close's coaching philosophy has been altered by outside influences for the better.

There is no sense in punishing his players for his past bad judgment.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

but building stats in a blowout like this??? to me that proves nothing. i'm not buying that garbage.

pushinit
Waterboy

Post by pushinit »

I think it shows a total lack of class to beat another team by 100 points. You certainly should always give your best effort, but I think that once you're up by max, 30 points, it's time to put in the subs and let them get playing time. It's also a time you can practice new plays, passing stategies,etc. You can also coach your second string against mistakes. You never know when they will be needed to be First string! I'm not saying that the lead team dogs it, they just need to remember that what goes around comes around, and that kind of humiliation isn't good for anyone. It reflects badly on the winning team and coach. By the way, how valid is padding those stats going to help your player when she moves on to the next level where everyone is as good as she is or better? :? :?

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Then how about Africentric beating South 114-14? Raven Ferguson scored 44 points (doesn't say how much she played.) Is she more deserving than King because she scored more points in a blowout win? If this is how coaches are going to coach (getting their best players as many points as possible to increase post-season awards) where does it stop? Should coaches plan their whole game strategy just for one player? Some things might be more important than individual awards.

hoopitup
Freshman Team

Post by hoopitup »

Sina definitely deserves every accolade afforded her but Waterford has other members on the team that are very deserving for post season awards also. Not POY, but other awards. Waterford is at least 8 or 9 deep. They didn't get that way because just one person worked their butt off.

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Great post hoopitup. All the girls work very hard and are deserving of accolades.

GO LADY CATS!!!

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

I think as far as blowouts are concerned, they are uncalled for. No team for any reason what so ever should suffer a loss like some that have been shelled out. Coaches that do this are lucky they don't get someone hurt and most of the time its the best player on a team. Me personally, if I was the King girl or her parents i would had went to the coach and said to sit me or her and I'm sure the Akron coach wouldn't be very happy she was in that game at Southern after half time. As far as the All Ohio honors, shame on anyone that plays for an individuel award. I was All State in baseball and that was the farthest thing on my mind, getting the W was and I didn't realize how i got it til i went to the meetings. Yes stats mean something but your name and what you did in big games against a tough opponent seemed to shine through for those coaches that vote you in. Stats help but coaches talk among other coaches and these coaches would vote for the player they wouldn't want to face. From what i have heard the King girl is a great player on a really good team. For me I have to wonder why no one has mentioned the Cuckler girl from Fed. She is an awfully good player as well on a less talented team. I would like to see her numbers compared to the King and Turley girls stats. I would guess they are really close together with one big difference, two of those girls have a lot of help on their team and the Cuckler girl not as much help. I just think everyone should look at that before they cast a vote. If you go to play Fed. you know you have to stop her and as far as I've read no one has been able to do it yet. JMO

Return to “Girls Basketball”