Oak Hill vs. Adena-----District Championship

Black Panther
SEO

Re: Oak Hill vs. Adena-----District Championship

Post by Black Panther »

chillidog wrote:I will be more than happy to sit with you.
I can hear the Adena student section chanting OVER-RATED !! OVER-RATED !!! already lol

All I hear is that one SW fan cheering every play like it's no tomorrow while his team is up by 25 points in the 4th quarter...LOL. Sorry, inside joke! But true...

Mark May
Freshman Team

Post by Mark May »

I heard that guy too BP.It's one thing to be passionate and cheer your team on but that was a bit of overkill if I would say so myself.It wasn't like the game was in doubt, it was over in the first quarter.All he needed was an air horn.LOL

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Article at www.svcsportszone.com on this year's SVC as well as a look at Adena entering Saturday's game.

statingthefacts
Waterboy

Post by statingthefacts »

chillidog wrote:I will be more than happy to sit with you.
I can hear the Adena student section chanting OVER-RATED !! OVER-RATED !!! already lol

I think you might be hearing the voices in your head again. Don't worry there is plenty of counseling and such that can help with with this. Didn't Ole_cuzin_funk already tell you to lay off of the drugs? Just tell the voices to go away until the game Saturday so you won't be so heartbroken after it's all said and done.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Hope you don't mind me posting this keyser, just thought it was a great article

GIRLS BASKETBALL: Been here, done that
Lady Oaks back in Convo, district title tilt
By PAUL BOGGS
Sports Editor
Published: Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:17 AM EST
OAK HILL -- The Ohio University Convocation Center in Athens has become a home away from home for the Oak Hill High School girls basketball team. The Division III district championship trophy has made its home at Oak Hill High School as well.

The two worlds combine once again on Saturday, as the undefeated Lady Oaks -- competing in their 14th straight district championship tilt -- aim to capture their eighth district title in the last 10 seasons when they encounter Adena at the Convo.

Tip time is set for 11 a.m. The Lady Oaks enter at 22-0, while underdog Adena is 15-7, with one of those seven setbacks coming against the same Oak Hill club back on Dec. 28 at Adena. Without two of their top players that night, the Lady Warriors were overwhelmed 67-32. And now they rematch the Lady Oaks in one of Oak Hill’s favorite and familiar environments.

That being the Ohio University Convocation Center, which is hosting the girls Southeast District tournament championships for the second straight season.

Oak Hill head coach Doug Hale has a love affair with the Convo, having coached in the sparkling 14,000-seat facility while watching games there as a father for the past three years.

His son, J.D. Hale, played in nine tournament tilts in the Convo as a standout for the Oak Hill boys squad, including four last season as part of the Oaks’ Division IV state championship run.

“Anytime you go to the Convo, you are excited. Whether you are a fan or a player,” said Coach Hale. “I’m proud of our team advancing to the district championship at the Convo. It should be and will be exciting to represent our school and community in the district championship.”

The Lady Oaks are regular visitors to the Convo for the annual Holzer Hoops Invitational, which is put on by Alexander High School.

Senior Karissa Adkins has played in the building five times prior, including this season’s Holzer Hoops Invitational on Dec. 12.

That morning, bright and early at 9 a.m., Adkins amassed 25 points on 12-of-15 shooting and had 16 points by halftime.

“She just enjoys this atmosphere, she enjoys coming to the Convo,” said Hale of Adkins following the Lady Oaks’ 84-30 crushing of Federal Hocking that day. “She gets excited to come up here and that is good. I wish we played here every game.”

Saturday’s showdown with Adena will be the fourth game at OU for the top eight of the Lady Oaks’ regular rotation.

Oak Hill handled Minford in last season’s district championship tilt and …#8221; given the late 9 p.m. tipoff time, that was the final game of six on the day at the Convo.

The Lady Oaks open the six-game slate on Saturday this time around, starting at 11 a.m.

Oak Hill has also played Saturday games this season at 9 a.m. 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.

But no matter what the tipoff time, the Lady Oaks are on a mission for a repeat trip to the Division III state tournament -- and ultimately the program’s first-ever state championship.

Oak Hill has a date with Adena first, which advanced to the district championship by vanquishing Valley 46-30 in a district semifinal at Waverly last Thursday.

That same evening, the Lady Oaks edged another group of Lady Warriors -- of Eastern Brown 51-40.

Oak Hill had trailed by six points on three occasions in the second stanza, but rallied to within one at halftime by outscoring Eastern Brown 22-5 for all but the final 30 seconds of the second half.

It was the first time all season in which the Lady Oaks trailed at halftime.

“It was good for us to get a strong challenge this early in the tournament, and to be able to handle it and not lose our composure when we got behind,” said Hale of the Eastern Brown battle. “Our girls didn’t panic and we just stayed with it and came out on top.”

Against Adena in the first meeting, Oak Hill had little trouble, although the Lady Warriors were without two of their top players in that contest.

One of those was five-foot eight-inch senior Kirstie Yates, who averages six rebounds per game and shoots 47-percent from the field.

After the Oak Hill loss, Adena bounced back in the second half of the season, getting healthy again and upsetting Unioto 67-64 to snap the Shermans’ 36-game Scioto Valley Conference winning streak.

The loss to the Warriors was Unioto’s only of the entire season, both overall and in the SVC.

Adena also defeated Zane Trace (42-35) and 19-win Greenfield McClain (60-49), which also remains in the district tournament in Division III and Division II respectively.

Adena is allowing only 43 points per game.

“Adena has played a tough schedule this season,” said Hale. “They play hard and are a good defensive team. They have two players returning from injuries since our first matchup.”

The Lady Warriors -- the Division III volleyball state runners-up -- are paced by a freshman in five-foot-seven-inch Jenny Grigsby.

Grigsby garnered first-team all-SVC honors in averaging almost 11 points per game and shooting 45-percent from the field.

Autumn Smith, a five-foot-two sophomore, and Brytan Givens, a 5-3 junior, made second-team and third-team all-SVC respectively.

Givens leads the team with 20 threes, as Yates and Kelsey Bienlow (5-10, jr.) boasted all-conference Honorable Mention.

The Warriors’ mentor, Jeran Cox, captured SVC Coach of the Year accolades.

But the Warriors haven’t played in a venue such as the Convo, nor an opponent quite like Oak Hill.

The Lady Oaks are used to the larger court and wide open space, whereas Adena is used to the Convocation Center for regional tournament volleyball.

Oak Hill has four players (5-9 senior Adkins at 16.2; 5-10 senior Rebecca Puckett at 15.5; 5-10 sophomore Lakin Caudill at 12 and 5-10 sophomore Taylor Hale at 10) averaging in double figures scoring, and their patented full-court pressure is turned up a notch this time of year.

For March means many times another “March” of the Lady Oaks, and this time, the Division III regionals return to the Convo next week.

The Oak Hill and Adena winner will face the winner of the second Division III district championship game on Saturday at the Convo in next Wednesday’s (March 10) regional semifinals.

That involves North Adams and Alexander, which will tip off at 1 p.m.

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

What a great article!

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

Once again, Mr. Boggs writes an excellent piece.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

GOOD LUCK tomorrow to the LADY OAKS from JEEP LAND!!! We have already burnt the CHILLI now u gals SQUASH the DOG!!! hahaha

ballfan13
Waterboy

Post by ballfan13 »

Good Luck Lady Oaks....You need some more hardware to hang on your neck. Play the D you're capable of and shut'em down!!! Bring it on!

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

We have the one of best sports writers, Paul Boggs, in the State. He is everywhere and writes great articles about all the area teams. Always a insightfull view of the local sports news. Thanks for another great story.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Sounds like Adena got hammered the first time around Christmas. Will the two girls that didn't play in that game make much of a difference this time around or is it just another warm up game for Oak Hill ?

Deeefense
Riding the Bench

Post by Deeefense »

Ready for rematch
Underdog role suits Adena just fine

BY JOEY CHANDLER • Gazette Sports Writer • March 5, 2010

All season long, Adena's played the role of the spoiler.

The Warriors ended McClain's and Unioto's perfect seasons, split a pair of games with Zane Trace, and knocked Lucasville Valley off -- a team that beat them in the regular season -- in a Division III district semifinal by 16 points.

Heading into Saturday's district final against Oak Hill at Ohio University's Convocation Center, playing the role of underdog isn't new territory for Adena (15-7). The Warriors have seen undefeated teams before and risen to the challenge.

"One thing we've talked about this week is we wrote up on the board we've kind of been giant-killers," Warriors coach Jeran Cox said.

On the same board, there are check marks next to the Tigers and the Shermans and a question mark next to the Oaks (22-0), the defending Division III state runners-up. Saturday marks Oak Hill's 14th consecutive district final appearance.

"We've kind of taken that underdog role a lot this year, and I like it," Cox said. "I told them before the Lucasville Valley game, we're not supposed to win. They beat us in the regular season, but you come out and you play hard, and you play loose, and good things are going to happen."

Saturday isn't Adena's first meeting with Oak Hill. During the regular season, the Oaks beat the Warriors 67-32.

The girls watched the first half of the game tape Sunday, not only to revisit their own weaknesses but the weaknesses of the Oaks. Afterward, the team watched the movie "Hoosiers" and have made it a point to spend as much time together this week as possible.

The bottom line is, if all of the odds seem to be stacked against the Warriors on paper, they aren't acting like it.

"They are enjoying this time, and we are planning on going down there and doing our best to win," Cox said. "We've been talking all week. We emphasized it and reemphasized it. We're not just going to play to be there. We're going to go out there and fight tooth and nails until the end of the game."

During their regular season meeting, the Warriors were without freshman Jenny Grigsby, lost senior Kirsti Yates in the first half because a concussion and lost the services of Olivia Arledge early with three fouls. Adena has Grigbsy and Yates back, but has lost Kelsey Bielanow underneath, making Arledge's presence in the paint more important.

"The first time we played them, (Rebecca) Puckett hurt us bad in the paint, and they've got four other girls who start that shoot the 3, and they bring a girl off the bench that can shoot the 3 as well," Cox said.

The Warriors have been playing at their best the past few weeks, especially on the defensive end, allowing just 24 points against Northwest in a sectional final and 30 against Valley.

"About the last two to three weeks, (point guard Autumn) Smith has really played exceptionally well. That girl can take us to the next level," Cox said. "Outside of her, everybody else is playing very consistent, and it's a good consistency. We're playing with a lot of confidence, and peaking at the right time, and our girls aren't there just to be there. They want to win, and some of them are expecting to win."

The game starts at 11 a.m.

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

I feel like I'm turning 21 at midnight waiting to go to the bar the first time!!!! Lets get after it ladies!!!! and chillidog, Im saving you a seat in the Potter Nation.....................

O...............................A.........................................

cripple93
Waterboy

Post by cripple93 »

K.........................S.................................
Let's go LADY OAKS!!!!!!!!!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Tickets at Oak Hill high school are sold out. You will have to get your tickets at the Convo when you get their tomorrow.

rabidfan
Waterboy

Post by rabidfan »

Who are the Oaks leaders in assists, steals, turnovers, etc...

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

Good luck to the lady oaks. already sold out of tickets than it should be a packed house.

rabidfan wrote:Who are the Oaks leaders in assists, steals, turnovers, etc...

im sure the lady oaks arent worried about whos leading in stats or anything. the only stat teams are worried about during this time of the year is that 'W'

rabidfan
Waterboy

Post by rabidfan »

soc2fan wrote:Good luck to the lady oaks. already sold out of tickets than it should be a packed house.

rabidfan wrote:Who are the Oaks leaders in assists, steals, turnovers, etc...

im sure the lady oaks arent worried about whos leading in stats or anything. the only stat teams are worried about during this time of the year is that 'W'

Im sure theyre not. The reason I asked was because the newspaper article told the leading scorers, i was curious what the other stats were. The convo seats 13,000, i doubt itll be a packed house.

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

not a [packed house] i was having a figure of speech with that. just sayin that there will be a good bit of fans there for Oak Hill. but I could tell you were just trying to be smart after i was saying something good about the lady oaks . sometimes i wonder why people are so rude. from your previous posts you seem to be a oak hill fan so i do not know why you got mad about me saying something positive about there team play

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

Alright ya all, my last post before the game. No internet at home and Zack Space hasnt got me my high speed he promised! Good Luck Lady Oaks!!!!!! Get after it. Ill post this weeks prayer tonight on facebook. lol

We may not have 13000, we'll have our "designated" section full!! And them some. And for the love of God, Pull the freaking bleachers out!!!!!!! Im old, cant see, and cant yell so loud anymore. I NEED to be closer.

O...........................A...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Return to “Girls Basketball”