Problems with games at the Convo

Pol pot
SE

Re: Problems with games at the Convo

Post by Pol pot »

Geno was Goce's Bitch, Humty is DJ's Bitch = an Ohio NCAA birth!

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

slamdunk wrote:I'm pumped! I predicted this game at the beginning of the week! OU is the hottest team in the MAC right now! Should be a great game on Saturday night. I will be there cheering on my Zips!!!!

Sorry you just didn't get the job done!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Anyone posting on this thread complaining about OU needs to take a trip to the Ohio Expo Center Coliseum for the Central District tournament. They charge $5 for parking, too. When you walk into the facility it smells like a combination of old cigar and burned pizza. The place is not very nice or comfortable. Concessions are very high.

The Convo is a fantastic facility. Seating is comfortable and clean. So are the restrooms. Locker rooms for the players are much, much, much better than the Coliseum. We are lucky in SE Ohio to have a facility like the Convo.

As for when to clear the gym and how much to charge, that is a district decision. Clearing the Convo after all the girls game for boys games makes sense to keep the books in order for the two tournaments. Usually we get two games for $6 and many times 3-6 games. It's the best bargain out there.

The only real gripe that holds water here are the lower level bleachers. I can understand the crowd control argument, but it would make the Convo even better to have the bleachers out.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

I would like to see OU take some of the money and PAVE THE ROAD, I hit a pot hole big enough to swallow my car up. The road is a joke right in front of the convo. Come on Athens and OU take some pride and fix the road.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

:lol: you hit a pot hole and it is OU's fault? That is a city street and is managed by the City of Athens. And FYI: that entire road is going to be redesigned into a round-about this summer. That ought to be a lot of fun!!!! And I am sure OU will be blamed for that as well.

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

Pol Pot wrote::lol: you hit a pot hole and it is OU's fault? That is a city street and is managed by the City of Athens. And FYI: that entire road is going to be redesigned into a round-about this summer. That ought to be a lot of fun!!!! And I am sure OU will be blamed for that as well.

They need to fix it, that and the road around Athens is a joke. I didn't say it was OU's fault, I would think they would have some pull with getting it fixed. Do you work at OU and I hit a nerve,or do you just like to act like an a-- hole. That street isn't managed by anyone.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You can't hit a nerve with me :) As for OU and pull you must not be from around Athens, the relationship between the Mayor and the University is anything but good. The University has been trying for two years now to cut a curb to allow access to the New Baker Center and the city will not allow the access. The City is also trying to pimp a new firetruck out of the University and the University is not biting. As for the bridge and the road they are in poor shape, but like I said (if you would read) that the entire section of road is going to be replaced, widened and a round-a-bout installed.

bobcatfan4728
Freshman Team

Post by bobcatfan4728 »

gh123 wrote:This was already said once, I'll reiterate:
The reason why the bleachers are not pulled out: They are only on ONE side of the court. Thus giving an unfair advantage to the team who fills them up. The other side is high dollar seats for basketball games. I actually went to a girls tournament game a few years ago when the bleachers were out.

If you don't like the 5 dollars for parking then stop complaining and park in a free spot and walk if that won't kill you.

OU Sports are quite competitive and they have made few offers to athletes in the area. I thought at one point there was a kid from Racine on their baseball team. The baseball team also has a kid from Parkersburg, WV. Jay Edwards of Nelsonville is (or was) on their football team, not sure what is happening there. And also, they offered Waterford's DJ Cunningham just last year I believe. On the last one, I'm not sure. The Basketball program is definitely on the rise since Groce took over. He has an outstanding recruiting class next year and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they won the MAC. They even have both of Clark Kellog's sons playing next year. The oldest transferred and sat the bench this year, but his younger brother is quite outstanding.

So, stop bashing OU and deal with it. This is a great school and a great facility.

They have pull outs on both sides of the court. the other side has seats on it not bleachers they may not want to take chance the seats get broken. That could be more to the reason of not bringing them out.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Pol Pot wrote:Geno was Goce's Bitch, Humty is DJ's witch = an Ohio NCAA birth!

Was that "NCAA birth" a boy or girl? I believe Ohio got a NCAA berth.

ervbaseball13
Riding the Bench

Post by ervbaseball13 »

Hardwood wrote:
Pol Pot wrote::lol: you hit a pot hole and it is OU's fault? That is a city street and is managed by the City of Athens. And FYI: that entire road is going to be redesigned into a round-about this summer. That ought to be a lot of fun!!!! And I am sure OU will be blamed for that as well.

They need to fix it, that and the road around Athens is a joke. I didn't say it was OU's fault, I would think they would have some pull with getting it fixed. Do you work at OU and I hit a nerve,or do you just like to act like an a-- hole. That street isn't managed by anyone.

Hardwood, some people just get it honest and can't help themselves. As far as the games at the Convo, I thought the atmosphere was better this year. Seemed to be better followings for the teams that made it there.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The atmosphere is contingent upon the quality of the game. We could put 1,500 people in the old Shade gym and a 30 point game would be like watching paint dry.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

My problem with the Convo, is that my team doesn't get there enough. Great place to play as a player and awesome place to watch a game for for the spectators. I don't mind the parking fee, but they could drop thier prices at the consession stands. But I didn't go there to eat, but to watch some great basketball in southeastern Ohio.

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Pol Pot, you make some very good points but I agree with some posters that OU has not done a very good job at all in recruiting local students and athletes. With that being said, having the tournament there is great for OU, the City of Athens, SE Ohio and in particular the young men and women who get the chance to play on the college floor-the opportunity of a lifetime! The Convo is a great place to watch a game. Hopefully, they will continue to do so and not have the basketball tourney games suffer the same fate as the State American Legion Baseball Tourney (also a great tournament to watch baseball games). Do you think OU has learned any lessons at all from the American Legion tourney fiasco to avoid such problems in the future with State and Regional High School basketball tourneys? I hope so.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

No I do not think that the University has learned it's lesson from the Legion fiasco. The top of that food chain is dis-associated with the reality of many things. Some are stil asking the question why did they leave and have their collective heads in the sand.

Recuriting is not an exact science, I still contend and no one has challenged what basketball players has Ohio lost that went to better schools and contributed? And better yet in football for every kid you tell me was missed by Ohio I can give you two who washed out.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I think Ohio needs more local players! I would much rather have a point guard from Chillicothe than one from Chicago who dropped in 23 points and dropped 8 dimes, and I would much rather have a shooting guard from Terra Haute who scores 32 than one from Kinnikinnick.

Return to “Girls Basketball”