Regional 3/11 6:15PM Waterford vs. South Webster @ Pickrtn N

dimedrop4
All State

Re: WATERFORD vs SOUTH WEBSTER (REGIONAL, P-TOWN, 03-11)

Post by dimedrop4 »

jumpstop14 wrote:No Katie Smith is not a post player. She is a shooting guard that sometimes plays point guard & rarely small forward. She is 5' 11". Was a high school All American that played Div 1 in high school. Doubt Cook will be an All American. She broke the Big 10 scoring record for men's & women's during her college career at OSU. I highly doubt Cook will be breaking any Big East scoring records. And not that the WNBA is relevant but she has been the finals MVP & a 5 time all-star. Not to mention she was the first American female to score 5,000 professional points. So comparing her to Cook isn't fair to Cook at all. That is way to much pressure & hype that I'm sorry to say she will never live up to.
Cook is a very quick, talented, hard working, all heart player. But she is no Katie Smith.

Saw where you mentioned that you doubt Cook will be an All-American...She was nominated for the All-American game this year, but didn't make the team...But still was awarded a McDonalds All-American Certificate at McDonalds in Wheelersburg the same week she broke both 2,000 points and the school scoring record for both boys and girls...I agree that she is not in the same category as Katie Smith... but I just thought I'd let you know that she is an All-American, 90th ranked overall player in the nation according to ESPN, and the 26th ranked player at the SG position...needless to say she has worked her butt off to earn all of these honors...and that's what the people of Webster respect most about her game...

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

i'm gonna keep my prediction to myself because i can never say outload that the jeeps might lose

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

dimedrop4 wrote:
jumpstop14 wrote:No Katie Smith is not a post player. She is a shooting guard that sometimes plays point guard & rarely small forward. She is 5' 11". Was a high school All American that played Div 1 in high school. Doubt Cook will be an All American. She broke the Big 10 scoring record for men's & women's during her college career at OSU. I highly doubt Cook will be breaking any Big East scoring records. And not that the WNBA is relevant but she has been the finals MVP & a 5 time all-star. Not to mention she was the first American female to score 5,000 professional points. So comparing her to Cook isn't fair to Cook at all. That is way to much pressure & hype that I'm sorry to say she will never live up to.
Cook is a very quick, talented, hard working, all heart player. But she is no Katie Smith.

Saw where you mentioned that you doubt Cook will be an All-American...She was nominated for the All-American game this year, but didn't make the team...But still was awarded a McDonalds All-American Certificate at McDonalds in Wheelersburg the same week she broke both 2,000 points and the school scoring record for both boys and girls...I agree that she is not in the same category as Katie Smith... but I just thought I'd let you know that she is an All-American, 90th ranked overall player in the nation according to ESPN, and the 26th ranked player at the SG position...needless to say she has worked her butt off to earn all of these honors...and that's what the people of Webster respect most about her game...

Federal Hocking's Iris Butcher was also awarded the same McDonald All American honor and didn't even play this entire year due to tearing out her knee. If anyone in the area could stick with Cook, it'd be her. But yeah, no where near Katie Smith. That's absurd. And the mcdonalds all American is for the best of the best, top 24 in the country. So Cook had no chance at that.

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

Swanker Pine wrote:Believe it or not, Kayla Cook has not been the leading scorer every game for the Jeeps. Kendra Clark outscored her one game. Don't count out Kaci Messer either, she can shoot the three ball pretty good and serves as another ball handler. Taylor Queen can shoot with the best of them too.

Kaci can shoot, but she can't handle the ball. She has to work on her left hand. Whenever she switches to her left hand it's either a crossover right back to her right or a carry. In my opinion she should serve as the 2 guard in this one and let Cook do most of the handling.

And as for the press that Waterford has, from what I hear the Jeeps are well aware of it, and if what I hear is correct they should be well prepared. Mrs. Johnson knows how you beat a good pressing team is learn how to beat an even better pressing team. So don't count them out just yet simply because of the press. :12223

murmur
Riding the Bench

Post by murmur »

Cheering for the SOC in this one. Good Luck to the South Webster Jeeps!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Kaci handled the ball most of the season until it was clutch time. I don't blame keek for putting the ball back in kayla's hands. And so what if they press? :lol:

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Cook is great and definitely in the top 10 our area has ever had, but not in the top 5 in my opinion. Definitely not number 1, that spot has and will always belong to Katie Smith.

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Post by RANDOMGUY »

Waterford Results
Dec. 3 at Southern 86-20 W
Dec. 7 at Marietta 75-57 L
Dec. 10 Federal Hocking 59-26 W
Dec. 17 Trimble 92-50 W
Dec. 19 Fort Frye 65-43 W
Dec. 22 at Canton Hoover 75-66 L
Jan. 2 at River View 63-28 W
Jan. 7 at Miller 82-17 W
Jan. 11 Marietta 73-69 W
Jan. 12 Parkersburg 69-46 W
Jan. 14 Eastern 55-50 W
Jan. 17 at Indian Hills 51-46 W
Jan. 20 Parkersburg South 64-49 W
Jan. 21 Southern 110-14 W
Jan. 28 at Federal Hocking 78-32 W
Jan. 30 at Fort Frye 50-31 W
Feb. 4 Miller 67-19 W
Feb. 8 at Trimble 74-45 W
Feb. 11 at Eastern 57-38 W
Feb. 13 at Parkersburg South 59-53 L

Thank you trivalleyconference.com

SW Results

Not Finding anything yet. PLEASE HELP ME.

I would like to see the level of competition played by both schools in a comparative way before a prediction can be made.

From H20ford's Schedule they played some fierce non-league games this year. Marietta twice, Parkersburg South twice, North Canton Hoover, and Indian Hills.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

South Websters results regular season

Nov 30 Portsmouth West 67-46 W DIII
Dec 03 at Northwest 45-36 W DIII
Dec 07 Oak Hill 70-31 L DIII
Dec 10 Minford 58-55 L DIII
Dec 14 at Wheelersburg 65-54 W DIII
Dec 17 Waverly 69-32 W DII
Dec 21 Chesapeake 71-54 W DIII
Dec 28 (at Harvest Prep) Carroll ??-?? L DII
Dec 29 at Clay 57-37 W DIV
Jan 11 at P.West 65-59 W DIII
Jan 14 NorthWest 56-38 W DIII
Jan 16 at Valley 72-62 L DIII
Jan 18 at Oak Hill 81-54 L DIII
Jan 21 at Minford 69-58 W DIII
Jan 23 at Green 69-58 W DIV
Jan 28 Wheelersburg 60-45 W DIII
Feb 01 Sciotoville East 57-36 W DIV
Feb 04 at Waverly 64-49 W DII
Feb 08 at Portsmouth 56-48 W DIII
Feb 16 Valley 67-56 W DIII

I will double check on the score of all of these game an get the score from the Carroll one also.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

meow_mix wrote: They also shut down Leanne Ross from Marietta and if you haven't seen her play she is fast and either drives or pops up a 3 every time.

She had 30pts first game and 22 pts second game for a 26 pts average. Glad she was shut down.

JEEP
Waterboy

Post by JEEP »

fighting_falcon wrote:
meow_mix wrote: They also shut down Leanne Ross from Marietta and if you haven't seen her play she is fast and either drives or pops up a 3 every time.

She had 30pts first game and 22 pts second game for a 26 pts average. Glad she was shut down.

:lol:

meow_mix
Waterboy

Post by meow_mix »

fighting_falcon wrote:
meow_mix wrote:They also shut down Leanne Ross from Marietta and if you haven't seen her play she is fast and either drives or pops up a 3 every time.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... 18737.html
http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... 17863.html

you might wanna get your facts right before you make a statement like that. Second game was 19 and 7-19 shooting. Not a good shooting night. It's hard not to get 19 points that night if you shoot almost 20 times. The first game she had 30 only shooting 17 times. And the second game she had quite a few turnovers as well. The first game was just a beating but Emily Brown was out with a broken hand that game. That being said I think Waterford will be ready for SW and SW is nowhere near the team Marietta is either.

jumpstop14
Waterboy

Post by jumpstop14 »

I'm not sure about the comparison between SW & Marietta. My opinion though is that Waterford won't shut down Cook. The saying goes you cannot stop her you can only wish to contain her. If you start double & triple teaming a player like Cook she is good enough to find the open teammate & if she doesn't 25% of the time she will score out of a double team anyway. So I say man up & just play your normal game. Cook can dominate this game scoring 20 or less points just by all the extra added attention she may get. It isn't about proving you can shut her down or contain her. Let her get her points & try to shut down the less talented role players on the team. She can't outscore Waterford's whole team by herself. I'm not meaning leave her wide open but just keep her in front of you & make her shoot over top of a hand. Easier said than done due to her quickness but all Waterford should do is play the type of help side man defense that they know how. They play a zone & it gives the role players from SW open looks & if they start making them they just gain confidence, which is the last thing they want to happen.
Should be a great game.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I've watched Waterford execute their strategy against one or two strong player teams and they've not lost in the last four years in the TVC. I'm not a Waterford backer, I'm from Fed Hock, and I've watched SW play as well, and how they try to set up Cook to score on every possesion. Even though I'm no Jerry Close fan, I'm sure that he will have his team extremely well prepared to deal with Cook, and how SW tries to get her a scoring opportunity each and every time up the court.

Will he go box and one? I'd be really, really be surprised to throw a junk defense out there. I know how much depth and talent the Waterford team has, and Coach Close should not have to resort to a "junk" defense.

I'm an unbiased third party, who has seen both teams play in the last 12 months. Waterford should win this game going away, no point spread prediction from this hombre'.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I hear the Lady Jeeps have been working harder than ever at practice this week...alot of excitement in the air!!! I just have this gut feeling that we're gonna win this one!! GO JEEPS!!!

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

meow_mix wrote:
fighting_falcon wrote:
meow_mix wrote:They also shut down Leanne Ross from Marietta and if you haven't seen her play she is fast and either drives or pops up a 3 every time.

http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... 18737.html
http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/conte ... 17863.html

you might wanna get your facts right before you make a statement like that. Second game was 19 and 7-19 shooting. Not a good shooting night. It's hard not to get 19 points that night if you shoot almost 20 times. The first game she had 30 only shooting 17 times. And the second game she had quite a few turnovers as well. The first game was just a beating but Emily Brown was out with a broken hand that game. That being said I think Waterford will be ready for SW and SW is nowhere near the team Marietta is either.

I stand corrected. You are right, Waterford held her to her season average in the second meeting. Your statement was holding her down and I merely pointed out 30 and the corrected amount of 19 is still 24 pts per game.

Good Luck Waterford.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Good Luck to our neighbor and fellow SOC 2 team South Webster on Thursday night!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Congrats to Cook and King for being named co-players of the year in D4 SE by the AP. So this game will match-up the two POY's teams. I'm thinking that the rest of the Waterford team will demonstrate that they are a better team and will prevail in this game.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Correctomundo, MHS............

RANDOMGUY
Riding the Bench

Post by RANDOMGUY »

After comparing, and mostly reading this thread and forming my own opinions based on other posters bias, personal emotions, personal vendettas, and irrational perdictions based upon these things, I have decided.

1. Cook goes for 20 +.
2. Waterford's team is better.
3. There will be 10 pages to this thread by Monday.
4. No one would give either of these teams a chance against Berlin Hiland or Africentric.
5. Reese's Pieces ar ethe best chocolate covered peanut butter candies ever.
6. Steely Dan is "not a Jerry Close fan" (Just fun, no disrespect)
7. Waterford Probably wins.
8. Someone, whoever looses, will blame the refs.

All that and Good luck to all involed.

Return to “Girls Basketball”