Belpre looking for new head coach

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Re: Belpre looking for new head coach

Post by zerotosixtynforty »

ccrunner wrote:I thought Belpre's coach did a good job, having to put up with the stuff she did from some of the so called "fans". I think the JV coach did a good job too. She would be a good hire. The Belpre girls played hard and hustled for both coaches so that shows me they liked playing for them.

ccrunner points are that both coaches did the very best that they could for both JV and Varsity and end results are JV's never won a game and Varsity 5 - 17, not saying the coaches didn't give it their all for program and or team's, despite their best efforts and the best efforts they got from their players past three seasons under their tenure aren't very good. Don't think any posters on here have ever question their efforts or intentions . . .Just time for a change. QUOTE: " The Belpre girls played hard and hustled for both coaches so that shows me they liked playing for them." I believe that some like/enjoy playing for both but the program drove off an All TVC post player two year letterman, also another two year letterman, a three letterman, also believe that another two year letterman walkout and returned through encouragement from teammates, and another All TVC All District player was on the verge . . so not all liked playing for them, played for the school, played for friends, and at first probably played for the coaches. Best efforts, pool results bottom line. . .great people though I like them both too. . . .just time for a change . . . dealing with naysayers is part of coaching comes with the job, no matter how unruley they can be. . always someone going to BOO, Complain, gripe, question ur offense, defense, lineups again comes with the job, if u can't deal with it, wrong job selection. . .Wish coach Hanes best of luck and sure she will get back into it somewhere down the road. . . Hope that Belpre School Board finds a suitable new head coach that will get the progams bach on track . . .

funnywon1
Waterboy

Post by funnywon1 »

Zero- the post player did not play but through watching her play the year before and what has been said she still was not comfortable with her knee recovery. Another player choose to not come out do to her own reasons but did support the program. Three year letterman quit due to lack of playing time...like you said earlier it isn't rec ball. Some other players quit at convenient times for themselves. it is amazing what you learn from the players. Some players will play and some may not I wish the program luck.

Fury27
Riding the Bench

Post by Fury27 »

The post player that left the program did not leave because of her knee recovery.....I know that for a FACT!!!!!!! She tore her ACL in Mid July of 2008 and never missed a practice or game starting Nov 1st of that same year. Maybe not a 100%, but definitely competitive and made a lot of things happen. Coach Haynes is well aware why this player left, and knows what her actions were that lead to this decision. The fact is, unless you have been in the Belpre program, and know for a fact that there are only 2 plays at best that were ran, Scissors and Cookies for Heaven sake, you know that Hiring within is not going to better this program. What plays were ran differently on JV? None! Everyone had the same plays and at times it just felt like a crapshoot as to which one was ran.....alternating possessions, run this play in the 1st and 3rd, and the other in the 2nd and 4th......you pick. And forget about the defense! A good coach will analyze his or her team and know what their strengths and weaknesses are, and play teams accordingly. Man to Man was all that poor team ever ran, and I know for a fact, there was no blazing speed, fast footed girls that could run that man to man defense the whole game. Lets be real....just because you are a teacher and want to coach, or have coached in the past, doesn't make you a good coach, or the right candidate. A proven record, true knowledge of the game, and the ability to recognize and strategize against your opponents offense and defense makes a good coach. Let the best candidate for the job be chosen for their credentials, and not because he or she is a "Good Teacher" or "Great Person" Been there, done that, program is still suffering. We need someone who will recruit talent and someone who girls want to play for, not someone who will make more girls decide not to play.

funnywon1
Waterboy

Post by funnywon1 »

Fury 27 - You do make some points about analyzing other peoples plays and things...maybe you should apply for the job and maybe then "your" post player would play! And just for some info....JV did run a few different plays then the Varsity did, but alot has to stay common b/c so many girls played both ways. You can ask anyone, we also ran different defenses other than just man. Like I have said, I and many others would like to have Coach Reck (Giffin) as a coach, but no matter who the coach is support from the community and especially the parents is needed. I sometimes wonder why people would want the job with all the complaining. Good luck lady eagles.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

funnywon1, coaches love the opportunity to come in and change a program around and be associated with that change, to teach, mentor, advise, motivate, and watch players improve, become a part of something, grow, mature, the excitement of competition, to overcome adversity. The great coaches have faced the adverities, of complaining parents, alumni's, school boards, and took the criticism, faced the 0 and whatever seasons head on and beat the odds and see the fruits of their labor. . . the greatest accomplishment of a coach is to see former players and have them thank you for what you did for them athletically, socially, and they became a better person because of it . . .that makes it all worth it . . .is it for everybody, no way. But hope as you do that the next hire whom ever that will be can be that for our young ladies . . .support of the community would be nice but the community is mostly made up of the parents . . . double edge sword . . . aaahhhh the life of a coach . . .

funnywon1
Waterboy

Post by funnywon1 »

Zero- I agree with you completely with what coaches look forward to doing for programs. There is a double edged sword and coaches need to know they will never make everyone happy. Only five kids play at a time...the key is having the ones on the bench and the parents in the stands cheering for the ones on the floor and not throwing knives at them. Everyone seems to have the answers as to who should or more of shouldn't get the coaching job. Just support the program and the decision that is made. Does anyone know if anyone has been interviewed or when it will be filled?

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Mister B r u out there? have any insight on who's being considered/interviewed ur our insider on this. . .

WHS79
Waterboy

Post by WHS79 »

Will gladly give you back Ryan Werry for a year 2025 draft pick. Nice guy perhaps but no basketball coach, reminds me of the farmer who works all day and night but only can grow 50% of his crops. Because he doesn't know how to farm. Werry is only going to win 50% of his games because he doesn't know s__t about defense, only a little better on offense. So please take him back.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

like him or not WHS79, Werry's here to stay. Get over it.

I hate to say what I am about to say, but its the honest truth. Belpre SHOULD look at Warren's staff: at assistant coaches Curry Ryan and Steve Denton. They are both class coaches who understand the game and are superb motivators. I know a girl who feared Denton with all her heart when she started her freshman season, and by the end of the year cried when he shook her hand at the banquet because she knew she wouldn't get to play for him full-time the next year. If either of them are interested in a head coaching job, they'd be great candidates.

Warren would really be trouble if THEY leave, though.

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

Just heard a new addition to the list of applicants for head coach. . .cc coach, cunningham has thrown his hat into the ring . . .wow, how bout tim the janitor believe he has some basketball coaching experience . . no offense tim . . .

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Wow. All I can say to the Lady Golden Eagles is good luck. I'm sure as hell happy that I didn't have to deal with this kind of drama with my kids and who was going to coach them....... :roll: :roll: ;-)

sportsfanatic4life
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic4life »

OK ZERO, done shaking my head now. NO WHERE did I say she wasnt one of Belpres top players. But take on ALL COMERS? And you talk yourself in circles saying only one other girl was willing to bang inside but a few lines later saying dribblers dribble shooters shoot etc. Each girl usually has 1 or 2 things they do well. Yours does hers well. Never said she didnt. But Belpre didnt have much size last year in height or width. They had a few girls that did there couple of things well. A couple that could handle the ball ok. A couple that shoot and couple that would "bang". And I certainly didnt say a change wasnt needed. I saw them play. There had been no improvement in the past 3 years. Hate it for the girls, but until they come together as a team and win and lose together as a team it wont matter who is coaching that team. FACT OR FICTION!!!??? I think this entire forum should end now for Belpres sake. For the girls, the parents and for whoever takes over as coach. This isnt doing anyone any good. Embarrassing! It is really making you all at Belpre look bad. Most of Belpres girls would just like to get there new coach, whoever it may be, and get a clean start in the Hocking Division. Good Luck to Belpres Lady Eagles. Just go play basketball girls! It ends to quick to deal with this garbage!

zerotosixtynforty
JV Team

fanatic, this forum was started to inform of coaching vacancy at Belpre, and not a who's who on the belpre roster, superstar, quote "If your so called 'top player' doesn't come out to play, that just makes more room for others....and that player is not hurting anyone but themselves..."...quote "It should be what's best for the school and the "program" not what's best for your star athlete. Did you play in a D1 school? Bet not. The program doesn't revolve around "your" player!!! And believe it or not.... Character is everything!!! Without character your athlete isn't squat!!!!", quote: "Having those "titles" doesn't make you a leader or have character. The threat of a"star" player not participating doesn't hurt the program. Again this is about the girls team- being the loudest doesn't make a person a leader" & urself quote: "Take on all comers? Please! Belpre had 1 girl average double figures & 1 just below it. Then there was - 8 PTS 10 REBS 3 TO 1 ASST and 3 STEALS - This does not make you ready to take on all comers. :lol: Becoming more of a team player and making everyone around you better is what that team needs. Get rid of the personal agendas and forget about school rebounding records you might be able to break when your team is 5-17. This team had NO girls ready to take on all comers. By the way it is a 5 on 5 game. You need them all!!! Thanks DL. :roll: " and also added ur cute little emodicons,,
So if i m not mistaken, u two have made it otherwise, IMO u two have zoomed in on the fact that in my post of if Belpre schools would hire this coach or that coach, which pertained to the topic of "Belpre looking for a new coach", that a certain player would prefer not to play for that person, quote"i know for certain that one of the top players they had last year will not, repeat will not be on the roster." notice i said
"one of" the top players and not the only top player, to a whole new topic rearing its head of weather or not this player measures up to ur standards and have questioned her character, leadership, team playing, statistics, community status, and so this became a forum of mudslingging about a young lady. But she has broad shoulders and can take it all and she quotes, "They don't know me, they don't know have a clue to my work ethic, my pride, and it doesn't bother me on what they say. . " . .and my posts were defending this athlete from attack, looks like u know me and don't particularly care for me, with the "Thanks DL. :roll: " which is fine, I too have big shoulders, also a big mouth, 3xl waist, but will defend this athlete to my grave. . .fanatic, when the program has fallen this far it is embarrassing, but it is what it is, when ur at the bottom u, ur program, ur team get kick around, and as u say, i say too that i hope the next coach can turn program around for the positive, a clean slate, and headed in the right direction, whoever that me be . . .Go Lady Eagles . . . .

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

This would be a great program for a young and ambitious person. Someone who wants to put in the time and energy to rebuild, not only a program, but an entirely new system. A great place to prove oneself's coaching ability. The potential is there if the right person is hired, that can and will start at the bottom. A positive attitude, and determination could produce a winning team in a few years; not going to happen over night.
I would love to do that if only I were 15 years younger; oh well maybe 20.
I wish the Lady Eagles the best luck in the TVC Hocking.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

VIKED_MAN wrote:This would be a great program for a young and ambitious person. Someone who wants to put in the time and energy to rebuild, not only a program, but an entirely new system. A great place to prove oneself's coaching ability. The potential is there if the right person is hired, that can and will start at the bottom. A positive attitude, and determination could produce a winning team in a few years; not going to happen over night.
I would love to do that if only I were 15 years younger; oh well maybe 20.
I wish the Lady Eagles the best luck in the TVC Hocking.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, with a couple of additional comments. The coach had better be ready to deal with a bunch of parent coaches for a year or two, who think that they can coach the Lady Eagles (their kids) to success....

So, thick skin, long-term vision, undying enthusiasm, eternal optimism, and a strong filter for constant criticism with no praise, are pre-requisites for the next Belpre Girls Varsity Coach, IMHO....... :shock:
Last edited by Steely Dan on Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

And yes, I may have set a couple of heads on fire with that last post... LOL!!!!!!!!!Image

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

The truth hurts sometimes!

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

You all talk like this team had no talent last year or wont for several years. They are a D4 team who did not play a D4 team last year until there Sectional game vs. Miller, which they won by like 40. When they move to the Hocking Division next year with the girls they have now they will win alleast 10 to 13 games. Minimum of ten. They had 1 senior with a good Sophomore and Junior class returning. Probably will get a couple of other girls to come BACK out now too with a NEW coach. I HOPE! You know who you are. Get in the gym girls. They all want you back. They will be fine. Good Luck Lady Eagles. Keep your heads up. You'll be fine.

eagle1
Waterboy

Post by eagle1 »

Any truth to the Rumors that an AAU coach named Roger Flowers has been talking with Belpre administration to take over the basketball program as their new girls head coach.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

ssbball wrote:You all talk like this team had no talent last year or wont for several years. They are a D4 team who did not play a D4 team last year until there Sectional game vs. Miller, which they won by like 40. When they move to the Hocking Division next year with the girls they have now they will win alleast 10 to 13 games. Minimum of ten. They had 1 senior with a good Sophomore and Junior class returning. Probably will get a couple of other girls to come BACK out now too with a NEW coach. I HOPE! You know who you are. Get in the gym girls. They all want you back. They will be fine. Good Luck Lady Eagles. Keep your heads up. You'll be fine.

I sorta agree with what you say. (I think just about every team beat Miller by about 40!) That's why I said it would be a good place for someone out to establish a re-building coaches resume to take over.
If you read my post I stated that talent is there just needs to be exploited. I would not go as far as to say they will win 10+ games next year. I hope they do, and more.
Did they have a Jv team this past season? If so that helps. If not? That is the first thing the new coach must do is get the girls out! Start with numbers show them how to have fun playing basketball, and then it is easier to make them better. Sounds simple; could be for the right person.
The main thing is the kids. All high school athletes deserve a caring well prepared person as a coach. I hope the lady Eagles gets someone like that.
GOOD LUCK!

Return to “Girls Basketball”