NEED HELP on old Minford game

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

NEED HELP on old Minford game

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Hopefully someone down Minford way can help on this one. I am researching the Vinton County girls basketball program from its inception and have not been able to come up with information on the VC-Minford game for the 87-88 season.

The game was scheduled for Feb. 6 and I am fairly certain it was not played on that Sat. night. After exhausting local sources, I went to Portsmouth to look up information in the Portsmouth Daily Times. There was no report of the game. The reason I believe it was not played is because in following the Minford schedule in the PDT, Minford was 6-10 after beating Valley on 2/4 and then they were 6-11 after losing to NW on 2/8.

Therefore, I think the VC game was played on Feb 16 or 17 with Minford winning the game because Minford was 7-12 for the season after losing to Green on Feb 15 in the regular season and then they were 9-12 after their win over S. Webster in their first tournament game on Feb 18.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. What I need is a score for the game and how many points were scored by each VC player.

Thanks in advance.

FalconX
JV Team

Re: NEED HELP on old Minford game

Post by FalconX »

I know Minford's library usually has a yearbook from every school year. You might check with them, or with Karen Miller (now retired) who coached at that time. Jim Parkes is the AD and coached the girls for many years following Karen Miller. He may have the original scorebook.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I can tell your from experience that yearbooks are often wrong but they are a great place to start. I assume that you have look up the Vinton County already. Minford is pretty helpful about getting such information if it is available.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

drrabbit,

I know that yearbooks are not a good source. I have looked for this info on microfilm of the Vinton County Courier, Jackson and wellston papers, chillicothe Gazette, ironton tribune and the Portsmouth Times. Couldn't find anything.

E-mailed the Minford AD on August 31, nothing back yet.

Hopefully, someone will come through.

Return to “Girls Basketball”