Symmes Valley lady vikings

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Re: lady vikings

Post by tagyourit »

Lvhoops I disagree with the statement that all but Morris should have been playing jayvee this year. i do not think kayla hayes would have or she wouldn't have started games as a freshman.

lvhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by lvhoops »

Kayla Hayes was not a starter last year. This was her first year as a starter (sophomore) and she did a super job. I guess with all of the young players this year, many could have benefited by playing JV even it if was only for two quarters. Experience is always key in the progression of any player. Just my opinion. I am someone who is on the outside looking in. Not trying to start any controvery what so ever.

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

my bad I thought she did but you are probably right. I agree the youngerplayers could have benefit from even two quarters. will there be enough for jayvee next season? symmes valley is a softball school but numbers aren't bad for that. what can be done to get kids off the couch and playing in the winter? would be great to see some more kids come out

I am curious to griswolds question too how many sectionals?

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

JV time is crutial to all players. I don t know of one girl that does summer activites that invlove picking up a basketball.
They wanT to step in and play Varsity and stART. They are all superstars just ask their parents they will tell you.
Coach Byrant has work outs she does every summer. She has to fight tooth and nail every summer to get every one to show up.
She puts the time in with these girls and alot of effort.

Sv has had ok teams through the past eight years but no teams that had five players on the floor at one time that were just excellent athletes.
You have to have more than just one or two players that are scoring threats to win conferences and sectionals.
You need five good starters on the floor and at least three great assets to come off the bench.
Just rumor but I hear that all the 8th graders playing this year arent sure if they will play high school
ball. I wish they would cause by the time they are juniors and seniors they would have a lot bigger talent
pool than what we have seen in years past.
Its up to these girls and right now they are more interested in other things.
So with Morris being out over half the season and Humphrey being the only other senior,
I say the future looks pretty good for the lady vikes.
They will return Hayes, Johnson, Maynard, Hunt and Davis.
I say if nothing changes and someone doesnt work their way to a starting position ...that these will
be your starting five for next season..and not to mention there will be no seniors on next years team.....
These five have seen alot of playing time together and should only get better....especially those
freshman that had to step it up this year.....
So with that being said....Hang in there coach Bryant and I will be there to cheer the lady vikes on....

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

nice post osu

Clark Griswold
Waterboy

Post by Clark Griswold »

I agree also that JV is a major part of the development of a player. But I do need to clarify a few previous comments that were made:

When I said talent in my previous post I was not referring to 5 All-Americans on the floor. Let's remember we are talking about Southern Ohio Division IV basketball in this forum. Notre Dame won a sectional the other night, are you saying they have 5 stellar athletes on the floor and 3 good athletes coming off the bench? If you consider the SOC champions the past years it's been New Boston, Clay, Portsmouth East, to name a few. If you look at sectional winners they include Beaver Eastern, South Gallia, Green, Clay, New Boston, Notre Dame. Would you consider all of these teams to have had 5 excellent athletes on the floor when they won these championships?

I don't mean to sound rude but I just think Symmes Valley has/had the potential to accomplish these things. But when you blame your program on lack of interest and the softball program it doesn't seem like much is being done to turn it around, and this mentality that the girls basketball team doesn't win championships because the talent just isn't there and everyone just plays softball has become acceptable when it isn't.

Just a question, would this same mentality be accepted in the boy's program or does it just not matter because they are girls....

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Never said ALL AMERICAN anything.
Said five good athletes. Five players that play well together
and five players that can score.
Does Notre Dame have five stellar starters on the floor?
Well SV girls did beat them at home at the beginning of the season.
Im not sure but I think they have what at least three seniors this year.
I could be wrong but I know I have seen these girls come up through the ranks
and they do have more than just a couple girls that can shoot.
They are aggressive and have girls come off the bench that are good players.
SV has no bench....zero.....We have two sophomores on the floor and the rest freshman..
and one senior that graduates this year.
We as parents can only try and motivate...as for blaming it on softball....I dont
blame it on anything.....lack of alot of things ..

I do see your point......

lvhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by lvhoops »

Griswold, as far as the sectionals, have you looked at the difference in the two brackets this year? The Northwest bracket had teams mostly from the SOC . Clay I believe ended up with 5 to 6 losses and got a #1 seed. We beat ND and East (same record as SV). East was a #3 seed. The sect. bracket from Athens is one of the most loaded brackets in the state. Waterford and Eastern Reedsville both were ranked in the state and Eastern still is. This bracket was mad up of almost all TVC school which is a very tough conference. Belpre and South Gallia also very competetive this year. Our kids was seeded a #7 seed and had to face #12 ranked Eastern. They hung tough and then even cut the lead to three early in the 1st half, but they had to much talent and wore us down. We are not talking about the boys program. They have had the numbers for years. Our enrollment now has more boys in the school than girls, which is a switch. I get what you are saying Griswold, I really do. Coach Bryant puts on camps and goes to camps and works with our girls during the summer. OSU is right. It is up to the players to pick up a basketball and work on their game in the off season , and not many do if any. I also think that skills and fundamentals are not being corrected in the feeder program or junior high. I don't know how many games I saw SV play this year and they lost because of turnovers, due to lack of ball handling skills. Most of our young players can not dribble with their head up and can't dribble with their left or right. How many coaches has the junior high had in the past 6 years? It is usually a parent who wants to coach their kid and then they leave. Coach Bryant and Coach Bess work hard during the season trying to correct these things with our fresmen and sophomores, while other teams have players who leave their junior high with good ball handling skills and shooting skills and contribute to their programs right away. Hopefully the coaches over there now is working on that and will stay around for a while so they can become more consistent. I am not making excuses for anyone. Maybe coach Bryant should work more closely with the junior high programs. Yes, our junior high may win games and that is great. Coaching takes patience on any level. But the junior high is the place where fundamentals have to be stressed every day. Maybe they are doing that and the kids do not work on changing their shot or don't want to work hard enough to change it.
That is why softball is also successful. They have senior league that helps their players during the summer and make the neccessary corrections so the players will get better. That is just my two cents worth, not that it matters to much, I will always support our Lady Vikings in any sport they are involved in. Coach Bryant, keep working hard, I know the players appreciate you for it!! Good luck!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

ND has no seniors on the roster . We started 2 Jr's and 3 Soph's. -- and a freshman off the bench led them in scoring in the sectional win. Entire team back for 2012.

I totally agree about the JV games being crucial. The AD's/Coach's at every SOC 1 school need to scratch/plead/promote or whatever to assure teams have enough girls to play a FULL jv schedule. At a minimum get the 2 quarters in. We had several times this season where there was no JV game. Thats bad for everyone involved . MD

Maroon Shorts
Riding the Bench

Post by Maroon Shorts »

footballfanatic1 wrote:MAROON SHORTS....NOT VC VIKINGS
Okay, relax. Simple mistake. Maybe next time the post should be the city or county then the school eh?

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

agreed....

childhoodmemories
Waterboy

Post by childhoodmemories »

Just Asking- Will Coach Bryant be back for the 2011-2012 season ?

TRUTH
Waterboy

Post by TRUTH »

I hope so because all the girls love her and Mr. Bess.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Coach Bryant announced to the girls the other day
At school that she would be stepping down.
Hate to hear it.
All they need is some parent in there thinking they
Can coach. Hopefully the board will post the job and hire someone
Who is qualified.
Miss Bryant will be missed.

TRUTH
Waterboy

Post by TRUTH »

I agree.

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

Have to agree parents arent always theanswer for coach at the high school level. Who all is applying for the job?

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

awful quiet out here in the valley....

limbojoan
Waterboy

Post by limbojoan »

?

TIM RIGGINS 33
Waterboy

Post by TIM RIGGINS 33 »

Has a coach been chosen for the Lady Vikings ?

cornhuskers68
Waterboy

Post by cornhuskers68 »

Sorry to hear that Ms.Bryant is stepping down after so many years of coaching,she was a great coach & the girls will miss her...I don't know if they have chosen a coach to replace Bryant or not but in my opnion i think they need to look at ALL their options and choose the best & it shouldn't be a parent of a player or a future player.They need to pick someone from the outside that has experience in coaching! I have heard of several people that are applying for the job & their best candidate would be Mr. Walker(Brandon) he has experience in coaching at he Junior high & High school levels..He would be the best person for the job.I would hope the board will take experience into consideration & not choose someone just because of who they are...Good Luck Lady Vikes!!!!!

Return to “Girls Basketball”