renob
Freshman Team

Re: Wahama vs Waterford score?

Post by renob »

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Another case of Waterfords coach not having a spine. 24-2 after 1 and win by 50, come on

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:Another case of Waterfords coach not having a spine. 24-2 after 1 and win by 50, come on
Yes a real classy guy. Saw one the other night where he did call off the press, but his players still kept relentless pressure on in the half court. Up 30 something to 1 and still getting steals and fast breaks and turnovers. Real classy.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Work on your 2-3 zone or something

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:Work on your 2-3 zone or something
At least tell them to quit stealing the ball. When you are up 30 points and the other team is still to get a shot off, couldn't you let them shoot a few times so you can work on rebounding? If they hit the shots then go back to playing tight defense again. How good does it make you to continually hound a player who struggles to dribble the ball when no one is near her, let alone when someone is all over her? It is not like you are going to see that in the tourny. It also causes the officials to be lulled to sleep and then sloppy play ensues, which can cause even the good team to pick up bad habits. I just don't get it.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

So none of you who critize were there. I was there and saw nothing wrong with the way the coach played the game. I am not a Waterford fan or parent just someone who was watching a game. Coach split his ten or eleven girls up, called up a few freshman and they played. No pressing was done, they moved the ball around and just made shots. Waterford is the same size school as the schools they are playing as far sas number of kids. If other schools decide not to promote girls basketball and do all the things that make Waterford successful then that is up to them. Don't complain about how games turn out when they play programs that do nothing to get better.

I also didn't see one of you critize Fort Frye the other night when they handed another TVC team a 70-15 beating?? ??

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

The Wizard wrote:So none of you who critize were there. I was there and saw nothing wrong with the way the coach played the game. I am not a Waterford fan or parent just someone who was watching a game. Coach split his ten or eleven girls up, called up a few freshman and they played. No pressing was done, they moved the ball around and just made shots. Waterford is the same size school as the schools they are playing as far sas number of kids. If other schools decide not to promote girls basketball and do all the things that make Waterford successful then that is up to them. Don't complain about how games turn out when they play programs that do nothing to get better.

I also didn't see one of you critize Fort Frye the other night when they handed another TVC team a 70-15 beating?? ??

I stated that I did see them play this year. And I have seen them several times in the past. I did give them credit for taking off the press. In the games in recent years I have seen they have not taken the pressure off though, at least until they get into foul trouble. And sometimes not even then. In one game I witnessed there were 28 fouls called in the first half. Yet still the half court pressure was applied. The other teams players became frustrated, and it got ugly. I would have hated to officiate that game. Elbows were flying, shoving, hacking etc... from both teams. Yes many players came off the bench, but the play was the same. I am just saying that if I was the coach I would handle it differently. But I am not, so he can do what he wants. However, that does not prevent me from voicing my opinion on here, nor does it prevent you from doing so.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

AMen

re
Waterboy

Post by re »

? WHY IS IT THAT WATERFORD AND OAK HILL OAKS DO NOT PLAY EACH OTHER IT WOULD BE A GOOD GAME, BOTH FROM SOUTHEAST AREA NOT THAT FAR APART ???????

hiabuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by hiabuckeye »

I was there. Underclassman played as many quarters as they could. Trouble was, they are pretty good to. Kids practice hard and are expected to play hard in the games. Thats how you get better. The kids comin of the bench have every right to play as hard as they can. Some get very little chance for varsity time. A good coach expects his players to play hard 100 % of the time. Good fans should appreciate the same. Trust me, the coach hates lopsided games as much as anyone else. He doesn't do the scheduling tho. Waterford has a very good program and 2 great, class coaches. And by the way, I'm not from Waterford either. Enough said.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill and Waterford are about 92 miles apart according to Mapquest, but they will be playing on January 15th in the shoot out at Pickerington Central.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Good programs procreate. Waterford has this in place. Girls and those who sub will play as best they can. Coaches can dictate ideas and work on issues but this is difficult to do if the competition is subpar.There seems to be some issues with the game scheduling. IMO.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

hiabuckeye wrote:I was there. Underclassman played as many quarters as they could. Trouble was, they are pretty good to. Kids practice hard and are expected to play hard in the games. Thats how you get better. The kids comin of the bench have every right to play as hard as they can. Some get very little chance for varsity time. A good coach expects his players to play hard 100 % of the time. Good fans should appreciate the same. Trust me, the coach hates lopsided games as much as anyone else. He doesn't do the scheduling tho. Waterford has a very good program and 2 great, class coaches. And by the way, I'm not from Waterford either. Enough said.
Though they are different sports, I still equate this to the football game in which one team has a 40 point lead. Yes you play your young players, and you want them to play hard. But do you still stunt and blitz on every down on defense even when play after play your JV defense is getting tackle after tackle for a loss? And do you keep throwing the ball deep for touchdown after touchdown? I would think not. Back to basketball now. Does the coach not have the ability to tell the players to back off a little bit? Still play hard, but don't reach and slap at the ball repeatedly and trap to get a steal on every possession for a layup. Just a thought.

Spiderjon
Freshman Team

Post by Spiderjon »

What do you want him to do? Take off the press? He did that! Play younger kids? He did that! These girls and coaches work their butts off 12 months a year to be good. Are the other programs putting in this much time? How about the other teams work harder instead of expecting a good team to play down to the level of a bad team? It is not fair to these girls to have to sit half or more of a game because the other team cannot compete.

Also, they play these teams because they are in their league.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

spiderjon wrote:What do you want him to do? Take off the press? He did that! Play younger kids? He did that! These girls and coaches work their butts off 12 months a year to be good. Are the other programs putting in this much time? How about the other teams work harder instead of expecting a good team to play down to the level of a bad team? It is not fair to these girls to have to sit half or more of a game because the other team cannot compete.

Also, they play these teams because they are in their league.

Leave your starters in for all I care. And fast break the heck out of em.' But you don't have to continually hound the other teams point guard, or whoever has the ball the whole game when your up by 30-40 points. Not only does that embarrass the other team, but when they get sloppy and angry you risk injury to your own players.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

So one team was aggressive. I would expect girls 8,9,10,11,12 to come on the floor and work on what they work on everyday in practice. If you fault the girls for effort or desire to become the best player they can then as you said that is your opinion. My opinion would be for the girls to play hard ever second they are on the floor. They may be called upon in the District Finals or Regionals and need to be ready.

When you start to stand around and go half speed is when injuries occur.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

The Wizard wrote:So one team was aggressive. I would expect girls 8,9,10,11,12 to come on the floor and work on what they work on everyday in practice. If you fault the girls for effort or desire to become the best player they can then as you said that is your opinion. My opinion would be for the girls to play hard ever second they are on the floor. They may be called upon in the District Finals or Regionals and need to be ready.

When you start to stand around and go half speed is when injuries occur
Yes I have seen a lot of injuries during shoot arounds and half speed walk throughs. :lol:

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

I would never expect players to give those types of efforts. Maybe you need to go to the Y or somewhere to watch if that is your idea of backing off. First I would not insult the other team by giving less than an honest effort.
I have seen alot of injuries when girls are messing around in open gyms or at the park in the summer ranging from bloody noses to ACL's. One girl playing hard and fast and one not can cause alot of problems and injuries, they didn't think it was funny as you do.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

The Wizard wrote:I would never expect players to give those types of efforts. Maybe you need to go to the Y or somewhere to watch if that is your idea of backing off. First I would not insult the other team by giving less than an honest effort.
I have seen alot of injuries when girls are messing around in open gyms or at the park in the summer ranging from bloody noses to ACL's. One girl playing hard and fast and one not can cause alot of problems and injuries, they didn't think it was funny as you do.
I am sure in a recent game I saw similar to this one that the girl who got elbowed in the nose by a frustrated opponent, and immediately started gushing blood didn't think it was funny either.

Anyway, I never said a player should not play hard. Do you have to play half court trap defense to be considered playing hard. I have seen a lot of teams play their arses off in a zone defense. Stealing the ball as soon as it crosses half court 10 times in a row after you are already winning by 30 or 40 to me is the most embarrassing and insulting thing you can do to a team.

Return to “Girls Basketball”