Waterford @ Eastern 12/6

mhs95_06
S

Re: Waterford @ Eastern 12/6

Post by mhs95_06 »

On the radio they said Brown had 8 pts. Wildcats Kim Barker was leading scorer in the game with 15. They said there were lots of turnovers in the game. Waterford led 41-39 and 43-41 late in the 3rd quarter, which ended 45-43 in Eastern's favor. The 25 pt 1st quarter by Eastern at home gave them a good working margin which left the Wildcats only able to get up by two at their apex of scoring.

I'm not suggesting at all it wasn't a fairly officiated game, but to say this is indicated by an even foul count, I feel is invalid. I've been to games where the foul calls were a 3/1 ratio, and a 5/1 ratio would have been more fair!

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I forgot to congratulate the Eastern Jv team on a nice win tonight also.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

It sounds like a great game that I couldn't attend, and it would be great to hear more about the game and less about the officials. Thanks.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

These teams are pretty evenly matched. It just seemed like Eastern played with a little more intensity and it kind of caught Waterford by surprise.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Key statistic from last night: Turnovers. Waterford 24, Eastern 18. Eastern had 14 steals to Waterford's 2. Foul count was pretty much even.

Team statistics

Field goals: W 20-51 (.392), E 22-51 (.431); Three-point goals: W 2-11 (.182), E 5-15 (.333); Free throws: W 13-21 (.619), E 8-15 (.533); Total rebounds: W 36 (Paxton 12, Barker 14), E 23 (Burdette 6); Offensive rebounds: W 15, E 6; Assists: W 11 (Drayer 5), E 11 (Connery 6); Steals: W 2 (Barker, Drayer), E 14 (Holter 4); Turnovers: W 24, E 18; Personal fouls: W 16, E 17.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Steely Dan wrote:Key statistic from last night: Turnovers. Waterford 24, Eastern 18. Eastern had 14 steals to Waterford's 2. Foul count was pretty much even.

Team statistics

Field goals: W 20-51 (.392), E 22-51 (.431); Three-point goals: W 2-11 (.182), E 5-15 (.333); Free throws: W 13-21 (.619), E 8-15 (.533); Total rebounds: W 36 (Paxton 12, Barker 14), E 23 (Burdette 6); Offensive rebounds: W 15, E 6; Assists: W 11 (Drayer 5), E 11 (Connery 6); Steals: W 2 (Barker, Drayer), E 14 (Holter 4); Turnovers: W 24, E 18; Personal fouls: W 16, E 17.
First of all, great win for Eastern. Secondly, I guess all that practice getting steals against the bad teams didn't help much in this one according to SD's stats. Two steals, are you serious? It would be nice to see the same officiating crew do the rematch, but we know that won't happen. Probably be Yoder, Willy, Dewey and the crew :mrgreen:

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

14 steals for Eastern is an incredible stat with Waterford having outstanding guards

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:14 steals for Eastern is an incredible stat with Waterford having outstanding guards
Agreed. Did Waterford not play half court trap the whole game in this one. That seemed to work really well in their earlier games. They had steal after steal in those games. Why did they go away from that in this one?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HD - The stats provided were published in this morning's Marietta Times. I'm guessing that their press and traps were not effective against the athletes that Eastern has with Connery and Burdette handling the ball, and Eastern being proficient breaking the press and traps. Maybe Class of 86 can elaborate on that.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Well Easterns guards this year are outstanding. Conner,Holter,Maxon,Burdette,Parker. Eastern always has 3 guards on the floor, and they played alot of the game with all 5 of the guards on the floor. Burdette and Parker can rebound so having a center out there isnt too important. With Waterford not really having a true center Eastern was able to play their guards. Waterford wasnt rotating on their press and Eastern found the open man and had many 2 or 3 on 1's.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Steely Dan wrote:HD - The stats provided were published in this morning's Marietta Times. I'm guessing that their press and traps were not effective against the athletes that Eastern has with Connery and Burdette handling the ball, and Eastern being proficient breaking the press and traps. Maybe Class of 86 can elaborate on that.
Thanks for getting the stats for us. So what you are essentially saying is, all that work on the half court trap against Wahama and Miller, prolly averaging 50 steals per game, didn't really pay off in this one. Hmmm... Also read in another thread that maybe those lowly teams that were on the schedule should maybe work a little harder in the off season. So I suppose Eastern must have worked really really hard in the off season. Well kudos to them. :mrgreen:

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Eastern gained 23 Freshman guards that are outstanding and it really helped their depth and they can handle the press much better this year as apose to last year

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:Well Easterns guards this year are outstanding. Conner,Holter,Maxon,Burdette,Parker. Eastern always has 3 guards on the floor, and they played alot of the game with all 5 of the guards on the floor. Burdette and Parker can rebound so having a center out there isnt too important. With Waterford not really having a true center Eastern was able to play their guards. Waterford wasnt rotating on their press and Eastern found the open man and had many 2 or 3 on 1's.
From your recap it seems to me like maybe Waterford could have played some zone defense and possibly slowed Eastern down. WOW! If only they would have practiced that in the earlier games instead of working on steals what could have been...

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Eastern also shoots the 3 pretty well so if Waterford does go to zone next game it will be interesting to see how Eastern responds.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I actually think Waterford went zone a few times, but Burdette was driving right through the middle of it. Eastern knocked down a couple shots and Waterford got out of the zone.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

classof86 wrote:I actually think Waterford went zone a few times, but Burdette was driving right through the middle of it. Eastern knocked down a couple shots and Waterford got out of the zone.
Yeh, that's why I say if they would have only practiced it against those weaker teams. Of course there is some merit to be gained from playing your younger players and having them hound the other teams so everyone will know they played hard. Didn't help in this game though. Maybe some zone practice would have. Alas, I guess we will never know now.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Heavy D wrote:
classof86 wrote:Well Easterns guards this year are outstanding. Conner,Holter,Maxon,Burdette,Parker. Eastern always has 3 guards on the floor, and they played alot of the game with all 5 of the guards on the floor. Burdette and Parker can rebound so having a center out there isnt too important. With Waterford not really having a true center Eastern was able to play their guards. Waterford wasnt rotating on their press and Eastern found the open man and had many 2 or 3 on 1's.
From your recap it seems to me like maybe Waterford could have played some zone defense and possibly slowed Eastern down. WOW! If only they would have practiced that in the earlier games instead of working on steals what could have been...
HD - You're killing me... :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it.

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Post by Birdman »

You people kill me!!! Waterford has been and is probably still the best team in both divisions for years. They stumble one game and everybody thinks they are done.Every team needs an eye opener once in a while. By the way what are they 50-1 now in the TVC. I say it just adds fuel to the fire. WHS wins at home by 10 when they play again.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

birdman wrote:You people kill me!!! Waterford has been and is probably still the best team in both divisions for years. They stumble one game and everybody thinks they are done.Every team needs an eye opener once in a while. By the way what are they 50-1 now in the TVC. I say it just adds fuel to the fire. WHS wins at home by 10 when they play again.
With brothers Willy and Dewey, and ole Yoder making the calls you are probably correct. In the meantime they can average 50 steals and 80 points against some of the lesser teams they play and not learn a thing that will help them in the tough games.

bball009
Waterboy

Post by bball009 »

Heavy D wrote:
birdman wrote:You people kill me!!! Waterford has been and is probably still the best team in both divisions for years. They stumble one game and everybody thinks they are done.Every team needs an eye opener once in a while. By the way what are they 50-1 now in the TVC. I say it just adds fuel to the fire. WHS wins at home by 10 when they play again.
With brothers Willy and Dewey, and ole Yoder making the calls you are probably correct. In the meantime they can average 50 steals and 80 points against some of the lesser teams they play and not learn a thing that will help them in the tough games.
The only way they could win. The game wasnt as close as it looked last night Burdette on the bench almost 2 quarters and parker on the bench a quarter. the two biggest scoring threats for eastern & both only freshman. expect them to be smarter next time and as long as the reffs dont have anything to do with it it eastern by 10 + & even worse for years to come. Good luck to the young eagles team & keep taking down the unsportsman like wildcats!

Return to “Girls Basketball”