fan behavior???

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: fan behavior???

Post by ManitouDan »

I don't get where the sour grapes comment is coming from or actually who it is directed towards -- No team, parent, fan or official was mentioned by name. IMO it's been a good discussion. ( Ok I did mention Clay but Intentionally said it was only 2 fans acting poorly and everyone else was perfectly fine) MD

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

IMO some fans would not be happy if you got a free pizza at the games. Some venues seem to be more abrasive then others. That being said some people might not be well suited for their vocation, be it a nurse, truck driver, teacher, candle stick maker etc. IMO most referees do a good job and usually work as a team and how well they work together is important. In the end the square peg still does not fit in the round hole.

Nagol1
Freshman Team

Post by Nagol1 »

The best coaches and referees sit in the stands!

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I definitely see a more physical game. At Logan this past wed i was at a jr high game and the refs seemed to be allowing more of an AAU style of play (and by that i mean aggressive) but they were calling a fair game both ways when they did call fouls. Unfortunately a young lady from Jackson ended up with a concussion while going after a loose ball. These things happen and the refs did nothing wrong but the girls that don't play AAU aren't use to this style of play and when they start getting more aggresive then it tends to get a little rough out there.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

ManitouDan wrote:I had a funny thought about comments fans make and other people reaction to them . Last night , as our team was in a offensive pickle (girl double teamed or some other distressful situation) our head coach hollers pretty loud "time out" , 2-3 seconds goes by and he screams "TIME OUT" , Well I guess the ref's were concentrating so hard (cough cough) that our plea was not heard and we turned the ball over.

As the ref went by I hollered at him " Cmon We are screaming for a Time Out ! " and this lady beside me gave me the look like " would you just shut up " . I guess to some people you should never ever say a word Lol . MD
I have witnessed the other side of this when someone screamed for a timeout, it was awarded, which was the teams final time out and the head coach came unglued exclaiming, "I never called for a time out!" From there all hell broke loose. The one thing that rings true about fan behavior from what I have observed. The places with the worst fans have trouble getting quality officials. This creates situations for questionable officiating, which causes even more bad behavior from the fans. Never ending cycle.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

I hate when a team is up like 30 and there fans are still complaining

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

I was off the other night from my varsity schedule and decided to attend my jr. high girls game. It was amazing, the fans were screaming at the officials on about every call!!! Guess who were the ones screaming?? yes, it was those parents whose kids were playing!!! When the 8th grade game started you never heard any of those parents from the 7th grade team screaming. I do have to admit that the 8th grade parents were a lot more behaved than the 7th grade parents.

I challenge you all to go to a game that you don't have a kid involved and take in the sounds and sights of the game. This will make you think twice on your reactions at your next game!!!

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

I was off last Saturday night & went and watched Eastern Pike at Clay boys.
I thought the officiating crew done a very nice job...
The fans from both sides were really letting them have it....I think that alot of it may have been emotions from the game being a battle for 1st place in the SOC. It is just sometimes comical to see calls questioned when the official is correct & right on top of the play...
It is funny though, as CB1 stated; Just set back sometimes & listen to what fans are yelling & how they are carrying themselves. Not all fans...It is always just a certain few.....
It is like I always say...We are never correct...If one side of the gym thinks that we are, then just look across to the other side & I promise that they will let us know we are wrong...lol

Also, I called a jr hi girls game last week & a fellow official had a daughter on one of the teams playing. He was on us more than any fan in the gym....
After the game both coaches came over & told us we did a really nice job & said thank you to both of us....Myself, as an official just knowing what we go thru. I would never ever set & yell at another official while observing a game...Whether I had kids playing or not....He should know from experience that we catch enough grief as it is....JMO

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

I worked at Lucasville Prison for 10 years. There were some aspects of the job that were unpleasant. But it was my choice to get up and go every day. As with officiating, its a choice. A lady I sat beside last week got tossed because she said "you need to blow the whistle before someone gets hurt." Mind you her daughter was on the floor injured as she had been shoved down from behind. She didnt cuss, or make threats. The ref had been looking up at us all night. Absolutely some of us were yelling. Some calls are missed, others are blown. Theres a difference. But its a choice to go officiate. Is getting yelled at new??? No. Now the ref who started this thread got on the thread from our game saying if you cuss you get tossed. Well, whoever it was needs to man up and go apologize to her. They are church going people. Plus, my 2 very small nephews were sitting there. If cussing would have been going on they would have to have dealt with us, not some ref with their panties in a wad. If you enjoy doing it, thats great. Im glad someone enjoys it. I personally dont have the temperment. The crew we had at an away game monday night did a great job, so most are pretty good at it. But, dont choose to do it and the cry about the less appealing parts. Just quit. Thats what I did. I found another job. No one should have to put up with being verbally berated by no means. But with an emotional game like basketball, it just comes with the territory. May you should start/stick with football where there fans are a little farther away. And the facts refs can just eject someone at their will is bs too. I wonder how many would be as apt to do it if they were the one that had to personally remove the person???? Just suck it up or move on.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Ole cuzin,
My partner tossed her and told me she was cussing about her daughter who was so called "knocked down". He goes to church also and has no reason to toss someone for nothing!!! We work about every night together and had tossed NOBODY until that incident. I never saw her daughter get knocked down, and Oak hill was on a break (not saying she wasn't) as soon as Oak Hill missed the layup, I stopped the game!! What else should I have done?? How do we as officials no a player is hurt unless we actually see the injury. We have players who are on the floor everynight, if we were to stop the game for everytime a player hits the floor, long night!!! By the way, how is the young girl?? As for us talking to some fans, we are always approched by fans everywhere we go, even @ Oak Hill. We work in 5 different leagues that we are assigned games and work very hard at trying to call a good game!!!
I was also told that her friend and her also went off on an adminstrator and her friend had to be removed. She was also threatening to sue because the bleachers on one side weren't pulled out!!! Come on, lets just say fan behavior sometimes gets a little out of hand!!!!

BASKET_WEAVER8675309
Waterboy

Post by BASKET_WEAVER8675309 »

I am sure there is a tape of thus game and a lot could be cleared up if it was reviewed. i have read on other threads and sites that the mom that was tossed has never been heard saying a cuss word. Just what I read. It has been my experience that place two schools fans together is clearly a big MISTAKE! Can Wheelersburg come up with a logical explanation for why they cant pull the bleachers out on the other side? Are they afraid the opponent will see how few fans they have for their girls? If someone could anser this I would appreciate it.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

as an official all i can say is: if you are an official and are worried about what a fan says(other than profanity), then you need to be concentrating more on the game than on whats going on outside the game.

clevelandbrowns: using the excuse that you cant call every foul or you would be there all night is probably the most absurd thing ive ever heard come out of an officials mouth or keyboard in this instance.

and yes getting voted on by your chapter is just a popularity contest for tourney games. usually the chapter president, vp, sec, and treas are automatic whether they deserve it or not.

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Just a word on this subject. Contary to popular belief us blowing the whistle doesn't prevent injury. All we can do is penalize an act after it happens. We can and do practice "preventative officiating", by talking to the kids, "watch your hands, set that pick, get out of the lane," etc.
The fact that incidental contact can occur is recognized by the NFHS rules, somewhere in there it says " with 10 players in a limited space contact is going to occur that is incidental to the play and should be ignored, this contact, at times, can be violent." Easy example: ball on the floor player A dives for it at the same time player B dives for it and they arrive at the same time. Is the contact violent? probably. Is there a foul? No. Is there a chance for injury? Yes. Any game you watch there are 3 teams on the floor, and all 3 teams are attempting to either play a perfect game or call a perfect game. To paraphrase Mark Twain at the next game be postive at the next game you attend. It will motivate most and astonish the rest.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

nice post blkc

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

FWIW I offered a sincere " Good job" to the guys that worked our last varsity game. I don't remember the name of the entire crew but IMO I've seen Brett Munn do 2 games this past week and both were very well officiated. I don't know if mentioning an official by name is a good idea but since I'm being 100% positive about him I hope it's ok to recognize his good work. MD

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

Normally a goods night work for us is everyone forgetting who called the game, but I'm sure Mr. Munn won't mind the "atta boy".

Mr.Munn just remember one "ah Crap" wipes out ten "atta boys"

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

blockcharge wrote:Normally a goods night work for us is everyone forgetting who called the game

well said.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

qualified101 wrote:as an official all i can say is: if you are an official and are worried about what a fan says(other than profanity), then you need to be concentrating more on the game than on whats going on outside the game.

clevelandbrowns: using the excuse that you cant call every foul or you would be there all night is probably the most absurd thing ive ever heard come out of an officials mouth or keyboard in this instance.

and yes getting voted on by your chapter is just a popularity contest for tourney games. usually the chapter president, vp, sec, and treas are automatic whether they deserve it or not.

That last statement is not true in all chapters. There are chapters that have listed qualifications that must be met. There is also the factor of ratings from coaches and votes from ADs, Assigners and District Boards. If what you said is true in your chapter the members need to do something to change the climate.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

in our chapter its always the same 7 or 8 guys and maybe two diff people every year.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Question fellas, I have 2 makeup home varsity and jv boys and girls games that the original crew cannot do. Does each chapter have an email setting where I can send out multiple emails to crews so that I dont have to make 500 phone calls to try and get a quality crew for these 2 games. I know as an AD, there is a generic email set up so that you can send it to all Southeast ohio AD's. Thanks, and if anybody on here wants to work them, PM me! lol

Return to “Girls Basketball”