oak hill at webster.

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Re: oak hill at webster.

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

We had jv players in the game through out the entire night. I wasnt gloating in the least. I rode the pine when I played, and thought it sucked. Let the other kids in too. Im not saying anything at all about the players in any way, actually taking up for them. You will never in your life see me say anything negative about any kids. Always at half court half way up, love discussing things like class.

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

Captain Cavalier wrote:
Ole_Cuzin_Funk wrote:Well, the JV players never got in. It was obvious what the outcome of the game was gonna be. They practice too.
When did yours go in? I've seen Oak Hill keep the starters in and still pressing in these type of games in the past.
We had jvs start coming in and playing in the first quarter. As for the press, Im not sure the exact time, but if was off in the 2nd qtr.

bryanc45
JV Team

Post by bryanc45 »

all i can say is i wasn't at the game but unforunately we have so much talent on our team not everyone can play. If that was the case. But i don't see our coach trying to run the score up on anyone on purpose.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

First off let me say Oak Hill won fair and square. They were lights out last night. 33 points in one quarter is the highest I have ever seen. They will be tough as always in the tournament.
Im not sure what good putting the JV in down 50 points is going to help with besides droing their self confidence down the well. How would YOU feel if coach throws in the towel and sends you (lets say you are a Freshman on JV, not exactly the best either, if you catch my drift) Quite frankly, I wouldn't be to thrilled to get in there and get pounded (dont forget, you are a 5 ft girl) The problem with most of Websters girls is that most of them dont pick up a basketball from march to November. You can tell who does though and they play Varsity. The best players on the team would be on any other teams JV squad because they are only sophomores and freshman. So why not leave them in? They still have two and a half years ahead of them to get better. There isnt really much of a JV team to work with (numbers and grade level wise)

bones
Waterboy

Post by bones »

OAK HILL ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SW did the same thing at Jackson. Jackson subbed in groups of 3,4 and 5 most of the game. Players #10-#14 were the 5 players almost the entire last qtr and SW had everyone in till the final buzzer. I don't care about the margin but when do those other girls get a chance to play if not in a game like that? Whatever the score was in whatever sport.....I wanted in the game.

SW starts ateam that young may be a reason the numbers are down. Those girls form a talented group but often with talented groups the bench players tend to understand that they don't have much of a chance to ever start so they just give it up a little earlier than they might have otherwise.

They should be pretty good in a couple of years. Good Luck to them.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Ironman92 wrote:SW did the same thing at Jackson. Jackson subbed in groups of 3,4 and 5 most of the game. Players #10-#14 were the 5 players almost the entire last qtr and SW had everyone in till the final buzzer. I don't care about the margin but when do those other girls get a chance to play if not in a game like that? Whatever the score was in whatever sport.....I wanted in the game.

SW starts ateam that young may be a reason the numbers are down. Those girls form a talented group but often with talented groups the bench players tend to understand that they don't have much of a chance to ever start so they just give it up a little earlier than they might have otherwise.

They should be pretty good in a couple of years. Good Luck to them.
Sorry to dissapoint you but if you check the books Webster may have not subbed much in the last quarter but Webster had two or three starters that did not play much at all in that game, including the fourth quarter. The girls you are worry about had a good bit of minutes that night. It may have looked that way to you since you probably dont follow Webster, but rest assured Webster used its bench heavily that night, and remember Jackson has more varsity players that Webster has jv and varsity combined. So when you look at that bench what you are actually looking at is all they have...JV and Varsity.

Do you know who is varsity and who is JV, do you know which girls played JV and which girls played Varsity, and which girls sat out? Do you know who ussually starts and who does not, or who get the majority of playing time?

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

duh

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I just know the 2 best players for SW that night were in the game until the final buzzer against our #10-#14 players. JV was only 2 qtrs so the JV girls/varsity bench certainly didn't get that much PT. Those 2 girls were good players and had good games.....just thought it was strange that they were the ones in at the end of the game and not some of the bench players.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

IRM92 was it even a remotely close game???

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Ironman92 wrote:I just know the 2 best players for SW that night were in the game until the final buzzer against our #10-#14 players. JV was only 2 qtrs so the JV girls/varsity bench certainly didn't get that much PT. Those 2 girls were good players and had good games.....just thought it was strange that they were the ones in at the end of the game and not some of the bench players.

Exactly, the two best players that night! I dont exactly know which two you are refering to, but based on who did play that night, one of them could possibly have been one of the JV members.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm referring to the 2 with about 75% of the points.

They could've been anyone....but if I recall correctly they looked like the best players warming up, the best players that started and their most formidable players throughout the game....especially at the end.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

If SW's best players were not in the game then the scores vs Jackson and Oak Hill would have been even worse than what they were. Coach Johnson has always used her bench. This year it's just a little thin.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

This year is a learning experience for the Lady Jeeps.
Veeeeerrrry young and inexperienced. Sure they will take their lumps this year, but the next two years they will get their chance to do some lumping. Especially when the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade teams start moving up. Lots of talent in Junior high from what I hear. So don't feel sorry for the Lady Jeeps. They will return soon and be around for awhile.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

KNOLLWOOD wrote:Does anyone really care? I would rather know who played well on BOTH ENDS of the floor...
I guess you have to get past high school ball to realize there is so much more to the game than just scoring.

great post!

BASKET_WEAVER8675309
Waterboy

Post by BASKET_WEAVER8675309 »

As a coach, I have been on both sides of this argument and I have heard all these arguments before. Botton line if a coach can not motivate either by practice or by games, such as letting jv play a few minutes of varsity when the score is not a factor, will help any program but the bottom line is players must be motivated to work on their sport year round and not just during the season. Having watched Oak Hill, South Point, Minford, Ironton and Alexander to name a few I think I could pretty well pick out players who work at it year round. That's what it takes to have teams like the afore mentioned.

Return to “Girls Basketball”