Waverly at Clay 1-24-11

Nine20four
Freshman Team

Waverly at Clay 1-24-11

Post by Nine20four »

Clay 68 Waverly 63. Holly Hempill 25 points, 22 rebounds. Clay 9-4, 8-1 conference. Games at much improved East and at Fairland along with home games against Northwest, a tough ND squad, Green, and a makeup game vs. Eastern (for the SOC championship most likely) left to play. Clay controls its own destiny but the early loss at Western is troublesome.

Black Panther
SEO

Re: Waverly at Clay 1-24-11

Post by Black Panther »

How did they lose to Western?

EarlyRooster
Waterboy

Post by EarlyRooster »

Nice job, Clay.
SOC??? It's lookin good
How did the game go tonight? I know the ending, but was it physical?

Nine20four
Freshman Team

Post by Nine20four »

Black Panther wrote:How did they lose to Western?
Let's just say the girls didn't lose this game.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Clay did have some help from the refs. When you look at the scoreboard and the home team has 0 fouls and the visitor has 5 it does appear to be a little off. After saying that, the Tigers did have missed opportunities to score. They do need to play better team ball and make more passes rather than constantly driving the ball in. When they did run plays they executed them well and scored. Clay did well subbing in their players and keeping them fresh.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Clay did a good job boxing out the Tigers and rebounding under the boards. Waverly's Diener and Fisher did a good job rebounding and putting the ball back up for points. Waverly's JV has really been improving and winning some tough games. They have gelled well as a team with everyone contributing. Beating Clay's JV was a big confident booster. Martin has stepped it up on the boards and Wiget has taken more charge on dribbling and shooting. Streitenberger has been shooting very well. There is some great potential coming up from the younger girls for the future.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Good win for the soc 1 , congrats to Clay.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

Other contributors for Clay were Bower with 16pts and Curley with 11pts. I wasn't at the game but I heard that Clay won the game in the 4th Qtr. with their Free Throw Shooting, which is a shock to me because the several games I've gone to they really have struggled at the line.

But, Good WIN for the Lady Panthers!!

teamworkwins
Riding the Bench

Post by teamworkwins »

GET REAL wrote:Clay did have some help from the refs. When you look at the scoreboard and the home team has 0 fouls and the visitor has 5 it does appear to be a little off. After saying that, the Tigers did have missed opportunities to score. They do need to play better team ball and make more passes rather than constantly driving the ball in. When they did run plays they executed them well and scored. Clay did well subbing in their players and keeping them fresh.
Sounded as though most of Clay's free throws came with Waverly fouling to catch up. Not the refs fault if you need the ball. As for Waverly and team ball, the best thing for Waverly to do is shoot the open shots before a turnover. They are not very good at handling the ball, therefore long offensive sets will not play in their favor. 30 turnovers = 30 less shots. I'm sure Waverly would sub if they had more bench. Nice win Clay.

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

Congrats on the win. Clay has struggled with SOC II teams this year. Good to see them get a win over a non conference opponent.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

Most of the foul shots were in the last few minutes of the game, but all the other fouls called previously in the first three quarters were not. The first half of the game the refs were not calling the fouls both ways. But, Waverly did have missed opportunities and that does fall on them. Waverly did not take care of the ball as well as they usually do. They do have some strong players on the bench such as Mays, Wiget and Chitwood. They just need more playing time. I do think Clay played a strong game and congrats to them.

Return to “Girls Basketball”