Rules question...

osumufan
SE

Re: Rules question...

Post by osumufan »

Can't be a jump ball when one kid is standing out of bounds!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Isn't the inbounding player supposed to have 3 feet to be back from the line and therefore back from the defensive player? Many times there is not that much room, many times because the players and coaches chairs are too close to the sideline even though there is plenty of room for the chairs to be back 4' from the line(1' for legs plus the 3') which has always been a pet peeve of mine, like at the Convo come tourney time when there is as much room as needed, but still they put the chairs right near the line. The refs need to be able to run the sidelines OB also.

So I think when this happens, whether or not the defender reached over the line, the ref should check to see if there was 3' available. If not, there should be a do-over with the defender instructed to give the 3'. Also to be fair, the ball should not be allowed to be inbounded to an offensive player that is within the 3' even if it is on the inbounds side of the line. Why should the defender have to give 3' and the offense be able to take advantage of that distance that is inside the line.

If there was no reason that the inbounder could have taken 3' behind the line and the defender did not reach across the line, then I think there is no recourse than to award the ball to the defense.

I see many occasions when I think the ref should properly make the bench chairs be moved back to give the 3'.

FeetballRef
Waterboy

Post by FeetballRef »

HELD BALL See Case Book Play ===>>>>

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the endline
plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1
cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in,
therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If
the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the
arrow following the held ball.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Call a jumpball and see if the coach doesnt get ejected

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

KingJames wrote:Call a jumpball and see if the coach doesnt get ejected
So you are telling us as officials that we should not call the game by the rules in order to keep a coach happy???
Not trying to start an arguement, just curious....
As officials, believe it or not we do our best to get it right...
Letting rules go to keep coaches happy is not getting it right...

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

No but there is no way a jumpball can be called when one player is standing out of bounds

Ryanexpress
Varsity

Post by Ryanexpress »

KingJames wrote:No but there is no way a jumpball can be called when one player is standing out of bounds
I understand that point completely...
The thing is, we don't make the rules...We are just asked to try to get them correct....

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Tell me how many officials know every rule

Ryanexpress
Varsity

Post by Ryanexpress »

KingJames wrote:Tell me how many officials know every rule
I would bet zero...
Obviously not me....lol...
Trust me, I have called four full seasons now & counting jr hi games [2 in a night]. I have called easilly over 200 ball games....
Quite often a situation still happens that I must go home & get the book out or start asking questions....
There are more detailed rules like this one that anyone could ever imagine...

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

There is really no possoble way to learn every rule in that book. I would have a hard time calling this a jump ball. Instinct alone would make me warn the defense and give the ball back to the offense. I have actually never seen this happen

Ryanexpress
Varsity

Post by Ryanexpress »

KingJames wrote:There is really no possoble way to learn every rule in that book. I would have a hard time calling this a jump ball. Instinct alone would make me warn the defense and give the ball back to the offense. I have actually never seen this happen
I had it happen just 2 weeks ago in a high school ladies game....
According to the ruling in the case book [jump ball], I missed the call....

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

im guessing 99.99% of officials out there wouldnt have called a jump ball

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

Jump ball is the correct call. Easy call !

blockcharge
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge »

As Hoppy said jump ball. Also the 3 feet is side to side not back, the player who is throwing in the ball can back out to the parking lot if the wall doesn't stop him. There is no warning for reaching over the line and touching the ball it is an automatic technical. Don't confuse live ball dead ball with the clock running.

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

blockcharge wrote:As Hoppy said jump ball. Also the 3 feet is side to side not back, the player who is throwing in the ball can back out to the parking lot if the wall doesn't stop him. There is no warning for reaching over the line and touching the ball it is an automatic technical. Don't confuse live ball dead ball with the clock running.
Thank you. Excellent rule interpretation. Still learning something everyday I hope. I think this play will still be miscalled but not by you or Hoppy??

hiabuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by hiabuckeye »

Good explanantion.
Over and back rule would be good to explain also for the fans. Most don't understand it.

Hoppy
Riding the Bench

Post by Hoppy »

Plan and simple to have a foul there must be contact between two players. It is on the back (push) and not over the back.

tasman
Waterboy

Post by tasman »

Over the back is yelled at more games than anything. You need displacement to have the foul. If one player is behind another and out jumps the other, is taller, or reaches over and does not make contact no foul is typically called. The foul is called when the player in front is unable to maintain their verticle plan do to the defender pushing from behind or entering this space while the front player is attempting to jump to to recieve the ball.

KingJames
JV Team

Post by KingJames »

Yea there is no such call as "over the back". It is simply a push

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

It all depends on whether team A is home or away. We all know that. LOL

Return to “Girls Basketball”