Division II sectional - Meigs

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Re: Division II sectional - Meigs

Post by pitt87fan »

So what about Marietta, they have 7 losses but 5 of them was when Dawson was out and now she is back. Plus they have the toughest schedule (from the max preps post back up in thread). They could/should have been a 2/3?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

pitt87fan wrote:So what about Marietta, they have 7 losses but 5 of them was when Dawson was out and now she is back. Plus they have the toughest schedule (from the max preps post back up in thread). They could/should have been a 2/3?
Marietta should have been the #1, no doubt! Dawson is a studette, and they play in the strongest league around. Teams like New Philly and Dover are nails. All the other schools ducked and dodged them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We could always go to a 'computer points' based system like football ... its not perfect either, but the lessor of two evils, IMO.

amazinghocks
JV Team

Post by amazinghocks »

All schools ducked and dodged Marietta and Warren.

hiabuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by hiabuckeye »

What if they would let the #1 seeed pick where ever they want on the bracket. Then #2 pick where they want and so on. Would be more fair to the team with a tougher schedule.... probably a better chance of the 4 best teams advancing. Heck wih the politics!!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Athens certainly got the worst draw. Fairfield got a bye then get Vinton or New Lex. Athens must get by a very, very good Sheridan team then get the winner of Unioto and McClain.

amazinghocks
JV Team

Post by amazinghocks »

Vinton is not an easy out.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

amazinghocks wrote:Vinton is not an easy out.
Vinton 0-5 v DII schools. Only two teams in draw have 0 wins v teams their size or bigger. New Lex and Vinton.

Vinton v DII schools
Jackson -L
Marietta - L
Athens x2 -L
Unioto - L

In fact have only beaten one team with winning record all year. They sound like a tough out!

amazinghocks
JV Team

Post by amazinghocks »

You could be right. What is Fairfield Union's record against DII schools and Athens record Pol ?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

amazinghocks wrote:You could be right. What is Fairfield Union's record against DII schools and Athens record Pol ?
According to Max Preps: v DI and DII. Note, Athens lost to Jackson which has the best DI or DII record in the SE District.
Athens 7-2
FU 10-2

Winning % of those teams about 45%

Neither compare to Marietta,

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

Tourna Fairfield Union is 4-1 against division 1 teams. Wins against Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, and Watkins Memorial. Loss against Dublin Jerome. They are 10-1 against Division 2 teams wins against Sheridan, Whitehall, Mifflin, Logan Elm, Circleville x 2, Amanda x 2, Hamilton Township x 2. With loss to Logan Elm.

Athens has definately had Vinton County's number this year but VC has been competitive in all of there other losses this year and last year they gave Marietta a great game in the tournament.

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

I think the best 2 teams in SE division 2 district are Jackson and Marietta with a healthy Dawson.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Falcon Fan wrote:Tourna Fairfield Union is 4-1 against division 1 teams. Wins against Logan, Teays Valley, Canal Winchester, and Watkins Memorial. Loss against Dublin Jerome. They are 10-1 against Division 2 teams wins against Sheridan, Whitehall, Mifflin, Logan Elm, Circleville x 2, Amanda x 2, Hamilton Township x 2. With loss to Logan Elm.

Athens has definately had Vinton County's number this year but VC has been competitive in all of there other losses this year and last year they gave Marietta a great game in the tournament.
Did not realize Amanda was a II. Both have had fine years, funny it came down to a coin toss, respect to both teams. Both dodged Marietta though. Neither wanted anything to do with them!

Falcon Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Falcon Fan »

I agree Pol Pot my worst fear in getting a 3 was that Marietta would somehow slide to 6.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

93Bulldog stated:
"I was kind of surprised to see Athens get the No. 3 seed ... both Fairfield Union and Athens had fine seasons - but I thought Athens had done enough to garner the No. 2 spot ... I heard it came down to a 'coin-flip'? I would love to know what the motivation was behind all the coaches voting - or better yet - would be great if the coaches votes were made public! Its such an intresting dynamic: why coaches vote for certain teams. Did they not want to play this team or play that team - or was their motivation because they wanted to avoid a certain team if they happen to advance?"

93Bulldog,
Coaches go in knowing who will reach where out of each sectional into district and even which teams are likely to come out of district to face what team in a regional semi-final. THIS HAPPENS IN EVERY TEAM SPORT IN OHIO< EXCEPT FOOTBALL. It won't change, AS LONG AS, Coaches can dictate who plays who by seeding into the bracket being PREDETERMINED!!!

Didn't use to be this way, BASED ON SEEDING, YOU PICKED YOUR PLACEMENT ON THE BRACKET. Back then, not vote realistic, Do Me Wrong, I MAY CHOOSE TO PLAY YOU EARLY, MUCH MORE HONEST WHEN I COULD CHOOSE TO PLAY YOU FIRST... :)

Wanted to be like the NCAA -- DON'T BELIEVE THE COACHES HAVE THE ONLY VOTES THERE if any vote AT ALL!!!

Just hope what you get this year, your able to return the favor in the future>>>

Look at the brackets, you can see who worked to avoid who?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

In NcAA seeding, coaches get zero say, bunch of suits sit in room and make decisions.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

That was the POINT, as long as coaches control the seeding AND know what seed goes on which line, they have the power to dictate alot about the tournament match-ups.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

We need a BCS system ... 1/3 computer rankings/system ... 1/3 coaches vote ... 1/3 media vote, including SEOPS posters!

:)

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Now it's time to play. In the words of Jimmy Valvano, "Just win and advance." I love the regular season----- with league games having a special "Kick"----the maneuvering of the draw always entertains me, I love it to. The intrigue and reasoning that comes out in that room is unique only to high school sports. hahahah
What we have now is truly a "Second Season"---most sporting events are about match ups and who can find and exploit them. The tourney rewards and punishes in it's own special way because of the finality of a loss. I remember cutting down the nets against a Symmes team that only the people sitting on our bench believed we could beat---I still have nightmares of watching a Belpre team running around hooting and hollering after beating us----a Belpre team we beat 118 to 99 only a week before! (Ask the Zane Trace AD about this) :)

So, good luck to all and enjoy the ride, and remember only one team in each division will smile after every game has been played.

MVL1981
Waterboy

Post by MVL1981 »

greatone (or anyone else out there),
what do you know about sheridan, and athens? should this be a good game?
with athens being 17-2, doesn't look like too tough of a draw for them?

Return to “Girls Basketball”