Division IV Sectional @ Northwest

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Re: Division IV Sectional @ Northwest

Post by Vision Quest »

IndianFan4life wrote:New schools are nice, but if it were me, and I had a choice. I would keep the girls in that gym. They know how to beat you there. They make it very tough to get into an offense because of the size of the floor. There is no spacing to your offense. East has the same advantage, they are very tough to beat in Sciotoville. If I had an advantage like that I wouldnt give it up. Good luck to all in the tournament.
Honestly, that gym can be a blessing and a curse. Yes, it can be a big advantage for reasons you mentioned but honestly some of those same advantages can hamper you, too. There are teams that don't like to play there and won't schedule because of it, so scheduling can be difficult. It can hurt your own offense, especially when an athletic team like Notre Dame comes in there and can get in your face, there's no where to spread it out or run and hide. (I reference ND because that's one of the few games I've seen them play at home) Plus, SJ has a couple girls that can hit the 3 ball and without a full three point area due to small court size, as ManitouDan referenced, it can minimize your offensive output. Then at tourney time, you will be playing on larger courts and wanting to win at that level can be hindered by the short court preparation.

One of these days it may change, but time will tell.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Vision quest -I definitely see your point about prep for larger courts. I know it frustrated our girls there. Good luck the rest of the way. Gonna b interesting to see how the final few games outcomes effect the seedings.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

The Female Flyers are very good despite being very young. They are well coached, Coach Miller is a former boys coach and is a teacher of the game. ISJ are going to get even better as Haley Bartram who suffered a torn ACL is getting healthy and starting to play more and more minutes. As far as the gym goes, Visionquest was spot on. I coached Jr. High Boys at ISJ and we used the floor to our advantage but at the same time it created a disadvantage for us on the road. The future is bright for the ISJ Girls and thank God Amber Neal and Lindsey Booker learned to shoot from their Mom's and not their Dad's :lol: :lol: :lol:

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Western hasn't come out on top in the big games as of yet, but they are on the verge. Not going to be an easy game for anyone come tournament time. The two freshman, Williams, and Brewster playing well. Going to be a great sectional. Notre dame gonna be tough for everyone though.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield beat Whiteoak at Whiteoak 50-42

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Notre Dame is solid, the Arzen girl can flat out play. St. joe has one of their better teams in years.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

ISJ defeated a big Fairview(KY) team on the road last night by 10 or 12. The Female Flyers are now 14-2 or 15-2 (not sure)

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

Ironton St Joe gets kicked around a lot for their schedule and their gym (which they cannot help) But the fact is Coach Miller has them playing pretty well and they're not a team that I would want to draw because you really dont know how good they are!!!! Still think that ND #1...Clay #2... ISJ #3..... rest of the teams fairly interchangeable!!! JMO!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

go48
Riding the Bench

Post by go48 »

Anyone have any up to date records on these teams?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

dont know records other than ND ( 17-1) but ISJ played us down to the wire last night and actually led most of the game , Their coach does a nice job... The D concentrates on H miller and the two blonde wing players have the green light and encouragement to fire away , and last night fire away they did .. they shot it really well from three... I'd guess they had to hit 10 three's to account for 30 of their 38 points . Gritty ,grind it out W for ND . Western , Raceland , at clay are ND's next three games

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

St. Joe's record is 15-3 after last night's loss, I believe. Sounds like the Lady Flyers played a good game and a gritty effort from Notre Dame sealed the victory. The Flyers do have some nice outside shooters and yes, the two blondies can hit from outside. One is in the normal starting five with the other one having only played part-time due to recovery from an ACL tear and started due to another player being hospitalized with the flu. Congrats to the Lady Titans on their win and nice job to the Lady Flyers for a game well played even for a loss. Congrats to both teams for their nice seasons up to now and hopefully for each a run in the tourney.
Last edited by Vision Quest on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

who is ISJ other loss to and who are their best W's ?

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

Other loss is to Coal Grove at Coal Grove.

Wins are against: Faiview (2), Green (2), Hannan, WV (2), White Oak, Western, Ohio Valley Christian, East, Raceland, Rose Hill (2), Glenwood and someone in the Paint Valley Classic that I can't remember.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vision Quest wrote:Other loss is to Coal Grove at Coal Grove.

Wins are against: Faiview (2), Green (2), Hannan, WV (2), White Oak, Western, Ohio Valley Christian, East, Raceland, Rose Hill (2), Glenwood and someone in the Paint Valley Classic that I can't remember.
I'd like to see the combined records of those teams

sportsfan
JV Team

Post by sportsfan »

On St Joe's schedule, Fairview has 10 wins followed by Western with 8 I believe. if you look at all teams in this sectional, there are only 3 with winning records. ND has won 5 games vs. teams with winning records. St Joe twice, Eastern twice, Clay once. Valley is 9-9. No one else in this sectional has beaten a team with a winning record. Mostly it's because they play the same teams and most are down and struggling. I think you can't use that as a measuring stick.
Look at recent games. SJ beat Green a week ago by 30. Clay went to OT with them a few days later. Last night, SJ led most of the game at ND down a SJ starter to get beat late in the 4 th quarter. Let's see how Clay does against ND in a few days and use that as a comparison.

80sballer
Waterboy

Post by 80sballer »

What has not been mentioned is that ND was also without a starter who scores pretty well and is a great defender. St. Joe and ND are quality teams that on any given night could give most teams a game if not win.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

St. Joe over New Boston 57-29.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak (2-20) destroyed Green 62-41

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

Clay 48
East 37

St. Joe 40
Fairfield 39

frankthetank
Waterboy

Post by frankthetank »

Whats next for st. joe , who do they play and where ?

Return to “Girls Basketball”